closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another cat question- sorry!

Another cat question- sorry!

Derek has started scrapping with a local cat in our back garden. The last 2 nights I've heard them and shouted which ends up with Derek running in through his flap.

Am I doing him any favours by doing this or should I let them fight it out? I don't want him losing his territory and the other cat winning but I also don't want him losing an eye!!

Any ideas what to do??

Thanks,

Alex

Look at him! He's a fanny!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you should do Alex, but he is a cool dude, especially in his bow tie!!!!!

Completely unrelated, but have you thought about buying a robot vacuum for him?

That´s a cool cat!

^^^^ that's brilliant!!

I'd go out into the garden and gee him on Go on deck kick his arse ,something like that and maybe take a wet sponge to cool down in between rounds,hope this helps

I watched The hidden life of cats, worth watching if you can find it...cats are very good at sharing territory, going out at different times of the day/night if they wish to share the same space.

My guess would be to leave them to it, you getting yours to run in, may make it harder for it to find it's own place.

I think we should paws for thought before replying to this thread.

You might get some fighting tails from the tomcats on here, but what's that good fur?

Master
    If he's an outdoor cat then 100% leave him to it. Theres all sorts of kitty politics going on there and the lad can't sort it with his Da watching.

The actual physical side of a cat fight doesn't really last that long, its mostly posturing/growling/hissing, so he'd be very unlucky to get badly injured.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    If he's an outdoor cat then 100% leave him to it. Theres all sorts of kitty politics going on there and the lad can't sort it with his Da watching.

The actual physical side of a cat fight doesn't really last that long, its mostly posturing/growling/hissing, so he'd be very unlucky to get badly injured.
    Thanks mate :)

I realise it's a bit of a weird thread and has already attracted a snarky comment in the draft thread ;)

I know how territorial they are and wasn't sure I was doing the right thing butting in half way through a claw up!

Anyway, I'll leave them be in future :)

Grand Master
    Agree with the previous comments, best to leave him to sort it out. Pussy politics is best handled by pussies, one ends up being the boss and then it all settles down..........usually. Lots of posturing, snarling, hissing but usually not much actual scrapping.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Look at him! He's a fanny!!
    Quality

Cats sort their own stuff out so leave him be, unless the noise is too much, in which case get the hose out.

My daughter's cat was the same. When he was younger he was continually duffed up by another local moggy.

Then he grew bigger and stronger and the problem went away.
    Last edited by Backward point; 11th February 2016 at 11:13.

+1 for leaving him to it. I suspect by bawling him/them out, you're showing the other cat that you're the Alpha male which may undermine Derek? Moreoever though, the majority of cat fights are like the BP here.....lots of posturing, shouting etc but no physical contact?

It's a worry, Alex, isn't it? I've had cats my entire life and I would tend to follow the approach described by EchoSevenNine. That said, I do intervene now and again, because I'm a bit of a softy.

Master
    Not sure if you have a cat flap fitted - but they can be the cause of a lot of problems with other cats coming in & stressing your one out, which can lead to fights & spraying.. A micro chip operated cat flap is a great solution - I have got a 'Sureflap' one & it has been brilliant - a really clever invention & well worth the money..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Not sure if you have a cat flap fitted - but they can be the cause of a lot of problems with other cats coming in & stressing your one out, which can lead to fights & spraying.. A micro chip operated cat flap is a great solution - I have got a 'Sureflap' one & it has been brilliant - a really clever invention & well worth the money..
    We have one too, and hear other cats trying to get in from time to time. Which leaves me wondering what the other cats think when the magic door doesn't work for them... Must get out more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I was going to reply with exactly the same comment. Back when we lived in our old house both of our cats became very timid almost overnight, even when indoors. It soon turned out the local Ginger Tom bully was actually coming into the house, not good and also gross as he sprayed a few doors with scent.

I ordered a Sure Flap from Amazon and replaced the old catflap, straight away everything calmed down and life went back to normal. A worthy investment! The newer models have timers on them too.

My limited experience tells me the generally accepted approach is to video it and put it on YouTube.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Catfight you say..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Thanks mate :)

I realise it's a bit of a weird thread and has already attracted a snarky comment in the draft thread ;)
    It's an open forum and a perfectly sensible question, the handbag swingers are always at the ready round here. "Bullied at school" wasters the lot of them.

Play something from David Teie to the protagonists (link)?

Some people are always discatisfied

Break it up with the TZ-recommended hose-pipe.

Master
    I witnessed a cat fight once, and it wasn't pretty.

Yes, there was a lot of hissing and posturing but when they went for it there was fur flying - literally.

I didn't realise they could move so fast either, until I saw that scrap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I witnessed a cat fight once, and it wasn't pretty.

Yes, there was a lot of hissing and posturing but when they went for it there was fur flying - literally.

I didn't realise they could move so fast either, until I saw that scrap.
    Yeah but those were Norn Iron Cats, there was obviously some sort of feline re-routing issue.

Did you not deploy water cannon?

Master
    One was orange now you mention it, so that could have been the reason for the misunderstanding :-)

Got to leave them to it mate. My Tom fights nearly every day wth a tough son of a gun that has decided to live in one of my sheds. Sometimes my cat wins and some days I have to patch him up. Its cat bussiness not ours . I have had cats all my life and got 3 of my own plus the boarder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    One was orange now you mention it, so that could have been the reason for the misunderstanding :-)
    Speaking of misunderstandings, I overheard someone, the other day, telling another person that the Pope loves cats.
    They replied, “how can you be sure?”, to which the response was, “Well, isn’t the Pope a cataholic ”.

Certainly gives paws for thought.

And there I was thinking that I am the worst purrpetrator of bad cat jokes..
    Last edited by VDG; 12th February 2016 at 01:27.

Never mind the cat fight, I had too many beers last night and now I'm feline rough...