closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Globemaster - Anyone seen or bought one?

Craftsman

Omega Globemaster - Anyone seen or bought one?

Big Birthday this year and fancy a bit of a change around in my small watch collection with the addition of something a little more dressy than my everyday Speedmaster Pro/X-33 or Monaco. I'm not sure I can go the whole way to something plain and dressy - I had a JLC Reverso but ended up wearing it very little before I moved it on. I like the look of the Globemaster in steel on a leather strap from web pictures but no one seems to have one actually in stock. Has anyone bought one or even seen one in the flesh? I can't quite bring myself to go to the Trafford centre boutique but may yet have to as a search around my local ADs has proven fruitless.

Lots of ads for it (in Rose Gold) in Zermatt, but my immediate thought every time was "what a dull looking watch"...

I can't say it doesn't anything for me in pictures, but I had a scout around the watch shops both in Zermatt and Geneva airport and no-one had one on display.

M.

Master
    I took a look at the blue faced version in Omega boutique at the Royal Exchange last week.

Not for me.

Craftsman
    I like the retro piepan dial and the overall simplicity of it but I'd definitely not make any decision on whether I liked it until I saw it in the metal. I'm not a fan of the blue dial (or any blue dial that I can think of) but was a bit concerned as you've pointed out that it may just be the wrong side of the elegantly simple/dull divide.

It looks a bit odd to me. Like a Planet Ocean crossed with a Rolex datejust? - I'd prefer a DJ or PO as opposed to a slightly awkward mish mash

Journeyman
    I've tried a blue faced one in the Omega boutique in London and a white faced one in Geneva airport, both on steel. The white one particularly felt very big, probly due to a lack of strong contrast between the dial and bezel. I really liked the blue one, but it does sit very tall, but the I have the same issue with the current Aqua Terra range, so perhaps not a surprise.

I think in hindsight it works better on leather but in the end I went for something completely different due to a surprise incoming of a Datejust, as discussed in my own Globemaster thread.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments James. Perhaps I've been swayed by the Rose Gold ad shots - off to the boutique next weekend if they have one to check it out in person. No rush - months to go yet!

I'm surprised how little info there is on this model regarding forum reviews since it's launch. I get the impress a lot of people feel it's a bad imitation of a Rolex Datejust. I'm hoping Rolex release the Datejust in a 40mm size like the Day date at Basel this year . If they do I think that will be my next purchase.

Craftsman
    Tried a white dial nice watch but I am sure there are other brands better
    There is a book released by omega in any Shop

Craftsman
    Went to my local ADs yesterday and neither has one in and both told me they aren't released until the end of the month. They are both large Omega dealers with separate "boutique" areas so it seems odd that other dealers have them and they don't. I picked up the brochure, had a look at a few other things and will go to one of the "launch events" such as it is later in the month. Not even in the sticks - you'd think Cheshire would be prime luxury watch territory. Seems amazing that this was launched at Basel last year and isn't out everywhere yet.

Omega Globemaster - Anyone seen or bought one?

They are out but it seems that they are being held in the "official" full Omega boutiques. I popped into the smaller Omega boutique on Oxford Street and they had all models apart from the platinum.

I really like the design and of course the movement is very interesting even with the Omega supported METAs certification.

After trying the blue and white steel watches on both bracelet and strap, I felt the blue dial on leather was the best version. The White was a little anemic to my eyes. For me the watch didn't really work on bracelet as it is more dressy than sporty in my mind. This is it's issue because it really overlaps with the Aqua Terra as a dressy sports watch!

IMHO both models straddle the dress/sport dynamic with the AT better suited to being in the bracelet with the Globemaster better on leather strap. However bear in mind the bracelet version is only around £90 more then the leather versions which retails at £4,785
    Last edited by paw3001; 14th February 2016 at 18:57.

I can confirm that they had the white dial in Geneva airport last week, displayed in the box. The very helpful sales assistant was keen to point it out as a highlight! a very interesting watch, I spent a while looking at the case finish at it is quite different from what Omega have done before.

Journeyman
    I've been eyeing this one up for a while and just came on here to see what everyone thinks. I think I'd get the steel/blue. Love the platinum/white/blue, but don't have that kind of cash to splash...

Craftsman
    Nothing doing in Manchester today - neither the Boutique of WoS have it in and no definite delivery. Both seemed amazed they were out at all anywhere else.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but why is it called Globemaster?
    Seamasters go underwater, Speedmasters have the chronograph and tachy for measuring speed and lap times etc.
    I feel like a Globemaster should have a GMT hand or UTC module. Does it at least have a quickset hour hand?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Does it at least have a quickset hour hand?
    Okay, I just checked and it does have quickset hour hand. I'd still like to see more international style features for it to have this name though. Especially as the 9300 speedy has quickset hour. But that's probably just me :)

Master

Classic, if slightly conservative, design. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Sorry if this is a daft question, but why is it called Globemaster?
    Seamasters go underwater, Speedmasters have the chronograph and tachy for measuring speed and lap times etc.
    I feel like a Globemaster should have a GMT hand or UTC module. Does it at least have a quickset hour hand?
    Try this thread (click the little arrows in the dark blue box, ie View Post):

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Apparently "Globemaster was the name chosen by Omega to market the first models of its Constellation line in the United States"; see Globemaster Son of Constellation?

Craftsman
    That's a nice picture Tinker - still not sure about blue face/blue strap watches in general but that does look nice in that image

Ahem... what's wrong with blue face/blue strap watches?

What I can never understand is blue face watches on black leather straps. What's that all about?

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    That's a nice picture Tinker ...
    Thank you. I try to copy only the best.

Master
    To many, I suppose, the name 'Globemaster' means the old Boeing C17 ...

Master
    And the 'Pie Pan' dial is - er - the old 'Connie' dial, of course ...

Master
    But the bezel has just got to make everyone think of Wilsdorf & Davis.
    Last edited by Tinker; 18th February 2016 at 00:40.

Well, it's not a bad looking watch, some form of 'off the piste' classy GMT complication would be a fantastic opportunity to take some market share of Sky Dweller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Looks like a 'dogs-dinner' IMVHO, can't make up it's mind whether it wants to be a 'Connie' (pie-pan) or a Rolex.

Funnily enough I'd not heard of the globe master until I saw an ad for one in a magazine I was reading last night. My initial thoughts were that it looked like a more boring version of an old datejust. I showed the ad to my wife and her response was "urgh, what is that? That looks like something from the 80s"

I do love her brutal honest nature 😋

I rather like the combination of the pan pie and the coin bezel, I think it looks stronger than any vintage Omegas I can find with coin bezels, eg

Given all the hard and sharp elements, I think despite the 39mm diameter it's going to need to be worn with self-possessed confidence on similarly firmly structured arm
    Last edited by Der Amf; 18th February 2016 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

What I can never understand is blue face watches on black leather straps. What's that all about?

Simon
    Indeed, looks like a bruise. I don't have a single watch on a black strap anyway, can't stand them (unless black shoes, obs.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    Classic, if slightly conservative, design. I like it.
    I like it too, better if it were a tad smaller, say 37mm IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Indeed, looks like a bruise. I don't have a single watch on a black strap anyway, can't stand them (unless black shoes, obs.)
    'A bruise'... I love it, Lewis ;) I do have black-faced watches on black straps though.

I think I may have inadvertently hijacked this thread. My apologies, gents. As you were...

Simon

Master
    There's something not quite right about ...

• the proportions - of bezel to dial, or of indices to bezel, or of bezel to 'pie' flats, or of ... of something to something, and/or ...
    • the number of milled edges on the bezel (144?)
    • the size & location of the date window
    • the way the date window reveals the thickness of the dial
    • or the way the dial is made to appear thick in order to accommodate the window
    • or ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Looks like a 'dogs-dinner' IMVHO, can't make up it's mind whether it wants to be a 'Connie' (pie-pan) or a Rolex.
    I love how people ALWAYS reference Rolex, even when there's a clear association with the same brand...

And they say the Grand Seiko boys are blinkered!

I must say it looks good in blue in the picture posted earlier - All the ads in Zermatt were for a gold one and it looked like something the Dentist from Marathon Man would wear!

Not really my cuppa, though.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 18th February 2016 at 10:56.

Master
    I really like its elegant retro look, except for the fluted bezel. For me it would be a lot nicer with a smooth bezel.

The date window spoils the dial a little as well, I think. I think I could do without the star as well.

Good idea to make the fluted bezel out of something harder than steel

Craftsman
    I think the date window spoils the dial too and not sure about the fluting but that"s why I want to see it in the metal!

Ahem... what's wrong with blue face/blue strap watches?

Simon
    Yep, with you on that one, although blue dials and brown straps seem to be the hardest for me to like.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yep, with you on that one, although blue dials and brown straps seem to be the hardest for me to like. M.
    I 'get' blue dials with tan straps, but not with dark brown ones...

Simon

Anyway, about this Globemaster. I think a fluted bezel will always draw references to Rolex.

I think it's OK, but at this level that's not really good enough, is it? It just seems a bit ordinary to me....

Simon

Master
    Anyway, about this Globemaster. I think a fluted bezel will always draw references to Rolex.

I think it's OK, but at this level that's not really good enough, is it? It just seems a bit ordinary to me....

Simon
    I really like it! Plenty of references to past Omegas, a very scratch/ ding resistant bezel from a material not often used in the industry, an improved co-axial movement, plenty of colour options. I am a bit of a fan of the brand but really see a lot to like and not much 'ordinary' about it. So I will have to agree to disagree with you on the Globemaster.

To start with doubt I could afford one, but I really do like the look of these, especially the blue dialled version. I like the nod to the past.
    What I am less keen on is the apparent width of the second hand - too wide man.

Master
    The back ain't purty ...

Master
    And I just realised ... duh ... that the case really is a tonneau.

Well, it's in keeping with at least two of its predecessors.

Master
    I saw them in the Omega window near Oxford Circus in passing this morning. They are often shown on leather and there's a reason for that I think - on the bracelet they really don't stand out for some reason. I guess the leather strap plays to the sophisticated dress watch feel. I usually like a bracelet but not in this case.

Annual Calendar version, with a variation on the Moser / Skydweller way of indicating months

Omega Globemaster Annual Calendar on A Blog to Watch: link.

Master
    i had a look at one of these the other day. Didn't really want one too badly before, and can't say I do now. Pretty bland, long lug to lug and there's a weird gap between the end links and the case lugs.

Oh and I was told they aren't allowed to display them in the windows until next week, when there will all the stores will have had their deliveries. Apparently. However, they would have happily sold me the one they showed me from the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Annual Calendar version, with a variation on the Moser / Skydweller way of indicating months

That's much better. I'm still waiting for off the piste GMT function, common Omeeega, you can do it!

I saw them in the Omega 'boutique' in the Royal Exchange last week.

The gold one looks just as boring first hand as it did on the ads in Zermatt (IMO), but the stainless one with a blue dial is a smart enough dress watch.

I still can't pretend it excited me, though.

M.