closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presence from an Affordable Automatic Diver?

Presence from an Affordable Automatic Diver?

Background: I've come from various low end Divers, mainly Seiko's Monster, 3 x SKX007/009's and an Orient Mako (which I flipped almost immediately). I'm looking to take a small step up to the next level. With a budget of up to £500, maybe a little more if something really grabs me. I want something with presence, I love my SKX007, but feel it's a little short lug to lug. My wrist is 7-7.25" depending on the season.

I've been considering the Seiko Sumo SBDC031 or 033 @ £280ish, but although it's tried and tested I kinda fancy moving away from Seiko after having had quite a few.

The Certina DS Action Diver Auto. @ £550ish. Not had chance to see this in the metal yet.

Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 Premium @ £450ish. I do like this one, would rather try on first, which can't happen with Steinhart. Worried a little about lightweight of titanium.

Armida A1 45mm @ £410ish (15% off currently). Again, being a micro brand no chance of try before you buy. I do love this watch, but possibly too much presence, if that's possible.

Any thoughts, or alternative suggestions gratefully received.

Stowa Seatime?

Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    Stowa Seatime?
    Very nice, but are they not €1300?

I think you'll not go wrong with the steinhart,you can probably get a cwc around that price,never had one but heard good things

Helson Shark diver 42mm can't get more presence than that... the bracelet is better than on some 3k+ watches and its way under your budget ... also due to Chinese new year they will ship on 18th of feb, but you will get an extra 10% off... seriously you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think you'll not go wrong with the steinhart,you can probably get a cwc around that price,never had one but heard good things
    Not heard of CWC, but thanks, off to have a look.

I do like the Ocean 1 in it's various homage suits, but I also with the titanium 500 was a SS 500

Also, if Helson doesn't tickle your fancy have a look at Helberg and H2O watches made in Germany by Clemens... they are fantastic quality and original designs not like steinhart...

Yiu can also configure it to your likes from the sapphire domed or flat to the hands, bezel etc...
    Last edited by silly; 7th February 2016 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Helson Shark diver 42mm can't get more presence than that... the bracelet is better than on some 3k+ watches and its way under your budget ... also due to Chinese new year they will ship on 18th of feb, but you will get an extra 10% off... seriously you wont regret it.
    Yes, another that I like. Not sure if I like the Armida more though (I think these companies are linked/one in the same aren't they?)

Master
    If I had £500 to spare and was looking for an automatic diver, it would be the Steinhart Triton 100 ATM Black.

I like all of your options except for the Armida. I'm a huge Seiko fan but given the choice I'd go for the Certina because the quality will be excellent and looks wise it's a little different. I kicked myself for not picking one up on SC last year.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Yes, another that I like. Not sure if I like the Armida more though (I think these companies are linked/one in the same aren't they?)
    They are made in the same factory i believe. Peter Helson is a professional diver who founded it. I personally prefer Helson to Armida as they have more original designs and i like the name better...

Also, if Helson doesn't tickle your fancy have a look at Helberg and H2O watches made in Germany by Clemens... they are fantastic quality and original designs not like steinhart...

Yiu can also configure it to your likes from the sapphire domed or flat to the hands, bezel etc...
    Some of those H20 are lovely.

I'm not keen on the Steinhart Triton, but thanks for the suggestion.

Master
    What about a nice Longines Hydroconquest?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I like all of your options except for the Armida. I'm a huge Seiko fan but given the choice I'd go for the Certina because the quality will be excellent and looks wise it's a little different. I kicked myself for not picking one up on SC last year.

Good luck.

I'm going to try on the Certina sometime soon, so we'll see how it is in the metal. It does seem well thought of. What do you men SC?

I loved the Armida ever since I saw this photo:

Journeyman
    I've fallen in love with the Halios Delfin: http://halioswatches.com/halios-delfin/
    Unfortunately, I've already got a Steinhart Ocean 44 and Obris Morgan Aegis on order so probably shouldn't buy any watch yet. I am tempted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    What about a nice Longines Hydroconquest?
    I actually tried one of them on a while back, it was little too understated I felt, didn't take to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
    I've fallen in love with the Halios Delfin: http://halioswatches.com/halios-delfin/
    Unfortunately, I've already got a Steinhart Ocean 44 and Obris Morgan Aegis on order so probably shouldn't buy any watch yet. I am tempted though.
    I nearly bit on the Aegis pre order the other day

I loved the Armida....
    If you love that photo and presence then you might really like those H2O Helbergs with super dome sapphire ... Certina is more on the Tissot / Seiko side... dont think it will give that kibd of presence...

What do you mean SC?
    Sorry. SC means Sales Corner, the place we buy and sell on this forum. You'll need to be a member for six months and have a post count of over 250 to be able to use it.

Sorry. SC means Sales Corner, the place we buy and sell on this forum. You'll need to be a member for six months and have a post count of over 250 to be able to use it.
    Ahh, I thought I had missed so great special offer somewhere lol

Ahh, I thought I had missed so great special offer somewhere lol
    Ha ha, I did, it was a full set in amazing condition for £249!

Just a little correction - you only need 50 posts and 2 months to access it to buy.... 250 and 6 months to sell...

If you love that photo and presence then you might really like those H2O Helbergs with super dome sapphire ... Certina is more on the Tissot / Seiko side... dont think it will give that kibd of presence...
    Yeah, my worry is that it will be 'too much' and end up looking a little ridiculous. It's so difficult when you can't try them on. My original 'easy' option was the Sumo, similar to my much loved SKX divers but bigger with more presence and a step up in quality in all areas. But I started doubting myself.

Just a little correction - you only need 50 posts and 2 months to access it to buy.... 250 and 6 months to sell...
    You're right, my apologies. It has been five years since I got my access and I can hardly remember what I did five days ago

Ouch £249 was a good deal.

Does anyone know if the Soprod in the Steinhart is worth a premium over the usual Miyota 9015/Eta 2824-2 movements in watches in the pricepoint?

Surprised nobody has suggested any of Eddie's range yet. The Smiths PRS-68 or the Precista PRS-3 are both excellent watches within your budget. However, wait for a couple of months and get 50 posts under your belt, and you should be able to pick up a used Dreadnought Voyager for about £500. Now that watch has presence...

Journeyman
    I would have a look at Borealis as well. I'm quite tempted by the pre-order price for the new Bull Shark model. No delivery until november though.

Ouch £249 was a good deal.

Does anyone know if the Soprod in the Steinhart is worth a premium over the usual Miyota 9015/Eta 2824-2 movements in watches in the pricepoint?
    The A10 is as thin as an 2892, so 1mm thinner than a 2824. I think this makes no difference to the thickness of the Steinhart though, iirc.

The one comparison I can remember reading recently said that the A10 felt more agreeable than a 2824 when winding / setting.

That's quite tasty, is it a blasted finish?

That's quite tasty, is it a blasted finish?
    Yes, bead blasted. All the specs here: http://www.timefactors.com/dreadnought.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    I would have a look at Borealis as well. I'm quite tempted by the pre-order price for the new Bull Shark model. No delivery until november though.
    The bull shark is lovely, but it's pretty much a homage isn't it? Great value though, even though I hate how their headline price is what you pay if they ship outside Europe and then add the tax on for us in EU.

Journeyman
    The bull shark is lovely, but it's pretty much a homage isn't it? Great value though, even though I hate how their headline price is what you pay if they ship outside Europe and then add the tax on for us in EU.
    It is a homage but I think it falls within the tribute range instead of the ripoff range. Agree about the price but it's still a lot for the money.

Very nice, but are they not €1300?
    Brand new yes but I picked one up for around £600 and massively regret flipping it (so much so that I am hunting a Prodiver at the moment).

Dammit, nobody has jumped in and said "Get the Sumo, it's a great watch, meets your requirements and you'll be very happy with it!"

Journeyman
    Dammit, nobody has jumped in and said "Get the Sumo, it's a great watch, meets your requirements and you'll be very happy with it!"
    It is nice but the lug-to-lug measurement is a bit much for me. If you can pull it off just go for it.

Master
    Another vote for the Dreadnought Voyager. I have one and they're a fantastic watch for the money with great presence.

Go vintage, you could get a mint serviced depreciation proof 6309 7040 for your budget and have change, loads of presence too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Go vintage, you could get a mint serviced depreciation proof 6309 7040 for your budget and have change, loads of presence too.
    I've never bought vintage/used. To be honest the prospect worries me a little. I was planning on picking up the new turtle later in the year when the hype has died down and prices relax.

What about one of these...?

375g on the bracelet... You definitely know it's there!

Craftsman
    How about a squale 1521.They look good and have a nice retro look. The company has a genuine diving history.

Benarus Moray 42mm?

When I found myself in the same situation I went for this 2nd hand Marathon GSAR.

Grand Master
    Revue Thommen Diver, very very hard to beat at this price point. Proper swiss maker with a long history.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revue-Thomme.../dp/B002GP7IKW
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've had a few 45mm Armida A1s & IMO it's a fantastic watch. It has great presence without being too big due to its lug-to-lug length of 50mm. The one negative for me though is the sapphire bezel. I much preferred the original matte finish of the first generation bezel with the incredible lume. I think the 42mm A1 has this type of bezel.

Master
    I just struggle with the typeface on the bezel of the sumo. It's a great watch, but that typeface is horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I just struggle with the typeface on the bezel of the sumo. It's a great watch, but that typeface is horrid.
    While I don't hate that font, I know what you mean. The limited ed Sumo bezel was much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    I've had a few 45mm Armida A1s & IMO it's a fantastic watch. It has great presence without being too big due to its lug-to-lug length of 50mm. The one negative for me though is the sapphire bezel. I much preferred the original matte finish of the first generation bezel with the incredible lume. I think the 42mm A1 has this type of bezel.
    Do you have any wrist shots of your 45mm? What size wrist do you have?

Do you have any wrist shots of your 45mm? What size wrist do you have?
    My wrist is about the same size as yours. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I've any wrist shots of any of my old A1s but as 45mm watches go they're very wearable. The height though could be an issue for some.

Journeyman
    I don't think anyone's mentioned the PRS-18 yet?

benwoodroffe
    The Dievas Vintage range come up every now and again c£500 used? 47mm