closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Presence from an Affordable Automatic Diver?

Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    My wrist is about the same size as yours. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I've any wrist shots of any of my old A1s but as 45mm watches go they're very wearable. The height though could be an issue for some.
    Thanks, pics would be much appreciated if you find some, especially if you've a similar size wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned the PRS-18 yet?

I think it may be little small for what I'm after, looks very nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Thanks, pics would be much appreciated if you find some, especially if you've a similar size wrist.
    These aren't great but I hope they are of some use to you.

Brilliant, thanks for taking the time. Very helpful.

Craftsman
    If it were me, I would look for an Oris TT1 diver, or the Longines Hydroquest (I know you said you felt it a little understated).

Stowa Seatime (used) would also be a good option, and you might even catch a Tag Aquaracer just in that price range (used).

I have all of these apart from the Stowa, although I have two other Stowas, and they really are well put together,

For me, used is the way to go..

Master
    Lots of good suggestions but the Certina would tempt me if I could carry off something that size, which I can't. There's big and there's super big, the latter looks cool for a while but that can wear off quickly from what I've seen.

Master
    Pricing for these seems to be a bit all over the place (I've seen prices from around £900 to £2300) but the spec looks decent. This particular seller on eBay clearly wants to get rid of their stock of these and has massively reduced their price to just under £500 plus import costs so may be worth a look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181706258867

Last edited by Binsull; 8th February 2016 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Benarus Moray 42mm?

These are lovely watches.

As is the Aegis from Obris Morgan and it's half the price of your budget so you could get 2

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454957518.324429.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    How about a squale 1521.They look good and have a nice retro look. The company has a genuine diving history.
    +1. I'm actually looking myself for a matte blue one... None to be found in stocks these days apparently, due to reappear in March afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Revue Thommen Diver, very very hard to beat at this price point. Proper swiss maker with a long history.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revue-Thomme.../dp/B002GP7IKW
    ^ this is a great suggestion, off to find out more about this model now!

I'd look at a s/h Longines or Oris but if Steinhart are still on your list you could always visit Neil at Chronomaster and try one on there. He's about a hour and half away from you down the M6. He was very helpful when I visited to buy my first Steinhart a few years ago.

Also take a look at the Fortis range? Keep us posted with what you decide!

Jon

There's been a few Oris divers around these parts recently. You can often find these cheap on ebay or grey dealers. Good watches

When you say presence do you just mean you want a big watch? Branding has a part to play. I'd get an Oris or Certina and go used if needed.

Master

I have an Armida too, the 300m A1 though. An excellent watch for the money. Feels very well made and I would certainly say has good wrist presence. Mine came on a rubber strap, which I'm not a huge fan of, so it's now on a rather nice Strapcode Endmill, which suits it very well and if anything adds to the 'presence' you seek.
    Last edited by pstruck; 9th February 2016 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I have an Armida too, the 300m A1 though. An excellent watch for the money. Feels very well made and I would certainly say has good wrist presence.
    The Armidas (and Helsons, which are made in the same factory) are probably the best quality and value microbrand divers out there. They are genuine tool watches, designed to do a tough job, not fashion watches made to look like the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    The Armidas (and Helsons, which are made in the same factory) are probably the best quality and value microbrand divers out there. They are genuine tool watches, designed to do a tough job, not fashion watches made to look like the real thing.
    Just checking out the site and as it's the Chinese New Year the have this up..

"All orders placed between 5th and 17th will get a 15% discount and shipped after the 17th."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    Just checking out the site and as it's the Chinese New Year the have this up..

"All orders placed between 5th and 17th will get a 15% discount and shipped after the 17th."

Oooohh, nice.

Presence from an Affordable Automatic Diver?

I would say in the 4hrs I've owned my Oris it does have more wrist presence than any of my other watches although it could be down to it being a more well known brand and it looking slightly bigger than my hydro on the wrist!?
    http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...psvadtehhv.jpg

That edox is a bargain, sorry forum wouldn't let me quote you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    ^ this is a great suggestion, off to find out more about this model now!

I'd look at a s/h Longines or Oris but if Steinhart are still on your list you could always visit Neil at Chronomaster and try one on there. He's about a hour and half away from you down the M6. He was very helpful when I visited to buy my first Steinhart a few years ago.

Also take a look at the Fortis range? Keep us posted with what you decide!

Jon
    Thanks, very useful info

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    There's been a few Oris divers around these parts recently. You can often find these cheap on ebay or grey dealers. Good watches
    Amazon US had them on Presidents Day with a discount code for £600-£700 dependant on model rubber/SS.

I love the Aquis, and regret not grabbing it, though the tax and shipping made it much less attractive. Shame it wasn't in europe I would have bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
    When you say presence do you just mean you want a big watch? Branding has a part to play. I'd get an Oris or Certina and go used if needed.
    See, size helps, but I'm a believer that presence requires more than just size or brand. Some watches just have a knack of catching the eye and looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    I would say in the 4hrs I've owned my Oris it does have more wrist presence than any of my other watches although it could be down to it being a more well known brand and it looking slightly bigger than my hydro on the wrist!?
    http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...psvadtehhv.jpg
    Looks lovely, congratulations.

Master
    That edox is a bargain, sorry forum wouldn't let me quote you.
    I have one arriving tomorrow. Will let you know what it is like!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    That'll be great, look forward to your experience.

Highly reccommend on of these...

I like the look of the Hydro Sub too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_od...c&_sacat=31387

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Highly reccommend on of these...

They're nice, but a bit too slim for my taste

See, size helps, but I'm a believer that presence requires more than just size or brand. Some watches just have a knack of catching the eye and looking good.
    Agreed. Great design and style goes a long way. But branding is often sidelined with watches as well as other luxury items as a valid reason to buy.
    Take the new Land rover, like it or not it is an epic car and most definitely has presence. Now put a vauxhall badge on it. No less a car but now it has less presence. And if it was less than half the price I very much doubt I could bring myself to buy it.
    Don't get me wrong, the other watches are truly excellent pieces. And without the smaller manufacturers and their loyal customers the watch industry would be in a dreadful place.
    Branding gets overlooked too often. But if it didn't we wouldn't buy a Helson or a Steinhart etc.

Did you get stung with taxes or will you not know 'til it arrives?

Master
    Did you get stung with taxes or will you not know 'til it arrives?
    Yes I have paid taxes of £148 but that is based on the price I paid which was $907 so they will be less on the ebay price of $638.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you think tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Obris Morgan Explorer II? One of my go to holiday watches...very comfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post

Yep, I like the ExpII and the Aegis, I prefer 22/24mm lugs and availability & QC issues put me off a little. Great looking watches for the money though.

My choice would be one of these-
    Helson Sharkmaster

Helson Turtle

Heuer 1000 980.006

Master
    The Triton 100ATM in Black.....

I do like the look of that... Certainly NOT understated. With such radical looks I'd want to know I could return it if needed. I wonder what it looks like with a bracelet?

Dammit, nobody has jumped in and said "Get the Sumo, it's a great watch, meets your requirements and you'll be very happy with it!"
    Had one since 2008 black bezel version, it was worn daily for 7yrs, out of the the watches I own it is the most comfortable to wear, cost was £200 back then bought new over seas.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post

That looks lovely. Just checked their website and 'Sold out'. Doesn't say when they might restock either, so I've emailed them.
    Last edited by D_redd; 10th February 2016 at 13:26.

Master
    Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you think tomorrow.
    It just arrived and I have to say I am very impressed! It certainly has wrist presence and the quality is very good. At the price Ashford have it listed for on ebay it is serious value for money. A few quick shots (the GMT hand is hidden by the minute hand):

Last edited by Binsull; 10th February 2016 at 17:28.

It just arrived and I have to say I am very impressed! It certainly has wrist presence and the quality is very good. At the price Ashford have it listed for on ebay it is serious value for money. A few quick shots (the GMT hand is hidden by the minute hand):

Looks good

Craftsman
    This is what my Oris looks like, its the older diver and has a bright blue face, unusual now...

Here's a pic of it getting invloved in a poker hand

and more recently back on the wrist

Lots of wrist presence, approx 44mm, but extremely comfortable, much more so than my 45mm Omega Planet Ocean.

And its a "premium" brand to boot...(Some might say Oris is not premium, but I think its much more so than the tributes and homages out there)

I definitely see Oris as a premium brand and In my ownin g experience, I don't see the difference between them and Omega other than the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I definitely see Oris as a premium brand and In my ownin g experience, I don't see the difference between them and Omega other than the price.
    Same here. I like the SMP but I don't see it as better than and certainly not worth nearly three times the price of an Aquis.
    But then again, a brand name has value. Just not three times the value...

Craftsman
    To be fair, a lot of that is the incremental price increases.
    When i started buying watches in 2008, the Oris was only marginally cheaper than the SMP, since that time the SMP has increased nearly 100%, and the Oris about 15%

Quote Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
    Same here. I like the SMP but I don't see it as better than and certainly not worth nearly three times the price of an Aquis.
    But then again, a brand name has value. Just not three times the value...

This is what I like about the watch market. The market will stand the Omega price increases due to popularity and it's public profile. Leaving other brands like Oris in their wake. This not only strengthens Omega's brand profile but also illustrates the real value of a brand like Oris.

You just have to try a Tuna

Last edited by wildheart; 11th February 2016 at 15:59. Reason: pictures

I would say though that Oris has been stuck int he midst of not knowing where to concentrate their brand over the last few years. The sheer amount of models that they produce, coupled with many discontinued models hasn't really helped them. Whereas arguably Omega have concentrated on their strengths by focusing their marketing playing on their heritage on a selection of their range.

Also to be fair Oris hasn't moved forward with their movements particularly in recent years. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Oris, I am in agreement in terms of them being great value for money but I don't think its exactly a good comparison. A better comparison I would see would be Tag and Oris as similar price point on some models and share some movements

Thanks for all the replies so far. Sorry I've not replied, not been getting topic reply notifications for some reason.

Davosa Ternos is one of the nicest circa £500 dive watches I've ever seen and handled.

Another (annoying because it's not auto) vote for the Tuna from me, best affordable diver, bags of character and a nice surprise when you actually get one because photos never seem to do them justice.

Auto wise the PRS 18A and a nice 6309 get my vote. Just about doable at £500 maybe.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 11th February 2016 at 18:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think you'll not go wrong with the steinhart,you can probably get a cwc around that price,never had one but heard good things
    I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but that Steinhart is lovely. its making me rethink my obsession with Seiko divers (this is a viewing obsession only of course, I haven't actually bought any yet!)

Master
    Where can you get a SUMO for £280??