closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Penang watch shopping

Penang watch shopping

I am off to Penang next month and am wondering if anybody knows anything about watch shopping there, I believe it is a tax free zone so looking to bag a bargain or two, or am I better getting a deal at KL airport ??

Craftsman
    Would it still be worthwhile after paying VAT on re-entry into UK? I'm not sure what prices are like in Penang.
    I don't remember seeing anything too exciting in KLIA and I pass through there twice a year. I'll be there again next week, so I'll have another look and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Would it still be worthwhile after paying VAT on re-entry into UK? I'm not sure what prices are like in Penang.
    I don't remember seeing anything too exciting in KLIA and I pass through there twice a year. I'll be there again next week, so I'll have another look and report back.
    cool, thanks for that. I have been to Malaysia half dozen times but before I was bitten by the bug really

Penang is no longer duty-free, but nearby Langkawi certainly is, and has truly excellent Rolex selection at the airport shop. The prices in December were certainly very competitive, too.

Edit: scratch that — I got Langkawi airport mixed up with a different stop in SE Asia. I don't think there's much good watch shopping to be had in Langkawi, but Penang will certainly have some places well worth looking at.
    Last edited by Belligero; 8th February 2016 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Penang is no longer duty-free, but nearby Langkawi island certainly is, and has truly excellent Rolex selection at the airport shop.
    Don't other countries have arrangements like UK where visitors can claim tax back on exit?

Edit - Or maybe it's too much hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Penang is no longer duty-free, but nearby Langkawi certainly is, and has truly excellent Rolex selection at the airport shop.
    It's not the duty that's the problem, but the VAT that's due on bringing it back into the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It's not the duty that's the problem, but the VAT that's due on bringing it back into the UK.
    Indeed, Langkawi's duty-free claim to fame seems to be more about cheap chocolate, booze and tobacco compared to the rest of Malaysia.

The VAT due to be paid when bringing a watch back to the UK normally wipes out savings to be made in a lot of countries. For example, if you buy a watch in the US in most cases where I have priced up the watch and then added the VAT it works out as more expensive. For some countries however, this is not true and the savings can exceed the VAT saving. Malaysia at the moment might be as the Ringgit is weak against the £. Currently trading at 6 RM to the £. You will also find watch dealers in Malaysia keen to discount as a lot of Far Eastern dealers are.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I appreciate there should be that to pay. Why is foreign duty/tax not a problem?

Gurney Plaza has Rolex store and AP store, prices are the same there as at the airport. There is also Queensbay Mall, but I can't remember what watch stores they have there.

Malaysia does now indeed have sale tax applied to goods purchased (5% I think) but you can claim this back at the airport when you leave the country.

The airport watch shop in Penang is quite good, but if you see what you want in Penang at Gurney or Queensbay, then buy it there, as they may not have it at the airports.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    Malaysia does now indeed have sale tax applied to goods purchased (5% I think) but you can claim this back at the airport when you leave the country.
    Yes, I believe it was introduced about April 2015. The weak ringgit notwithstanding, the sales tax will make prices less attractive.

Journeyman
    Yes, I believe it was introduced about April 2015. The weak ringgit notwithstanding, the sales tax will make prices less attractive.
    Malaysia's GST is slightly higher at 6%. But agreed, either way watch shopping is not attractive in Penang/ Malaysia.

You can get good deals in KL, shop in town as you can squeeze the dealers for a better discount. You can reclaim gst easily enough, the airport dealers will not offer a good enough discount. For Blancpain, JLC, Zenith, you can do a lot better versus the UK. Assuming Penang has ADs you should do fine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I am off to Penang next month and am wondering if anybody knows anything about watch shopping there, I believe it is a tax free zone so looking to bag a bargain or two, or am I better getting a deal at KL airport ??
    Will you be coming out into KL itself or will you be in Penang and just pass through KLIA?
    I have a cousin who is a pretty high-end WIS in KL and I could check with him re: dealers in KL.

Blog Entries
    As an aside to the main topic of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    The VAT due to be paid when bringing a watch back to the UK normally wipes out savings to be made in a lot of countries. For example, if you buy a watch in the US in most cases where I have priced up the watch and then added the VAT it works out as more expensive. For some countries however, this is not true and the savings can exceed the VAT saving.
    It all depends on the watch brand and dealer. For example, it is usually cheaper to buy a Grand Seiko from Arizona Fine Time in the USA and import it into the UK and pay VAT on import than it is to buy it in the UK.

Klia is a change of flight only, so it's either Penang or airport shop only.

When I purchased my Daytona, the price at KLIA was exactly the same as the store in Penang.

Also as per usual, the dealers would only offer a discount on non-sports models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    When I purchased my Daytona, the price at KLIA was exactly the same as the store in Penang.

Also as per usual, the dealers would only offer a discount on non-sports models.
    Was it still a worthwhile saving in the end, with Malaysian GST (claimed back?) and UK VAT factored into the calculation?

GST was not applicable when I purchased mine and this was while the exchange rate was around 4.6 ringgit to the pound and I paid roughly £6800 for the watch.

I cannot comment on the VAT element.

Craftsman
    ^^^
    That's a good baseline for comparison when I take a look next week. Thanks.

Is Tudor very big in Malaysia?? Maybe a Rolex for the missus. I am going to have a good look for sure.

99.9% of the Rolex stores in Malaysia carry Tudor.

Journeyman
    Is Tudor very big in Malaysia?? Maybe a Rolex for the missus. I am going to have a good look for sure.
    Bought an explorer from woo hing brothers in 2009, prices then were same as prices in KL. Good value if the exchange rates works for you etc. but no such thing as a bargain rolex anywhere in the world ...

Craftsman
    OK, so I have just landed in Kuala Lumpur and did a quick scout round the terminal.
    There is NO Rolex in the main International Terminal. On asking, I was told the Rolex are in the Domestic Terminal for flights arriving from Langkawi etc. I don't understand why that would be the case, but there it is.
    In the International Teminal, there is a shop called "Time" which deals with all the main brands except Rolex. They are located by the Aerotrain shuttle.

Omega Seamaster 300 on leather strap RM 26,602 with discount to RM23, 943. No Govt. Sales Tax charged. I thought I took a photo of this one, but now realise I didn't. Now not sure if it was the Bond LE or not, but I think it was the regular version.

This Speedy was RM 28,490, discounted to RM25,641. No Govt. Sales Tax charged.

Zenith 38mm on bracelet was RM30,471 discounted to RM24,376
    Zenith 42mm on leather strap was RM28,679 discounted to RM22,943
    No Govt. Sales Tax charged

I then wandered over to Mont Blanc, located near Gate 31.
    Ticket prices as marked, but I got offered an immediate 25% discount and further deduction of 4.8% for Govt. Sales Tax.

I haven't checked properly yet, but I think the exchange rate is about RM6 to the pound at the moment, but obviously depends on card/cash, etc.

Apprentice
    Hello,

KL-ian here. Not very sure about watch shopping in Penang, but in KL you can get quite some decent deals compared to the UK. Penang is not a tax-free zone but any GST(VAT) charged can be reclaimed anyway. Most shops have discount for cash transactions as well.

It depends what you're looking for. KLIA airport has no Rolexes in the international departure but Omega and a few other brands can be found.

Msian here.

I'd give second hand watches a go, especially in Malaysia. The marketplace to browse is the following:

http://www.mudah.my/Malaysia/rolex-f...&w=3&so=1&st=s

With a big chunk of sellers being in KL, rest scattered around Malaysia.

Bought my SD 16600 for £3000 a few months ago from a private seller off the site.

Wow thanks so much guys, that is a great help, am taking a separately booked flight from KL to Penang so will be in domestic arrivals and departures at some point, I am liking that 42mm zenith a lot but I don't have a defo one in mind, the second hand option is also interesting.

Apprentice
    Wow thanks so much guys, that is a great help, am taking a separately booked flight from KL to Penang so will be in domestic arrivals and departures at some point, I am liking that 42mm zenith a lot but I don't have a defo one in mind, the second hand option is also interesting.
    I would be extremely cautious dealing with any sellers from that website that Dan has posted. It's sort of like what Gumtree is here in the UK. Many sellers will be legit but always watch out for the cons.

in KL, take a stroll in Bukit Bintang Starhill Gallery to see all the watches you like. If the price is attractive I'd suggest you buy them, but always negotiate hard for discounts. HourGlass is a reputable AD in KL.
    http://www.thehourglass.com/about_history/malaysia

P/S: enjoy the great food in Penang! :) Hope Msia treats you well.

Craftsman
    Just an update.
    I was browsing in KLCC (Petronas Twin Towers) in Kuala Lumpur today and wandered into "Sincere" watches on the Ground Floor. I checked the price of the 42mm Zenith on leather strap. Although not in stock, they quoted me c. RM20,000, compared to the price after discount in KLIA of RM22,943. But then, the one in KLIA is there in the flesh - bird in the hand and all that.
    My impression though, looking at the prices generally, was that despite the high rents etc in KLCC, you are better off buying in KL itself, rather than in the airport, if you can.
    I also wandered into Patek Philippe and asked the price of the 5712, SS, blue dial just to get an idea. Not in stock of course, but RM 117,000, which works out at GBP 20k or so.

im not going to get a chance to get into KL, so airport is gonna have to do

Craftsman
    I remember. But it made me think you might be better off sourcing your watch on land in Penang, as it were, rather than KLIA.

I am certainly going to have a good look, just don't know what really, but it will be fun looking, for me at least

Apprentice
    No harm giving them a call first to enquire about stock levels if you manage to find an AD in Penang online. Or an email will do as well.

Take advantage of the weak Ringgit to buy some beautiful watches :)

Now, is anyone able to source a BLNR in the UK? haha

Just an update.
    I was browsing in KLCC (Petronas Twin Towers) in Kuala Lumpur today and wandered into "Sincere" watches on the Ground Floor. I checked the price of the 42mm Zenith on leather strap. Although not in stock, they quoted me c. RM20,000, compared to the price after discount in KLIA of RM22,943. But then, the one in KLIA is there in the flesh - bird in the hand and all that.
    My impression though, looking at the prices generally, was that despite the high rents etc in KLCC, you are better off buying in KL itself, rather than in the airport, if you can.
    I also wandered into Patek Philippe and asked the price of the 5712, SS, blue dial just to get an idea. Not in stock of course, but RM 117,000, which works out at GBP 20k or so.
    As an aside, had a couple crazy nights at the pool bar, top of traders hotel across from the Petronas towers a few years ago, would love to go back some day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwings View Post
    No harm giving them a call first to enquire about stock levels if you manage to find an AD in Penang online. Or an email will do as well.

Take advantage of the weak Ringgit to buy some beautiful watches :)

Now, is anyone able to source a BLNR in the UK? haha
    Two BLNRs in KL spotted a few days ago, may still be there. One in Bangsar Village Mall, the other in AmCorp mall. IIRC, both ticket prices translated into GBP 6k or thereabouts, but I'm sure open to negotiation.

Update:
    Went back for a proper look. BLNR in Bangsar Village (Hang Thai Watch) is "new", registered 1st Jan 2016 to a Hong Kong dealer, all bits and pieces, stickers in place etc. RM39,900, discounted to RM37,506, about GBP 6,250
    BLNR in Amcorp mall is from 2014, but with stickers etc still in place and full set as well. RM36,800 discounted to RM33,300, about GBP5,550

Not much of a saving, and then there's VAT on return to UK.......
    Last edited by groyn; 20th February 2016 at 09:34.

Craftsman
    As an aside, had a couple crazy nights at the pool bar, top of traders hotel across from the Petronas towers a few years ago, would love to go back some day.
    I'm sure you will have no problems reliving those moments in Penang
    Do update us here on what you find (watches AND bars!)
    Last edited by groyn; 20th February 2016 at 05:31.