closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Phone pics to here. How please?

Phone pics to here. How please?

Nokia Lumina 520 Windows phone. Great camera in it but, in idiots terms, how can I get my pics to posts here?

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Sticky thread in WT:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...sting-pictures

Amongst many other times this has come up.

It's very easy.

Master
    Presumably you’ve a Windows Live account – you can upload them to your OneDrive or a photohosting site such as picturepush (low annual subscription), webshots, flickr, etc.
    From there, you can copy and paste the link for forums.
    Alternatively, if you want to edit the photos, transfer them onto the PC first, then when ready, upload them and copy/paste the forum code or url of the photo itself in OneDrive.

Thanks for that but still waaaay too tekkie! I usually email the pic to me, then load it onto PB, then to here! Maybe someone who uses a Lumina has the answer, avoiding all the rigmarole of the above!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Thanks for that but still waaaay too tekkie! I usually email the pic to me, then load it onto PB, then to here! Maybe someone who uses a Lumina has the answer, avoiding all the rigmarole of the above!
    That's not an unreasonable way to do it. It's how I do it when i'm at work.

You can get photobucket apps for your phone, and do it directly i.e. take a pic on your phone, and then using the app on the phone directly upload it to the image hosting app which will give you a link to copy-and-paste over into the TZUK window.

Just make sure they strip the EXIF (i.e. location) data from the pic. My locked-down work PC has started to refuse to do this, which is why I no longer contribute to the "It's Friday" threads. I suppose I could disable geo-location on my phone, but then i'd probably forget to put it back on after.

Master
    It’s only techy until you do it a few times and get the hang of it/in a routine.
    It’s all part and parcel of expanding your knowledge and usage of the internet – don’t be one of those defeatist technophobes that sits there saying, ”I can’t do it”.
    We all have the ability to learn, especially through doing.

Blog Entries
    Off-topic post:-

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    It’s only techy until you do it a few times and get the hang of it/in a routine.
    It’s all part and parcel of expanding your knowledge and usage of the internet – don’t be one of those defeatist technophobes that sits there saying, ”I can’t do it”.
    Is this not the future of the Internet: The entire photo-hosting website industry is effectively based upon dumbing down. People like having to do nothing and know nothing. If some people still can't/won't get an image from their phone to an Internet-accessible location then it just means that there is still a commercially exploitable niche to be fulfilled.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm with bongo on this - a kindred spirit 😀

I checked out PB but it's getting very poor reviews about losing pics and libraries so have steered clear - this far.

Other fora seem to have a more intuitive way of uploading images and can done very easily from iPhone. Or am I missing the obvious for a technophobe.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Off-topic post:-

Is this not the future of the Internet: The entire photo-hosting website industry is effectively based upon dumbing down. People like having to do nothing and know nothing. If some people still can't/won't get an image from their phone to an Internet-accessible location then it just means that there is still a commercially exploitable niche to be fulfilled.
    Thanks for your help. Sending a pic via email, loading on to PB then putting here hardly constitutes doing nothing. I was asking for a shortcut, not a diatribe.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your help. Sending a pic via email, loading on to PB then putting here hardly constitutes doing nothing. I was asking for a shortcut, not a diatribe.
    My comment wasn't directed at you. I did say that it (my comment) was an off-topic post. Nor was it a diatribe; I was simply observing the apparent direction of things Internetish in the context of the requirements you set out in this thread and PJ S's comment.

But here is concrete, useful, help:-

1) Get a website. Pretty much the cheapest provider will do. There are probably free ones that will do, although I don't know any offhand.
    2) Find an FTP client for your phone. 'Pocket File Manager' has good reports but there are many other FTP clients for Windows Phone.
    3) Using your FTP client, create a folder on your website called /pics or similar. The name and folder structure are up to you.
    4) Optional step: Edit the pictures you have taken, either on your phone or on your desktop/laptop computer using software of your choice.
    5) Now, using your FTP client, upload the final pictures to the /pics folder on your website.
    6) Each pic will have a URL something like this: www.yourwebsitedomain.com/pics/picturefilename.jpg or www.yourwebhostingprovider.com/yoursite/pics/picturefilename.jpg
    7) In your forum messages, enclose the URL for each picture that you wish to display in [img] and [/img] tags.
    8) Done. Your pictures appear.

Any questions? More detail needed? Ask away.

Believe it or not, this is really, really, really easy. When you have got the hang of the workflow it is no slower than using a picture hosting site. It can be faster. It is effectively the key thing that picture hosting sites do you for you.

Picture hosting sites also provide other features but when they fail to work well (which seems to be increasingly common), such features are in my view more trouble than they are worth and get in the way of just displaying a picture. As a viewer of other people's pics, I really, really hate the way that many picture hosting sites faff around with resolution.

A key advantage of hosting your own pics on your own site is all aspects of control and avoidance of loony Ts&Cs. Sure, the website hosting provider might have Ts&Cs but in practice these tend to be less loony, from what I have seen, than those of picture hosting sites. (By "loony" here I mean overly restrictive terms about what you can post, terms about bandwidth use, use of IP, and gok what else).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th February 2016 at 19:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    My comment wasn't directed at you. I did say that it (my comment) was an off-topic post. Nor was it a diatribe; I was simply observing the apparent direction of things Internetish in the context of the requirements you set out in this thread and PJ S's comment.
    Reading my comment back I can see why you might have felt it was directed at you in a negative way. As I say, it was not directed at you and it wasn't even intended to be negative: There is nothing wrong with wanting things to be 'single-tap simple' (or words to that effect). It is the way of things. Anything which takes more than one step is increasingly seen as old fashioned. Some people (well, some techies) bemoan this and I do understand how they feel but there's no point being upset about it because, as I say, it is the way of things.

Indeed, I take the view that it is the role of the techie to make the magic happen for the average, non-technical end user such that the end user need not know what is going on behind the scenes. The real trick is doing this in a transparent way, that can still be monetised (otherwise there won't be a service tomorrow), and which doesn't lock people in or get in the way of more sophisticated uses.

Despite my saying all of the above, I do still wish that people felt it worthwhile learning how things really work under the hood. They will almost certainly find it beneficial. But then I would say that, because I'm an old techie.

I really should upgrade from a teletype terminal to one of those newfangled VDU thingies.

I was asking for a shortcut, not a diatribe.
    To be fair, Mark has got a point: it's not beyond the wit of most members here to upload photos, and if you can't figure it out for yourself you can Google it for yourself. There are also plenty of threads on the forum itself explaining various ways to post photos.

If you are determined to have your hand held through the process, I don't think you get to be all sarcastic/aggressive when someone makes a slightly off-topic remark. That doesn't inspire people to want to help you.

I really shouldn't take your particular kind of bait, but I have.
    I have been asked many times here over the years, by people I've never met for advice/opinions on watches, particularly Speedmasters. I always oblige. I could redirect them to google or elsewhere, along with a sly bollocking for daring to ask for some advice. As this is a shared interest forum which used to have a convivial atmosphere (Bear Pit excluded) I didn't.
    Maybe next time I should adopt the general direction that tz is heading of late and jump in on threads without any practical or helpful input.
    Too many here roll over in these circumstances, I'm not one of them.