closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC B-Uhr Revision

IWC B-Uhr Revision

When was the last time you saw an IWC B-Uhr Cal 52T H6 SC taken apart, probably never, at least I couldn't find any pictures on the net.
    So for your pleasure here is one that needed to be repaired.

The mainspring of my IWC B-Uhr was broken, so the watch was sent to the watchmakers of my confidence;-) with the request to take lots of pictures ... It was worth it!
    The Maltese Cross/Stop-works and the friction spring of the sweep second hand also had to be repaired.
    Under the dial, which by the way was made by Singer, (who amongst others, supplied Rolex) there was a piece of paper/ note which says "Gräfenhainichen", this being carefully coated with Zapon /clear- varnish. The meaning of that we don't know yet, we are still working on it, for sure though, the town Gräfenhainichen is a small rural town ca. 25 km southwest of Wittenberg, southeast of Dessau and northeast of Bitterfeld on the edge of the Düben Heath (Dübener Heide)
    https://www.google.de/maps/place/Gr%...236659f806e0c0

What was there in WW2. respective to the watch?

As far as I know, there are no pictures on the net of a disassembled B-Uhr, so maybe here's a Premiere!
    Dial

Caseback

Movement before disassembly

Inside back case-lid

Movement

Movement without bridge
    [
    Bridge and centre seconds wheel and pinion

Barrel Assy with Stop Works/Maltese-Cross and broken Mainspring

Movement under the dial

Underneath the dial

Hope you enjoyed seeing the movement apart, as much as I did when I first saw the pictures.

Best Regards
    Jimmy

Thanks for these, great to see.

As a wild guess could the dial have been printed in Grafenhainichen, as it had an established printing industry?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thanks for these, great to see.

As a wild guess could the dial have been printed in Grafenhainichen, as it had an established printing industry?
    Well that's a great lead to work on and I thank you for it.

I'd love to hear what you find out.

I'll keep the thread updated on this ;-)

You may find this interesting. Especially the s/n.

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/60097/

Yes very interesting...I wrote it ;-)

Jimmy

Craftsman
    Cool pics

Craftsman
    Very nice pictures thanks or the post

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting pictures Jimmy, not sure on the note, maybe as mentioned the dial was from there or maybe something personal to the assembler of the watch?!
    i am sure this will be used as a reference thread in the future.

mike

Wow is all I can say. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    I'll keep the thread updated on this ;-)
    Did you manage to find out anything about the dial? My research is limited to Google so all I can do is confirm that there were lots of printing firms around there and also a Junkers factory or facility.

Apprentice
    Nice one!

Journeyman

B Uhr

Nice piece. Am starting to like these pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by Pottifar View Post
    Nice one!

Well Gentlemen, the puzzle has been solved !!!
    .My watchmaker got in contact with the person in charge of the town archives of Gräfenheinichen, they dug into their files for information on O.Gräfe...
    They gave him the name and tel. no. of his successor, and he was surprised that O Gräfes successor was awaiting his tel call. Apparantly the town archives had got in contact with him shortly after speaking to my watchmaker.

This is what was told:
    Otto Gräfe (as on the piece of paper O.Gräfe) was indeed a watchmaker and jewler in that town, he was repairing watches for the Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe untill around 1944, he decided to join the SS, which was his downfall. He was sent to Stalingrad, where he died.
    The successor spoke of an old box somewhere in the basement/cellar where, if he remembered rightly, were a few tools and watch parts, still stored from the war years.
    Watch this space...the best is yet to come !

Jimmy

Wow, that's quite a discovery! I'm surprised you aren't on the first flight over :). Now we want pictures of the toolbox.

Enjoyed this thread, thanks. What a great story

.My watchmaker got in contact with the person in charge of the town archives of Gräfenheinichen, they dug into their files for information on O.Gräfe...
    They gave him the name and tel. no. of his successor, and he was surprised that O Gräfes successor was awaiting his tel call. Apparantly the town archives had got in contact with him shortly after speaking to my watchmaker.

This is what was told:
    Otto Gräfe (as on the piece of paper O.Gräfe) was indeed a watchmaker and jewler in that town, he was repairing watches for the Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe untill around 1944, he decided to join the SS, which was his downfall. He was sent to Stalingrad, where he died.
    The successor spoke of an old box somewhere in the basement/cellar where, if he remembered rightly, were a few tools and watch parts, still stored from the war years.

Jimmy
    I think the successor is incorrect on some details here. There were no SS units involved at Stalingrad and the battle there was over by early 1943. Perhaps he meant after the Stalingrad defeat and was talking about events after the battle but further west?

Wonderful to see an original IWC wartime watch, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I think the successor is incorrect on some details here. There were no SS units involved at Stalingrad and the battle there was over by early 1943. Perhaps he meant after the Stalingrad defeat and was talking about events after the battle but further west?

Wonderful to see an original IWC wartime watch, thanks for posting
    Maybe the succsessor mixed things up in his mind, meaning Wehrmacht and transcribing it automatically to SS, Who knows ???

Maybe the succsessor mixed things up in his mind, meaning Wehrmacht and transcribing it automatically to SS, Who knows ???
    Indeed, plenty of opportunity for confusion. My wife first told me that her father was in the SS and it transpired that he was in the SA; being a civil servant (beamter) he had been pretty much given no choice but to join up. Mercifully he was taken POW in North Africa and had a fairly civilised war in the UK and Canada. Of course there were no SS in North Africa either; I believe at the specific stipulation of Rommel.

I'm looking forward to the updates on this one.

This is what was told:

Jimmy
    So any update on this fascinating story? Was there a secret stash of NOS B-Uhr parts?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Classic thread, very interesting

Stalingrad was the winter of 42/43, so maybe the Eastern Front rather than Stalingrad itself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Wonderful article and pictures. Great piece of social history.
    Any info on the box?

Absolutely fascinating...

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

When was the last time you saw an IWC B-Uhr Cal 52T H6 SC taken apart, probably never, at least I couldn't find any pictures on the net.
    So for your pleasure here is one that needed to be repaired.

The mainspring of my IWC B-Uhr was broken, so the watch was sent to the watchmakers of my confidence;-) with the request to take lots of pictures ... It was worth it!
    The Maltese Cross/Stop-works and the friction spring of the sweep second hand also had to be repaired.
    Under the dial, which by the way was made by Singer, (who amongst others, supplied Rolex) there was a piece of paper/ note which says "Gräfenhainichen", this being carefully coated with Zapon /clear- varnish. The meaning of that we don't know yet, we are still working on it, for sure though, the town Gräfenhainichen is a small rural town ca. 25 km southwest of Wittenberg, southeast of Dessau and northeast of Bitterfeld on the edge of the Düben Heath (Dübener Heide)

Best Regards
    Jimmy
    Hi Geronimo, I've seen you have been back on the forum recently. You've got to put us out of our misery! Did you ever get to Gräfenhainichen?