closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Big Pilot Owners & Opinions

IWC Big Pilot Owners & Opinions

I would welcome your feedback on the IWC Big Pilot, including its size and wrist presence - too big for many or most? Pics would be great too.

Thanks for your time.

David
    Last edited by dejjl; 5th February 2016 at 12:24.

Craftsman
    I came very close to buying one last year but the size for me would have made it an occasion watch rather than an every day watch. In the end I decided to get my IWC pilot fix with a Mark XVII which I've really enjoyed at a 1/3 of the price of a Big Pilot.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been so close to committing numerous times, but the crown is huge (albeit for a reason) and doesn't suit a right wrist wearer, or at least my wrist shape.

fwiw i think the 5002 is the nicer of the now growing model options.

I bought one new in 2008 and had it for 4 years. It was very special to me and I rarely wore it, but I have to say it's still one of my favourites. Crown was never an issue for me, in fact I never found its 46mm an issue either. I have 7.5 ish wrists but hands like a shovel, it certainly didn't look too big. It has such a clear glass and dial that would grab attention from across a room. I don't think the strap on mine ever got fully worn in, and I would say it wasn't the most comfortable watch to wear. Perhaps the buffalo straps are more comfortable than the croc?

Craftsman
    I love my BP. I've owned it since new and it always gets compliments. However I have become so close to getting rid of it so many times. The thing for me is I know how much it cost and I always think what else I could have had. The watch sits really well on the wrist, but at times becomes a little too heavy and big if worn for any length of time, so it really becomes a watch that you wear for a special occasions. Timing has also been an issue, with my watch gaining around 6 seconds a day which is right on COSC limits. A lot of people can get past all of this and enjoy the absolute beauty of the dial and hands and appreciate the history of the watch. I would just say don't rush into buying. Try one on and really ask yourself if you could see yourself getting a decent amount of wear out of it.

Hi David

I've had mine for a few years now and have worn it for short periods at a time, it's a large watch and probably not for everyone but it has always brought a smile to my face.

Comfort wise i have no complaints, i have 7" wrist's and at least in my mind i can pull it off (others might disagree), it's definitely not a daily watch but depending on what you have already might be a great addition.

Stunning watches. If I didn't have three IWC watches already, this would be next on my list.

One day.

I have a 7 inch wrist and find the crown does dig the back of my hand (I'm right handed). But...it does look frickin' cool. I've always been in the minority and found the 5004 nicer looking than the 5002!

Master
    Mine is actually the watch I have had for longest. It gets plenty of positive comments.
    Amazingly clear crystal, wears comfortably, though if you are wearing shirt cuffs then it can be not so good. It was my daily wearer for a year or so, but still looks emaculate. Not wearing it much now so been thinking of selling (maybe for the perpetual version) but not taken the plunge.
    If you do buy I would certainly buy pre owned (though I am sure you know that) as you will take quite a hit and there is plenty of pre owned choice.

I picked up mine in Nov and it's rarely been off my wrist since.

My wrist is probably about 7.25" and I find it very comfortable and don't have a problem with the crown (on my left wrist).

I'm used to 43/44mm (Bremont, PAM & Hublot), but also have a 48mm (Edox), so 46mm didn't feel unwieldy.

Mine's the later 5009 model as I prefer the newer style dial with the flash of red on the power reserve.

Craftsman
    I believe it is a great watch an one of my next for sure

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I bought one new in 2008 and had it for 4 years. It was very special to me and I rarely wore it, but I have to say it's still one of my favourites. Crown was never an issue for me, in fact I never found its 46mm an issue either. I have 7.5 ish wrists but hands like a shovel, it certainly didn't look too big. It has such a clear glass and dial that would grab attention from across a room. I don't think the strap on mine ever got fully worn in, and I would say it wasn't the most comfortable watch to wear. Perhaps the buffalo straps are more comfortable than the croc?
    I would echo this. Lovely watch, dial superb but not the most comfortable

Master
    Not owned one but tried them on a couple of times and man they are just incredible, unfortunately by wrist and budget are likely to always be too small, but it is just a wonderfully well made watch.

Craftsman
    One the best watch very good and nice