closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster sub dial question.

Omega Speedmaster sub dial question.

Is there any significance in the two 'faces' the Speedmaster has ie one has sub dials at 3, 6 & 9 whilst others have sub dials at 6, 9 & 12. Does this indicate anything about the watch? Is one 'face' preferable to the other value wise or quality wise?

Master
    The movement will be different. 6,9 & 12 indicates it is likely an automatic based on the Valjoux 7750, 3,6,9 indicates it is probably a manual 1861 moonwatch or a modern 3330 column wheel movement, which whilst not 'in-house' could be seen to be a step up. Speedmaster Pro is the choice for most on here due to the heritage of the watch

This:

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    The movement will be different. 6,9 & 12 indicates it is likely an automatic based on the Valjoux 7750, 3,6,9 indicates it is probably a manual 1861 moonwatch or a modern 3330 column wheel movement, which whilst not 'in-house' could be seen to be a step up. Speedmaster Pro is the choice for most on here due to the heritage of the watch
    ...see also: Compax.

Omega have not used the 7750 for a while now, and the watches they made with this movement are a safe bet as it is a very robust and time tested calibre. The other sub dial orientation of 3, 6 and 9 is mostly seen on the 861 / 1861 movement as mentioned above. these movements are fitted to the Moon watch and its variants, just to state the obvious, the 7750 is an automatic movement, the 861 / 1861 is manually wound. You can't go wrong with either!

More recent chronographs have used the 3301 /3303 movements, these are distinguished with a date at 6 o clock, if you are considering one of these bear in mind that servicing and repair options are more limited, these calibres really need returning to the manufacturer for repair, whereas the 1861 / 7750 options are more flexible in this regard.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MR T View Post
    Omega have not used the 7750 for a while now, and the watches they made with this movement are a safe bet as it is a very robust and time tested calibre. The other sub dial orientation of 3, 6 and 9 is mostly seen on the 861 / 1861 movement as mentioned above. these movements are fitted to the Moon watch and its variants, just to state the obvious, the 7750 is an automatic movement, the 861 / 1861 is manually wound. You can't go wrong with either!

More recent chronographs have used the 3301 /3303 movements, these are distinguished with a date at 6 o clock, if you are considering one of these bear in mind that servicing and repair options are more limited, these calibres really need returning to the manufacturer for repair, whereas the 1861 / 7750 options are more flexible in this regard.
    Just to confuse matters further, Omega currently fit the 3330 movement to several auto Chronos. This is a modified 7750 similar to the 'in house' Longines movement and quite unrelated to the other earlier 33XX stuff. I should think someone familiar with the 7750 could perform some tasks on the 3330 quite happily but something like the 3313 used in broad arrow pieces is way trickier.

Something to consider is the 7750 is a rather thick movement which translates to a thicker, bulkier watch. I much prefer the manual winding 861 and its variants. I would love to get a vintage Speedy with a 321 at some point as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Just to confuse matters further, Omega currently fit the 3330 movement to several auto Chronos. This is a modified 7750 similar to the 'in house' Longines movement and quite unrelated to the other earlier 33XX stuff. I should think someone familiar with the 7750 could perform some tasks on the 3330 quite happily but something like the 3313 used in broad arrow pieces is way trickier.
    the 3330 is a co-axial version of the Longines column-wheel movement, which is itself a 7753 with a column-wheel mechanism and a longer reserve in the barrel, and a 7753 is in turn a 7750 with the subdials moved around to please aesthetes, but missing the day display and crown-operated date advance (which is relocated to the side of the case - bit of a kludge).

I'd take one of these over the 33x3 in the older Speedmasters in an instant. But I've no doubt, given the co-axified nature of the Omega version, that an independent will be very reluctant to service it so it'll have to back to Omega for £££.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    The 3313, from version B onwards at least, does have a couple of things in its favour vs any 7750 derived movement though I grant you it didn't have an easy development being released around 5 years before it was ready, allowing the public to do the snagging. The 7750 in all its flavours is rather thick as noted above whereas the 3313 is one of the slimmest auto chronos out there and also has features like free sprung balance an decent power reserve of 55 hours. The 3313 is what allows the Broad Arrow auto Speedies to be the same thickness as the 1861 models whereas the newer 9300 clean sheet movement models are around 2mm deeper. It is also you could argue a little more 'haute horologie' bearing in mind it is derived from an F Piguet base rather than a 'built to a price with visible plastic bits and Huey gunship rotor noise' Valjoux base. I know a lot has been written slagging off the 33X3 but a working one is a joy to behold!
    Last edited by Padders; 3rd February 2016 at 14:02.

Journeyman
    And if you are not familiar with Speedmasters, it is easy to mix Professional and Automatic (better known as Reduced) models. They both have 3,6,9 dials but larger Professional has minutes dial on the right as Reduced has it on the left. Professional also has the dials closer to the centre point as Reduced has them closer to the bezel. Biggest difference is of course the movement which is manual in Professional and automatic ETA 2890 with added chronograph module in Reduced. Regarding to size and valuation you can take a guess which one is reduced. So if you happen to find a bargain Speedmaster it might be that the seller is selling intentionally or unintentionally Reduced version as a Speedmaster.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The 3313, from version B onwards at least, does have a couple of things in its favour vs any 7750 derived movement though I grant you it didn't have an easy development being released around 5 years before it was ready, allowing the public to do the snagging. The 7750 in all its flavours is rather thick as noted above whereas the 3313 is one of the slimmest auto chronos out there and also has features like free sprung balance an decent power reserve of 55 hours. The 3313 is what allows the Broad Arrow auto Speedies to be the same thickness as the 1861 models whereas the newer 9300 clean sheet movement models are around 2mm deeper. It is also you could argue a little more 'haute horologie' bearing in mind it is derived from an F Piguet base rather than a 'built to a price with visible plastic bits and Huey gunship rotor noise' Valjoux base. I know a lot has been written slagging off the 33X3 but a working one is a joy to behold!
    The Omega 861 has visible plastic bits, although there can always be a good reason for those :)

The Omega 9300 is actually a fraction thinner than the 7750, which is robust but uncompetitive these days, unless heavily breathed on. However I really like the rotor wobble... The Rolex 4130, which I assume was the benchmark for Omega's in-house chrono, is a mm thinner at 6.6mm. Even Breitling "fat" B01 is only 7.2mm - although like Omega, they put their svelte movement in over-large, chunky watch cases.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!