closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nottingham Restaurant Recommendations?

Craftsman

Nottingham Restaurant Recommendations?

Hi All

Taking my mother to Nottingham for her birthday on Saturday for a nice meal out and then we're going to see Fun Lovin' Criminals at Rock City.

I need some recommendations for good restaurants in Nottingham that aren't crazy money, but equally aren't you typical Ask/Prezzo type of chain.

My two experiences of going to Nottingham in the past both involve going with a group of mates and eating in Hooters before seeing a gig... pretty sure my mum wouldn't appreciate Hooters...

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Hearts? Nice view of the city anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

I've been to all the curry joints around Main Marian way, and can say that the Calcutta Club is by far the best. Wonderful food and great staff and owner.

Master
    Going to Jamie's Italian next week.

Craftsman
    Depends on what you are after. Indian on Maid Marian (I prefer Cumin or 4550 Miles from Delhi), some fantastic fish & chips in George's, or British cuisine in The Larder on Goosegate.

Yamas on Thurland street is very good IMHO.
    http://www.yamas.co.uk
    Any of the curry houses along maid Marian way too as mentioned by the previous posters. And George's fish and chips is a great call too...

I was up there last week for my daughter's birthday and we went to Annie's burger shack.
    It's only burgers and quite cheap but possibly the best burgers you'll ever eat!

Master
    Le Bistro Pierre is always worth a visit and not crazy money.

Master
    Most are OK, some are great and there are 100's of them, more opening every day it seems.
    Give us an idea of what food you're after, it'll help narrow it down.

Charcoal Bra.

Though it has possibly been renamed at least a further 40 times due to persistent food hygiene issues since I used it as a stoodunt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was up there last week for my daughter's birthday and we went to Annie's burger shack.
    It's only burgers and quite cheap but possibly the best burgers you'll ever eat!
    Annie's is bloody brilliant. Well worth a visit.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for your responses! Mother had already found Le Bistrot Pierre which does look quite nice, and someone further down suggested Yamas, and another the Calcutta Club. So armed with three very different options i'm sure i'll be able to treat her to a meal she'll enjoy.

Thanks again!

Craftsman
    Highly recommend this place, the last time I went here was a couple of weeks ago and a Monday lunch time. By 12.30 the place was full. Monday lunch....... ☺👍https://petitparisrestaurant.squares...5g32hyb49b8q1u

Thomas Reid
    French Living.

http://frenchliving.co.uk/

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'm going to Harts on Saturday for the 2nd time. It's not amazing, but I good enough I guess.

Sat Bains was ace when I used to frequent it (and I think he now has a second Mich star). But can get very pricey.

Georges (just off Marketplace) - fish and chips par excellence, and a lovely venue. Other stuff too, mostly fish-based
    Le Mistral (Wheelergate) - unpretentious euro cuisine
    Zaap, off Maid Marian Way - Malay/Indonesion street food in a fun venue
    Annies Burger Shack (Lace Market Area) - best burger you will get, nice beers and too cheap
    Edin's (Hockley) - relaxed café restaurant, but proper food, and all local good stuff.
    Bansai (Hockley) - Sushi
    Curry (Maid Marian way) - 4550 miles from Delhi, Calcutta Club, Mem Saab. All outstanding
    Harts (Ropewalk) - Nice, for Mums. Not cheap
    World Service - off Maid Marian way
    Brownes - Edge of ropewalk/Maid Marian way near Playhouse theatre. Proper afternoon tea and usual euro food.

Check their menus online, but all are places I would go myself and be happy to take my mother (60 yrs old)

Craftsman
    No mention of the Greek chippy the top of Hockley.... C'mmn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Yamas on Thurland street is very good IMHO.
    http://www.yamas.co.uk
    Thanks Crazytrain - we went to Yamas on Saturday and had a VERY enjoyable meal!

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    Thanks Crazytrain - we went to Yamas on Saturday and had a VERY enjoyable meal!
    Good to hear it. I practically have to fight my wife to get her to consider going anywhere else!

Anyone with any up-to-date recommendations / new discoveries.

As I said in my previous post (Feb last year!) I usually have to fight my wife to try anywhere other than Yamas. I won that fight last week and we went to Reds BBQ - which was OK, but not amazing. Out again in Notts this weekend for her birthday and Yamas is fully booked already!

If all else fails we'll probably end up with a curry from one of the usual suspects mentioned above - but am wondering if anyone has discovered anywhere exceptional recently?

Master
    If you are looking for Tapas then Baresca is very good and especially at lunchtime is not crazy money. Otherwise Iberico is great but crazy money.

The Calcutta Club is one of my favourite curry houses at the moment.
    Last edited by JustaHunch; 23rd January 2017 at 12:33.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Iberico really nice tapas place. lots opened recently, if you want american Red dog saloon is good

Craftsman
    The only hooters in the UK has to be worth a visit!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    +1 for Iberico really nice tapas place. lots opened recently, if you want american Red dog saloon is good
    Another vote for iberico - excellent tapas

The Mogal-E-Azam on Goldsmith Street, just down from the Royal Concert Hall. Also nearby a little further down Goldsmith's st. is Anila's Restaurant, very cool place.
    Damn, that's made me want to go now...

Craftsman
    Thanks to this thread we are going to ZAAP tonight.
    Mrs B is always on the lookout for somewhere new to eat and I copied a list out of this thread just yesterday. So when she asked what we were doing tonight I fired the list over to her.
    It looks awful from the outside but the interior shots look pretty funky and it has a good looking menu.

I'll report back.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Thanks to this thread we are going to ZAAP tonight.
    Mrs B is always on the lookout for somewhere new to eat and I copied a list out of this thread just yesterday. So when she asked what we were doing tonight I fired the list over to her.
    It looks awful from the outside but the interior shots look pretty funky and it has a good looking menu.

I'll report back.
    Zaap is good more of a casual order lots lunch type of place tho i find, but enjoy it

Enjoy your meal!

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I've been to all the curry joints around Main Marian way, and can say that the Calcutta Club is by far the best. Wonderful food and great staff and owner.
    Agree, lovely food combined with great service.

Spend quite a bit of time in Nottingham with work and nearly always pay a visit to Mr Mans - great food with suitably rude service (although disappointingly not as rude as our local Chinese restaurant/takeaway) - great fun :)