closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It was my friend's bike (fitted with a hidden motor) honest!

It was my friend's bike (fitted with a hidden motor) honest!

A concealed motor has been discovered during the examination of a bike used by a Belgian cyclist at the world cyclo-cross championships. The bike was seized by cycling authorities after Femke Van den Driessche, 19, was forced to pull out of the women's under-23 race due to a mechanical problem.

"It's absolutely clear that there was technological fraud. There was a concealed motor. I don't think there are any secrets about that," International Cycling Union (UCI) president Brian Cookson said.
    The best bit:

Ms Van den Driessche, who had been among the favourites for the title before she was forced to withdraw, has insisted she was "totally unaware" the bike was fitted with a hidden motor.

"It wasn't my bike, it was that of a friend and was identical to mine," she tearfully told Belgian TV channel Sporza.

http://news.sky.com/story/1633189/hi...ists-race-bike

And if you are wondering how you do it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgJ_Uhwfno
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 31st January 2016 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

And if you are wondering how you do it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgJ_Uhwfno
    That is so neat....but not good :(

Craftsman
    Could drastically improve my commute to work, both in time saved and 'red face' improvement.

So, as a professional rider, she didn't notice the bike was doing half the work for her? And regardless, did it switch itself on?

Good luck with that defence.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    So, as a professional rider, she didn't notice the bike was doing half the work for her? And regardless, did it switch itself on?

Good luck with that defence.
    Well I had had one more coffee than usual that day, and the wind was coming over my right shoulder and so I just put it down to that. That and the EPO I had just taken.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    This video gives a good explanation of the technology and its alleged use
    https://youtu.be/8Nd13ARuvVE
    Hardly subtle.

Master
    I'm sure I read that her brother is currently banned due to EPO use...

Master
    Nothing like a good laugh to start a Monday morning. Thank you!

How stupid do some people think the rest of us are?

Master
    Now that they know about this I guess an easy way to eliminate it is maximum weight allowance for the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Now that they know about this I guess an easy way to eliminate it is maximum weight allowance for the bikes.
    not really. you can build a bike to easily pass below the UCI 6.8kg minimum bike weight so very easy to build a bike well below an upper limit to accommodate a small motor or battery.

Top points for effort...or is that no points for effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    This video gives a good explanation of the technology and its alleged use
    https://youtu.be/8Nd13ARuvVE
    Hardly subtle.
    So it's time for parc fermé conditions and scrutineering in the world of cycling?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post

How stupid do some people think the rest of us are?
    Well, just have a look at politicians.
    Also at that they get away with it.
    The vast mayority is that stupid or more so.

Are there teams in these cyclo-cross events or just individuals with a bike?

Master
    The bikes in pro races have been randomly checked for "motors" at least for two years - this is why this one got caught. It all started 3-4 years ago with first suspicions and the UCI reacted quite quickly by getting the equipment to x-ray bikes at races. I don't think they would've invested in that unless they thought that some really were cheating.

Hesjedal's bike also seems to want to take off without him here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8W_S1TW30

Incredible.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Hesjedal's bike also seems to want to take off without him here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8W_S1TW30

Surely that is conclusive? Otherwise the bike is defying the basic laws of physics as far as I can tell.

Craftsman
    Unreal, how will cycling ever clean up it's act!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    So it's time for parc fermé conditions and scrutineering in the world of cycling?
    And for KERS too? Just think of the technology that can be fed through to the rest of us. Sod the example it sets...

You can see why now she fitted that motor...

Mind you her friend was just out of shot and waiting for her....

Impossible to not notice, ban for life is the only reasonable action given previous "issues" in the sport.

Master
    I don't think the Hesjedal case is conclusive. I've had that happen to a downhill bike - when you crash at 60km/h and the wheel is still spinning, it will move like that after you crash.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I don't think the Hesjedal case is conclusive. I've had that happen to a downhill bike - when you crash at 60km/h and the wheel is still spinning, it will move like that after you crash.
    Looks like the bike kicked into 'anti-stall' mode :-)

I seem to remember Boardman replicating the scenario somehow and the bike doing the same thing due to the momentum of the wheel.

This is getting plenty of laughs around the office - too good not to share!

Blog Entries
    Be your own judge... Watch Femke on the RH side of the road. Watch here coming around the corner and accelerating then compare them with the other contenders coming around the corner.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Be your own judge... Watch Femke on the RH side of the road. Watch here coming around the corner and accelerating then compare them with the other contenders coming around the corner.

Menno
    In one of the cycling news sites someone had crunched the numbers and found she was within a very "not normal" small % of Nys's time, and significantly above that of the rest of the women on that corner.

I love that youtube vid - she makes climbing the Koppenberg look like a Sunday club run.

The sad thing is that a British woman actually won the race and I don't think I've seen that mentioned anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are there teams in these cyclo-cross events or just individuals with a bike?

It was the World Champs so National teams rather than Trade teams although that's an interesting question... the regulations put the onus on both the rider and the team to ensure that the bike is 'compliant'. What doesn't seem to be clear is whether that means her trade CX team or the whole Belgian National Team. The UCI aren't known for making particularly clear regulations.

She is a disgrace. She should just admit she is a cheat than give some ridiculous excuse.

Are these 'special' items (one-offs if you like) or is someone mass producing them? Merely ask 'cos I'd love one on my mountain bike - I ain't getting any younger!

Blog Entries
    The bikes in pro races have been randomly checked for "motors" at least for two years - this is why this one got caught. It all started 3-4 years ago with first suspicions and the UCI reacted quite quickly by getting the equipment to x-ray bikes at races. I don't think they would've invested in that unless they thought that some really were cheating.

Well, the footage of Cancellara during the 2010 Paris Roubaix makes you wonder if there's no 'motor' inside that bike. Like Van de Dinessche, Cancellara accelerates só quickly and is still on the saddle where others have to stand on the pedals...

Menno

Master
    ^ I do agree with that, and I think that when UCI quite quickly got the x-ray truck they were not doing that for nothing - they must have quite concrete evidence of mechanical doping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Are these 'special' items (one-offs if you like) or is someone mass producing them? Merely ask 'cos I'd love one on my mountain bike - I ain't getting any younger!
    here you go

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produ...assist_4-0.php

Clearly invented by someone who realised fresh air is nice but all that effort pedalling is just unhealthy...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Surely that is conclusive? Otherwise the bike is defying the basic laws of physics as far as I can tell.
    All other links show motors in the seat tube which drive the cranks. On that video the cranks aren't spinning so if it has a motor it could only be in the rear hub, which I'd find very unlikely given the size/weight of racing hubs. I'd put that spinning wheel down to momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Thanks. Very impressive bit of kit, but at that price I will have to keep going unassisted!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Apparently it is...X-ray cameras on Grand Tour stages:

It is one of a raft measures being announced by the International Cycling Union (UCI) on Wednesday in the fight against technological fraud.

The first proven case of 'mechanical doping' saw Belgium's Femke van den Driessche banned for six years in 2016.

Thermal cameras have been used in the last two Tours de France.

Where are the forum stalwarts rushing to the defence but they're all doing it? It's not cheating it's competing on a level playing field. What else do you suggest, ban every single bicycle in the country.

No, they're a bunch of liars and cheats. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Where are the forum stalwarts rushing to the defence but they're all doing it? It's not cheating it's competing on a level playing field. What else do you suggest, ban every single bicycle in the country.

No, they're a bunch of liars and cheats. Pathetic.

I don't know if I'm included in the 'forum stalwart' cycling apologists but you seem to be rather wound up about a story that's over two years old.

I'd suggest a cup of tea and a nice sit down.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    It's not cheating it's competing on a level playing field.
    Frrrrrrrroooommmmmm, frrrrroooommmmmm, frróóómmmmmm.....