Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

So far tried:

Secrid
    Trove
    Solid design
    Loft of cambie
    And a Ti5 on the way.

Worse than watches ;)

I just bought a ridge wallet from the states after seeing one on sales corner. Really impressed by it and it has the rfid blocking that others don't. Took about a week to arrive via UPS and no taxes or tariffs charged.
    As a bonus just been sent a 10% discount code - use eastersale
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    So far tried:

Secrid
    Trove
    Solid design
    Loft of cambie
    And a Ti5 on the way.

Worse than watches ;)
    And how do they rate against each other?

I've a couple of Secrids and think they're excellent, but interested to know if you think there's better

I have both Secrid and Trove. Although I really like the Secrid - it's clever, slim, good looking, well-made - the Trove wins.

This is really down to two factors, I think. First, the Trove is more flexible. It can take loads of extra cards, easily accommodate notes and can even take the odd coin or ticket. Second, the Trove is soft. You can pick it up along with your phone or keys without fear of scratching either. And it sits in any pocket more comfortably.

Don't be fooled by the seemingly low-tec solution that is the Trove. It's really clever and a brilliantly simple design.

Journeyman
    is it hard to push the cards out of the Trove when packed with cards? i assume you keep the most used one a the top?

Well the secrid was the 1st and I loved it but it's easily my least favourite after trying the others

The trove is excellent. Tiny and clever. You can hold a surprising amount in it. I've had 5 cards and £200 in twenties in it without issue though usually it's just the cards and a couple of post office receipts

The Solid Design in black aluminium is very nice, not as clever but very nicely made and is very tactile.

The Loft of Cambie sport arrived just last week and is again very nice. Clever but wouldn't hold as much as the Trove. Very nice design and well made.

The Ti5 is because I'm on a titanium mission at the minute and the Solid Design titanium is out of stock. Doesn't look as nice in pictures as the solid design but we'll see when it arrives next week.

Also had a ridge in poly-carbonate but didn't like that one and it was moved on the day it arrived.

If i was buying one for a gift then probably the Trove closely followed by the LoC.

As it is I'll probably swap between them all as and when (excluding the Secrid which is in the cupboard)

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    And how do they rate against each other?

I've a couple of Secrids and think they're excellent, but interested to know if you think there's better

I use my Trove all the time except for holiday, when I usually carry more cash and then I used the Secrid Vintage.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Well the secrid was the 1st and I loved it but it's easily my least favourite after trying the others

The trove is excellent. Tiny and clever. You can hold a surprising amount in it. I've had 5 cards and £200 in twenties in it without issue though usually it's just the cards and a couple of post office receipts

The Solid Design in black aluminium is very nice, not as clever but very nicely made and is very tactile.

The Loft of Cambie sport arrived just last week and is again very nice. Clever but wouldn't hold as much as the Trove. Very nice design and well made.

The Ti5 is because I'm on a titanium mission at the minute and the Solid Design titanium is out of stock. Doesn't look as nice in pictures as the solid design but we'll see when it arrives next week.

Also had a ridge in poly-carbonate but didn't like that one and it was moved on the day it arrived.

If i was buying one for a gift then probably the Trove closely followed by the LoC.

As it is I'll probably swap between them all as and when (excluding the Secrid which is in the cupboard)

Another endorsement for Trove here, I liked the first one so much that I bought a second for an alternative colour scheme. These two get a right bashing and are going strong. Perfect for all the cash, cards and ID that I need to carry on a daily basis, very discreet and comfortable.

I have to keep telling myself that I don't need a second one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Trove looks great.

Cannot wait for mine to arrive.

I somewhat not sure about the wallets that show the cards or expose part of them. Rather have them Covered and Protected.

Has anyone used the trove tag ? How does it work ? The short press video doesn't really explain it properly.

Edit. Ahh ok, it sits inbetween your cards in the trove. And also can be placed on key ring too for tracking.
    Last edited by bigup; 16th April 2017 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    is it hard to push the cards out of the Trove when packed with cards? i assume you keep the most used one a the top?
    Yes; but Yes!

Accessing the cards isn't over-elegant - it's a case of pushing them out a little and creating a staggered edge. The elastic allows you to create enough space between them. But the top and bottom are easier, so you just keep your two most frequently-used cards in these positions.

When I need to use one from the middle, I often just pull them all out and fan like playing cards. It's basic, but it works.

With contactless, you don't really need to remove a card. (I keep a security anti-RFID card under the top one.)

I only tend to use one payment card so that's on top and easy to extract. ID, driving licence and backup debit card behind.

After all the posts on here though I would try a Trove! Ive been using a Secrid for about three years a love it but though it would be worth a try.

Where did you get the anti-RFID card from? Thats the only downside of the Trove, although not sure how much of a problem not having it is yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo View Post
    Yes; but Yes!

Accessing the cards isn't over-elegant - it's a case of pushing them out a little and creating a staggered edge. The elastic allows you to create enough space between them. But the top and bottom are easier, so you just keep your two most frequently-used cards in these positions.

When I need to use one from the middle, I often just pull them all out and fan like playing cards. It's basic, but it works.

With contactless, you don't really need to remove a card. (I keep a security anti-RFID card under the top one.)

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Where did you get the anti-RFID card from? Thats the only downside of the Trove, although not sure how much of a problem not having it is yet.
    I use one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-688-...+blocking+card

Journeyman
    Is that same thickness as normal credit card?

I'm Conscious about it taken up a credit card count.

How about this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contactless-Payment-Card-Anti-Theft-Shield-Blocker-Secure-your-RFID-Cards-/351864270747?nav=SEARCH

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Is that same thickness as normal credit card?
    Mine is. But that particular one states 2mm, so slightly thicker. Lots are available and I assume they all do the same thing in the same way.

Rather than rfid protection I tend to only get my Trove out for physical card transactions preferring Apple Pay for contactless and TFL. This means that often I never even get my wallet out at all as Apple Pay is enough for lunch and the train.

Journeyman
    Ordered a SECRID Cardslide today. That's 2 new wallets in space of a few days, Getting kinda addictive :)

https://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/pro...white-bordeaux

Had a chat with them on Facebook and they recommended the silver over the black secrid as the silver will show less scratches over time.

Journeyman
    received the Trove today and WOW, its tiny!

have put 6 of my cards in it and also £35 cash and compared to my current go to Aspinal wallet its a revelation :)

i also received the RFID blockers, £2.50 for 4, is ok i guess, they are paper thin so dont take up any room, i plan to use it in-between my debit and credit card which are both contactless so dont have to take the card out of the Trove

Last edited by bigup; 19th April 2017 at 18:43.

Has anyone tried the flip wolyt from LoC or have most gone in the direction of the wolyt sleeve? Going to try a trove and a LoC one - really like the styling of the LoC.

Craftsman
    Could anyone confirm whether Trove wallets are on sale in a store anywhere to view first?
    Thanks
    James

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    Could anyone confirm whether Trove wallets are on sale in a store anywhere to view first?
    Thanks
    James
    not too sure mate but Slim Wallet Junkie do 30 days returns

go for it! :)

I've used a VIIG (?) card wallet for a few years now, after chancing on it on Kickstarter - a simple design consisting of a wafer of aluminium between two rubber pockets:

These don't seem to be available anymore, and mine's starting to show its age a little, so I've just ordered a Trove to replace it. They look great to me, and it'll be handy to have something that holds cash as well as cards. Should be somewhat lighter too, and at £30 they seem good value.

UPDATED - My Trove arrived today (ordered yesterday) and first impressions are very good. Nice quality, a simple yet clever design, and it's hard to see how it could be more minimalist. Well pleased.
    Last edited by DMC102; 21st April 2017 at 18:10.

Journeyman
    I've never been a fan of having too much stuff in my pockets. Tried various slim wallets over the years until I bought a SECRID. Very neat, very compact and over a year of constant use the mechanism still works faultlessly.
    I didn't go for the model with the cash clasp as I can't be doing with the faff.

Highly recommended.

Craftsman
    Took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Trove from Slim Wallet Junkie, so hopefully I will be as delighted with it as everyone else seems to be.
    Cheers, something else I didn't know I needed from reading this forum!!

Journeyman
    Another day, another Wallet from SlimWalletJunkie

This one is the Secrid Cardslide, in White/Bordeaux. I chatted to the owner via FB and he said the silver secrid wears better over time as scratches are less visible than the black secrid.

i like it!, nice mechanism to slide the cards out, the Cardslide bit is handy too for more cards and cash

think i will alternate between the Trove and Secrid. Good thing about them being minimalistic is changing to another slim wallet is easy peesy :)

a few pics...

Recently got a Huskk minimalist wallet (as it was on sale for £8 on Amazon - back up to £15 now :-( )

It's pretty good, holds 7 cards easily (maybe 10 in a pinch?), a few notes/receipts and even space for some coins.

Recommended (giving t a try at the moment and liking it).

Neat

Good grief - my keyboard is filthy!

Contents

Cheers,

Mark C

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    Took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Trove from Slim Wallet Junkie, so hopefully I will be as delighted with it as everyone else seems to be.
    Cheers, something else I didn't know I needed from reading this forum!!
    I was given a Trove by my g/f for Christmas and have to agree with the rest - I love it!! A brilliant piece of kit. I never used to carry my old wallet as it was just too bulky, but after reading about minimalist wallets on here, I passed on the idea of the Trove or Securid to my g/f.

I don't think you'll regret it - other than it may be the first of a collection :)

Any issue with cards getting bent/damaged in pockets when using the Trove? They look a bit flimsy, nothing supporting the card, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Any issue with cards getting bent/damaged in pockets when using the Trove? They look a bit flimsy, nothing supporting the card, no?
    The cards support themselves once you have more than 3 or 4 in place.

I also usually have three or four cards in place and they create their own rigidity. They can bow a bit if a large wodge of cash is stuffed into only one of the side pockets so I tend to balance it out with low denominations on one side and really low denominations the other. High value notes are not an issue because I hand them straight over to SWMBO.

Yes. Didn't like it at all. Too bulky and rigid for my tastes. If you'd like to try for yourself, PM me and I'll send it to you as a freebie.

I really like the Loft of Cambie. Trove looks good but seems really overpriced for a bit of elastic with some leather stitched onto it.

Branded correctly with a cool box and trendy kickstarter campaign and I suspect I could sell an elastic band as a the ultimate minimalist wallet.

Master
    Yes. Didn't like it at all. Too bulky and rigid for my tastes. If you'd like to try for yourself, PM me and I'll send it to you as a freebie.
    I was looking at this wallet yesterday - the video makes it look convenient - is there a knack to learn ? Rigid is good !

Journeyman
    I've recently bought the additional slide to go with my secrid card slide and my first thoughts were it's stylish, compact and pretty nifty..More storage for additional cards/coins/notes etc. However after a day in my pocket it's now in the draw with all my empty batteries and keys for locks I don't have.

Simply put it's made a very easy to use and very functional card slide a bit of a faff...The outer case doesn't lock onto the card slide so when it's in your pocket you need to be mindful which way up it is when taking out as to not pull them apart. Coins fall out and it's cumbersome. It's very loose and I think this lets it down somewhat and takes away what is very cool about the card slide which is it's zero faff, very easy to use and quick.

3/10

However, i did buy the note band which is very useful, keeps everything together without adding any faff. (i don't like faff)

Underwhelmed by trove. Its a step too far for me maybe. Still happy with the secrid though.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Have been using the Bellroy Card Sleeve for awhile; however, when I need to carry more, which isn't too often, I revert back to a standard wallet.

I decided to try a Secrid to see if I could find one wallet to do all. I purchased the Miniwallet and am giving that a go. It is currently stocked with four embossed cards in the slide (I fine few cards aren't embossed), two in one of the side pockets and one in the other, plus a few notes in the holder - it feels chunky after the Bellroy but it does hold everything I need. Obviously the 'slide' contributes to a lot of the bulk but it feels more substantial than the Trove and that was why I chose it.

I bought this Crabby Wallet at Christmas and love it.

Getting a Secrid leather type one for my birthday this week - will post review / photos
    though must admit with the Curve Card I do not seem to need more than a couple of cards at a time (www.imaginecurve.com)

I bought a Trove but sent it straight back because I have a paper (i.e. not plastic) season ticket that has to be in & out of the wallet twice a day and would therefore have been destroyed in a week or so.

Anyone have any recommendations for something that doesn't involve gripping & scraping cards?

So far quite happy with the secrid wallet - I got this one:

the middle 'flippyuppy' card but really only holds 4-5 cards not 6 as shown in some photos but there's space for 2 more in the fold over bit - but I'm using that for coins and business cards
    doesn't store too many coins but thats why we have coin trays in cars, drawers etc...

its tiny compared to a traditional wallet - so now I can keep my keys and this in one pocket freeing up the back pocket and other pocket.... hurrah

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    I bought a Trove but sent it straight back because I have a paper (i.e. not plastic) season ticket that has to be in & out of the wallet twice a day and would therefore have been destroyed in a week or so.

Anyone have any recommendations for something that doesn't involve gripping & scraping card
    I got a Hammer Anvil. As far as i know it is not sold here, but shipped from LA via Ebay was still only £14-£15. No duty payable.

A few reviews on Youtube.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFID-Block...FxQK7Pg8TSaysg

US Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Anvil-.../dp/B00N9OPBYY

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    I got a Hammer Anvil. As far as i know it is not sold here, but shipped from LA via Ebay was still only £14-£15. No duty payable.

A few reviews on Youtube.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFID-Block...FxQK7Pg8TSaysg

US Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Anvil-.../dp/B00N9OPBYY

Thanks - will have a look.

Craftsman
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but with the secrid wallet, I find it better balanced to one card with the long number to the left, then the next with the long number to the right (if that makes sense!).

This way, I can fit 4 cards and my driving licence in the pop-up.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but with the secrid wallet, I find it better balanced to one card with the long number to the left, then the next with the long number to the right (if that makes sense!).

This way, I can fit 4 cards and my driving licence in the pop-up.

Craftsman
    I have a bellroy which I would highly rate

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You can always make your own out of gaffer tape like my mate Colin does...

Craftsman
    i bought 3 off recommendations off this thread here

a ridge wallet
    a trove wallet
    a secrid mini wallet

the trove suits me best....the secrid gets a look in when i fancy...the ridge well...thats gonna sit in its box forever (unless i can swap it out for another trove....lol)

this place is dangerous