closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New IWC Pilot Mark XVIII

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    Sigh...

Yes, Jack (who's a friend of mine), got it wrong, too. It's not his fault, however, as he wrote that up when the literature being handed out had yet to be corrected. The c.30110 is, and always has been an ETA 2892 base. Trust me, I confirmed it directly with their head watchmaker.

Over dinner.

In Geneva.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - And for the pedants, yes, the Selitta SW300 is, for all intents and purposes, a 2982 clone, but that movement in IWC parlance is referred to as the c.35111.
    I think we'll need a signed statement from him.
    And maybe it would be better if you would just organise a trip to IWC and we could see the movements being put into the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Hodinkee's tongue must be getting tired by now
    No doubt these lingual-labour efforts are mutual.

A press pass at SIHH ensures that its wearer be treated very well on the exhibiting companies' tab, indeed. Despite the difficulties they seem to have with the service of watches, Richemont is a pro at a different sort of servicing — especially when it comes to promoting a division as marketing-dependent as IWC.

The most important purpose of the event by far is to schmooze journalists and retailers. Though it isn't the most subtle or innovative of strategies, it remains highly effective.

Craftsman
    While SIHH is invite-only, and as press you do get two free nights at the President Wilson Hotel (not enough time, but whatever), unlike typical junkets, you fly out on your own dime and and your pay your own way for food (though there are plenty of sponsored dinners) and the remaining days of the trip (most stay for the entire week).

So, while on one level you can claim a measure of autonomy because of how much you paid to be there and cover the show, on another level you're acutely aware that your access to said show can be yanked at any time. Indeed, just for my company to get in as press, EVERY brand showing had to vote on it, and the vote had to be unanimous. If I were to say that this didn't weigh in the back of my head as I was walking the floor and taking appointments, you'd be right in calling me a liar.

It's a very different experience than Basel.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Also, thanks to IWC I got to hang out with Rob Brydon:

In spite of bring an ugly American (which he pointed out to me), I'm a huge fan. As such, IWC has effectively bought my affection.
    Last edited by craniotes; 28th January 2016 at 19:24.

Mark 18

I tried these on this week with a view to purchasing a black dial 39mm model, retailing at just over £3900 on a bracelet.

Came away wondering if it was a smart purchase. For a couple of hundred more (than the bracelet version) I could have an Explorer I chronometer. I'm not knocking the 2892/Sellita movement, it's adjusted to 6 positions and, I would expect, extreamly well finished.

I went home and ordered a PRS-22 instead.

IWC chose not to include a picture of the movement in their catalogue.

Last edited by TimeOut; 25th May 2016 at 20:06.

I had a look at these in Mallory in Bath today, I thought it was a nice size and like the black dial, wife likes the silver dial.

The sales chap brought out the chrono too, clever move. Bigger at 44 but a very nice watch, a lot cheaper than I expected. They are very nice in Mallory, they let me take a few quick camera shot's for looking later. Away at the moment so can not post pictures.

Really like the IWC pilot watches.

I photographed it last week, I like the size and the date position doesn't grate, what I did like was the blue anti glare on the slightly domed crystal but wonder how that will stand up to wear?

I tried the Pilot Mark xviii Miramar. Looked good and I liked the green Kevlar strap. The date window did not put me off.
    Managed to get a fair 15% off for a new model.
    I am tempted. Being ceramic it was very light at 65g.

Andy

Master
    So its basically a Mark 16??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    So its basically a Mark 16??
    Sort of, but with a different dial (the XVIII adds the 6 and 9, which are missing from the XVI), and it's one millimeter larger (39mm vs 40mm).

Anyway, I decided to take the plunge with with white dial, and so far I'm loving it:

Fits right in with his big brothers:

Regards,
    Adam

Very nice trio

Master
    Yeah nice collection of IWC pilots you got there,including the CF3!

The XVIII is sooo much nicer than its predecessor. that "three part" datewindow was a mistake in my eyes. well done iwc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk