closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to schiphol airport on Sunday (Rolex)

Craftsman

Off to schiphol airport on Sunday (Rolex)

With the sole purpose of trying to pick up a Rolex on the cheap

For those that don't know gassan outlet will discount to the equivalent of a duty free price even if you are flying within the EU

Don't know what stock they have and they won't tell me however it's worth the 60 quid return trip from Glasgow

With all the rumours of a price rise it's going to be interesting to see what they have

I'm after one of the following

Sub ND
    Sub date
    SS Daytona
    Deep sea
    Explorer
    Green sub (hulk)

Really just a shot in the dark but I will be sure to take a picture of 2 of the displays if it is any interest to anyone and there's a likelihood I might come back empty handed!

The only frustrating thing is I booked the flights when the euro was at 1.43 to the £ and it isn't sitting so pretty now but let's see what happens.

Andy

Craftsman
    Good Luck!
    I mentioned this in another thread, but early last year I was in Schipol not looking for a Date Sub, but there was one in Gassan for £4,800. I nearly bought it but "common sense" prevailed. I should have bought it

Craftsman
    My friend was working there last week so I sent him to have a look and he said their stock was very limited.

Other forum users have supposedly managed to pay in advance to have an item reserved.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Other forum users have supposedly managed to pay in advance to have an item reserved.
    They can usually do this for everything apart from SS models.

If worst comes to worst I'll have a good night in Amsterdam away from the other half!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    My friend was working there last week so I sent him to have a look and he said their stock was very limited.
    My experience too, on several occasions ... was there on 8th January and was amazed (i) how poor their stock was, at least in the terminal serving the UK (not only of sports models, but of Rolex watches period - I know it is pot luck as to what they have in on any particular day, but really .... ), and (ii) how absolutely appalling the main Rolex 'stand' was. Given my understanding that in recent years they have made ADs spend lots of money on dedicated, high spec Rolex areas in their shops the main Rolex sales point at Schiphol is little more than a market stall stuck in an unloved part of the airport ..... funny old world ....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    My experience too, on several occasions ... was there on 8th January and was amazed (i) how poor their stock was, at least in the terminal serving the UK (not only of sports models, but of Rolex watches period - I know it is pot luck as to what they have in on any particular day, but really .... ), and (ii) how absolutely appalling the main Rolex 'stand' was. Given my understanding that in recent years they have made ADs spend lots of money on dedicated, high spec Rolex areas in their shops the main Rolex sales point at Schiphol is little more than a market stall stuck in an unloved part of the airport ..... funny old world ....
    From what I have heard there are three shops/ stands in total?

Did you see any stainless steel models at all?

I have seen a sub no date which I bought, a white Daytona, numerous seadwellers, both explorer 2s and an explorer 1 as well as datejusts etc.

you will be very lucky to pick up a sub though, I went through there around 8 times over 3 months and only saw the sub nd the once. It had been on display for 1 hour.

Be interested to see how you make out Andy.

Have you warned them a Scot with an eye for a Rolex deal is in bound?!

I was stuck in Schipol for a few hours last summer and they offered to fetch the newly arrived but not yet on display new range of op's if I was interested. Always worth a call now anyway and or a chat when you get there. They are in the business of selling after all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Be interested to see how you make out Andy.

Have you warned them a Scot with an eye for a Rolex deal is in bound?!
    Yes I did actually... They called in extra security haha

Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    From what I have heard there are three shops/ stands in total?

Did you see any stainless steel models at all?
    White gold GMT Master II only in the UK-Schiphol Terminal (Terminal 3) that particular Friday - if a £25,600 (minus 20% VAT of course) watch is classified as 'sport'!!! However, my impression from previous visits and the experiences of others on here suggests every day is a new day at the shop/stand, and it is down to luck .... probably a good thing they didn't have a DeepSea on the day I was there mind!!!!!

I was there in December. I believe the main Rolex concession is in a temporary position due to the shops being upgraded but as said above its literally a few glass cabinets tucked in the corner of the airport departure/arrivals side. I must admit the only steel sports models I saw were the deep sea seadweller and the new seadweller 4000. I know the seadweller 4000 can be had in Europe a lot cheaper than gassan at schiphol. Also, I'd hate to be going now with the euro around the 1.30 exchange rate to the pound. When I was in Greece last year as said above it was 1.44 to the pound. Quite a difference. Only watch id be interested in would be a steel Daytona which would mean you can buy less than uk list, otherwise every other watch I could confidently say you will get cheaper either through a grey or iconic etc....

Master
    ^^^^^^^^
    I would double check that, I bought an EXP-39 new from Gassan in August, £900 under UK list, £400 cheaper than Iconic and papers in my name.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    I would double check that, I bought an EXP-39 new from Gassan in August, £900 under UK list, £400 cheaper than Iconic and papers in my name.
    Agreed iconic is poor for discounts on submariner BLNR etc

Just glanced at their display, very little in, I've been through regularly for the past year and I've never seen a steel sub "sports". They just shrug when I ask when they are getting new stock. Good selection of Tudors though and plenty of others to look at

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Exchange rate was in your favour in August. Did you pay for flights specifically to go to Amsterdam for the watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Just glanced at their display, very little in, I've been through regularly for the past year and I've never seen a steel sub "sports". They just shrug when I ask when they are getting new stock. Good selection of Tudors though and plenty of others to look at
    I'll let everyone know what happens. I'll probably end up getting excited and come back with a bi metal date just for no reason other than I don't want to come home empty handed!

Master
    I went through a spate of travelling through Schiphol a few times towards the end of last year. Didn't see many SS sports models with the exception of the SD4000, which was always in stock. From memory it was 7500(ish) Euro. They had a lot of Datejusts and gold pieces. It's really just down to luck and timing as to what they have on any particular day. They're not the most helpful IME.

Prices from when I went earlier last year

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Schipol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Exchange rate was in your favour in August. Did you pay for flights specifically to go to Amsterdam for the watch?
    No, I was there to visit a friend, just spotted it on display while waiting for my return flight, so popped in bought it and wore it home

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I went through a spate of travelling through Schiphol a few times towards the end of last year. Didn't see many SS sports models with the exception of the SD4000, which was always in stock. From memory it was 7500(ish) Euro. They had a lot of Datejusts and gold pieces. It's really just down to luck and timing as to what they have on any particular day. They're not the most helpful IME.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    +1
    Both times I went in the last year they had the Cameron Deepsea.

Good luck, I've been through twice in the last 8 months looking for a 116610 LV, but alas no luck for me :(

Master
    Good luck, I'm interested to see what stock they have too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Both times I went in the last year they had the Cameron Deepsea.
    Bloody typical Ryan,the last time I was there in November they literally only had an Explorer II and a Pepsi GMT. The time before and not much to speak of either,apart from datejusts and a couple of exotic metal day dates. Had I seen a Cameron on display I'd have literally dived in there,if you'll excuse the pun. :)

good luck OP! i'm flying through there next week might pay them a visit :D 20% off Rolex seems a damn good deal.. unless their stock haven't been sitting on display for years....

Craftsman
    Would love if they had a deep sea blue!

Master
    Make sure you buy a lottery ticket as well, you might have more luck than finding a DSSD blue!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Make sure you buy a lottery ticket as well, you might have more luck than finding a DSSD blue!
    I'm starting to think a date just might be tempting if there's no SS models. Need to do some more research tonight

I found that on the datejusts iconic wasn't far off the airport price.

also make sure your credit card doesn't charge extra for abroad purchases. I got a Halifax card for this as they don't charge.

also I found paying in euros was cheaper than paying in pounds even though the sales staff thought the opposite.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I found that on the datejusts iconic wasn't far off the airport price.

also make sure your credit card doesn't charge extra for abroad purchases. I got a Halifax card for this as they don't charge.

also I found paying in euros was cheaper than paying in pounds even though the sales staff thought the opposite.
    I have a lloyds card with 0% on purchases abroad.

What's the difference in paying between euros and pounds? Always confuses me which is best

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post

According to the Money Saving Expert website:

If they ask 'Do you want to pay in pounds or euros?' – say EUROS

When paying on a card abroad, you're often asked if you want the transaction to be in pounds or the local currency.

As a general rule, never pay in pounds – that means the overseas store/bank is doing the conversion, and rates are awful. For a full explanation of how this 'dynamic' currency conversion works, see Martin's 'Using plastic overseas? Always pay in euros?' blog.

what you can do is select to pay in pounds and it shows on the terminal what you will pay. Remember that number, then pay in euros. I think I saved £200 on a Seadweller paying in euros.

Smile

I have a lloyds card with 0% on purchases abroad.

What's the difference in paying between euros and pounds? Always confuses me which is best

Pick a Sub LV and GMT BLNR for me Andy and I'll pay you in goats/cheesy quavers and a lifetimes supply of tangtastics......you know it's a winning deal.......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Pick a Sub LV and GMT BLNR for me Andy and I'll pay you in goats/cheesy quavers and a lifetimes supply of tangtastics......you know it's a winning deal.......
    Sorry mate don't like quavers..... Now the tangtastics.... That's another story

Thanks all re euro vs pounds advice

Sorry mate don't like quavers..... Now the tangtastics.... That's another story

Thanks all re euro vs pounds advice

Ok, if you're going to give me a hard time I'll push the boat out for a Walkers 6 pack in the flavour of your choice......I have a MOUNTAIN of tangtastics...which are, let's face facts, more additive than crack cocaine.......ahem.....

Do let us know how you get on as this may be something I would be up for doing myself

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Do let us know how you get on as this may be something I would be up for doing myself
    Will do I will post tomorrow night and nothing then on my flight home on Monday in case they get a Monday delivery with new stock

Very interested in this post as planning similar trip in early Feb but Euro seems to have strengthened which adds £400 to sub TT. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Craftsman

UPDATE ******* got a green submariner!!!!!!

Will post pictures tomorrow but they had gmt masters, sub no date, 2x green subs and plenty of datejusts milgauss etc. So if anyone is in Amsterdam there is a green sub still there

Also explorer 1 and explorer 2. The lady said they got a delivery on Friday and got a BLNR and Daytona but both gone

Craftsman
    Outstanding! Well done!

Well done!

Craftsman
    As an aside do not pay in GBP - the lady had the screen up and the exchange rate for paying in pounds was 1.18

Delivery on Friday - great timing!!! Well done. The LV sub is top of my wanted list.

Master
    As an aside do not pay in GBP - the lady had the screen up and the exchange rate for paying in pounds was 1.18
    1.18! That's scandalous

Well done.... Lucky so and so 😜

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    1.18! That's scandalous
    Tell me about it although the woman was helpful, didn't name the card (want daughters name in it) and kept all stickers on

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good result for you, glad the round trip wasn't a waste.

Craftsman
    Excellent! What was your total saving?