closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly

I've just come across the National Television Awards on the TV and was shocked to see Billy Connolly and how Parkinson's has taken a hold. He is, bar none, the funniest person I have ever seen. Around 10 years ago I was sat in the front row at Bristol Colston Hall and my cheeks (facial!!) were aching. He is THE most brilliant observational comedian.

We're going to see him on tour in a month or so , looking forward to it..

Master
    Still entertaining an the audience, even without the animated waving of arms and really milking the laughs - he's just a naturally funny chap.

It is a shame to see him looking this frail but he's still getting out there. Plus no-one can say he hasn't had a full life, seen it all and done it all!

Very, very funny man.

I prefer the earlier stuff, set in Glasgow, before he was famous and a world traveler ..."The crucifiction', "Drunk with chips and a half bottle", "Ivan the Terrible" etc.

There was a Billy Connolly in every shipyard in those days but no-one of them made it on to the stage.
    (he was a 'welders mate" in Govan shipbuilders)

Master
    Mate went to see him the other night and he did over 2 hours without a break, fair play to him.

He was quoted in the paper on Sunday "I have Parkinson's disease. I wish he'd f****ing kept it"

Master
    Saw him in Glasgow last year and was brought up on "solo concert" which was his first recording of his act as far as I know. His first words when he came on stage were to do with his Parkinsons and how his arm would get higher as the night went on and the more tired he got - and it did!

Maybe I'm biased, being born and bred in Glasgow but as far as I'm concerned, no-one has come close, nor probably will ever come close to the talent he has. The only person who came close was Robin Williams, so it was no surprise they were friends.

My only piece of advice is, if you've never seen him live, see him while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Very, very funny man.

I prefer the earlier stuff, set in Glasgow, before he was famous and a world traveler ..."The crucifiction', "Drunk with chips and a half bottle", "Ivan the Terrible" etc.

There was a Billy Connolly in every shipyard in those days but no-one of them made it on to the stage.
    (he was a 'welders mate" in Govan shipbuilders)
    I was living and working in Glasgow in the late 70s and spent many a happy hour listening to Billy on cassettes with some mates after a few bevys, at the time his accent was far stronger but lord was he funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    He was quoted in the paper on Sunday "I have Parkinson's disease. I wish he'd f****ing kept it"
    I love that, particularly as he's such good friends with Michael Parkinson. Typical Connolly.

Master
    The Jobbie Wheeker, absolute gold.

Saw him at the Apollo last Friday
    I too was shocked at how the illness has taken its toll but he is still the best stand up out there IMHO.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    He was brilliant in the movie" what we did on holiday" recently.

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes one all time great if not the best British comedian ever. Sad to see that Parkinson's is taking hold, but knowing what he is like he will not let him the disease get him down

I remember in the 70's there was a move from music to comedy for three of the popular 'Folk' musicians; Jasper Carrott, Mike Harding and Billy Connolly. All three were pretty impressive observational comedians and, at the time, almost on par with each other, maybe Billy a whisker above the others. As the decades progressed, Mike dropped back into the folk scene, Jasper did a bit of telly and then disappeared with a recent comeback recycling a lot of old material but Billy went from strength to strength. Having read the books his wife, a comedian in her own right, wrote about his childhood and formative years, i'm even more impressed that he flourished and continued to challenge popular culture whilst maintaining his popularity and relevance. Yes he has sailed close to the wind on occasion but nothing like some of the more inappropriate and divisive comedians of today. Long may he continue.

Master
    I'm afraid I'm going to be the voice in the wilderness, here. I never really found him funny at all, but that's just me I suppose. He was always far too fond of the F word even when there were a lot of kids in the audience and whilst some of his observational stuff was quite good and his off-the-cuff stuff very sharp I can't help thinking of him as an early version of Frankie Boyle.

The only film I ever saw him in that raised a chuckle was a low budget jobbie called "Water" set in a fictional Caribbean backwater island, and financed, I think, by George Harrison. The rest, I'm afraid, didn't do much for me.

Rob

Master
    We went to the Apollo on Tuesday. I too was quite shocked when he came out as he barely moves now and it was a little slow for the first 10 mins but he warmed up gradually. It was a good show and the second hour was really good. He must be fairly well as he did bang on 2 hours without a break.
    Well worth seeing.

I saw him back in about 1998 at the Mayflower in Southampton, as has been said I came out with my cheeks aching from laughing so much.

He's a comedy genius, so sad he is ill.

I got the distinct feeling that they gave him an award before he croaks

I saw Billy on the Isle of Man at the TT in 81, he started his act by asking 'Am I the only C*** over here on a Lambretta? He's my favourite comic of all time

Craftsman
    He used to stay half a mile down the road from me. I'm similar age to his son, Jamie, and we used to play pool in the local pub in our teens.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I'm afraid I'm going to be the voice in the wilderness, here. I never really found him funny at all, but that's just me I suppose. He was always far too fond of the F word even when there were a lot of kids in the audience and whilst some of his observational stuff was quite good and his off-the-cuff stuff very sharp I can't help thinking of him as an early version of Frankie Boyle.

The only film I ever saw him in that raised a chuckle was a low budget jobbie called "Water" set in a fictional Caribbean backwater island, and financed, I think, by George Harrison. The rest, I'm afraid, didn't do much for me.

Rob
    I was the same about him in his early days and being from the North of Scotland that made me a total freak. As He mellowed I finally got it/him, totally cracked me up.
    Saw him live and just about wet myself both times, he could make anything funny.
    He spent a bit of time locally at a hotel that became a favorite of his and he had no airs and graces, lots of stories how he befriended locals and kept in touch with a few.
    Just to cap it off I had a coffee with him once, he joined me and at no stage was it ever about him.
    I walked out thinking I'd been speaking to a mate and he was going back to tell the wife that he was speaking to a guy who was struggling with his golf swing and should lighten up.
    2 years later met him in a carpark near Ullapool when he was touring in his campervan and before coming over shouted into the van "Pamela, it's Andy from Wick" then turning to say "how's the golf big man"
    I could go on but that's what he is to me, total legend.

Master
    He's a legend , never anything less than 110% entertaining no matter what he does.

One of my favourite Billy 'rants:'

My favourite by far, the only one that comes close is Tommy Tiernan on a good day.
    Billy must be the only person on earth who could make an audience split their sides laughing for a couple of hours without telling a "conventional" joke.