closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub shortage?

Master

Rolex Sub shortage?

I was wondering if there seems to be a shortage of the submariners from the AD lately?
    Every AD I called don't have any in stock and don't know what their allocation quantity is??
    I called one AD who offered to put me in the list and hope I get a call on his next delivery.
    I don't remember it being this difficult to source a SubC.
    Is there a price increase on the cards perhaps.

Apprentice
    Before Christmas there were plenty in the AD's so maybe the rumours of a price increase are true?

From my experience of the last few weeks, my local ad had 2 in stock which one is now mine, Goldsmiths in Bristol made out they were short stocked however if I was really interested I could go to the top of the list with the few they had coming in, which then turned out to actually being in stock. I didn't believe it and thought it was just hype.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    From my experience of the last few weeks, my local ad had 2 in stock which one is now mine, Goldsmiths in Bristol made out they were short stocked however if I was really interested I could go to the top of the list with the few they had coming in, which then turned out to actually being in stock. I didn't believe it and thought it was just hype.
    Was that the Cribbs Causeway branch or Cabbots circus?
    I called them as well, no stock.

Yes it`s true, there is a shortage - they only made fifteen million of them last year.

Master
    Rumours are rumours, and the ADs know no more than you or I at this point re: price rises. They will find out a couple of days before the price increase goes "live", whenever that is.

This has been discussed to death (very recently, and many times in the past)

However these rumours (and that's all they are currently) may be fanning the surge in Rolex on SC at the moment though.

You may have just been unlucky and the ADs just sold their stock before you got there (did you ask?) - each AD gets what they are sent each month and I don't think they have too much control over what they receive, certainly for the sports models... perhaps Mr Milton could chip in and confirm? The reason I am not 100% certain is I bought a DJ once which I chose off the Rolex website and as it was relatively unusual, the AD had to put an order in for it and it came in to the AD in the next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz View Post
    Was that the Cribbs Causeway branch or Cabbots circus?
    I called them as well, no stock.
    That was Cribbs 2 Saturday's ago.

Master
    The main feedback was, no stock of either date and no date Subs.
    They have no idea what watches will come in the next allocation.
    I would prefer to buy a mint pre owned but looks like a new one will have to do, best thing is the 2 years 0%

Master
    Fly over to Belfast, they're in both of Lunns windows (or at least they were last weekend)

Master
    I would prefer to buy a mint pre owned but looks like a new one will have to do
    Why?? Tons of mint used examples out there, in stock for next day delivery (e.g. watchfinder), or go to a grey dealer for a new one with discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Why?? Tons of mint used examples out there, in stock for next day delivery (e.g. watchfinder), or go to a grey dealer for a new one with discount.
    I will have a look and see whats about.

My AD in Horsham has one. They offer 0%. WOS in Brighton also have one.
    Andy

shortage of subs....what are we back in 2001 again? I remember a 23 month wait for a sub date (first proper watch so well worth the wait!)

Blog Entries
    Have a full everything Sub no date ceramic 2015 anybody's for 5 K

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    shortage of subs....what are we back in 2001 again? I remember a 23 month wait for a sub date (first proper watch so well worth the wait!)
    Agreed. I remember in 2001/2 going to Bluewater and speaking to the Rolex AD. I asked if I could buy one of their Submariners and several of their staffed laughed. "We have a 6 year waiting list," he said.

Instead, I bought it on a Skiing trip in Europe several months later. But even there, the AD said they had pretty much dried up.....

Banned
    we need to start a dedicated sub forum

Not 100% sure but there may have been a Sub at Michael Spiers, Exeter when I looked in the window last week.

Banned
    aren't they the most common watch in the world?

seems to me you cant get away from them

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:17.

Master
    Meh just a game Rolex dealers play IMO.
    I enquired about one at my local AD last year and was told this story.
    I then received a call from the dealer a couple of days later telling me that they could obtain one for me within a week.

Craftsman
    surely iconic have some in?

Everybody is Holding back their stock until the official price increase.
    In germany the actual situation with rolex steel sportsmodels is the same.
    None available right now ;)

It was confirmed by different sources that the price increase starts at the 1.2.2016 at least in germany.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

Irritatingly so yet we all want /have owned them and in many ways they are a gold standard for sports watches. Of course there isn't a short supply - Rolex know they can create a demand and get more money. Now the price of older pre-ceramic will rise accordingly (again)

Might it simply be that they haven't replenished their stock after Christmas which must surely be their busiest time of the year?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Might it simply be that they haven't replenished their stock after Christmas which must surely be their busiest time of the year?
    +1......the simple answer's usually the right one!

Definite sense of deja vu with this thread..........someone can`t find the watch they want locally, the AD's spout bullshit as usual (cos that's what they do) and the price-rise-rumourmongers jump to (what to them) is the obvious conclusion.

Personally, I`d phone around till I found one in reasonable travelling distance and take the time out to go and see it. I`d haggle for a small discount to cover the travel cost. There's always the chance that a price rise will happen so it does make sense to buy one now provided you've made your mind up. However, mid-January seems an illogical time to implement a price rise in the UK to me!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

No, and depends on your work / social circle, in my universe I know of one other apart from my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Not 100% sure but there may have been a Sub at Michael Spiers, Exeter when I looked in the window last week.
    Yeh there was, I was there the week after New Year and there was a few of them in the window.

What makes a monopoly a monopoly is the artificial restriction of supply.
    Last edited by JDB; 21st January 2016 at 14:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    What makes a monopoly a monopoly is the artificial restriction of supply.
    It's not a monopoly though is it?
    Rolex only supply their product to their supply chain, or not in this case.
    A monopoly would be if Rolex was a sole supplier of all watches.

Journeyman
    No shortage in Leeds or the surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWatches View Post
    It was confirmed by different sources that the price increase starts at the 1.2.2016 at least in germany.
    There is a new German pricelist from february 1.

http://pics.r-l-x.de/picserv/files/3...PL_02_2016.pdf

Prices seem to be up by 5-6%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    No, and depends on your work / social circle, in my universe I know of one other apart from my own.
    I was in a room of approx 20 people on NYE (prob 60% men) and there were two Date models. Made me realise that in certain circles they are just more common. If I was a Prem. League footballer I'd prob only see Ferrari/AM/Hublot

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I was in a room of approx 20 people on NYE (prob 60% men) and there were two Date models. Made me realise that in certain circles they are just more common. If I was a Prem. League footballer I'd prob only see Ferrari/AM/Hublot
    That's is lazy and disingenuous stereotyping.
    A quick google search shows that top footballers wear everything from IWC to AP to Rolex and even Tag.

Maybe the jewelers havent had their post xmas deliveries yet?

Master
    Every AD an grey dealer is keeping them hidden, they will be out again after febuary 1st with a nice little price increase.

That's the was ist goes. Every year (or even twice) the same.

going to an AD can be fun, but if you are really going to shop I wouldn't buy there. Save 15-25% easy on a new or even more on an almost new Rolex from a web dealer. So many legit sellers around if you do your homework.
    The fancy chicks and the cappuccino make for a fun outing, but damn if that isn't an expensive piece of chocolate when you consider the savings you could be making.
    Not to mention that the vast majority of AD's are complete ^$%^)>@!
    Good luck.

It's not a monopoly though is it?
    Rolex only supply their product to their supply chain, or not in this case.
    A monopoly would be if Rolex was a sole supplier of all watches.
    Well, yes and no. Rolex is obviously a monopoly supplier of Rolex Submariners and other producers supply substitutes. This limits the degree to which monopoly power can be excercised. However, all monopolists face this problem and a lot depends on how close the substitutes are, or are perceived to be.

Master
    Well, yes and no. Rolex is obviously a monopoly supplier of Rolex Submariners and other producers supply substitutes. This limits the degree to which monopoly power can be excercised. However, all monopolists face this problem and a lot depends on how close the substitutes are, or are perceived to be.
    You can't have yes and no, you either have a monopoly or you don't.
    Rolex isn't a monopoly
    the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting"

So to follow the above example, Rolex would have to have control of all watch brands.

Just a question relating to supply of watches by Rolex to their AD's.

Do they still hold back allocations to create less supply for the demand in order to maintain some kind of mystique around the brand? Also is there a pecking order for AD's i.e. the ones who are on the good list get a higher quota than the ones on the naughty list i.e. those who sell to grey dealers and discount?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Just a question relating to supply of watches by Rolex to their AD's.

Do they still hold back allocations to create less supply for the demand in order to maintain some kind of mystique around the brand? Also is there a pecking order for AD's i.e. the ones who are on the good list get a higher quota than the ones on the naughty list i.e. those who sell to grey dealers and discount?
    I doubt even if the Rolex ADs know the whole truth.
    Am sure Rolex is smart and they never allow there to be a glut in the market.
    There areole
    Myths sorrounding Rolex business tactics than any brand.
    People believe what they choose to believe.

Journeyman
    I was wondering if there seems to be a shortage of the submariners from the AD lately?
    Every AD I called don't have any in stock and don't know what their allocation quantity is??
    I called one AD who offered to put me in the list and hope I get a call on his next delivery.
    I don't remember it being this difficult to source a SubC.
    Is there a price increase on the cards perhaps.
    two Hulks available near Royal Exchange in London below retail price, unworn. Easy to find if you are willing to travel or make calls

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    two Hulks available near Royal Exchange in London below retail price, unworn. Easy to find if you are willing to travel or make calls
    I agree. I managed to pick up a two month old 114060 within a week of looking. Check all the usual places, SC, Chrono 24 and Ebay. Instead of making the purchases through Chrono 24 / Ebay I usually make contact directly with the seller and do the deal face to face. I'm willing to travel long distances and treat it s a bit of a day out.

You can't have yes and no, you either have a monopoly or you don't.
    Rolex isn't a monopoly
    the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting"

So to follow the above example, Rolex would have to have control of all watch brands.
    You need to think about what is meant by 'a commodity or service.' The theory doesn't tell us how widely or narrowly to define it in any application. Obviously someone who had a monopoly in the supply of salt can make a lot of money by restricting supply to raise the price but a monopoly supplier of sea salt would not do so well at all if rock salt is competitively supplied. It's all a question of the elasticity of demand.

Master
    You need to think about what is meant by 'a commodity or service.' The theory doesn't tell us how widely or narrowly to define it in any application. Obviously someone who had a monopoly in the supply of salt can make a lot of money by restricting supply to raise the price but a monopoly supplier of sea salt would not do so well at all if rock salt is competitively supplied. It's all a question of the elasticity of demand.
    You need to read the definition and understand it.
    The commodity = the dive watch
    The service = selling the dive watch
    Using your example, Rolex would have to be sole supplier of dive watches, that would be a monopoly on dive watches. Being the sole supplier of their IP the Submariner does not make it a monopoly.
    Get it?
    Last edited by nunya; 22nd January 2016 at 09:37.

You need to read the definition and understand it.
    The commodity = the dive watch
    The service = selling the dive watch
    Using your example, Rolex would have to be sole supplier of dive watches, that would be a monopoly on dive watches. Being the sole supplier of their IP the Submariner does not make it a monopoly.
    Get it?
    I get it that there is no point in continuing to allow you to build up your post count.

Master
    There were a few in the window of Goldsmiths in York a couple of weeks ago along with a DSSD and both a white dialed Daytona and a white gold one with a grey dial and red hands.