closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadband & TV without landline phone rental?

Master

Broadband & TV without landline phone rental?

Is it possible to have broadband & TV without a landline phone and, therefore, with no landline rental?

The phone rental doesn't seem much, but it's £180+ a year for something we never use.

I don't think so, broadband is delivered via your phone line so that's why you need the rental.

Wireless 4g broadband is available (via a dongle) but not sure if it'll save you any money or provide a better speed.

When I took out Orange line rental I got free broadband, which intern has now been taken over by EE offering the same deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is it possible to have broadband & TV without a landline phone and, therefore, with no landline rental?

The phone rental doesn't seem much, but it's £180+ a year for something we never use.
    But you do use it. The landline rental pays for the infrastructure to to get the internet & TV signals to your house. That bit isn't owned by Sky/Plusnet/Zen or whoever you get your broadband from. If you don't pay for that infrastructure, how is the signal going to get to you?

Master
    maybe different in ireland but i have virgin media tv and BB without phone line rental as the BB comes via the Virgin media wiring

Craftsman
    You can get Virgin Broadband separately to a phone line (£30/month or so)...it comes via fibre.

All other broadband usually comes through the telephone line, so BT and Sky etc only offer broadband with a line...they also do fibre now, but usually same price with telephone line as Virgin is without

I think Virgin cable / fibre is what you need...(as has been said)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    You can get Virgin Broadband separately to a phone line (£30/month or so)...it comes via fibre.

All other broadband usually comes through the telephone line, so BT and Sky etc only offer broadband with a line...they also do fibre now, but usually same price with telephone line as Virgin is without
    This. If you are in a VM area. VM now offer packages without the need to take out a phone line with them or anyone else. Whether it's more cost effective is another matter. I always thought the phone line subsidised the TV and broadband

http://store.virginmedia.com/index.h...UH3g&gclsrc=ds

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    This. If you are in a VM area. VM now offer packages without the need to take out a phone line with them or anyone else. Whether it's more cost effective is another matter. I always thought the phone line subsidised the TV and broadband

http://store.virginmedia.com/index.h...UH3g&gclsrc=ds
    Yes indeed! Virgin products (including BB and tv) can be had without telephone...but once you get two products, it's usually cheaper to have one of the bundles.

If you're just after BB, virgin is cheapest. Once you want TV with it, virgin is not necessarily cheapest - you have to shop around.

Eg. my must have was all sports...so I have BB and BT sport (with telephone line) from BT and then sky sports via their dish

(Used to have a virgin VIP bundle with everything but prefer it this way round)

Master
    Apparently it is possible in Central London

https://www1.relish.net/