closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIHH has started...

Master

SIHH has started...

Hodinkee have created a live report and the first release is this IWC. They say it's "Just Right" but my OCD says that date window is ever so slightly too far off where it should be. No doubt on its overall beauty though, I think I need to see one of these!

https://live.hodinkee.com/e/sihh-2016

Master
    What is SIHH?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What is SIHH?
    A pre Basel watch show for Richmont group and a few select other manufactures

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What is SIHH?
    It's a smaller version of Baselworld Adrian. There's less brands that take part and they tend to be quite exclusive, such as AP, JLC, IWC, Panerai etc.

Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie

Master
    Ah ok thanks, Google says it stands for "Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie Genève"... vaguely rings a bell from threads in years gone past I think.

Off to google some more now!

"Every January since the early nineties, Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) has been tempting trade and collectors alike with the best that selected watch manufactures have to offer. In the earliest days, the list of exhibitors was limited to five (Baume & Mercier, Cartier, Piaget, Gérald Genta and Daniel Roth) but by 1999, this had been expanded to 18, and the number has remained relatively stable; in 2014, SIHH’s sixteen brands included some of the most intriguing and exciting watchmakers in the world, as well as many of the most powerful.

The Foundation that operates SIHH has maintained a set of central tenets that most #watchnerds will probably find hard with which to disagree: SIHH’s list of exhibitors should reflect (in the eyes of the Foundation) “historic” brands / manufactures, “ateliers and Master Watchmakers which produce their own movements and creations” and brands that “invest in Fine Watchmaking by inventing and creating”. Of course, underlying all this is a widely-held view that SIHH is merely a media vehicle for the Richemont Group – who no longer wanted to be associated with the increasingly Swatch Group-led BaselWorld."

This year, it's been widened to include a number of independent brands, so, including the Carré des Horlogers, it's now up to 24.

Its not just you mate, the position of that date window does not make for a symmetrical dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    They say it's "Just Right" but my OCD says that date window is ever so slightly too far off where it should be.
    My thoughts exactly - couldn't live with it.

Master
    Looks like a case of small movement, big watch = bad date window

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    My thoughts exactly - couldn't live with it.
    +1

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the version previously posted was the LLP version. This one looks much better, maybe the smaller looking numerals and matching colour of the date wheel.

Apprentice
    Hodinkee have created a live report and the first release is this IWC. They say it's "Just Right" but my OCD says that date window is ever so slightly too far off where it should be. No doubt on its overall beauty though, I think I need to see one of these!

https://live.hodinkee.com/e/sihh-2016
    Totally agree, maybe it's just the image that's been released.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Exactly, not acceptable at the price point.

i've just come back from there, never been before i had no idea of the size and grandeur, amazing place am back there tomorrow

been with panerai, some amazing new pieces and tech, i;m really looking forward to tomorrow to see the other stands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    i've just come back from there, never been before i had no idea of the size and grandeur, amazing place am back there tomorrow

been with panerai, some amazing new pieces and tech, i;m really looking forward to tomorrow to see the other stands
    Did you get any pics of the Panerais? I really want to see the new models and can't find any info.

Craftsman

exactly my thought. Not right in my eyes!

It's 40mm using (I'm 99% sure) a Sellita movement.

There is also available the 36mm pilots that has the Sellita movement (presumably the same as the 40mm hence better date position) with several dial options including silver with blue hands, silver with gold hands. 74 pic gallery from IWC SIHH here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabet...0b421bb13a18f9

IWC 35111 is found in the 36mm. It's a Sellita SW300-1 constructed by Sellita to IWC specifications.

The Sellita (non IWC) version looks like a 2892 clone..

36mm Pilots.

40mm MKXVIII (presumably the same movement).

Last edited by TimeOut; 18th January 2016 at 07:48.

Did you get any pics of the Panerais? I really want to see the new models and can't find any info.
    i'll get some today, just off now, after having to wait for my phone to charge

Agreed, the date window definitely needs to shift a touch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post

There is also available the 36mm pilots that has the Sellita movement (presumably the same as the 40mm hence better date position) with several dial options including silver with blue hands, silver with gold hands. 74 pic gallery from IWC SIHH here...

IWC 35111 is found in the 36mm. It's a Sellita SW300-1 constructed by Sellita to IWC specifications.
    36mm Pilots.
    Is it definitely a solita?!?! That's terrible! No doubt this watch will be £3-4K and if so, I'd be expecting a true heritage IWC in-house movement.

Master
    At least Vacheron have added a nice new model in the Ultra Thin https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...y-caliber-1120...

...although I'm not sure the new In-House chrono works for me personally...

Master
    Lewis, I hope this is your next watch so I can try one! This is absolutely unbelievable!

Master
    This is also unbelievable, but not for the same reasons as the Lange!

I guess it's for the man with everything...

Master
    The VC Ultra Thin is really nice, not sure about the blue numbers on the dial though

Master
    Panerai have mostly added to the 1940 lineup. I like this hobnail model...

There's a new two-piece set retailing around $20,000USD limited to 500 pieces (similar to the past which sold very quickly)

...and then a Toubillon in Ti with lumed markers and hands...

Master
    this is lovely and a bargain IMO

Is it definitely a solita?!?! That's terrible! No doubt this watch will be £3-4K and if so, I'd be expecting a true heritage IWC in-house movement.
    The 36mm and 40mm both share the Sellita movement. The MK XVIII is £2761

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...i-pilots-watch

Panerai have mostly added to the 1940 lineup. I like this hobnail model...
    From the photo, that date is in the same place as on the IWC. Perhaps it's the lack of a contrasting surround on the date window that makes it look more acceptable to you?
    Last edited by Broussard; 18th January 2016 at 10:43.

Master
    At least Vacheron have added a nice new model in the Ultra Thin https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...y-caliber-1120...

I love this one... Smart in many ways. They've kept it to 40mm - 38mm would have been even better for me but I realise I have slimmer wrists than most so that's probably perfect for everyone else, the main thing is it's not 42mm. By making it in white gold only, they avoid simply competing directly with the AP15202 extra thin and have something rather more special. The sleek, thin look makes the previous model look a bit lumbering, and the bracelet appears more subtle. It's also good news for owners of the old model Overseas, as it rehabilitates the ultra-thin style. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the price as much as the pictures, but for me there's a new grail in town.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 20th January 2016 at 09:54.

Master
    [QUOTE=Broussard;3842638]
    Panerai have mostly added to the 1940 lineup. I like this hobnail model...QUOTE]

From the photo, that date is in the same place as on the IWC. Perhaps it's the lack of a contrasting surround on the date window that makes it look more acceptable to you?
    I think it definitely stands out less. The marker to the right of the date at least adds some balance. If they release a 42mm version at some point, it would look better still.

Craftsman
    Lewis, I hope this is your next watch so I can try one! This is absolutely unbelievable!

That watch is amazing

Master
    This... wow.

No idea on the price but incredibly impressive

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/audemars...nworked-watch/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post

36mm Pilots.

Yes, they look much better in the 36mm size and how great is it to finally see some smaller/normal sized Pilots...those 42-47mm sizes were too big for most normal use!

Craftsman
    agree, definitely unimpressive that they used a selitta movement base!

The new AP ROO Diver Chrono looks good. They've used a two-register movement rather than the usual three-register from the rest of the ROO range. Bright colour options too - green, orange, yellow and a more subdued blue with yellow highlights.

The new 'small Egiziano' Panerai Radiomir 1940/Luminor 1950 models look quite good too.

There's a new Big Pilot from IWC set to replace the 5009 model, but in my view it's a step back. The number 9 has returned to the dial affecting the symmetry I always liked in the current model and the triangle has moved back down like the first Big Pilot models from the past.

Vacheron's new in-house Overseas ultra-thin looks a much better contender against the Nautilus and Royal Oak now too.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    That watch is amazing
    Indeed. I'm never usually totally sold on Langes, but I really like that.

I guess my ambivalence must be due to the rather 'oldy-worldy' look to many of their dials, whereas this is very modern looking - I wonder if that will put off some of those who usually like Langes?

M.

That IWC date placement is just awful.... I can't believe designers at the IWC thought this will do....

First Lange that I would truly like to own and wear... Don't get me wrong I like their watches but not sure I would dare to wear one.

The ROO Diver Chrono is a thing of beauty! I'd love one of them, Any guesses how much?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    The ROO Diver Chrono is a thing of beauty! I'd love one of them, Any guesses how much?
    Has it gone from a 12hr chrono to 30 mins though? That's pretty poor. The 60 minute divers bezel looks to be static unless there's another crown at 10 'o clock?

Master
    JLC have released a fair few models...

More here: http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/GB/e...epage_discover

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I love this one... Smart in many ways. They've kept it to 40mm - 38mm would have been even better for me but I realise I have slimmer wrists than most so that's probably perfect for everyone else, the main thing is it's not 42mm. By making it in white gold only, they avoid simply competing directly with the AP15202 extra thin and have something rather more special. The sleek, thin look makes the previous model look a bit lumbering, and the bracelet appears more subtle. It's also good news for owners of the old model Overseas, as it rehabilitates the ultra-the style. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the price as much as the pictures, but for me there's a new grail in town.
    Couldn't agree more - think this is the announcement that resonates with my tastes the most (so far :P), the svelte(er) dimensions and that multi-finish 24k gold rotor are a smash hit in my book!

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Couldn't agree more - think this is the announcement that resonates with my tastes the most (so far :P), the svelte(er) dimensions and that multi-finish 24k gold rotor are a smash hit in my book!

B
    Totall agree with that, that's lovely.
    I really must stop looking at this thread or my Bank balance is going to suffer - big style.

Has it gone from a 12hr chrono to 30 mins though? That's pretty poor. The 60 minute divers bezel looks to be static unless there's another crown at 10 'o clock?
    It's got the 10'oclock crown, yeah 30 mins aint the best, but it's for diving predominantly, imagine the state of a 60 min one... - front on from hodinkee

At least Vacheron have added a nice new model in the Ultra Thin
    This, like the Traditionelle Automatic, which also uses the cal 1120, is just a two-hander....

How many two-hander sports watches are there in the world?

VC Trad Auto RG

The new Overseas is pretty cool too:

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the...w-caliber-5100

The date sure does look much better than the previous iteration...

Cheers,
    Christian

JLC have released a fair few models...

What the HELL is that monstrosity?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    this is lovely and a bargain IMO

I rather like that too, sounds really clever.

Anyone seen it in action?

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    It's got the 10'oclock crown, yeah 30 mins aint the best, but it's for diving predominantly, imagine the state of a 60 min one... - front on from hodinkee

Ah that makes sense now, thanks