closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX007 is back in stock at Creation

Seiko SKX007 is back in stock at Creation

Thought this might be of use to some. Prices are up on last time but the £ is weaker. J and K versions.

Master
    The j version costs about £30 more than the k version. I understand they are exactly the same watch, just manufactured for different markets.

Is the price difference just due to snobbery and/or perception or is there a real difference in these models?

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    .......is there a real difference in these models?

Quite possibly

Master
    I had been waiting on them arriving back in stock but fortunately a 007j twinned with a 009k popped up on SC just as I noticed them back in at creation so I now have a pair.

No secret that they are well worth the money.

I'm just waiting for them to stock the new turtles. Pricing will be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Just watched that video last week & was really surprised at the differences having read several times over the years that both versions were exactly the same.

I really enjoy his stuff on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    The j version costs about £30 more than the k version. I understand they are exactly the same watch, just manufactured for different markets.

Is the price difference just due to snobbery and/or perception or is there a real difference in these models?
    This has been debated before and my take, having owned several of both, is that there are differences that are all in favour of the J. I currently have a 007K and love it so I'm not being a snob, just relaying my experience.

The J feels overall better finished. The dial and bezel insert on the 009 are a darker, more solid blue which adds a bit to the overall appearance. On both 007 and 009 the markers appear to be applied better and are more solid i.e. more compacted lume applied.

However I have never found there to be any difference in the case, crown, movement or bracelet. In fact my 007 is currently running at a consistent 0.5spd gain (10 seconds fast over 20 days).

On the basis that I firmly believe (and nobody has ever proven me wrong) that the 007 / 009 is the best value, best pound-for-pound diver on the planet, you can't really go wrong with either of them.

These are indeed the perfect dive watch, pound for pound, and everyone should own one at least once to see how all the others get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    These are indeed the perfect dive watch, pound for pound, and everyone should own one at least once to see how all the others get it wrong.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'm just waiting for them to stock the new turtles. Pricing will be interesting!
    Will you be trying to do to one of them what you've done to your 007?

Here's MoK's 007 next to his Sinn and Oris, along with another friend's Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Will you be trying to do to one of them what you've done to your 007?

Here's MoK's 007 next to his Sinn and Oris, along with another friend's Tudor

Absolutely. The first thing would be a nice gently domed sapphire. I would then consider what else would be appropriate for my planned purchase of the blue version.

If Seiko do stop production I'm thinking about getting a J just to keep for a rainy day when my K gets lost or damaged beyond repair.

They make great work/beater watches if you're getting your hands dirty. I've had this one since 2006, it's never missed a beat and keeps good time.

Bang for buck I feel the £1000 I spent on my Marinemaster is actually of greater value to me, but I'm strange like that.

The case finishing is different between the j and k variants. Never realised or noticed this until watching that vid when it was posted here a few months back and have to say I now prefer the cleaner lines of the j.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    If Seiko do stop production I'm thinking about getting a J just to keep for a rainy day when my K gets lost or damaged beyond repair.

They make great work/beater watches if you're getting your hands dirty. I've had this one since 2006, it's never missed a beat and keeps good time.

Bang for buck I feel the £1000 I spent on my Marinemaster is actually of greater value to me, but I'm strange like that.
    I never thought I'd say this but that watch wear and tear looks truly awesome! I think that Seiko looks better than if it was new. Superb pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    I never thought I'd say this but that watch wear and tear looks truly awesome! I think that Seiko looks better than if it was new. Superb pics!!
    Thanks bud.

The wear and tear is real but the faded colour of the bezle is fake. There's a thread in M&Ws about it http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...d-distressing*

Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    Just watched that video last week & was really surprised at the differences having read several times over the years that both versions were exactly the same.
    All it shows that Seiko 007s are a bit variable in quality, which you'd expect from any mass-produced watch. Without a control, there's no reason to attribute these differences to one being a J and one being a K.

As Richard Feynman said about the scientific method, "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." We notice only things that are unexpected or surprising. A YouTube video demonstrating a total lack of difference between two watches would not get views.

Master
    I think you are probably correct regarding the case and variations in QC. I have a 007j and a 009k in front of me right now and they are the opposite of that video. The polish/brush contrast is sharper on the K.

Craftsman
    Sorry, just a bit confused.... are these discontinued, or are they still regular production?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Me as well

If I read the other thread correctly this is now NOS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Sorry, just a bit confused.... are these discontinued, or are they still regular production?
    To the best of my knowledge they are still in production but it is unknown for how much longer. I have not seen any definitive information that production has stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    It is 2016 now and still in production.
    In batches of millions.

Craftsman
    Oh right. Thanks guys.

I ordered a "K" from the latest batch after my WTB for a jubilee bracelet had borne no fruit. It is a September 2015 watch.

I guess it is possible that production switched over to the 6309 homage shortly after that time.

PS I ordered the watch on Friday; it arrived from Singapore on Monday. Stunning service from Creation and DHL.
    Last edited by raysablade; 20th January 2016 at 19:53.

Master
    Any reason you don't buy from Yorkshire watches?
    Great range and prices...
    I have used them before.

Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz View Post
    I have used them before.
    I expect its the price difference

Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz View Post
    I have used them before.
    I use Stewart at YW when I can afford to but more often I choose Creation purely because they're a lot cheaper, not just a couple of quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I expect its the price difference
    Indeed, i only wanted the bracelet, it was £170 from Yorkshire watches, £128 at Creation.

Craftsman
    Waiting for my K to arrive from Creation, currently in Germany according to DHL.

Watch arrived this afternoon, excellent service.
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 21st January 2016 at 17:56.

Craftsman
    Thinking I'll pick one of these up as my "go to" daily.

Will make for an interesting comparo between this, the Monster and the Submariner!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I ordered a "K" from the latest batch after my WTB for a jubilee bracelet had borne no fruit. It is a September 2015 watch.

I guess it is possible that production switched over to the 6309 homage shortly after that time.

PS I ordered the watch on Friday; it arrived from Singapore on Monday. Stunning service from Creation and DHL.
    Shame I missed that WTB. I'm selling the jubilee from mine due to a lack of cooperation with my gorilla arms.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Shame I missed that WTB. I'm selling the jubilee from mine due to a lack of cooperation with my gorilla arms.
    I do need another one.

Master
    Another heads up...SKX007J back in stock at Creation again.

Master
    Why is it so cheap on this site? Seems a lot less than other sites? Worrying for my wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Why is it so cheap on this site? Seems a lot less than other sites? Worrying for my wallet!
    £147 for a J version? Seems a little more expensive than previously from what I remember.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    £147 for a J version? Seems a little more expensive than previously from what I remember.
    I suppose limited stock is starting to demand a premium

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post

As a clueless noob I'm naively going by their price against the RRP that they put up. Apologies

You've saved me looking more!!

Master
    Sold out again. They're obviously just getting in dribs and drabs of the last remaining stock.

As for price, I think I paid £128 for a J in early 2013. So I don't think £147 is too expensive. It's gone up yes but it's still the best price around, when you can find one.