closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I would phrase that as an uncharacteristically clumsy well considered move.

My guess is that this is what Lauda meant to transmit too. That Rosberg had the upper hand, both in points and in position, so why would he not slam the door?!
    So whatever Lewis was thinking about Rosberg characteristically elegant holding the door for him, he has to rethink that.
    He's supposed to be a Mercedes TEAM driver - The view from the pits (and follow up responses from the Team management, not loose cannon Lauda) suggested that the outcome didn't reflect well on him.

If, as you appear to be suggesting, he deliberately tried to cause an accident, then he's not fit to be in any race car, so I really hope (and believe) it wasn't considered...

Btw. Sir Jackie Stewart was probably ignited about Hamilton literally throwing his toy out of his pram.
    Quite possibly so, but how does that make his view in any way MORE valid?

M.

Exactly.
    At the moment of the still Hamilton could have recovered it but lost it and ... racing accident.

Meanwhile, behind them, Verstappen went round the outside of Vettel who had passed him in turn one.

...and the race gave us good action all round with a fun win.

Again; I hope the Mercedes boys don't make a dull parade of Monaco.
    Based on the season so far chances are that Nico goes into turn one first and that is the race run because he thus gets the first choice in all. Let's hope not.
    you are deliberately ignoring the facts,

The only reason it is being classed as a racing incident is that the team has already been punished, no team is going to complain about their own driver, if Rosberg had hit another teams car he would be on a 10 place grid drop and probably more.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If, as you appear to be suggesting,
    No I am not.

It was a game of chicken: Both aiming for the same bit of black and Rosberg clearly ahead both in points and position. He thus was not going to be the chicken.
    Hamilton called the bluff and found it wasn't.

No I am not.

It was a game of chicken: Both aiming for the same bit of black and Rosberg clearly ahead both in points and position. He thus was not going to be the chicken.
    Mmm - Well, if you think that's acceptable we DEFINITELY disagree...

Neither of us, of course, can know if that's actually what happened, unless Rosberg has stated that was the case.

M

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    you are deliberately ignoring the facts,

The only reason it is being classed as a racing incident is that the team has already been punished, no team is going to complain about their own driver, if Rosberg had hit another teams car he would be on a 10 place grid drop and probably more.
    Err...just who did Rosberg hit? I saw him being hit by an out of control car with Hamilton, at that stage, as a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Err...just who did Rosberg hit? I saw him being hit by an out of control car with Hamilton, at that stage, as a passenger.
    According to the rules NR hit LH

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink

if Rosberg had hit another teams car he would be on a 10 place grid drop and probably more.

and that is factual???

Ah well, is was an accident racing and both cars went off.

I wager that despite the mandatory public statement, behind the closed doors Mercedes will make clear that there is one driver with a 43 points lead and that whatever Rosberg and Hamilton want, the Mercedes interest in winning two titles weighs heaviest.

What Foxy wrote is crystal clear; Rosberg has the upper hand.

Again as Foxy observed, it remains to be seen how Hamilton deals with these two givens.
    Him throwing his steering wheel away in anger seems to predict more racing accidents. As long as nobody gets hurt I hope he goes for it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mmm - Well, if you think that's acceptable we DEFINITELY disagree...
    I can assure you that this happened several times during the race. That it happens during EVERY race.
    There are always occasions when both 'have' the position. A bit like racing to turn off a roundabout in Rome; looking at who has the most banged up car as he gets into the side street first.

I can assure you that this happened several times during the race. That it happens during EVERY race.
    There are always occasions when both 'have' the position. A bit like racing to turn off a roundabout in Rome; looking at who has the most banged up car as he gets into the side street first.
    It's degree...

M.

How so, please? According to the stewards:

Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track Car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.

You seem to be suggesting that NR then backed up into LH's car.

How so, please? According to the stewards:

Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track Car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.

You seem to be suggesting that NR then backed up into LH's car.
    the rules say significant part, the stewards were being diplomatic, anything is going to happen in small fractions of a second at that speed.

Watch the Anthony Davidson analysis

the rules say significant part, the stewards were being diplomatic, anything is going to happen in small fractions of a second at that speed.

Watch the Anthony Davidson analysis
    Are you suggesting that there was contact before LH lost control and have you read the stewards' decision in full? It's linked above...

Are you suggesting that there was contact before LH lost control and have you read the stewards' decision in full? It's linked above...
    The issue is DR moved over and LH was already there, this is against the rules.

looks like people will argue this one forever

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=228&t=1595053
    Last edited by adrianw; 17th May 2016 at 13:53.

The issue is DR moved over and LH was already there, this is against the rules.

looks like people will argue this one forever

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=228&t=1595053
    It is one issue that "DR moved over..." while LH had part of his car alongside...and this was acknowledged by the stewards (and most, if not all, on here). It does not mean:

And there are other issues...

Master
    I have immense respect for both Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda but believe both of them got this wrong.

Rosberg clearly moved way off the racing line in order to block Hamilton and squeezed him on to the grass whilst Hamilton was partially alongside. It may be that Rosberg was somewhat distracted in correcting his previous mode error and was unaware of the overlap.

When Schumacher made a similar move on Barrichello, squeezing him towards a wall, he was given a penalty.

I was surprised by the Stewards decision but so be it.

Monaco holds no thrall for me, roll on Canada.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 17th May 2016 at 15:20.

When I eventualy got to see what happened, I was expecting them to jump out of their cars and start a bit of fisty cuffs, Hamilton just threw his multi thousand pounds worth of stearing wheel out of the pram, ah well just have to wait for the next race.
    Well done to Verstappen.
    Last edited by geran; 17th May 2016 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I have immense respect for both Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda but believe both of them got this wrong.

Rosberg clearly moved way off the racing line in order to block Hamilton and squeezed him on to the grass whilst Hamilton was partially alongside. It may be that Rosberg was somewhat distracted in correcting his previous mode error and was unaware of the overlap.

When Schumacher made a similar move on Barrichello, squeezing him towards a wall, he was given a penalty.

I was surprised by the Stewards decision but so be it.

Monaco holds no thrall for me, roll on Canada.
    Of course, thats how you block, or defend your position, you may as well say Lewis clearly moved way off the racing line to pass Nico.

No I am not.

But clearly well behind in speed and too late to close the gap.

This article in The Independent and the onboard video within pretty much sums it up for me. Aggressive actions from both drivers and the speed differential between the cars at that point led to the accident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...-spanish-gran/

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking

...and Max commented to Kimi that he had raced with his father.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Of course, thats how you block, or defend your position, you may as well say Lewis clearly moved way off the racing line to pass Nico.
    In the majority of cases the car behind moves off the racing line to overtake.

...and Max commented to Kimi that he had raced with his father.
    Back when Kimi could be bothered to race...

M.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Monaco Friday practice

Wow.
    What a blistering performance by Ricciardo.
    Same thing Max Verstappen taking it so sensibly step by step ahead.

Not so surprising that the bulls are all way up as they have two great cars both held back by the engines so they were likely to do good in Monaco.
    It is surprising though hoiw far back the Ferraris are and the sloppy driving by Vettel was just ... sloppy.

All in all rather a-typical, thus looking great for tomorrow and I hope Ricciardo gets pole. He so deserves it!

Blog Entries
    My least favourite race, but that said there's looking to be some healthy competition from the RB's this weekend. The Ferrari continues to regress, it really is a massive surprise that even though they cheated, I mean benefitted massively from having the Haas in their wind tunnel last year that aero wise they are quite appalling. Alonso was right to move all along, they ain't winning nothing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Alonso was right to move all along, they ain't winning nothing.
    He did not exactly move along, more like backwards didn't he?!

Can't see him this weekend beating even a sloppy Vettel in a Ferrari.

Looking forward to the QP this afternoon, not so much the race. Not staying home for the latter. Will enjoy real life while that happens and watch highlights of the 'race' later.

Looks like there could be rain tomorrow which should hopefully make it a bit more interesting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Alonso was rather incorrect.

With the new engine giving Ricciardo about two tenths over Verstappen, the latter is rather impressive.

Oh and the Mercs are following the predicted script.

Fingers crossed for this afternoon, that the silberpfeilen have not found a few tenths. Ah well, if they have they still can take each other out tomorrow. Especially if Hamilton has his usual start.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    I read the two links Pickle pointed out - they're quite contradictory really. The BBC asserting that Rosberg breached the relevant FIA article and therefore implying that he should have left the gap open while Mark Hughes seems to think he covered him off earlier similar to your opinion.
    I can expand it a bit on this. Crowding out beyond the limits of the track is actually in the MSA blue book regulations and FIA racing regs as well. David Coulthard spotted this point in the BBC commentary with regards to Rosberg's move. No doubt in my mind that Rosberg did indeed crowd out Hamilton hence breaking the rules. However, its almost unheard of to be penalised for crowding out in either top level motorsport or lower level amateur stuff, many people (including pretty much all racers I know off) will see crowding out as just normal blocking where you deny the guy behind the opportunity to pass. The crowding out regs are not a bad idea though as they were supposed to reduce contact in motorsport, if your stuck behind someone blocking aggressively as in pretty much any UK club level tin top racing then eventually one has to resort to a more 'aggressive' overtaking move, one that often ends up with a bit of door banging. Its an area that could probably do with clarifying really as its really hard to determine if a car has the racing line or not unless the other car either bangs in to the side of your car or is clearly alongside.

In this video clip for example we are giving each other room principally because whilst racing for position we were in different classes and just having a bit of fun, it would be nice to see racing in general like that but I certainly wouldn't give room like that to anyone else when I know they certainly won't be giving me the same courtesy.
    https://youtu.be/O5EQHaLWZJo

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I can expand it a bit on this.
    Yes, please do lest Hamilton crash into Rosberg again tomorrow

I can expand it a bit on this. Crowding out beyond the limits of the track is actually in the MSA blue book regulations and FIA racing regs as well. David Coulthard spotted this point in the BBC commentary with regards to Rosberg's move. No doubt in my mind that Rosberg did indeed crowd out Hamilton hence breaking the rules. However, its almost unheard of to be penalised for crowding out in either top level motorsport or lower level amateur stuff, many people (including pretty much all racers I know off) will see crowding out as just normal blocking where you deny the guy behind the opportunity to pass. The crowding out regs are not a bad idea though as they were supposed to reduce contact in motorsport, if your stuck behind someone blocking aggressively as in pretty much any UK club level tin top racing then eventually one has to resort to a more 'aggressive' overtaking move, one that often ends up with a bit of door banging. Its an area that could probably do with clarifying really as its really hard to determine if a car has the racing line or not unless the other car either bangs in to the side of your car or is clearly alongside.

In this video clip for example we are giving each other room principally because whilst racing for position we were in different classes and just having a bit of fun, it would be nice to see racing in general like that but I certainly wouldn't give room like that to anyone else when I know they certainly won't be giving me the same courtesy.
    So did the stewards:

"...Art 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside. Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track"...

Master

Couldn't watch that video, the camera angle being askew actually made me feel sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK...I'll match that. A tenner to the fund if he crashes. Given that many a F1 driver has made a mess of things at Monaco, evens is probably about right.
    I may be on a loser...an unaided crash in Q1.
    Last edited by PickleB; 28th May 2016 at 13:32.

Told you😎

Banned
    Blog Entries
    RIGHT!!!!

So deserved.
    Pity that Verstappen maintains his 100% record as he could haven been on second row.

Hamilton on second row promises fun.

Let's hope the weather forecast is right, the only hope of a interesting race is rain

Master
    Looking forward to the race, although it might be the usual procession with a few cars contacting the barriers to break it up a bit. I hope I'm wrong!

I'd have thought Hamilton is the last person that Rosberg wants right behind him, could be a good test of Rosberg's mental toughness again, although a 43 point gap will help.

Hmmm - I watched a series of excuses and sulky faces from some.

The place is a difficult track for sure but they know what they are dealing with, almost like spoilt children who are disappointed they didn't get an A* 'cos they thought they deserved it.

The race proper has the potential to be interesting (I think).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Hmmm - I watched a series of excuses and sulky faces from some.

The place is a difficult track for sure but they know what they are dealing with, almost like spoilt children who are disappointed they didn't get an A* 'cos they thought they deserved it.

The race proper has the potential to be interesting (I think).
    To be fair it's understandable for Hamilton to be a bit cheesed off given the bad luck he keeps having this season.

Like last year Verstappen's inexperience and aggressive style was exposed again on Monaco's unforgiving tight track. I think the pressure got to him this time, he was mightily impressive in Spain but it'll be interesting to see how he matches up to his illustrious teammate over the rest of the season.

It was a great lap from Ricciardo and if we get a decent amount of rain tomorrow I think it's set up to be a classic race.

What's the likelihood of some or all of the following happening today?

- Verstappen to hit the barriers again and/or take someone out.
    - Vettel to winge about his Ferrari and/or someone making a "crazy" move on him.
    - Lewis to have a sulk if he finishes below Rosberg
    - 3 or more safety car periods (including virtual) if it's wet
    - Mercedes to try a thinly vieled attempt to discourage Lewis from trying a move on Rosberg.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    What's the likelihood of some or all of the following happening today?

- Verstappen to hit the barriers again and/or take someone out.
    - Vettel to winge about his Ferrari and/or someone making a "crazy" move on him.
    - Lewis to have a sulk if he finishes below Rosberg
    - 3 or more safety car periods (including virtual) if it's wet
    - Mercedes to try a thinly vieled attempt to discourage Lewis from trying a move on Rosberg.
    All of the above!!

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    All of the above!!
    Resulting in several drivers behind sunglasses at interview time...even if it's raining.

Edit: Just heard them taking a hammer to MV's car (too many bodies in the human screen to see it). Apparently the wheel locked onto the hub and now they're replacing them both.
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th May 2016 at 12:07.

It's b pouring! Agrr..

Come on Charlie, get the safety car in!

It's in...LH tries his hand at drifting...a Lotus crashes and it's a virtual safety car!

Edit: MV up to 10th and sets the fastest lap...still 50+ laps to go, though.
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th May 2016 at 13:45.

Told you
    It's in...LH tries his hand at drifting...a Lotus crashes and it's a virtual safety car!

Edit: MV up to 10th and sets the fastest lap...still 50+ laps to go, though.
    But it didn't last...and I owe the fundraiser £10.

Edit: Donation made...
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th May 2016 at 14:07.

Unless something happens in the next lap or two, it looks to me as foregone conclusion. Oh well..

Best Monaco for some time. 2nd Red Bull cock-up on the trot spoiled it for Ricciardo but about time Hamilton had some luck this year.
    At least there is a bit more life in the championship now.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Any comment on Hamilton missing his braking point out of the tunnel then swerving to nearly take Ricciardo off ??

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Any comment on Hamilton missing his braking point out of the tunnel then swerving to nearly take Ricciardo off ??
    Yep..."Car 44 left at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track."

See link.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

What sort of comment are you looking for. LH lucky to avoid DR, DR very lucky not to be hit, DR was robbed, LH is a cockwomble?

Personally I would go for . A great win for LH - a big tough on DR but blame the pits.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Felt sorry for Ricciardo. Delivered the goods all weekend and got screwed by the team at a pivotal point. Real shame.