closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New arrival - SD4000; no photos but advice required...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
    You clearly like the watch but have some hang ups about the blingyness of the bezel. A solution would be to customise and matte the bezel and get the watch fully brushed ?
    How hard is it to make the ceramic bezel insert matte? Obviously other manufacturers (and even Rolex in the new YM) have matte ceramic bezels, but it seems like this would require removal of the insert, bead blasting, then replacement of the insert. I think it would be quite the challenge to do this without breaking the insert. Also, doesn't removal of the insert require a special tool now? So this seems possible, but far from easy.

If you're going to go to those lengths to modify the watch to your liking, this just might not be the watch for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    How hard is it to make the ceramic bezel insert matte? Obviously other manufacturers (and even Rolex in the new YM) have matte ceramic bezels, but it seems like this would require removal of the insert, bead blasting, then replacement of the insert. I think it would be quite the challenge to do this without breaking the insert. Also, doesn't removal of the insert require a special tool now? So this seems possible, but far from easy.

If you're going to go to those lengths to modify the watch to your liking, this just might not be the watch for you.
    A fellow forum member did something similar with his no date subc. I think he used ABC watch works.

Matte bezel 114060
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=440710

A fellow forum member did something similar with his no date subc. I think he used ABC watch works.

Matte bezel 114060
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=440710
    Could you post the pic here pls?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Could you post the pic here pls?

Thanks very interesting.

Journeyman
    The modded Sub looks quite nice. However, I don't think the matte bezel works as well with the glossy Sub dial. With a SDc it might work better since it has a satin dial.

Nice to know that this is a possibility, but I don't know if I'd have the guts to do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Not entirely right. You've got to wear it as well. You might like the look of it but only after wearing it for a while you'll know if you really like it.
    Disagree.
    You either like the look initially or you don't, it shouldn't be something you learn to like the look of just because of the specs.
    Wearing it, i.e. living with it, is another matter altogether.
    You may like the look, but can't wear it, too heavy, doesn't sit right, can't get the right bracelet/strap adjustment, or any number of other things. This is something you can either learn to put up with, find a compromise like changing the bracelet for a strap or vice versa.
    But the look is still the look (modding aside)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    If it’s such a major bug-bear, what the hell did you buy it for?
    You had one before, which you didn’t like, and the design is still exactly the same.
    Stop being a big girl’s blouse about it – either live with the bezel and just wear it or find something else that doesn’t bug you about its design instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm undecided, hence the post. It's a discussion forum - we discuss things.
    Granted it is a discussion forum, but what is there to discuss?
    You either like it or you don't, that's totally your feeling on the subject.

Master
    I'd say stick with the sd for a while to see if you move through the "bling" factor.

If not had you considered the Pelagos? A couple of mm larger but matte dial, bezel and case for minimum bling aligned to the brand going under the non wis radar, would this be a better fit for you I wonder?

Or as above get the bezel insert modded - personally I think it's a risk to mod it as if you can't bond with the modded watch you'll take a bath selling it on, plus I assume Rolex would insist on a change of bezel come service time as only they are authorised to service it.
    but I think it would have a certain cool and look good.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 12th January 2016 at 09:07. Reason: Missed the mod option.

Matt ceramic bezel and brushed finish comes as standard on a Pelagos, have you tried one of these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    For that to stop you buying such an incredible watch is just a shame IMO.
    What's it matter? Even if it was the best watch in the world, if someone doesn't like it, it doesn't fit them or is uncomfortable to wear, they aren't going to get on with it.

Master
    I do think sometimes the perspective is off with us watch nutters.
    "you have to have one as it's the best"
    "but it doesn't fit me and I don't like the look of it"
    "what's wrong with you?"

Admit it, I will and have had that conversation with someone before :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Seems obvious to me. You should get rid of it and don't look back.

WIS often seem to get caught up in what they think they SHOULD buy, because a watch "checks all the boxes" according to the community. I'm no different - I bought and sold the same watch four times - fortunately for my sanity it's finally gone for good.

Remember, ultimately we're not buying, or wearing, these things to tell the time. Any old smartphone or $20 Casio can serve that purpose. We wear them for the emotional connection. We wear them because we genuinely enjoy how they look and how they make us feel.

Do you agree? If so, why are you trying to force it???
    Agree, it really is that simple

Master
    You clearly like the watch but have some hang ups about the blingyness of the bezel. A solution would be to customise and matte the bezel and get the watch fully brushed ?
    And eliminate any value it had completely.

Master
    That does look much better.
    For me I still can't get over the 'square' case, and silly over sized crown guards, a very clunky look in my eyes.
    But, even though I dislike NATO straps, the case design looks better on one than the bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    What's it matter? Even if it was the best watch in the world, if someone doesn't like it, it doesn't fit them or is uncomfortable to wear, they aren't going to get on with it.
    He isn't talking about wearability. He's talking about an inconsequential "issue" that so many people get unnecessarily worked up about. Like not buying an amazing car because one of the switches is stuck out further than the rest.

Master
    He isn't talking about wearability. He's talking about an inconsequential "issue" that so many people get unnecessarily worked up about. Like not buying an amazing car because one of the switches is stuck out further than the rest.
    Not really, as the bezel does make up quite a lot of the look of the watch. Granted not a 'real' issue, but if aesthetically it bugs them, it does become an issue for the wearer /looker.
    And as with all irrational thoughts, the more you look, the more you notice, the more you dislike it.
    Why should someone buy anything just because 'it's good' if they don't like the look?

Master
    Not really, as the bezel does make up quite a lot of the look of the watch. Granted not a 'real' issue, but if aesthetically it bugs them, it does become an issue for the wearer /looker.
    And as with all irrational thoughts, the more you look, the more you notice, the more you dislike it.
    Who was talking about the bezel? I was referring to the end links.

Master
    Who was talking about the bezel? I was referring to the end links.
    Whoops, I was refering the OP and his issue.
    I agree with the end links, they do look odd.
    I tried one on when they first came out, the end links, odd, but not an issue, bezel I really liked, case shape and flow towards the bracelet I liked. But wasn't for me, as the maxi dial and smaller diameter of the dial compared to my Sub-Date, made it look small.

Great watch though

The price difference over a SubC is the only thing that's stopped me trying one of these, but I do understand your concerns about the bezel, I think it's too busy and the endlink issue is another sticking point. I guess if you've already bought and sold and are now struggling to like it then it's time to move it.

Nice review video Wayne, didn't know you were doing that.

Master
    Sounds like you *want* to like it more than you *do* like it.

Gut feeling is everything, and your gut is screaming "NO!".

If you didnt love it the first time, and you are on the fence a second time, then to me that is a clear indication it's not for you.

Really, how many times does a watch truly "grow" on you (and I am not talking about forcing yourself to wear something because you think you should).

Such a non-issue in reality

I mentioned it in my review...

...they look massive in internet photos, but the reality is fine. For that to stop you buying such an incredible watch is just a shame IMO.
    To be honest, the end links look badly designed to me - there is no reason, either practical or aesthetic, for them to sit above the lugs, but it's not that issue alone that would stop me from buying the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Really, how many times does a watch truly "grow" on you (and I am not talking about forcing yourself to wear something because you think you should).
    From not liking it (for whatever reason) to liking it, I'd guess at hardly ever to never
    From liking it, to loving it, more often

Master
    The endlinks accentuate the flow of the watch head to the bracelet - they're aesthetic to avoid a more blocky look if they were flush.

I like them, it's a subtle styling thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    To be honest, the end links look badly designed to me - there is no reason, either practical or aesthetic, for them to sit above the lugs, but it's not that issue alone that would stop me from buying the watch.
    I can't believe I'm contesting something said about this but actually, I think the reason is that the side profile of the watch have had to be different to match the end links, and not the other way around.

If if they'd matched the angles of the end links to the watch case, it would drop down too dramatically and not wear well on larger wrists. The angle of the end links helps with the wearability. That's just my opinion of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    The endlinks accentuate the flow of the watch head to the bracelet - they're aesthetic to avoid a more blocky look if they were flush.

To me they just look ill fitting, as they rise above the lugs, they should be flush fit, the case still flows into the bracelet (on the sides) rather than having that horrible SUBc 'step'

Master
    I can't believe I'm contesting something said about this but actually, I think the reason is that the side profile of the watch have had to be different to match the end links, and not the other way around.

If if they'd matched the angles of the end links to the watch case, it would drop down too dramatically and not wear well on larger wrists. The angle of the end links helps with the wearability. That's just my opinion of course.
    They should have done a proper job matching case to bracelet / bracelet to case, rather than this half arsed effort

On the basis of your apparently astronomically high level of indecisiveness I suggest you wear it for a while and then make your decision.

Why? Because if you move it straight on I suspect it won't be too long before you have a third one sitting in front of you!!!!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post

As far as I can tell from pics they did not polish the sides of the end link sticking out. Happy to be corrected here by someone who owns it.

But if that's the case then it's sloppy, like fitting a bracelet from another watch.

If you want the stepped effect as a design choice that's fine, but then finish all visible sides.

Master
    They should have done a proper job matching case to bracelet / bracelet to case, rather than this half arsed effort
    lol :-D

It doesn't look good to my eyes either but I do like the watch overall.

The end links on the SubC and GMT are slightly undersized in relation to the ends of the lugs, whereas the SD seems fit slightly proud.

The different case profile of the SD possibly plays a part. Does the SD share its end links with the Sub I wonder?

With Rolex ceramic bezels you get all sorts of different colours, in some lights it looks like an aged aluminium insert.

A Sapphire crystal to really admire.

No one could say the dive extension is a half arsed effort.

All stolen pics.

The solid end links on the 1665 were spot on imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    The solid end links on the 1665 were spot on imho.

They're not solid endlinks

They're not solid endlinks
    You can tell I can't afford one! Just testing you

New arrival - SD4000; no photos but advice required...

So is this true then? No Side polish? Or just dirt?

Do Rolex use the same bracelet for the SubC and SD4000? Given the Sd4000 is a couple of MM shorter than the SubC this would explain the issue !

That's my modded 114060 above.

I also have a 116600 which I did consider doing the mods on but decided on the 114060 for a few reasons, one thing I would say is even with the satin dial on the 116600 which looks gloss in most normal lighting conditions you will still have the bezel/dial contrast, pics do exaggerate this look. Only true way would be a refinished dial.

As for value clearly this will be effected by any modification but the outcome can vary, yes ive limited my audience if I wanted to sell but I have had offers come in from people seeing the pictures.

Do Rolex use the same bracelet for the SubC and SD4000? Given the Sd4000 is a couple of MM shorter than the SubC this would explain the issue !
    Links and clasp- Yes (added divers link but this is a pay option on the SubC anyway)

End links- No

Thats so good! Know of anyone within EU who does this?

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Thats so good! Know of anyone within EU who does this?
    PITBULL666 above is the man to speak to. He's the gent who did the MOD. Couldn't remember his TZUK handle or find the original post on TZUK until he posted.

Case finish: brushed Vs bead blasted
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=338344

PITBULL666 above is the man to speak to. He's the gent who did the MOD. Couldn't remember his TZUK handle or find the original post on TZUK until he posted.

Case finish: brushed Vs bead blasted
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=338344
    Overlooked his post, cheers!

I've owned mine for nearly a year and I love it more now than I did when it arrived last year. I've worn it every day since and never felt like it was out of place with whatever I was wearing or where I was going. I currently only have one watch and I couldn't be happier.

I agree with previous comments about it changing colour under different lights. Also the end links seem to add something to the watch for me.

One thing I did do as soon I got mine was to remove the divers extension as I read on here that it makes the watch more wearable. The only Hong I can say on that is that I've never though, I wish I could take it off as its getting uncomfortable. I use to think that about my Sub after a number of hours of wear.

If there is such a thing as a true keeper, for me the Sdc is it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    So is this true then? No Side polish? Or just dirt?
    It’s hardly dirt!
    Pointless polishing the sides that are nestled within the lugs – they’ll be scratched in no time whatsoever.