closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arrival - SD4000; no photos but advice required...

Master

New arrival - SD4000; no photos but advice required...

When this watch came out, it sounded like the perfect watch for me, in fact I remember posting those very words on this forum at the time.

Then I bought one.

Didn't like it.

Sold it.

I know why I didn't like it; it's too shouty, the bezel is too blingy and I'm slightly conscious of wearing it in company.

But I kept looking at them, as I know on paper it makes perfect sense - so there's now another one on my desk, and I really can't decide what to do.

Should I whack it on, give it a few months and see if it grows on me? Or follow my gut now and move it on?

I know I prefer vintage but as an everyday watch, this would stop a tank - and I worry a bit about wearing my older watches in the rain (I know)

I'm never indecisive about anything, except this blasted watch!

Help! (no photos as you know what they look like)

Grand Master
    When you analyse it the SD4000 is a great watch, its strong, matte dial, and no cyclops and as a result a clean exterior thats perfect for work, rest and play. Slightly overpriced compared to the other subs but bloody good
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    For me its the perfect everyday watch, get it on and give it a chance.

Send it to me, I'll put a few years wear on it and then when it's less blingy and new you can have it back.

Good deal?

Master
    Am also on my second and a keeper this time around. Ticks the dive watch option in my newly limited collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    When you analyse it the SD4000 is a great watch, its strong, matte dial, and no cyclops and as a result a clean exterior thats perfect for work, rest and play. Slightly overpriced compared to the other subs but bloody good
    I know Kerry, on paper it ticks every box for me. My major bug-bear is the ceramic bezel insert.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I can wear it at work for a few months, get rid of the bling for you!!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I can wear it at work for a few months, get rid of the bling for you!!!
    I bet you could

Journeyman
    Sd4000 is a beautiful watch if I was ever getting another steel Rolex that would be at the top of my list

Master
    Hang on, this can only be a WIS thing
    Bought a watch, didn't like it, sold it, bought the same watch again, not sure if I like it.
    WTF?

No one can convince you to keep it or move it on, that's totally up to you.
    IMO watches are a very visual thing, if you don't like the appearance initially, I doubt you'll like it one day.

Craftsman
    Your gut got the watch to your desk... now put it on and it'll grow on you, given a chance.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Bought a watch, didn't like it, sold it, bought the same watch again, not sure if I like it.
    WTF? .
    WTF just about sums this up i think

The fact that you've bought one again would suggest that you haven't got it out of your system yet.

So you need to wear it for a while to see if you can live with it.

I'm not a big fan myself, but would hardly call them blingy. I think you're being over critical as self conscious, but that should wear off with familiarity.

Master
    I have done this,found second time around same issues resurfaced and ditched again.A tough one but I'd sell on now and save a few months angst.
    Did you see the PP Aquanaut in Lunns ?

Master
    Stop being a big girl's blouse and just wear it!

Master
    Best watch I've ever had. Others will come and go, I doubt any will surpass it.

Providing your vintage watch is serviced then don't be afraid of the rain, and do you need a watch to stop tanks?

I may get flamed for this but your instincts were right first time, its a blingy lump had you not thought that you'd still have the first one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried ceramic. 4 times.
    Went back to aluminium bezel models.
    YMMV. My advice would be wear it and get used to it before hitting the eject button.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    I have done this,found second time around same issues resurfaced and ditched again.A tough one but I'd sell on now and save a few months angst.
    Did you see the PP Aquanaut in Lunns ?
    Seen it :-)

And wisely ran away.

Seems to be conflicting advice, which is to be expected I suppose. I'll maybe size the bracelet and wear it indoors for a few hours and make my mind up, hopefully.

Master
    WTF?

IMO watches are a very visual thing, if you don't like the appearance initially, I doubt you'll like it one day.
    Not entirely right. You've got to wear it as well. You might like the look of it but only after wearing it for a while you'll know if you really like it.

I honestly think you should just keep it and maybe use it as a weekend watch. I have a similar issue with the Royal Oaks; I appreciate and like everything about them except it is a bit flashy (the bevels keep reflecting light from all angles) and it is a scratch magnet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I know Kerry, on paper it ticks every box for me. My major bug-bear is the ceramic bezel insert.
    If it’s such a major bug-bear, what the hell did you buy it for?
    You had one before, which you didn’t like, and the design is still exactly the same.
    Stop being a big girl’s blouse about it – either live with the bezel and just wear it or find something else that doesn’t bug you about its design instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Stop being a big girl's blouse and just wear it!
    Ha ha…great minds and all that.
    Hadn’t seen that before making my reply – how uncanny!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    If it’s such a major bug-bear, what the hell did you buy it for?
    You had one before, which you didn’t like, and the design is still exactly the same.
    Stop being a big girl’s blouse about it – either live with the bezel and just wear it or find something else that doesn’t bug you about its design instead.
    I'm undecided, hence the post. It's a discussion forum - we discuss things.
    Last edited by demonloop; 11th January 2016 at 18:23.

As has been said, I've also tried Ceramic Subs, keep selling them and going back to pre-ceramic models.

They are classic perfect Rolex sports models in my view, the ceramic variants are things of beauty just doesn't have that tool watch look, it's like a blinged up version, not everyone wants that look. Looks more jewelry than tool/functional watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they are great watches. However, I get you on the bling. It's a little too shiny and nice. The bezel being the thing that stops it being perfect in my eyes.
    What about a late 16600? You'll still get the modern reliability, be able to go out in the rain ;-), and its a little less in your face.
    Of the two, I think I still prefer the older model. And it's cheaper. Which I like because I'm tight.

Will you be able to see it now for the same that you just paid?

And if you wear it for a short while and then sell it, how much will you lose?

Master
    No, no, no - we unleash our petty biases and prejudices at the first available opportunity. Honestly, some folk..... ;-)

SGR

I have also wanted to try one Ryan but fearing the same as you!

I bought a new SUB ND which you ended up with.

I think you are a Vintage WIS at heart, does not matter if they get wet in the rain, been in the Sea with a lot of my Divers if seals are changed/checked!

Buy a old DJ or similar to wear daily, not lots of money, comfy and looks great on a NATO.

Blog Entries
    OP You've already answered your own question. I say always follow your feelings (gut reaction). I refer you back to your post. You obviously don't like wearing it so sell it to someone who will.

As others have said. Get a recent 16600 and enjoy! Beware though they wear different (the 16600 can be top heavy for some). Why not get a submariner instead?

Martyn.

Sell it and buy something with lug holes, these Ceramic Rolex have no soul!

Ask me again in 10 years and I might be saying the opposite.

Unless I've got it mixed up with a different model, the thing I wouldn't be able to get used to is the bracelet end links sitting proud of the lugs

By the sound of it you have too many doubts for it to be the right watch for you. I had considered one too, but after finally trying it on yesterday I just didn't like it. True, it sometimes take a while to form a true opinion of a watch, but you really sound like you want to like it but don't. SCFTW

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    The fact that you've bought one again would suggest that you haven't got it out of your system yet.

So you need to wear it for a while to see if you can live with it.

I'm not a big fan myself, but would hardly call them blingy. I think you're being over critical as self conscious, but that should wear off with familiarity.
    I agree - the OP clearly needs to get this out of his system and wear that gorgeous watch for a while.

In my opinion the most beautiful and well built diver of the Rolex range and a future classic.

I actually love the ceramic bezel and think it's got enough shiny bits while looking utterly hard and tool

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    I have also wanted to try one Ryan but fearing the same as you!

I bought a new SUB ND which you ended up with.

I think you are a Vintage WIS at heart, does not matter if they get wet in the rain, been in the Sea with a lot of my Divers if seals are changed/checked!

Buy a old DJ or similar to wear daily, not lots of money, comfy and looks great on a NATO.
    Yeah, I know you're right Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP You've already answered your own question. I say always follow your feelings (gut reaction). I refer you back to your post. You obviously don't like wearing it so sell it to someone who will.

As others have said. Get a recent 16600 and enjoy! Beware though they wear different (the 16600 can be top heavy for some). Why not get a submariner instead?

Martyn.
    I agree completely with this Martyn, the 16600 doesn't sit right on my wrist. I'm not a massive cyclops fan either, but I've chopped those off in the past. Might look for a battered 16610 and take the hatchet to it or maybe a 14060M. I'd love a Great White, but I'd end up babying it.

Journeyman
    If you don't give it another try, you'll always wonder if you would like it again. Just give it a go, and sell it again if it doesn't work out.

There are some on the forums who have owned/sold a particular watch model literally a dozen times or more. So don't sweat a one time regret.

Personally, I find the ceramic Rolex bezels too shiny. Combined with the flat sapphire crystal (except on the Deep Sea), no AR, and polished bits, Rolex divers tend to be a bit blingy. I read once that this was on purpose in order for them to be eye catching. If that's not your thing or the brand reputation is an issue, then you can always sell it again, likely for near zero loss.
    Last edited by Foodle; 11th January 2016 at 21:58.

Master
    Is that what this place is?
    I’m surprised I’ve never noticed that before – I always thought it was just an online jumble sale of phones, tablets, cameras, and tactical underpants, with the odd sporadic thread about “which watch…?” to break up the monotony.

Banned
    I have been close to buying one several times, but it remains top heavy and the date is small, so do we need a date at all?

All my opinion, but god help me, I still want to buy one, even if just to shove in the safe. With grey discount, surely it can hold close to its value?

Personally Ryan I wouldn’t be able to resist. Budget for a few hundred quid loss and strap it on for a month or so. Then you can answer your own question and not rely on a bunch of complete loons!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Then you can answer your own question and not rely on a bunch of complete loons!

Well thanks for that, in future perhaps folk should just PM you for your insight and superior understanding of any given situation.

Blog Entries
    I recently traded a SubC for an Explorer 1. I barely wore the Sub in about a year of ownership.

The main reason was it was too glossy and it did not feel "right"

I managed to get another 2500 PO about 3 months ago and the quality of the PO is certainly not as good but god it brings a much bigger smile to my face when wearing than the Sub ever did.

Just my 2p as I can easily understand why others will have a completely different opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Well thanks for that, in future perhaps folk should just PM you for your insight and superior understanding of any given situation.

Read it in context.

The selective comment you've quoted is taking the pee out of ourselves, nothing more.

Ignore the pillocks OP.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Read it in context.

The selective comment you've quoted is taking the pee out of ourselves, nothing more.

Ignore the pillocks OP.
    Sorry burnsey just having a giggle, as you were.

I know here you're coming from. The 16600 was my first love, I always thought it was the one. But, over the years, I decided it was slightly top heavy and small, with no bracelet adjustment. The SDc seemed so fix all these problems, so I jumped on it last year. On the whole, I was pleased with the improvements - I enjoy it most days. But, some days I think it's too heavy, too bulky. I've decided on a few occasions to sell it, but I haven't yet - because it's almost perfect. I've yet to find the one - but the SDc is the closest yet.

Couldn't agree more, if it came with a matte ceramic insert rather than the shiny grease and fingerprint magnet one it currently has I'd have one as my "everyday" watch in a heartbeat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Unless I've got it mixed up with a different model, the thing I wouldn't be able to get used to is the bracelet end links sitting proud of the lugs
    Such a non-issue in reality

I mentioned it in my review...

...they look massive in internet photos, but the reality is fine. For that to stop you buying such an incredible watch is just a shame IMO.

I did exactly the same, thought it would be the only watch i'd need. Ticked all the boxes for work and play. I'd needed a watch that had minute markers and a date for when i'm operational at work and my Panerai's just weren't cutting it. Not the biggest fan of bracelets, so i popped it on a Rubber B. Had it now 3 months and have worn half a dozen times if not less. It just leaves me cold..

Apprentice
    Hi – just my opinion but I prefer the previous model SD.
    I haven’t owned the latest ceramic model although I have owned the Seamaster 300m ceramic before deciding to swap for a 16610 submariner. The aluminium bezels are understated and I personally prefer the classic look of the older models.

However I do like the new model and I can see the many advantages as described in recent posts so I think it comes down to personal preference!

I also enjoyed the video review from W44NNE! Will keep an eye on your channel for future watch reviews

WTF?

I've done this with the Seiko MM300 on three occasions now - there are some elements I love about the watch - but others I haven't been able to get over. The SD4000 probably isn't in the same ball park though - yes, it's a bit more bling - but probably less than a modern day Sub or GMT.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Seems obvious to me. You should get rid of it and don't look back.

WIS often seem to get caught up in what they think they SHOULD buy, because a watch "checks all the boxes" according to the community. I'm no different - I bought and sold the same watch four times - fortunately for my sanity it's finally gone for good.

Remember, ultimately we're not buying, or wearing, these things to tell the time. Any old smartphone or $20 Casio can serve that purpose. We wear them for the emotional connection. We wear them because we genuinely enjoy how they look and how they make us feel.

Do you agree? If so, why are you trying to force it???

You clearly like the watch but have some hang ups about the blingyness of the bezel. A solution would be to customise and matte the bezel and get the watch fully brushed ?