closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Came on to shout out Stranger Things... Beaten to the punch, clearly!

Also thoroughly enjoying the insane Preacher show too.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Billions is very good. Don't expect lots of action but good story, good characters and great acting.
    Full series currently on box sets
    Wasn't sure of this at first but now into it... Good episodes quite fun, the lawyers wife was the department store heiress in Mad Men, she's hot in this too especially in her nightwear..... Not skinny hips but lovely figure .... Raunchy stuff in places ... The young lawyer and her friend who blackmails her also wonderful.....

I'm on episode 4 I think.....

Haven't yet finished Jessica Jones yet either.....

Master
    Jessica Jones was one of the most/best unexpected shows of recent times. Wasn't really bothered to start with but it was a much more complex/interesting and all round amazing show than I expected!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    not sure if this has been said but iv'e just started mr robot and am very impressed.. highly recommended

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Stranger Things brilliant series watched the 1st 4 and now addicted. Looks great in 4k.

One ten-part half-hour comedy I happened upon on Sky Box Sets recently was The Brink, with Jack Black. Very funny, intelligent and well acted. Recommended.

Master
    Yeah that was properly funny and a very well written series.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Mr Robot on Universal. Good stuff and a welcome return to the screen for Christian Slater. Tin foil hat and anti-globalisation stuff very much the thing these days but there is a real darkness to the characters which is interesting for a US series.

Another vote for Peaky Blinders...me and the snapdragon thought we'd give it a go recently and loved it....(PB that is...ahem cough)...I also see that Fargo series 2 is now up on Netflix...first series was excellent...good shout with 'Braquo'...I'll give that a go

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Yeah that was properly funny and a very well written series.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Mr Robot on Universal. Good stuff and a welcome return to the screen for Christian Slater. Tin foil hat and anti-globalisation stuff very much the thing these days but there is a real darkness to the characters which is interesting for a US series.
    I enjoyed the first series, started well but towards the end the plot seemed to pretty much be a remake of a well known movie. Second series started recently, so need to start watching that to see where they go with it

Brighty

Master
    If its a binge watch of a series then theres been a few of Strike Back from a couple of years ago.
    Person of Interest has now finished so thats another 5 series worth to plod through.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    Another vote for Stranger Things brilliant series watched the 1st 4 and now addicted. Looks great in 4k.
    I am loving this! I started it last night and I'm now watching episode 8. I really should go to bed.

I would definitely recommend it. It's like a modern Goonies.

We started watching "The Last Ship" last night. Exciting, well shot and they didn't skimp on the budget.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Watched a few. Peaky Blinders by a country mile!

Or Boardwalk Empire if you have a good amount of time spare.

As below stranger things on Netflix is great.

Blog Entries
    do i have to pay extra for 4k on netflix?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    do i have to pay extra for 4k on netflix?

I think they have different subscription tiers. I did think that was more for authorised multiple screens permitted at any given time. I'd hope titles available in 4K would be included in the price you pay

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Outcast is brilliant and can be downloaded on demand as its part way through season 1 on fox at the minute.
    Mentioned it in the dedicated thread but thought id do so here as well. First episode was a little slow but it was more an exercise in stage setting for the rest of the episodes. It's got dark.

Craftsman
    Three episodes into Stranger Things , one of the best programmes ive seen in ages.

Think of a mash up of; ET, Close Encounters, The Goonies, Stephen King novels and Poltergeist with awesome 80s music. It's pretty creapy too.

There's loads of nods to all things 80s too including Star Wars, The Thing, X Men comics, Jaws, plus loads more I've probably missed.

Basically if you were born in the 70s then it'll make you feel like a kid again.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Basically if you were born in the 70s then it'll make you feel like a kid again.
    Agreed! (Although I only just made it to being born in the 70s)

Another endorsement for Stranger things here, 3 episodes in and it's pretty good!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Deadwood

I can thoroughly recommend Deadwood. The writing is epic.
    Ian McShane is a class act!

Master
    Deadwood was amazing but I can't get over the fact that they binned it after 3 seasons with no notice, no conclusions and a lot more story to tell!

Apprentice
    If you have Netflix I would highly recommend both Marco Polo and Power.

Apologies if they've been mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Deadwood was amazing but I can't get over the fact that they binned it after 3 seasons with no notice, no conclusions and a lot more story to tell!

Yes very disappointing.
    On the upside, three seasons of some quality acting and extreme profanity!

“Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I’ve always assumed?… I’d like to use your ointment to suffocate you.” – E.B. Farnum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

I know there's been a lot of talk over the years about a movie but it looks like it's actually happening this time http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/3...-being-written

Fingers crossed it does happen as it's one of the best TV series I've seen.

Master
    Mr Robot has got a lot of good praise on here but I'm struggling a little with it having binge-watched 7 episodes - can't see where it's going and unevenly paced. That said I can see the quality and hope that it will start coming together.

I'm not the first to say it but if you have Netflix, ignore everything else mentioned in this thread until you've watched Stranger Things. If you don't have Netflix, get it, then watch Stranger Things.

It's some of the best TV ever made. It's basically what you'd get if John Carpenter and Steven Spielberg got together in the mid-80s to make a 6 hour movie split into 8 parts. It's somewhere halfway between ET and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Normally even the best TV series has at least one flaw: some bad acting, a slow episode or a plot-hole. I literally cannot think of a single flaw in Stranger Things. The attention to detail is incredible, down to the use of effects reminiscent of those used in the 80s films they're paying homage to. I really hope they make a second season and it lives up to the very high expectations set by the first.

You can do a free trial on Netflix for 30 days if you just want to sign up to watch a series and make your mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

. I literally cannot think of a single flaw in Stranger Things.
    No babes.

Master
    Most channels will be filled with Olympic crap for the foreseeable future. Oh God.....

We're currently working our way through the original House of Cards (Netflix have thrown another 30 day trial at me) and it's every bit as tightly-written and performed as I remember it. In the light of recent events it's also remarkably topical. We'll probably give the re-make a look-in afterwards so it had better be good to hold our attention.

Roadies on Amazon Prime in the UK is good fun, and beautifully made. By Cameron Crowe, so if you liked Almost Famous you will enjoy it. The same themes, and Rafe Spall gets to be the British guy....

Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I know there's been a lot of talk over the years about a movie but it looks like it's actually happening this time http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/3...-being-written

Craftsman
    Just working my way through Stranger Things now, gone through 3 episodes this evening.

Other series I've been into/caught up on:

Gomorrah
    Making a Murderer
    House of Cards
    Peaky Blinders
    Line of Duty
    Luther
    Better Call Saul

Netflix is thoroughly recommended btw, given the free trial and easy cancellation policy, it's a no-brainer IMO.

Another for Stranger Things. I love the whole 80's feel of it. Unfortunately, I read a spoiler on Facebook...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post

Wow let's hope so. As others have said it was so disappointing the way it just . . . . Err disappeared!

Hopefully they'll get the cast back together. Ian McShane is a brilliant actor, I was really hoping his appearance in GOT would be a permanent one, not the seemingly 4 1/2 minutes he had

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    We're currently working our way through the original House of Cards (Netflix have thrown another 30 day trial at me) and it's every bit as tightly-written and performed as I remember it. In the light of recent events it's also remarkably topical. We'll probably give the re-make a look-in afterwards so it had better be good to hold our attention.
    It is. It's better than the original, which was brilliant in itself.

I've just started watching Falling Skies, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It is. It's better than the original, which was brilliant in itself.

I've just started watching Falling Skies, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

On Eddies recommendation I started watching 'The Last Ship' last night...its intriguing, will watch another tonight

I started watching Stranger Things last night after it was recommended here, only 2 episodes in but it has my interest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Mr Robot has got a lot of good praise on here but I'm struggling a little with it having binge-watched 7 episodes - can't see where it's going and unevenly paced. That said I can see the quality and hope that it will start coming together.
    Season 1 was great.

Season 2 so far is rubbish if you ask me.

Other things

True Detective Season 1 ( amazing)
    True Detective Season 2 ( alos amazing but they should never have called it True Detective , watch it on its own terms instead and its a great drama)

The Expanse ( please watch this if you like scifi)

Halt and Catch Fire (2 seasons so far with a third coming soon) Please watch this its brilliant , the characters and acting are so deep and believable as real people with all sorts of faults.

Another vote for Stranger Things - although it is essentially just a bunch of different source materials merged in to one show - brilliantly cast. Not that the writers have claimed any different.

I'm enjoying Silicon Valley, but that's prob because I work in tech and there are lot of character archetypes in there I come across on a daily basis.

Similar vein 'Halt and Catch Fire' is really good based around the time of the birth of the PC (and loosely based on Compaq in Houston).

For throw away fun / guilty pleasures i do like Ballers.

Much as I hate to just repeat what others have said, Stranger Things is the best show I've watched this year, Better Call Saul is class, Jessica Jones and Daredevil great stuff if you want an alternative to the standard comic book fare, and Peaky Blinders is a must see

Quote Originally Posted by wilfmannion View Post
    Much as I hate to just repeat what others have said, Stranger Things is the best show I've watched this year, Better Call Saul is class, Jessica Jones and Daredevil great stuff if you want an alternative to the standard comic book fare, and Peaky Blinders is a must see
    Yet another thanks for Stranger Things - great fun and some nice nostalgia bits.....some nice throwbacks to ET, Poltergeist and Stephen King tales like Firestarter for example......

even as a manic mother Winona is still hot

Daredevil I've recommended before but it is superb.... Preacher weird but good.....

For a bit of hokum entertainment, "The Strain" is easy watching and stars David Bradley (Walder Frey in GoT).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Definitely going to check out Stranger Things. Everyone is talking about it.

Detectorists was good, for some light watching comedy.

Master
    Agree with Stranger Things and Preacher is new out and awesome. Also rewatching True Blood with the Mrs and despite being fairly silly it's good fun and easy to watch.

Master
    We just watched the first two episodes of Stranger things and really enjoyed it and I am sure it will get better as it goes along, as for Preacher we started it last night and watched it up until that weird scene on the plane and when he jumped out of the plane we switched it off but until then I liked the vibe but that scene was weird and his Irish accent was awful and he was brilliant in This is England but I just can't see him as a fighter :) are we missing out on this?

Ray Donovan, amazing and highly recommend!

benwoodroffe
    We watched the first episode of vice principles last night, was funny

On Amazon Video:
    - Preacher
    - Tyrant
    - Lucifer

On Netflix:
    - Marco Polo
    - White Collar (not new but still good)