closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Just finished season two of The Man in the High Castle.

Simply exceptional. The detail and the depiction of Berlin under a world dominating reich in 1963 is quite incredible to any student of history. An utterly compelling glimpse of what might have been...
    We're now on ep 6 of the second season, and have to agree that this is one of the best programmes of the past few years, the equal of many of the more widely-acclaimed fave's IMO.

I'm more of a sci-fi rather than history buff, but clearly PKD thought through the alternative history very carefully, and you don't have to know much about WW2 to see that it could quite easily have gone the other way, particularly if (as in TMITHC) the Germans had further capitalised on technological advantages.

As you said, they have paid a lot of attention to the production design, especially Berlin, so it's a very convincing world.

I also like the usual PKD themes of uncertain realities/parallel worlds.

(I wonder whether there is also an intended/unintended pop at US hegemony/imperialism?)

The first eipsode of Travellers was good. No idea where it's going, but I'm going to watch the second, at least.

I'm also enjoying Shooter, though its weekly episode format is a bit odd. It doesn't seem to have suffered too much from Mark Wahlberg's involvement.

Just watched the first two episodes of Travelers (sic), not bad but I wonder if it will get repetitive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Just watched the first two episodes of Travelers (sic), not bad but I wonder if it will get repetitive.
    yes just watched the first two myself, seems ok but I hope it doesn't get into solving a different dilemma every episode, I want to see a build up of why they are really here, what I suspect is an extinction level event.

Grand Master
    Westworld is worth watching.

Also The Affair on sky box sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Spiral (Engrenages) is a hugely underwatched show. French police drama - amazing. Decent grown up TV.
    Caroline Proust who plays the lead Laure Berthaud, is bloody hot too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has just arrived on Netflix here. I haven't read the book (s?), it is as whacky as HHGG but a good deal darker. Strange to see 'Toby' from The West Wing and 'Frodo Baggins' in really different roles.

I just watched the Oa on netflix
    It kept me entertained for all episodes
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Narcos

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    yes just watched the first two myself, seems ok but I hope it doesn't get into solving a different dilemma every episode, I want to see a build up of why they are really here, what I suspect is an extinction level event.
    Episode 5 just took the series in a new direction.

I recently enjoyed watching the first season of Falling Water, only to be disappointed by the ending, what a let down.

Craftsman
    if you havent seen it yet, Orange is the new black is well worth a shout... Just finished all 4 seasons with the missus!

Master
    Just finished The Exorcist, surprisingly very good. Well worth a look if you like that kind of thing

Craftsman
    Watch a few episodes of The Wrong Mans over Christmas. Quite enjoyed it. Black comedy and an easy watch. Arguably a bit samey but alright for a quick laugh if you are looking to kill some time.

Really quite enjoying this - stick with it...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just started watching 'The Night Of' about a kid who wakes up to find the girl he just met and slept with is dead, with multiple stab wounds in her bed, the story then follows him being caught, arrested, trial etc.

some old school actors in it, all very New York, and seems to be good.

NARCOS on Netflix is absolutely superb- best thing since Breaking Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Just started watching 'The Night Of' about a kid who wakes up to find the girl he just met and slept with is dead, with multiple stab wounds in her bed, the story then follows him being caught, arrested, trial etc.

some old school actors in it, all very New York, and seems to be good.
    I think we discussed it a few pages back - in short it's brilliant. Episode 1 is some of the best TV this year. The tension that mounts is amazing.

The Affair just gets better & better.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    We're now on ep 6 of the second season, and have to agree that this is one of the best programmes of the past few years, the equal of many of the more widely-acclaimed fave's IMO.

I'm more of a sci-fi rather than history buff, but clearly PKD thought through the alternative history very carefully, and you don't have to know much about WW2 to see that it could quite easily have gone the other way, particularly if (as in TMITHC) the Germans had further capitalised on technological advantages.

As you said, they have paid a lot of attention to the production design, especially Berlin, so it's a very convincing world.

I also like the usual PKD themes of uncertain realities/parallel worlds.

(I wonder whether there is also an intended/unintended pop at US hegemony/imperialism?)
    I felt series 1 was far too much style over substance.

There is no question that it LOOKED amazing, but the plot wasn't that strong, nor most of the performances.

Rufus Sewell was much vaunted in this, but didn't really seem to have that much to do.

After a while the 'alternative history' imagery lost its novelty and I struggled to the end, to be honest.

Was series 2 similar? I won't bother if so.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    The Affair just gets better & better.
    I guess you have little time for TV then ;)

M

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm also enjoying Shooter, though its weekly episode format is a bit odd. It doesn't seem to have suffered too much from Mark Wahlberg's involvement.
    I watched the first episode and I think Stephen Hunter is probably spinning in his grave.

There was a line in it about him never talking about his time in the army followed almost immediately by him telling his daughter a choice of stories about his time in the army.

The Blacklist is back. Also the second season of, The Unforgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I watched the first episode and I think Stephen Hunter is probably spinning in his grave.
    He's not dead... Just saying

We started watching "24" before Christmas and have just started season 8. No casual sex, no swearing, often unbelievable but fast-paced and action-packed. Not too taxing and we find it enjoyable.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

On American (FX) and UK (BBC) TV, a new Tom Hardy thriller series begins in a few days, called "Taboo." It follows an Englishman (Hardy) who returns to London in the early 1800s after spending ten years in Africa. I am convinced this trailer will peak your curiosity!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 8th January 2017 at 04:08.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I felt series 1 was far too much style over substance.

There is no question that it LOOKED amazing, but the plot wasn't that strong, nor most of the performances.

Rufus Sewell was much vaunted in this, but didn't really seem to have that much to do.

After a while the 'alternative history' imagery lost its novelty and I struggled to the end, to be honest.

Was series 2 similar? I won't bother if so.

M
    I know now what you mean about style over substance - no doubt it looks fantastic, with extremely close attention to detail (s2 is even better), but I think s2 takes it above a simple good v bad story - much more moral ambiguity.

Definitely worth giving it a bit more time.

Master
    Just caught up with Shooter on Netflix, really good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    On American (FX) and UK (BBC) TV, a new Tom Hardy thriller series begins in a few days, called "Taboo." It follows an Englishman (Hardy) who returns to London in the early 1800s after spending ten years in Africa. I am convinced this trailer will peak your curiosity!

I watched the first episode, very promising but too early to tell too much
    It's just a matter of time...

^ Just watched it too, so far so good.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Man in the High Castle has turned out to be quite interesting with the second season bringing in a lot more characters and information. I have to admit, i gave up after about 7 episodes of season 1, but being ill over Christmas meant i sat and watched the rest and season 2, and it is starting to knit together, season 3 should answer even more questions hopefully and flesh out the show a bit more.

Hello

Fauda on Netflix.

Israeli political thriller. Follows a Special Forces type group and their missions/lives.

Well worth a watch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I just watched the Oa on netflix
    It kept me entertained for all episodes
    just got through four episodes this weekend, can highly recommend really enjoying it so far and not a clue where it's heading!

Craftsman
    New season of Death in Paradise

Master
    Sheesh - there's just too many aren't there? - all pretty high quality too. TV series are the new films now, there seems a lack of imagination if films now with only Superhero and sequel films getting good box-office. The only problem with American shows is sometimes they don't seem to know when to stop - they either meander on a couple of seasons too many or get abruptly cancelled (very frustrating).

Craftsman
    Zombie programmes seem to be the flavour of the month at the moment.

The Crown is by far the best TV I've seen since Breaking Bad. There are at least 4 award-worthy performances and it is written with immense subtlety and power. It is riveting television.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    The Crown is by far the best TV I've seen since Breaking Bad. There are at least 4 award-worthy performances and it is written with immense subtlety and power. It is riveting television.
    I quite agree, really enjoyed it.
    Would love to know if HRH watches it 😀
    Cheers..
    Jase

Watching 'Mad dogs' on Amazon, pretty good, dark comedy thriller that keeps you guessing.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has just arrived on Netflix here. I haven't read the book (s?), it is as whacky as HHGG but a good deal darker. Strange to see 'Toby' from The West Wing and 'Frodo Baggins' in really different roles.
    I've only watched the first episode of this, so I'm holding judgement, but it doesn't seem to be sitting right with me. They're very difficult books to adapt IMO (as is HHGTTG), and I miss the narrator's commentary - which is the best bit of Douglas Adams' style. (Didn't really rate the BBC series, despite being a fan of Stephen Manghan).

I'll stick with it though.

It's a long time since I read the Dirk Gently books. but this is very much "inspired by" rather than an adaptation.

Craftsman
    Westworld
    The Night Manager

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Deep Water

Its an Australian Mini-Series, Crime Drama, only four episodes, but worthy of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    The Blacklist is back.
    And then seems to have ended rather abruptly with no indication of when it will be back. What is it with these damned mid-season breaks? Designated Survivor is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It's a long time since I read the Dirk Gently books. but this is very much "inspired by" rather than an adaptation.
    Same here tbh. Doing a quick google, the novels are pretty much unfilmable!

It's DA's writing style that I miss. With HH, The Guide could be the narrator in the background, whereas they've decided to do away with one in this series.

I am in the process of binge-watching "The Last Ship" - another absolutely awesome series:

Warships, pandemic, huge action, great characters, mega-budget, submarines, great scripts and acting.

Perfect viewing.

I'm now on Series 3...
    So clever my foot fell off.

^ That looks right up my street, thanks.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ That looks right up my street, thanks.
    I guarantee you'll love it. Let me know how you get on and what you think.

Will do, what service is it on? Had a quick browse on the usual places, Hulu is what's coming back.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Will do, what service is it on? Had a quick browse on the usual places, Hulu is what's coming back.
    It's available on Amazon - but costs. Also Youtube, with costs. It wasn't free for me.

Worth every penny though.

You can find it lower res on Youtube if you just want to try it.

Cheers, Kodi it is then 😀
    Cheers..
    Jase