closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 108 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

it's ever so old now and I think finished its fourth and last season but ran out of things SWMBO can watch as well as me.... so started on the Good Wife,

it's not heavy and a bit case of the week but hey...... Juliana Margulies has worn very very well and looks gorgeous but the Asian investigator she's partnered with is also super hot so everybody wins...

Craftsman
    I have just started watching Power.

Anyone else further in to this series? So far its looking good.

Master
    I am up to date with Power, a show that actually gets better as it goes along. Not amazing but well worth a look in my view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I am up to date with Power, a show that actually gets better as it goes along. Not amazing but well worth a look in my view

Thanks, I will stick with it.
    Figured it is one of those shows that will keep me entertained until 24 / Prison Break / Game of Thrones come out.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I have just started watching Power.

Anyone else further in to this series? So far its looking good.

Me too, worth sticking it out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Wiki says second season about to start "A 13-episode second season will premiere on February 1, 2017."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
    After reading the books I'm afraid the series is pretty poor with half the detail and story line trashed (so often the case when turning a book into a film). I really struggled with 3 or 4 episodes and then just had to give in. My advice is ditch watching the TV series and read the books instead.
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 30th January 2017 at 09:03. Reason: spelling

Master
    Just a note that Black Sails is back for it's 4th and final season, currently on Amazon Prime.
    Vikings is just finishing it's 4th season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    House of Cards?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I assume you mean the original 1990s version with Ian Richardson. Superb.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    After reading the books I'm afraid the series is pretty poor with have the detail and story line trashed (so often the case when turning a book into a film). I really struggled with 3 or 4 episodes and then just had to give in. My advice is ditch watching the TV series and read the books instead.
    I also tried The Expanse, but could not get into it. On paper its right up my street.

"Prison Break" - Season 5 coming in April:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I also tried The Expanse, but could not get into it. On paper its right up my street.
    Its good after episode 3 , some of it is pretty fantastic . Close quarter battles in a starship was pretty intense. Its worth sticking with.

Also Black Sails.

Season 1 is a bit boring , what you want from a pirate series is full on ship action. The VFX on the ship shots is pretty amazing for a TV show ( its entirely cgi and it looks amazing courtesy of Digital Domain).

Season 2 is great after that they hit their stride and start delivering on the actual piratey action. Looks better than Pirates of the Carribean.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Any of you guys started watching, Taboo yet? If so, how does it compare to Peaky Blinders, and Boardwalk Empire? Curious as to know due to them all being period set around Prohibition.
    Yep I like Taboo a lot. Pretty near the knuckle for a bbc production could be from HBO ...pretty convincing in terms of setting. A bit dirty though.

Looking forward to 'Iron Fist' on Netflix soon. Been watching 'Santa Clarita Diet' recently and we really like it. Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant (with an appearance by Nathan Fillion) in totally different roles to what they are usually in, if you liked 'iZombie' but thought it may have been a bit 'Teen to twenties', this is certainly aimed at your '25-50' crowd. A bit of 'Effing and Jeffing' so not for the kids!

I've heard on the grapevine that a second season of 'Luke Cage' has been commissioned and also that an amalgamated series is going to appear before it featuring Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, the Punisher and Iron Fist!

Quarry

8 episodes, Sky Atlantic

Currently watching the second season of Fortitude, and its shaping up to be as good, if not better, than the fist season.

It has a stellar cast too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    I've heard on the grapevine that a second season of 'Luke Cage' has been commissioned and also that an amalgamated series is going to appear before it featuring Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, the Punisher and Iron Fist!
    There is, and it's called The Defenders

Anybody got any comments on black mirror, looking for something to watch and this was recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Anybody got any comments on black mirror, looking for something to watch and this was recommended.
    Fantastic! Oriiginal, expertly written and brilliantly done. Each episode a look at a dystopian near-future, based on our world of today - reality TV, obsession with Facebook 'likes', video games, etc., which leaves you feeling a little uneasy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Give yourself some time after each episode to go weep in a corner and reflect on the depressing state the show leaves you in. It is good, but saying the show is bleak is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Fantastic! Oriiginal, expertly written and brilliantly done. Each episode a look at a dystopian near-future, based on our world of today - reality TV, obsession with Facebook 'likes', video games, etc., which leaves you feeling a little uneasy at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Give yourself some time after each episode to go weep in a corner and reflect on the depressing state the show leaves you in. It is good, but saying the show is bleak is an understatement.
    Just watched the first episode with the kids and it had us laughing in places and bewildered for the most. Sort of enjoyed the uneasiness in a perverted sort of way, might watch the next tonight.

Ive just finished watching the pilot episode of Taboo, and its certainly dark, and has me looking forward to watching more.

The new season of Homeland is superb, could be the best one yet.

Journeyman
    The Night Of.... just finished watching this...unreal!!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    Looking forward to 'Iron Fist' on Netflix soon. Been watching 'Santa Clarita Diet' recently and we really like it.

Just watched the Iron Fist trailer, and it looks very promising. Not usually a fan of most Marvel stuff.

Also just started Santa Clara Diet too, which is certainly entertaining

Taboo is a loathsome Tom Hardy vanity project, which largely consists of him walking through dingy 18th century streets over and over again. The plot is as murky and depressing as the lighting, the script is pretentious in the extreme, the amazing cast is horribly wasted. Pure, undiluted, self-indulgent twaddle. Avoid. Or watch just to see what everyone's on about.

Craftsman
    It's complete fluff that requires some suspension of disbelief but Schitt's Creek on Netflix was a very enjoyable throwaway sitcom. Fish out of water/rich to poor transition but it develops well and has some great comedy performances. Written by and starring Eugene Levy (American Pie Dad) and his son.

Dirk Gently on Netflix (allegedly based on the Douglas Adams books) is worth a binge-watch. I wasn't sure after episode 1 but it grew on me .

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Taboo is a loathsome Tom Hardy vanity project, which largely consists of him walking through dingy 18th century streets over and over again. The plot is as murky and depressing as the lighting, the script is pretentious in the extreme, the amazing cast is horribly wasted. Pure, undiluted, self-indulgent twaddle. Avoid. Or watch just to see what everyone's on about.
    Just for you Corp'
    http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/02/15/...unt-taboo-far/
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Thought I was the only one, glad I am not and I agree with everything you have said! Horrible show!

We've just watched the first episode of Legion. I don't normally like superhero stuff, but this seems a bit more quirky and complex - bit like Jessica Jones.
    It definitely shows promise.

Master
    The Keel Hauling on Black Sails most recent episode was an extremely gut wrenching thing to behold. Not just because of the gore but because of what it means about the person(s) that did it . I doubt I could ever watch that scene again especially because of the emotions of the key characters watching who were told they were going to be next.

Not something to watch if you have a weak constitution ( or are even a remotely normal human being) but I have to say this series has improved hugely in all areas after the first few episodes. Stick with it, the series delivers quite rapidly even if the first series is a little weak. The VFX on the ship warfare is quite amazing after a few mis starts on the earler episodes.

Definitely check it out if you like boats and pirates but its not for kids.

Master
    Thought I was the only one, glad I am not and I agree with everything you have said! Horrible show!

I quite like Taboo despite all the flashback nonsense and earthiness.

- - - Updated - - -

I quite like Taboo despite all the flashback nonsense and earthiness.

Master
    I have watched most of the first season of Black Sails and have struggled to get into it. Badly acted and odd story line. Wish I did like it as on paper it's my cup of tea!

Just nailed the box set of Fortitude season 2. Fantastic, better than the first season and that was fantastic.

Apprentice
    Just picked up this thread and not read all posts so sorry if I'm repeating others but.... sons of anarchy and suits are well worth watching.

Craftsman

Vikings

I'm a real hard one to please when it comes to a TV series, but I am absolutely transfixed by the History Channel's Vikings.

John Oliver's "last week tonight" has started its fourth season last week. Also "Six" (fictional seal team 6) seems to be ok

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Just nailed the box set of Fortitude season 2. Fantastic, better than the first season and that was fantastic.
    I'm currently up to episode 4, need to wait until next week now, how did you get the boxset when its still airing and final episode is scheduled for 30th of March?

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    We've just watched the first episode of Legion. I don't normally like superhero stuff, but this seems a bit more quirky and complex - bit like Jessica Jones.
    It definitely shows promise.
    It sure does, just watched episode one, and can't wait to watch the next episode.

Craftsman
    The buereu

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm currently up to episode 4, need to wait until next week now, how did you get the boxset when its still airing and final episode is scheduled for 30th of March?

I've got sky go and it came up as one of the box sets on there. (I travel a lot so the ability to download walking dead and other things I enjoy and watch them on flights etc is worth the extra £5 a month).

Blog Entries
    Just started watching Legion on Fox. So far so good.

Journeyman
    Not sure if it has been mentioned previously over the dozen or so pages but there was a Norwegian series called Occupied on sky arts of all channels last year. It was based on the premise that in the near future Norway has become the main supplier of oil to Europe due to the end of the desert states supply so Russia invades peacefully and try's to force Norway to restart oil production instead of clean renewable energy. It's a cross between 24, house of cards and homeland. A lot of it is in English anyway s Norwegian s can speak it better than us. Highly recommended and I think a second series is on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by MelbournSimon View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned previously over the dozen or so pages but there was a Norwegian series called Occupied on sky arts of all channels last year. It was based on the premise that in the near future Norway has become the main supplier of oil to Europe due to the end of the desert states supply so Russia invades peacefully and try's to force Norway to restart oil production instead of clean renewable energy. It's a cross between 24, house of cards and homeland. A lot of it is in English anyway s Norwegian s can speak it better than us. Highly recommended and I think a second series is on the cards.
    That actually sounds really good. Real, thought-experiment based sci-fi for once. More in the vein of Fahrenheit 451, not incorrectly classified fantasy like most of the stuff on TV. It's on Netflix too. Added to my list, will watch it as soon as I finish Narcos season 2 which I just started.

While I'm here I'll mention that I'm slogging my way through Luke Cage but not really enjoying it at all, so have relegated it to background watching while I'm doing something else. I want to finish the series, but don't really care anymore. I find it strange how bad it is, because Jessica Jones and Daredevil were both excellent. It seems to be just a string of superhero and blacksploitation cliches strung together with below average acting from nearly every cast member. Even Mahershala Ali (Cottonmouth) who shows some range when contrasted against his role in House of Cards, is still rather ham-fisted and two dimensional. Although I suspect the script is responsible for a lot of it. There's a limit on how much an actor can polish a turd.

A couple more that have probably been mentioned already: I watched the first seasons of Extant (on Amazon) and The Expanse (on Netflix). Couldn't be more different. Extant starts with an interesting couple of ideas, goes nowhere with them and gradually devolves into the usual sci-fi cliches and episode-driven plot (instead of the other way around). It has no redeeming features. Avoid. I'll probably watch s2 though because I hear it gets slightly better, by being almost entirely unrelated to s1 and deliberately less serious. Hopefully it starts making fun of its own tropes. I'm not expecting another Stargate SG1, but I get a bit obsessive about finishing things. I'd rather I hadn't started.

The Expanse deserves a mention. Anyone who likes sci-fi should watch this. It's only one season in, so hard to know if it will maintain its momentum, but so far it's shaping up to be the sci-fi Game of Thrones. S1 is among the best TV sci-fi I've seen. I'd say it's very similar to the mid-run Battlestar Galactica both in tone and complexity. Stylistically it takes a lot of inspiration from films like Outland, Total Recall and Bladerunner. It's very dense though, you really have to pay attention to what's going on. It's more of a slow-burning noir thriller than an explosions-all-the-time action series (although there's some of that too). I'll definitely be re-watching S1 before S2 comes out to make sure I didn't miss too much.

Journeyman
    Goliath on Amazon is very good. Billy Bob Thornton is excellent as always.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mhocking View Post

Agreed, second series granted too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mhocking View Post

Agreed, Goliath was extremely good, and all the performances were top notch

Homeland is really hotting up now, no spoilers though, I think those watching it will realise whats going on, and whats to come, its all very well executed, with great writing.

Master
    Homeland is really hotting up now, no spoilers though, I think those watching it will realise whats going on, and whats to come, its all very well executed, with great writing.
    Just decided to start Season 5 at the weekend having given it a miss because Season 4 lost it's way got far too complex and political. Season 5 I'm 6 episodes in and it's much more "24" style. Really enjoying it, will have Season 5 finished by the end of the week and get started on Season 6.

Perhaps not as racy as some, but currently up to session 3 of Modern Family and the whole family is enjoying it. Worth watching just for Sofía Vergara

Very tasty
    Last edited by Andyg; 20th February 2017 at 18:30.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Perhaps not as racy as some, but currently up to session 3 of Modern Family and the whole family is enjoying it. Worth watching just for Sofía Vergara

Very tasty
    Love that show, and yes she is very watchable.
    Cheers..
    Jase