closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 108 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Just finished the season of Riviera, highly recommended. Without giving any spoilers, I wish the ending was more revealing about the data drive and key, I mean, what the hell was on there? Season 2 possible?
    We've been enjoying Riviera. It's very much like Billions and Big Little Lies - expensive, glossy bollocks, but entertaining!

Cardinal is very good. Especially if you like Scando-noir.

Master
    I've been watching The Night Of on demand. It's outstanding. Really enjoying it

Not a series, but: Tracey Breaks the News.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Handmaid's Tale - harrowing but utterly brilliant

C4 Sunday evening (plus catchup as now on 6/10)

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale - harrowing but utterly brilliant

C4 Sunday evening (plus catchup as now on 6/10)
    Gah! The first episode has dropped off catch up. Is this easy to get into from ep2 without missing a lot?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Gah! The first episode has dropped off catch up. Is this easy to get into from ep2 without missing a lot?

I think it worth a go - read a synopsis of the book - the first episode includes the central character's - June/offred's -
    background (normal life with husband and child), the strange dystopian world she now in (authoritarian world with dissenters brutally treated or killed) and her circumstances (being used by the state for breeding). The story unfolds with flashbacks. This may sound grim, but it's gripping!

I think it worth a go - read a synopsis of the book - the first episode includes the central character's - June/offred's -
    background (normal life with husband and child), the strange dystopian world she now in (authoritarian world with dissenters brutally treated or killed) and her circumstances (being used by the state for breeding). The story unfolds with flashbacks. This may sound grim, but it's gripping!
    I ended up watching ep2 anyway as it only had 24 hours left (yesterday, so is probably gone now as well). There was a brief synopsis of ep1 at the start, although it does sound seem like I've missed a lot of important exposition.

I haven't read the book, but I know the gist of it. I seem to remember the movie being fairly slow, a bit boring and grim largely for its own sake. The series doesn't seem a lot better so far tbh.

The ending of ep2 has got me interested enough to keep watching though, particularly as I keep hearing how good it is. I'm not 100% convinced though. I think a lot of these dystopian stories tend to miss the mark. They get caught up in creepy vibes and good people vs evil people, but fail to recognise the very real aspects of human nature that allowed for example, the rise of nazism in Germany after the first world war. The Man in the High Castle managed to capture certain aspects of that quite well, but ultimately ended up a bit too trope-laden.

Master
    Came across Cardinal on player the other day and have now watched 3 episodes - pretty dark and very Scandi-esque (even though it is set in Canada).

Worth a watch, though think the first episode may no longer be on iplayer.

Journeyman
    I just watched the first and only series of American Gods. IMDB rates it at 8.4/10, I'd say more like 7.5. I thought it was really very good but there where too many really obscure, trippy parts in it. If it wasNt for the length of the weird parts (which appeared in every episode) it might just have got a 8.5.

Andy.

Craftsman
    I found American Gods very uneven, but there is something very captivating about it. I went into the series after rereading the book so I am bit biased (huge Gaiman, Ian McShane and Fuller fan ), but I also found myself often irritated by the lead actor, just not up to the job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I ended up watching ep2 anyway as it only had 24 hours left (yesterday, so is probably gone now as well). There was a brief synopsis of ep1 at the start, although it does sound seem like I've missed a lot of important exposition.

I haven't read the book, but I know the gist of it. I seem to remember the movie being fairly slow, a bit boring and grim largely for its own sake. The series doesn't seem a lot better so far tbh.

The ending of ep2 has got me interested enough to keep watching though, particularly as I keep hearing how good it is. I'm not 100% convinced though. I think a lot of these dystopian stories tend to miss the mark. They get caught up in creepy vibes and good people vs evil people, but fail to recognise the very real aspects of human nature that allowed for example, the rise of nazism in Germany after the first world war. The Man in the High Castle managed to capture certain aspects of that quite well, but ultimately ended up a bit too trope-laden.
    I haven't seen The Man in the High Castle but will look out for it

ATB

Jon

Legion. If you like the concept of the X Men you'll love Legion. Not for the easily scared!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I haven't seen The Man in the High Castle but will look out for it
    It's free on Amazon Instant if you have Prime.

Master
    Blood Drive.

Insanely violent , sexual and stupid.
    But very very funny and enjoyable.

Not for the faint of heart though.

Master
    Blood drive sounds like my cup o tea! Where is it available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Blood drive sounds like my cup o tea! Where is it available?
    Same.

Looks like it's a SyFy original, which means it might turn up on Netflix on a 1 year lag like The Expanse.

It's coming to SyFy in the UK on Thursday August 10th at 10pm, looking forward to it here too :)

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I could not get into the man in the high castle , tried but it didn't get under my skin

Craftsman
    Thats because it was bloody stupid :)

Master
    I really wanted to like man in the high castle also and have tried a couple of times. I couldn't get on with it either which is a shame as the idea is quite an interesting one

Journeyman
    Fargo worth a watch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you have a 4K TV, Amazon Prime's series on Le Mans is worth a watch.

Just finished watching Big little lies. A bit slow to begin but we ended up really enjoying it

Watching GLOW. Produced (but not written) by Jenji Kohan, and similar in tone to Weeds and Orange Is The New Black. Only seen the first few episodes, so not 100% yet - I sometimes think that when American series go out to be a bit edgy/controversial, they end up being crude without being particularly funny (compared with e.g. The Inbetweeners, which is crude and very funny). Probably a bit of a US/UK thing - comedy doesn't travel particularly well IMO.

Also, I though the recent series of OITNB was pretty poor. The storyline was self-undulgent, and I thinhk the series is maybe running out of steam.

White Gold - by Damon Beesley of The Inbetweeners - is pretty good. Joe Thomas and James Buckley playing to type, but pretty funny.

Just finished Man in the High Castle.

Started off well but the final few episodes were a real let down.

I thought that was the lot but Amazon have announced they are making a third series.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Watched Midnight Sun (now TV/ Sky Atlantic) - very enjoyable Swedish / French police drama. 8 episodes I think. Worth a look.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but "falling water" on Amazon Prime has started well.

Well GoT is back!!! Nice season opener. I was worried they'd be cramming everything into the 'only' 7 episodes, but I don't think they will. You can tell things are all aligning, so in terms of pure story I don't think there is that much to tell. Therefore I do think they have time to pace and build the story up nicely.

I'm also halfway through season 1 of Billions - I rather like it! Need to concentrate a bit though.....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Well GoT is back!!! Nice season opener. I was worried they'd be cramming everything into the 'only' 7 episodes
    I was expecting entirely the opposite. Split the last season into two halves, sell twice as many box sets. I can't watch it on TV so am somewhat sensitive to this point.

I was expecting entirely the opposite. Split the last season into two halves, sell twice as many box sets. I can't watch it on TV so am somewhat sensitive to this point.
    Apparently all the episodes are longer, with one at least clocking in at 90 mins. It maybe the case the total air time is not too far off a 10 episode season.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Apparently all the episodes are longer, with one at least clocking in at 90 mins. It maybe the case the total air time is not too far off a 10 episode season.
    Ah, that maybe isn't so bad then.

Master
    Dr Who...?

Blacklist bucked up towards the end of the season and has been renewed for another season.

Just watching the US version of The Killing which seems fairly good over the first three episodes. I reckon Joel Kinnaman must have had a ball with his role.

Anyone trying Ozark on Netflix? I'm two episodes in and it's shaping up well.

Ha, just watched the first two episodes as well. Shaping up very nicely indeed!

Master
    Two episodes done here too! Think I'll be sticking with it

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Just opened this thread to mention Ozark, but see that a few are onto this already. Really like it. Has a little bit of Justified about it.

Anyone still watching The Leftovers? The final series is shaping up very well IMO. I'm not expecting a clear resolution, and I'm sure anyone who is will not be happy, but it's certainly a bit different. Pretty damned dark.

Nope, might give it a go next. Started watching Shooter. Now wish I hadn't. One of the few series' I've had to bail out and thumbs-down after two episodes. I wanted to after the first, but I thought I'd give it a chance to turn things around. It did not.

Fans of contrived garbage like the Da Vinci Code might like it though, which is probably why it has such an undeservedly high average rating on IMDB. The cast is quite good, but the writing is awful.

I didn't know about the books or previous film beforehand either. Apparently the books have a bit of a cult following. It is not like the books. It's more like if a studio comittee changed Jason Bourne into Pierce Brosnan's version of James Bond.

Master
    Preacher season2 is shaping up much better than season1 and seems to be tracking back to the original graphic novel,

Meh. Just finished watching it and, on balance given the new binary ratings system, have given it a thumbs down. Won't be bothering with season 2 if they make one. The premise was OK and I wanted to like it, but the writing, acting and production were all decidedly 3rd rate. Breaking Bad it is not.

After about halfway I just started putting it on in the background to get the series finished. It was just good enough I didn't want to abandon it halfway through. Overall though, a waste of time.

In terms of overall quality, reminded me of Under the Dome more than anything else. Lots of 2-dimensional characters making irrational decisions just to advance an increasingly implausible plot.

Distraught! Season 5 of Person of Interest isn't on Netflix!!!

I've binge watched the f*@k out of that show for weeks now and I have no idea when I'll get to find out how it all plays out!!!

The third season of Fargo has been fantastic, with just one more episode to go. That's three excellent seasons IMO. (In the context of the other "best TV" threads, I think it's proved itself to be up there with the best of them - 1>3>2 is my preference).

Master
    Agree with Fargo, as the other seasons it has been superb!

Journeyman
    I downloaded showbox on my Samsung Galaxy tablet, it's free and has tons of movies and TV shows. Its great for traveling and just to grab and watch on the go.
    I've been watching Animal Kingdom on it, it's tacky, but I like it. It's very loosely based on a true story, but changed to modern Los Angeles.
    There is a way to connect the tablet to a smart tv, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Ozark is really good: More Breaking Bad than Justified, perhaps, but none the worse for that.

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Ozark is really good: More Breaking Bad than Justified, perhaps, but none the worse for that.
    Well I'm enjoying it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post

+1 for Ozark its great

I'm watching Dark Matter at the moment - a really clever sci fi premise and great writing and production values once again.

Any good New TV Series worth watching

I'm at episode 3 of "I know who you are" and it's been rather good so far.
    Last edited by o u t a t i m e; 29th July 2017 at 19:11.