closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry January

Journeyman

Dry January

Anyone else 10 days in to an intentionally dry month?

Journeyman
    Must say that even after a very boozy December I'm not really feeling any different but at the same time it's only been 10 days!

Haven't been tempted to have a tipple l, even out at dinner last night with friends!

Master
    I'm 10 days in and chomping at the bit! This Friday and Saturday were the killers.Roll on Feb.

Master
    I am doing it as well and I feel fine doing it though when I am cooking I miss a cold glass of Leffe Belgium beer :) but I will easily do it.

Grand Master
    I am, so far I have tried Dry Gin and Dry White wine
    RIAC

Master
    Not intentionally doing a dry January but that's the way it's gone so far.

Master
    To hell with that.

Journeyman
    sounds like to much hard work for me

Dry gin? Yes.

I learned on BBC News 24 today that every time you have a Dry January a barmaid dies.

Craftsman
    Giving it a go, managed two weeks last year. Weekends are not the same without a glass or two of wine.

Master
    Trying hard to abstain but the dry gin is sounding tasty (and guilt free) right now! :-)

Master
    Managed to stick to it thus far and although it is not difficult I do miss it.

In response to another thread and by coincidence as drove past it, we called into a non alcoholic drinks shop and bought some red wine and beer. Had the wine last night and have to say it was OK put pointless as removing the alcohol from the merlot just made it lack the death of wine, won't be bothering with that again.

I'll try a non alcoholic wheat beer tonight and see if that's any better?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    I'm 10 days in and chomping at the bit! This Friday and Saturday were the killers.Roll on Feb.
    Plus 1 for this, good job its not BBQ weather, that would be rock hard!
    Congrats to all who are 10 days in.
    Steve

Yes no booze yet in 2016. Will all change on 24th when I'm off for a 4 day lads skiing break.

Master
    I'm also doing Dry Jan this year. Done it once previously.

I'll fail anyway - a good friend is getting married early Feb and we're all off out to celebrate on the 23rd Jan. So it'll be 'nearly dry' for me.

I missed wine a little Friday and Saturday evenings. But it's no hardship tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I am, so far I have tried Dry Gin and Dry White wine
    This works for me too.

Yes, I thought I'd find it much harder than I am. So far, so good.
    Last edited by RickChard; 11th January 2016 at 00:47.

Found it genuinely difficult when at a comedy gig as early as the 4th! Even ordered a beer but immediately told the batman I'd changed my mind. Since then it's been easy - including an entire night spent with the lads in the pub on Friday.

It worried me that I initially found it so hard so I'm ultra determined to do the whole month.

Well done all who've managed it. Are you all raising money for Dryathlon or just doing it for yourself?

Blog Entries
    I had a pass yesterday - you're allowed one freebie I think? Other than that I will be dry for January

Did it last Jan and managed October too

Feel healthier, sleep better, have lots more energy, seem to play better football and lose a pound or too!

You're allowed to still use wine etc in cooking/food though aren't you?

Tonight's stifado would have been horrid if the beef hadn't marinaded in red wine.

And my pre-dinner olives would have been unbearable if each had not been floating in a gin and vermouth jus :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    14 days in to a dry 2016!
    Getting g a bit grumpy sometimes but also have a dry November as practice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    14 days in to a dry 2016!
    Getting g a bit grumpy sometimes but also have a dry November as practice.
    I'm 10 days in and doing ok for now. We seem to have different calendars though.. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiginuk View Post
    I'm 10 days in and doing ok for now. We seem to have different calendars though.. :)
    Last drink was on the 27th, needed a very clear head for work around new year so thought I would stop early.

Journeyman
    Just found out I need to go to Amsterdam for an overnight works trip on the 25th....... Uh oh!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    not really trying, or paying much attention to it, but I have not had a drink since new years eve, and probably wont this month

Craftsman
    I haven't had a drink yet this year either, though I'm not sure if I'll be bothered to do the whole month. I'm taking advantage of the lack on weekend hangover and lethargy to go through the huge DIY list that has been building up over the previous years. So far it has been a success.

The last time I did it (and I think the last time I went a week without a beer) was 10 years ago and I didn't feel any different until about 3 weeks in. This year however I'm feeling better straight away, I guess because I'm 10 years older. Hopefully I'll lose some weight too at the same time.

Well done to everyone that's stuck at it. Keep it up, only 3 more painful weekends to go.

I never usually drink in January, have been this way for years. No charity thing or anything just like to do that by choice. Also lay off bread for a month.

Haven't done either this year - bread just forgot and alcohol decided I wanted to have some anyway after a stressful house move saga

Dry so far and not missing it.

Just wish I could avoid all the chocolate and cake left after Christmas too.

Having a semi-dry January (or 'dryish').

I did a full Dryathlon for Cancer Research a couple of years ago, but feel to keep doing it for charity is exploiting friends, family and colleagues a bit.

So, I'm steering clear of alcohol most of the time, although I treat myself to a bottle of Weissbier with a pizza once a week and I'm attending a business dinner (with a pub chain client!) tonight, so I suspect I'll be drinking today.

To be honest, I'm not a heavy drinker, I don't recall the last noticeable hangover I had and weeks can pass normally without me having a drink.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th January 2016 at 13:15.

Master
    i drink so little that its not really something i bother with,

i have maybe 4 or 5 bottles of beer a month barring some work event, i suffer so badly with hangovers that much more isnt worth it

Craftsman
    Well i did manage 12 days. I had such a bad day at work i just cracked open a bottle of old speckled hen, I am so disappointed with myself.

Oh well i am only having 1 then i am back on the wagon

Master
    Absolutely chucking it down here

Grand Master
    Can someone give me ONE good reason for embarking on a month of self-denial by abstaining from alcohol?

Sounds like an act of masochism, with the dubious reward of feeling smug and self-righteous at the end of it.

I'm not knocking anyone who decides to stop drinking completely.......but why do it for one month in January?

On that philosophical note, I'll now pour myself a whisky..........and enjoy it

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I learned on BBC News 24 today that every time you have a Dry January a barmaid dies.
    And a pub closes...

January is always a quiet month so you should be supporting your local publican by drinking a little bit more to make up for it!

Everything in moderation, including moderation itself.

If a dry month is your thing, then that is fine.
    If you fancy the odd beer/glass of wine, then that is fine too.

Life is too short to go without the small and simple things that give us pleasure.

Wouldn't work with my new year's resolutions; eat more, drink more, and smoke more. Doing good so far.

Moderation is great (in moderation, agreed), but the one thing people who have a problem with alcohol cannot do is moderate their drinking. I've had this discussion with a friend of mine who regularly gives up booze completely, then goes back to binge drinking. He says cutting down doesn't work at all, but cutting it out is possible. For him, once he's had a drink, that's it: it's full steam ahead for the rest of the night. The little signal inside us that says it's probably not a good idea to have another pint is not present for him, or doesn't work.

If that's the case then things like 'dry January' make a lot of sense. If you already drink moderately then a couple of days off a week to let your liver catch up is probably more appropriate.

Master
    I've only done Dry Jan once before - 2014 and found it easy enough.

I'm a big wine fan - and weekend consumption of it is my downfall.

For me, this year's Dry Jan is about cutting out alcohol after high levels of consumption over the Christmas period.

I'm never going to give it up completely. The odd month off, here and there, if I feel I want to do it is fine. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone (other than my liver).

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can someone give me ONE good reason for embarking on a month of self-denial by abstaining from alcohol?

Paul
    1. Lose weight

2. Lower blood pressure

3. Save money

:)

Day 13 and I'm finding the hardest bit is not buying drink when in the supermarket. It's not too bad at home with none in the house as I find other distractions.

One nice side effect I've noticed is more vivid and better remembered dreams.

Craftsman
    3rd year in a row now.

This time is particularly challenging for some reason; probably the stack of whisky bought pre Christmas.

Thankfully my birthday is the start of February, so it feels achievable ..... almost

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    One nice side effect I've noticed is more vivid and better remembered dreams.
    And better sleep!

Master
    I'm syncing with the weather and so far I'm having quite a good month.

If you drink so much that a dry month is either difficult or offers health benefits above your normal consumption, it's probably time to have a look at yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I drink, often a lot, but the only time it would ever be hard would be at social events or corporate dinners.

I'm still on holiday in Aus, so NO
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

This landlord has the right idea

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Fortunately I haven't lost my marbles....so no.

Master
    I've only had two drinks this month so not conciously bothering to avoid booze or not.
    Totally off the beer though but thats more about shifting the xmas gut (4 kilos I put on...)

Now that we're past the halfway point I've started to think what my 1st drink will be when the drought ends.