closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Engraving sacrilegious or the height of cool?

Journeyman

Engraving sacrilegious or the height of cool?

Hi, I am new around here, having watched (no pun intended) from afar I thought it would be good to take the plunge and become a member, this is my first post so be gentle with me.

I recently discovered a Facebook page showing customised engraving for watches, the "artist" who carries out the engraving normally works on things like fine engraving for shotguns.

I have attached a couple of images from the website out of interest, what does everyone think, is it sacrilegious to carve chunks out of a brand new AP, Cartier or Rolex, or would you wear one to display some individuality in a time where luxury watches seem to be common place.

Oh and sorry for the engravers name on the photo, I don't have any software capable of editing it out, I also have no connection or affiliation to the company as they are based in the USA and I live in Scotland

Journeyman

Couple more pictures

I have attached a couple more pictures

Welcome, it's a fun forum but you need a thick skin at times!!

TBH I like engraving, really makes your watch stand out, I wouldn't want every watch to be engraved but maybe one to wear when I feel like it..

I think there's a difference between just having a name or a few words engraved on the back, like a graduation watch, and turning it into a completely altered custom piece.

The former is fine, though it hurts the value of the watch if you ever want to sell it (who wants to wear a watch that says 'To Myra Binglebat, with all my love, Candy'?)

The 'total engraving' doesn't appeal to me: I put it in the same category as firms like Bamford which modify your watch, usually into something rather tasteless and blingy. If you like it, though, by all means have it done, though be aware that really good quality engraving is very, very expensive.

I like engraving as well. The quality looks very good in your pictures - do you have a link?

Although the designs are very subjective there is a long and very honourable tradition of engraving timepieces - it seems to have died out a bit for some reason.

Magrette watches in New Zealand and JS Watch Co in Iceland do some very good tribal/ethnic engravings on their watches. The Magrette ones are Maori tribal art the JS ones look like something straight out of the Viking era even supposed to have Volcanic ash on the dial.

Master
    I absolutely love some of these engraved watches. So much so that I plan to have one of my Panerai done. The work in the original post looks top class, do you have any details of the company who did it?

Edit, I've just seen the inscription Kindler & Thorpe. I've been on their website previously and it seems that, for some reason, they only work on new watches.
    Last edited by stefaulkner; 11th January 2016 at 19:38.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I absolutely love some of these engraved watches. So much so that I plan to have one of my Panerai done. The work in the original post looks top class, do you have any details of the company who did it?

Edit, I've just seen the inscription Kindler & Thorpe. I've been on their website previously and it seems that, for some reason, they only work on new watches.
    These particular designs were done by this artist http://www.artemiswilddesign.co.uk on behalf of Kindler & Thorpe. I think you are right that they only work on new watches for some reason, it seems a shame as I don't think a well kept pre worn time piece would affect the quality of the engraving too badly

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone 😃

Craftsman
    Those engravings are stunning

Not sure I could do it to a 5k+ watch though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    These particular designs were done by this artist http://www.artemiswilddesign.co.uk on behalf of Kindler & Thorpe. I think you are right that they only work on new watches for some reason, it seems a shame as I don't think a well kept pre worn time piece would affect the quality of the engraving too badly

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone 

Just saw your link and have sent her an email. Providing the costs aren't too prohibitive I think I might put my PAM90 in for a little customisation.

Journeyman
    Just saw your link and have sent her an email. Providing the costs aren't too prohibitive I think I might put my PAM90 in for a little customisation.
    Awesome, let me know how you get on, I would love to see some pictures 😎

Apprentice
    I think the back is nice, but maybe it's gone a bit overboard.

Master
    Awesome, let me know how you get on, I would love to see some pictures 
    Well, progress so far = none. My email to her went unanswered so I contacted her through her Facebook page thinking that my email perhaps ended up in her junk folder. She simply replied that she didn't want to take on any private commissions. Shame really because I really fancied adding some individuality to my watch.

If anybody knows of anyone else who can do such quality work, please post a link.

Steve.

I think it's a very personal thing (Interesting that someone mentioned "tribal" engraving as I think this is a bit like tattoos - Some will love them, others find them utterly repellent).

Some of the engraving work in the first posts looks exceptional.

If you're buying a high end watch to keep forever and that appeals, do it. It's your watch, the resale appeal/value is irrelevant.

I'm not sure I would go that route, but I can admire the quality of the work.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd March 2016 at 11:54.

I think on something like a JLC Reverso ( if you are rich and brave ) it works. However on something "tool watch" like a Rolex / Tudor I can't get it to work for me.

Master
    Just commissioned some engraving on this Aerowatch...

I provided these references to indicate the style of decoration I want...

...and these sketches to show locations for the engraving...

The work is scheduled to be done in June/July - will post results on completion

Craftsman
    I think that will work.
    Post pics when it's done.

Dave

Master
    I'll be eagerly awaiting the results/pics too. Where did you find the engraver, if you don't mind me asking?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Just commissioned some engraving on this Aerowatch...

I provided these references to indicate the style of decoration I want...

...and these sketches to show locations for the engraving...

The work is scheduled to be done in June/July - will post results on completion
    Any progress on completion of this as of yet?

I just bought this

I think the level of craft is amazing, even if (in this case) it is applied to a relatively modest watch.

The Octopus is very cool

So the level of work here far exceeds (in every sense) the value of the watch it is applied to.
    Although, I have corresponded with Viljo Marrandi since and the cost to repeat this now far outweighs what any owner could consider the value of such a piece.

So I guess those that do it must love it, ehich is as it should be.

I really like my engraved Corvid, and am wearing it today.

Dave

Nice. What do the runes say? Beyond my translation skills :).

wow that is so cool, id wear that with pride.

Thanks gents
    It says "these runes were written by X, and engraved by Viljo" in transliterated Icelandic, apparently the closest modern equivalent to Norse.
    Which is apparently a traditional content for runestones.
    I am modding this to insert an Aevig lume dial. I have always wanted a lume dial watch, and with a spare dial €30 direct from Aevig, it seemed too nice an opportunity to pass up.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks gents
    It says "these runes were written by X, and engraved by Viljo" in transliterated Icelandic, apparently the closest modern equivalent to Norse.
    Which is apparently a traditional content for runestones.
    I am modding this to insert an Aevig lume dial. I have always wanted a lume dial watch, and with a spare dial €30 direct from Aevig, it seemed too nice an opportunity to pass up.
    D
    Ah yes, it was the transliteration that threw me ;). Really good to see, thanks.

Journeyman
    I just bought this

I think the level of craft is amazing, even if (in this case) it is applied to a relatively modest watch.

The Octopus is very cool

So the level of work here far exceeds (in every sense) the value of the watch it is applied to.
    Although, I have corresponded with Viljo Marrandi since and the cost to repeat this now far outweighs what any owner could consider the value of such a piece.

So I guess those that do it must love it, ehich is as it should be.

I really like my engraved Corvid, and am wearing it today.

Dave
    That is bad ass Dave, nice work

Though my first response was an instinctive "NO - don't do that!" I have to admit some pieces shown do look very good

Craftsman

I quite like that.
    Unique, a subtle display of skill.
    Dave

Master
    I have my Panerai booked in with Viljo for a little customisation later this year. I'm hoping it will revitalise my love for the watch.

Master
    Any progress on completion of this as of yet?
    My place in the queue is drawing near. I'll be shipping the watch tomorrow & work should commence 'in a month or so'.

Cheers.

Some of these are awesome

My place in the queue is drawing near. I'll be shipping the watch tomorrow & work should commence 'in a month or so'.

Cheers.
    This will be great to see how the whole process works out from design through to execution. Where are you getting the work done?

While I could never bring myself to do this to a watch worth thousands (although it's all relative, isn't it? if I had loads I probably wouldn't mind) I find well executed engravings outstandingly awesome. much nicer than the pvd / diamond encrusting rubbish one usually sees

Master

Cheers.
    Work begins!

Just received this video link from Viljo showing the start of the engraving process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCZbVo4B64

Cheers

Master
    I'm not a fan but I wouldn't think of it as sacrilegious. I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing something like this to a valuable 'brand' watch, say a Rolex, as you're completely changing the look, but I could understand wanting to create a wholly new, bespoke piece from a more generic (and less valuable!) piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's looking great.

Master
    Work begins!

Just received this video link from Viljo showing the start of the engraving process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCZbVo4B64

Cheers
    Another video update ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBNH...ature=youtu.be

Completion should be sometime this week

Journeyman
    If done well and with taste, I think it looks amazing. Like one of those rifles from back in the day.

Master
    Completion should be sometime this week
    Arrived today & looking good.

First shots...

Master
    Just saw this on the Friday thread.

Wow, just wow!

Its lovely. Are you happy with the way it's turned out? Anything I should consider before my watch gets the call?

Steve.

Master
    Just saw this on the Friday thread.

Wow, just wow!

Its lovely. Are you happy with the way it's turned out? Anything I should consider before my watch gets the call?

Steve.
    Hi Steve. Yes, I’m very pleased with the results. I found Viljo easy to work with & his design skills & communication equal to the high quality of his carving. Don’t know how tight your brief is but you might want to include a recap when you send your watch.
    Have you seen the new work in his Instagram account? An Oris with carved bracelet & art deco style B&M

A few more shots of the Aerowatch...

It's a credit to you for putting your money into supporting an artist rather than a brand label. Looks tremendous.

Master
    Hi Steve. Yes, I’m very pleased with the results. I found Viljo easy to work with & his design skills & communication equal to the high quality of his carving. Don’t know how tight your brief is but you might want to include a recap when you send your watch.
    Have you seen the new work in his Instagram account? An Oris with carved bracelet & art deco style B&M

A few more shots of the Aerowatch...

Unfortunately, I haven't got an Instagram account so can't see those watches. There is nothing of them on his Facebook page either (although your watch features on there).

If if anyone can link some pics in, I'd love to see them before my watch goes away.

Steve.

Master
    Just signed up to Instagram to have a look. I love the Oris but not so keen on the Art Deco B&M.