closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My second Monster mod...

My second Monster mod...

If you read the title, you might think, I'm one of those mad scientists that can take watches apart and pull hands, design new dials and so on, but I am not. I'm merely someone with idea's and very little money...

I though look for opportunities and first I was able to find an extremely reasonable black Monster 1st generation on eBay and had some idea's what to do with it, That resulted in this:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-watch-somehow!

A couple of months ago, a guy in the Dutch forum, offered me an Orange monster, which I couldn't leave for € 85. The only problem was, he removed all the paint from the bezel, including the lume pip!

When I got it, I made an effort with paint in the bezel, that did work quite well....(apart from the pip and top)

Then someone showed his bead blasted black monster and I just drooled over it. I shot him a PM and he replied, he did it himself at his job! (car mechanic/painter) and they have a large bead blasting contraption for large parts. Then he offered me to do it for me free of charge!!! Of course, removing the bezel was something I had to do (or have done) and if I had anything else to blast, I had to make sure, I'd remove and/or tape off parts that should stay un-blasted. Of course, I had to take care of all the shipping costs obviously. I went bezerk and asked if he could do the bracelet I bought for it and even 2 mesh bracelets I used for also bead blasted watches I own and he agreed. This all was talked about beginning of december. He was supposed to have 2 weeks Christmas break and would start the first week of this year again.

Last night, he send me some pictures!

He will ship back this saturday and I expect it the beginning of next week. Then I will have to paint and clean and think about a lume pip, before the watch goes off to the watch repairman to put the bezel on with new rubber ring and spring...

I will keep you guys in the loop!
    Last edited by James T. Kirk©; 7th January 2016 at 14:11.

Craftsman
    Nice. Matt monster
    Going to leave it in metal or paint it?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Nice. Matt monster
    Going to leave it in metal or paint it?
    Dave
    I suspect you mean the bezel? As I wrote
    Then I will have to paint and clean and think about a lume pip
    He is shipping tomorrow, you know, I can't hardly wait!!
    Last edited by James T. Kirk©; 8th January 2016 at 17:03.

Blog Entries
    This is my Matt finish monster with the yobokies modded dial haven't had it long but admired the watch for a few years then had a chance of buying it , great job on your mod buddy defo needed the bezel numbers repainting

[IMG][/IMG]

That bezel repainting looks extremely professional! I hope I can get close to that!

I got my Monster back last tuesday evening late. Wednesday I started working on it.
    This bead blasting is more like a sand blasting, as it was done in a car repair shop, a ruder, cruder finish then what usually is used, and now it looks less refined then the blasts somebody is used to on these forums. Nevertheless, I like it and now my paint work is not shiny and even, I like it even more. (Somebody called it Flintstone Monster)

The bezel still needs mounting, but now you get the idea of the result. I first had a very nice orange triangle at the top, but the hit and try with glue and lume powder and then later back to clear nail polish and lume powder, destroyed that. I decided to go with a waterproof black felt writer, I think the Americanism for that is a sharpie, which I applied after making a nice round dot lume. Over the tries, I found out: less is more, At a later date I can try to put a tiny amount of black paint in the triangle around the lume, but for the time being, it looks good from a feet away, of course macro pictures show the amateur... Because the surface of the blasting, it actually looks like it fits, like a bit of a rat watch! Anyway, it's my result, my watch and I like it a lot, totally different from my black Monster!

Blog Entries
    I like the look of the case it's got a rustic iron look about it great job done

Craftsman
    Good job.
    Dave

I think rustic is a good description. My first thought was "that has been painted in grey Hammerite". Looks pretty good actually. Nice one.

Nice mod! I have a mk1 black monster bead blasted and it looks so much better than the original (to me at least). Enjoy this one, it looks awesome!

I love a bit of modding. I've got a gen 2 black monster but would like to put a gen 1 dial and handset on it as I prefer the non-pointy indices.

Last night, the bezel was fixed and now it works as it should (it was totally stuck, when I got it as used watch) The only remaining thing is, to fill the triangle on top with some black paint and I just might add a mini drop of lume mix on top of the dot, to "round it off". No hurries though, I like wearing it already as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblue View Post
    I like the look of the case it's got a rustic iron look about it great job done
    Rustic Flintstones Monster!

Cool 2 Modded Monsters

Some pictures of the 2 modded Monsters today.... How do you like them "brothers"?

They both look great !

And since you are doing all the hard work, and I only have to sit here and admire ;-)

1. How about painting the whole of the V with lume, since that's what the Monster is famous for ? It may be hard to get a good and durable finish though.
    2. I'd also think about black background on the day/date wheels for the orange one ?

Keep up the good work, Gren.

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    They both look great !

And since you are doing all the hard work, and I only have to sit here and admire ;-)

1. How about painting the whole of the V with lume, since that's what the Monster is famous for ? It may be hard to get a good and durable finish though.
    2. I'd also think about black background on the day/date wheels for the orange one ?

Keep up the good work, Gren.
    I have tried filling the whole of the triangle with lume paint, but I couldn't say it looked good. Someone suggested to fill the markers/numbers on the bezel with lume, which is actually not really hard to do, and it looks killer in the dark obviously. Only thing, it doesn't look right in day light. one should have a dark background for that!

A black day/date disk would probably be cool, cooler would be an orange one! But they don't supply them at Seiko . And I did not do all the hard work, just the paint work on the outside. It's just as with Apple: they provide the idea (designed in California) and have all the stuff made in China! I provide my watch repairman the idea and sometimes parts, and he does the "hard" work. It costs me money!
    Anyway; meanwhile I tried again with paint and a lume pip, but it came out crude: reason, I don't have good, fast drying paint (only old, extremely slow drying) and I mixed it with clear nail polish, It came out "lumpy"! I am getting better and better making lume pips though, as the trick is: very little! So it doesn't look as in the last pictures anymore, but I am still not satisfied. As soon as I am, I'll show you...