closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taylors Sandalwood...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I did the same as you TFB. Mine arrived today and I have to say it does smell good. Just put a couple of squirts on, now off to collect my lad from school. I'll report back if I get a quick knee-trembler outside the gates from some opportunistic MILF .
    Prepare yourself for the dangerous madness.

Banned
    I have ordered some after reading this thread and this post in particular "Fizzing at the bung hole".

modern day Shakespeare if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Based upon the advice of this esteemed forum I have just ordered some of that Creed stuff.

It had better be good!
    I have worn it for some years and it lasts well and gets loads of compliments. I know depends on skin type etc. but I will be surprised if you don't end up buying a bottle. I got the aftershave balm for Christmas and have to say even I thought it made my neck warmer smell nice !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I have ordered some after reading this thread and this post in particular "Fizzing at the bung hole".

modern day Shakespeare if you ask me.
    I'm not sure that's a desirable outcome , certainly not enough to make me buy anything....sounds like something out of Dr. Who.

Based upon the advice of this esteemed forum I have just ordered some of that Creed stuff. ...Actually, I ordered a small 5ml tester of it from a very established seller on ebay for a tenner.
    I too am curious about this stuff. However, I decided that the eBay sellers all looked a bit dodgy, so I emailed Creed to ask if samples are available directly (they aren't listed on their site). They just replied to say this is the official reseller:

http://www.lessenteurs.com/p/4658/Aventus-EDP-Sample

I haven't ordered yet, but it looks like it's £3 for postage, for up to 4 samples (I might check out a few others at the same time).

Tom Ford Oud Fleur is the mother of all 'get them excited' aftershaves. Sadly stupid expensive, but has a very high compliment ratio from the ladies :-)

Well, mine arrived yesterday and apparently it smells like Brut according to the missus.

I think it's ok (quite strong), although I do probably prefer my usual which is Paco Rabanne Million.

I'm going to persevere with it, because 'er indoors can be a bit fickle in these matters...

I haven't smelt any Brut for a long while but I am pretty sure Aventus smells nothing like Brut. If you think you may have got a dud sample if you want to post me a travel atomiser I will decant a bit off for you. It really is about the only scent I have worn that I have had loads of comments on even to the extent of making other people smell me so you really should get better than that...

Well, mine arrived yesterday and apparently it smells like Brut according to the missus.

I think it's ok (quite strong), although I do probably prefer my usual which is Paco Rabanne Million.

I'm going to persevere with it, because 'er indoors can be a bit fickle in these matters...
    I have the same usual which I prefer - Millions gets lots of compliments anyway. I do think the Creed one lasts much longer though

Lucky you got at tester FB that could of been one expensive bottle of Brut 33
    Two scents that "er indoors" is also partial too are " Terre D"Hermes " and "Narciso Rodriguez for Him" if anyone is looking for ideas ?

Last edited by arthurDALEY; 5th February 2016 at 08:59.

Taylors Sandalwood...

Use Taylor's shave products a lot. Lovely stuff, currently using the almond shave soap and this... It's very subtle, but "manly".

Banned
    Mine just arrived I shall try it at a gig tonight.

Thanks for the link robt. Samples ordered.

This forum is going to be the death of me: Watches, DE razors, Jeans, Red Wings, Minimal wallets.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Prepare yourself for the dangerous madness.

Master

My missus was really complimentary about it. I'll probably buy a bottle, can't see anyone wanting to stump up that sort of dollar on some smellies for me next Christmas.

Worst of all the big bottle is better value ! If your not in a rush keep an eye on John Lewis as they sometimes have 20% off although probably nearer Christmas time.

This place is bad.... ordered 4 samples to try - lets hope the missus hates them all :)

Blog Entries
    This is my no1 aftershave,soooo vintage,sooo nice,love it.

Master
    http://www.alvarezgomez.com/tienda/p..._store=default

I've had a tester of this and I must say I quite like it.
    Its inexpensive and nice and citrusy a good day scent but I doubt I'd wear it at night ( Aventus man!!!).

Anyone balking at the price of Aventus , you pick a lighter scent for the day and keeo the Aventus for going out.

( I think Aventus is okay to wear as a day scent but its a little too musky for business meetings if you ask me, its more of a evening decadent party scent even though I do love the smell).

Got my Creed sample today, it's very very nice, gave the Mrs a wiff and I think there could have been some hydration of the bung hole in the pipeline, but this soon retreated when I told her how much it was , shame really... I shall eke it out for special occasions.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Got my Creed sample today, it's very very nice, gave the Mrs a wiff and I think there could have been some hydration of the bung hole in the pipeline, but this soon retreated when I told her how much it was , shame really... I shall eke it out for special occasions.

You should send that endorsement to Creed , they might use it on their advertising literature.

Told you though , fanny magnet so it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post

This forum is going to be the death of me: Watches, DE razors, Jeans, Red Wings, Minimal wallets.....
    My samples still haven't arrived from les senteurs, even though I paid first class delivery!! I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure. I'm bitterly disappointed not only with the service, but I was looking forward to seeing some fizzing plug hole action!!!

Master
    Jason, No one likes a grass.....

Craftsman
    Put on some creed, the missus loved it and was positively fizzing at the plug hole and screaming the place down.
    Not sure if it was the creed or the Fact that I spiked her lube with Cremola foam.

Master
    fizzing bungholes are all very well but I think you should call a plumber out for any fizzing plughole nonsense.

fizzing bungholes are all very well but I think you should call a plumber out for any fizzing plughole nonsense.
    Yes i did look at those plughole quotes myself Mr D.. but each to his own i suppose !

It was like pooring lemon juice on baking soda!!!

Master
    Just FYI.

I've ordered a 120ml bottle of Aventus from this place in France : https://www.boutique-parfums.fr/

It was about the same price as you pay in the UK for the 75ml bottle. They have good reports.

I also ordered Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez on the basis of a tester I got from a shaving supplies place. Unfortunately they don't seem to ship outside mainland europe (bizarre) so I bought a 220ml bottle off Amazon and a cheap atomiser. £22. (cheap as chips but even cheaper if you can get it direct).

This I'll use as a daytime scent and keep the Aventus for evening mostly. Its a nice light citrus/bergamot scent.

Grand Master
    @ £24 it seems a good buy if it does all the things you mention.

Master
    Its nice , gets good reviews. Smells much more expensive and sophisticated than it is if you ask me.

Try a tester first if you are not sure about the citrus.

Master
    If its a fanny magnet you're after , you can't go wrong with Creed Aventus.
    I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed by Aventus. After I read about it on here, I went and tested it at John Lewis (this happened yesterday), and immediately loved it. The smell is fantastic and it seemed very strong as well. It was the first fragrance I didn't have to 'look for'. I could smell it right off my jacket, even this morning, after some 18 hours. So, today, being around Selfridges, I popped in and got myself the 120 ml one. But now, shockingly, the smell seems very 'faded', both on me (both skin and shirt), and someone else I'd tried it on. I have to 'look' for the smell, if that makes any sense. It's nothing like yesterday, when I could smell it every time I walked past my coat hanger. My only explanation is that the testers they use in shops are much stronger, to give you the impression that they are better than they actually are and make you buy their products. Otherwise, I simply can't explain myself how there is such a difference between the strength of the same fragrance, only from different bottles. This being said, I feel disappointed and even a little bit scammed.

How much do you have to use? Perhaps I'm just not using enough (I only sprayed once, both when I've tested it at JL, and now, from my own bottle). I don't like using a lot of fragrance because I don't want anyone thinking that I've accidentally dropped the bottle on me, but would be nice for others to enjoy it too.
    Last edited by asteclaru; 21st February 2016 at 23:26.

I'm not sure how it works over the medium term but in the short term, the nose's ability to distinguish and be impressed by odours starts to taper off within a few seconds. Shove your more into a glass of pungent wine and sniff and sniff and sniff. After ten seconds not only is all the impact gone, so is much of the detail.

I buy three of those Taylor's sandalwood shaving cream bowls per year. Lovely stuff. Don't use cologne since it gives me a headache.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm not sure how it works over the medium term but in the short term, the nose's ability to distinguish and be impressed by odours starts to taper off within a few seconds. Shove your more into a glass of pungent wine and sniff and sniff and sniff. After ten seconds not only is all the impact gone, so is much of the detail.
    I know what you mean, however, it is not a case of 'getting used to it, so you don't notice it anymore'.

Hope this makes it more clear : what I did was I'd sprayed someone else when I first opened the bottle when I got home tonight, to see what sort of distance you can smell it from. By the time of this happening, the smell from yesterday had pretty much worn off already, so this was fresh. I had to get really close to the other person and 'look' for it. It is definitely not as strong as the one I've tested in the shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed by Aventus.
    How much do you have to use? Perhaps I'm just not using enough (I only sprayed once, both when I've tested it at JL, and now, from my own bottle). I don't like using a lot of fragrance because I don't want anyone thinking that I've accidentally dropped the bottle on me, but would be nice for others to enjoy it too.
    I generally find that after about 20 minutes I cannot smell it on myself. However I generally still get comments from people. At one point I was wotrried I was over compensating. A compete stranger came up to me on on a film set and said that I was wearing Aventus. He said he could smell it 20 ft away , in a positive way I guess.

That was about 5 hours after I'd applied it.

I put one on the chest , one on the belly , one on the back of the neck and rub a blast between the wrists.

As for it smelling differently , some people say certain batches smell more leathery than pineapple , some people say its a crock.

I'm pretty much in the crock camp I supect its psychological.

Green Irish Tweed is pretty good too.

Master
    My aventus arrived from that place in France, all good and a massive saving. https://www.boutique-parfums.fr/
    They also threw in a couple of testers for Creed Virgin Island Water and Vetiver Geranium (hate the Virgin Island Water as I don't like coconut , the Vetiver I prefer but still not mad about)

The Agua de Colonia Concentrada arrived today as well from "the river".

Anticipating much bunghole fizzing in the near future. Fill yer boots

I'm going to order some of this tackle, just based on this thread, laughed my off

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    I'm going to order some of this tackle, just based on this thread, laughed my off
    The missus has give the verdict on the Aqua de Colonia...says it made me smell like a tart...and not in a good way.

get a tester first if you fancy it ...I still think it smells great but its not quite "le fanaye magnetique" that Aventus is .

Master
    Penhaligon anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Penhaligon anyone?
    One would imagine that, if it were a perfume, it might have been Thatchers's favourite
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

For real men.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    For real men.
    Splashed all over or mixed with a Canadian Dry? I have the Emerald Island variety:

It was Agua di Colonia that reminded me, so at the risk of the Wrath of Raffe for posting inane pics, here is Fungus the Bogeyman in his bath. Love the product names, inc. the aforementioned:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post

What! No fountain pens!

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Penhaligon anyone?
    opus 1870 and blenheim bouquet in the cupboard, but want some juniper sling at some point.

also have Trufits trafalgar, spanish leather and sandlewood

TOBS sandlewood aftershave gel

trumpers sandlewood skin food.

all the sandlewoods smell different!

I've been looking for a decent Sandlewood for ages, tried Taylor's but it didn't do it for me, I recently bought this Geo F Trumper

https://m.lookfantastic.com/geo.-f.-...prGOKJz71knWle
    I wasn't sure initially, it's very strong and doesn't smell very sandlewoody straight out of the bottle but give it a while and it really does, I guess there are parts that evaporate off and leave the base smell behind, it's quite long lasting too. Quite happy with it.

Master
    Tried the alcohol free aftershave, quite nice and long lasting. Is it possible to get sample bottles of the rest?

you can order small phials/decants of the expensive stuff here:
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewforum....0452efef916a77

Or some decants sampler packs here:
    http://theperfumedcourt.com

I've been looking for a decent Sandlewood for ages, tried Taylor's but it didn't do it for me, I recently bought this Geo F Trumper

https://m.lookfantastic.com/geo.-f.-...prGOKJz71knWle
    I wasn't sure initially, it's very strong and doesn't smell very sandlewoody straight out of the bottle but give it a while and it really does, I guess there are parts that evaporate off and leave the base smell behind, it's quite long lasting too. Quite happy with it.
    The Trumpers is more Cedar based. Try the DR Harris, it's more of an authentic Sandalwood.

I posted this yesterday but it might be more relevant here as it's Taylor and it's Sandalwood: Amazon Prime members can buy them for £8.95
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Shaving-H...477MY63AZSZRD0