closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fast or Slow???

Craftsman

Fast or Slow???

Can any anyone enlighten me on what is better. To have a mechanical selfwound COSC certified watch that runs fast or runs slow? I have a number of watches that are all COSC certified and that are either within their warranty period or service periods. But I've got an equal split on watches that either gain or lose seconds over the 24hr period. Is one classed as better then the other or does it not really matter? All seconds lost or gained are within COSC limits.
    Last edited by Jayareg; 5th January 2016 at 20:24.

If any of your watches are gaining or losing minutes in a day, they are knackered, let alone within COSC specs.

Isn't there Rolex guidance somewhere about leaving the watch on it's side with the crown up makes it gain time and crown down causes it to lose time - or might be the other way round. I have seen a picture of this somewhere as guidance to correct a few seconds either way.

Fast is usually considered preferable, since it makes you early for things rather than late, but it's up to you!

Found it.

upload img

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Found it.

upload img
    I tried this and it didn't really seem to make any difference. How long should it take to see a difference?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    If any of your watches are gaining or losing minutes in a day, they are knackered, let alone within COSC specs.
    Sorry typo I meant seconds not minutes, I have edited my original post.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer fast. Running slow annoys me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I prefer fast. Running slow annoys me.
    I've got to say I prefer a watch running fast as well as it is just a lot easier to set when needed. However I've spoken to a few people that suggest a good watch should always gain and never lose. Not sure where their information comes from just wondered if anyone was experienced?

Fast or Slow???

Found it.

upload img
    Face up = speed up; on-the-side = seconds slide.

Journeyman
    As others have said, Fast is preferable.

Yep, gotta be fast. Then you arrive early everywhere

Fast, because you can use the hacking to correct it.

Like most people I prefer fast.

Watches which run slow I set ahead 5 minutes and let catch up. I don't like to have a slow time on my wrist.

I suppose it gives me a sense of security knowing I have a bit of leeway.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayareg View Post
    I've got to say I prefer a watch running fast as well as it is just a lot easier to set when needed. However I've spoken to a few people that suggest a good watch should always gain and never lose. Not sure where their information comes from just wondered if anyone was experienced?
    I think that's probably ideals being communicated as fact.
    Some gain, some lose. Kinda luck of the draw.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Found it.

upload img
    I've seen this before, I got the impression it was valid for the time (1950s? 1960s?) but not really nowadays, due to improvements in the movements. Does it work for you? Be interested to know if modern vs vintage Rolex respond differently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I've seen this before, I got the impression it was valid for the time (1950s? 1960s?) but not really nowadays, due to improvements in the movements. Does it work for you? Be interested to know if modern vs vintage Rolex respond differently.
    You beat me to it, I was thinking exactly the same thing!!

Master
    I've always preferred fast to slow, at least you'll only be early. With my one watch that runs at -3 my solution is to set it 10 secs ahead - then it's close to spot on for few days I'm likely to wear it, and I don't have to think about it being behind. Silly really but it works for me!

Grand Master
    In many cases (but not all) a watch will run slightly faster in the flat positions. In such cases, a watch left dial-up overnight will gain slightly and this will potentially offset a slight loss over the normal wear period in the daytime/evening. This is because the amplitude is always higher in flat positions compared to pendants and usually (but not always) this will equate to a slightly higher rate.

This isn`t a hard and fast rule, for reasons I don`t fully understand and can`t be bothered to try and learn; I just accept it as a truism and it's easy to see on a timegrapher. Some movements seem to follow this rule, others don`t. 1950s Omega 340/350s seem to do the opposite, with the rate decreasing if the amplitude increases..........it isn`t straightforward!

Like most folks, I don`t like a watch to lose time, even by 1 or 2 secs/day. Likewise I don`t like a watch to gain more than 5 secs/day but I prefer it to losing time.

Consistency is just as important, and that's what COSC is really about.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I've always preferred fast to slow, at least you'll only be early. With my one watch that runs at -3 my solution is to set it 10 secs ahead - then it's close to spot on for few days I'm likely to wear it, and I don't have to think about it being behind. Silly really but it works for me!
    Not silly at all, perfectly logical

I have an Omega Constellation that runs at -2 and that's what I do with it. It's a real faff to remove the bracelet and get the back off to regulate it......maybe Ill get around to it one day but it's easier to simply set it 10 secs fast!

Paul