closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex gaining ridiculous time - thoughts

Master

Rolex gaining ridiculous time - thoughts

Having just purchased a new Rolex (semi vintage with no known service history) really disappointed that even though everything looked great unfortunately timekeeping is crazy out, literally an hour a day fast!

I have no issue with the retailer as as they have already confirmed this will be sorted and were incredibly apologetic but can't help thinking that this could be a major issue rather than something resolvable with a service/repair of the movement or am I worrying unnecessarily?

I have confirmed that providing the issue is resolved I am happy to keep the watch but just wanted to check others opinions on the problem itself?

Running that fast sounds like it could be a magnetised movement to me. If that's the case, it's a very easy and cheap fix.

Journeyman
    Just like any other watch; no better, no worse.
    Because the retailer had agreed to fix it, there is nothing to be worried about.

Sounds like it has been magnetised, Nick.

Getting it demagnetised is simple enough from most watchmakers. In the meantime, keep it away from iPad magnetic covers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    I have no issue with the retailer as as they have already confirmed this will be sorted and were incredibly apologetic but can't help thinking that this could be a major issue rather than something resolvable with a service/repair of the movement or am I worrying unnecessarily?
    I think you're worrying too much. If they said they can sort it, let them.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Sounds like it has been magnetised, Nick.

Getting it demagnetised is simple enough from most watchmakers. In the meantime, keep it away from iPad magnetic covers, etc.
    Interesting comment. If you are wearing the watch and are using an i-pad on your knee with a cover with magnets in - is there a magnatised risk from that or are you referring to something more direct like taking the watch off and leaving it on top of the i-pad whilst both are not being used.

Hope this doesn't come across as a silly question, just trying to understand how strong or close do magnets need to be to cause a problem.

Grand Master
    Provided the seller has agreed to sort it out, all should end well.

However, the sellers hasn`t covered themselves in glory here because they obviously haven`t checked the watch thoroughly.

It's possible that the watch is badly magnetised, in which case it's simple to fix (demagnetise it and all should be well. However, it could be something else. Dirt on the hairspring would cause the watch to run fast because the coils would bind together; this is easily fixed by degreasing the hairspring thoroughly. It's possible the watch is overbanking; it'll run fast when worn actively but run OK if left standing. This is a problem with the mainspring barrel and it's easily resolvable.

Clearly, the watch should get a full stripdown/service which should eradicate these problems. That means it'll go to a competent repairer who'll use a timegrapher to set it up. I would ask to see the timing results for the watch and the amplitude figures before accepting it back. Make it clear that you want this info as evidence that all is now well; the seller might not like it but I see no reason why this data shouldn`t be shared.

Paul

Master
    Thanks for comments so far, the seller is a retailer and has an approved Rolex technician to carry out servicing so all should be ok and I am very happy with how they have dealt with the situation (in case I didn't make that clear) I was surprised it was supplied with the issue so obvious as some have suggested but we all make mistakes so no harm done! I did see the magnetised issue on the web but never having come across this before wasn't sure if this was a genuine possibility or not, it can't be me as the watch was 'fast' from receipt!! Hopefully all will be sorted and no problems once sent back to me and thanks for the advice/comments above to put my mind at ease

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Interesting comment. If you are wearing the watch and are using an i-pad on your knee with a cover with magnets in - is there a magnatised risk from that or are you referring to something more direct like taking the watch off and leaving it on top of the i-pad whilst both are not being used.

Hope this doesn't come across as a silly question, just trying to understand how strong or close do magnets need to be to cause a problem.
    Of course, it depends on the watch. An IWC pilot, Omega Speedmaster, etc with an anti magnetic cage would probably be fine, a Rolex Milgauss, along with the likes of the Aqua Terra Gauss would be unaffected, and newer movements like Rolex, with a parachrom bleu hairspring, and Omega's in-house silicon hairspring movements wouldn't suffer either.

For others, I personally wouldn't worry about simply using an iPad normally, but I'd certainly be hesitant about leaving a watch sitting unused on top of an iPad. The way some of the covers snap on to the iPad with quite a ferocity, I wouldn't risk sitting my watch on top of it for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Of course, it depends on the watch. An IWC pilot, Omega Speedmaster, etc with an anti magnetic cage would probably be fine, a Rolex Milgauss, along with the likes of the Aqua Terra Gauss would be unaffected, and newer movements like Rolex, with a parachrom bleu hairspring, and Omega's in-house silicon hairspring movements wouldn't suffer either.

For others, I personally wouldn't worry about simply using an iPad normally, but I'd certainly be hesitant about leaving a watch sitting unused on top of an iPad. The way some of the covers snap on to the iPad with quite a ferocity, I wouldn't risk sitting my watch on top of it for any length of time.
    Thanks for that. My watch is a 1974 Rolex and I agree that the covers on i-pads can be a little strong. When in use the cover is on the reverse side. All interesting stuff - should have bought a Milgauss !!

Thanks for comments so far, the seller is a retailer and has an approved Rolex technician to carry out servicing so all should be ok and I am very happy with how they have dealt with the situation (in case I didn't make that clear) I was surprised it was supplied with the issue so obvious as some have suggested but we all make mistakes so no harm done! I did see the magnetised issue on the web but never having come across this before wasn't sure if this was a genuine possibility or not, it can't be me as the watch was 'fast' from receipt!! Hopefully all will be sorted and no problems once sent back to me and thanks for the advice/comments above to put my mind at ease
    Which retailer with an 'approved Rolex technician' sold you a Rolex that was running an hour a day fast?

Could be the following:

1. Magnetized (although I doubt this is the problem).
    2. Poor regulation - first thing would be to try adjusting the arm to slow down the watch. If you are close to the extremes/limits then see 3.
    3. Service - could be gunk, lack of oil, worn out parts that is messing the balance wheel oscillation.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Could be the following:

2. Poor regulation - first thing would be to try adjusting the arm to slow down the watch. If you are close to the extremes/limits then see 3.
    Not on a Rolex! Free-sprung balance with adjuster screws on the balance rim. Not a job to be undertaken lightly!

This watch is performing way beyond the limits of regulation.

Paul

Master
    As an aside - for I don't know whether this watch came in the post - what are the odds of a watch being magnetised in the post? My understanding was that barcode scanners could magnetise a mechanical watch (my excuse for standing outside shops while other members of the family scan and pay, so don't ruin it), and if so, aren't parcels routinely barcode scanned?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    As an aside - for I don't know whether this watch came in the post - what are the odds of a watch being magnetised in the post? My understanding was that barcode scanners could magnetise a mechanical watch (my excuse for standing outside shops while other members of the family scan and pay, so don't ruin it), and if so, aren't parcels routinely barcode scanned?
    Barcode scanners aren't magnetic, they are optical, a laser reads the printed barcode

Grand Master
    I've posted and received lots of watches in the past few years and never had a problem.

I don't know what causes watches to become magnetised these days but I don't think bar code scanners are to blame.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Which retailer with an 'approved Rolex technician' sold you a Rolex that was running an hour a day fast?
    Good point and would you trust that retailer and their Rolex approved tech to get it right a second time? As obviously they didn't before the sale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I've posted and received lots of watches in the past few years and never had a problem.

I don't know what causes watches to become magnetised these days but I don't think bar code scanners are to blame.

Paul
    Ha, I just covered that in the post above.
    They don't because they are not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Barcode scanners aren't magnetic, they are optical, a laser reads the printed barcode
    Damn, there goes my excuse. You'll be telling me that kitchens or photocopiers aren't magnetic next, aaaaaaaagh.

Master
    Damn, there goes my excuse. You'll be telling me that kitchens or photocopiers aren't magnetic next, aaaaaaaagh.
    Kitchens are, the kettle has an induction coil to heat the water, so safe there.
    And there are electric motors with magnetic coils in photocopiers to move the paper around, so you're ok on that score too.

As to the shopping?
    That's easy, you can't go into any shop that has anti theft tags, as the door scanners can be magnetic

Guitar pickups, loudspeakers, door catches, the clasp on your manbag, the list goes on...

Master
    Good point and would you trust that retailer and their Rolex approved tech to get it right a second time? As obviously they didn't before the sale
    I don't disagree and obviously wouldn't have posted originally if I was 100% happy but I also understand mistakes/issues do happen in any business.

The watch was a recent incoming to the seller so I am going with the benefit of the doubt that it was not full tested/checked and I did express my interest as soon as it was taken in by the shop, yes it should have been tested but beyond that I am currently going to give them the benefit of the doubt to resolve the issue before any questions are asked on naming and shaming etc.

Master
    I don't disagree and obviously wouldn't have posted originally if I was 100% happy but I also understand mistakes/issues do happen in any business.

The watch was a recent incoming to the seller so I am going with the benefit of the doubt that it was not full tested/checked and I did express my interest as soon as it was taken in by the shop, yes it should have been tested but beyond that I am currently going to give them the benefit of the doubt to resolve the issue before any questions are asked on naming and shaming etc.
    That's fair enough, hopefully they'll do a good job, and you never know could lead to having a good relationship with the AD.
    I've always found that the resolution to such issues is reason and calm, all easier said than done, but if both sides give and take a solution can be reached where both sides walk away happy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a little slack on inspecting beyond visual condition, particularly if it was a swift turnaround.. If theyve agreed to fix it no matter what the problem is then you should be good to go, if parts are available (and indeed if a replacement wotnot is necessary)
    See what they come up with and how it does post service.

My guess is a hung up hairspring that might easily have happened in transit...
    It will be interesting if you get a proper report as to the issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Sounds like a little slack on inspecting beyond visual condition, particularly if it was a swift turnaround.. If theyve agreed to fix it no matter what the problem is then you should be good to go, if parts are available (and indeed if a replacement wotnot is necessary)
    See what they come up with and how it does post service.
    True, give them a chance to make good, and if good, all is good.
    Parts shouldn't be an issue as the OP said that they have a Rolex accredited tech, so will have access to their supply chain.
    Looking forward to see / hear about the outcome either way, but hoping for a positive result

Master
    Thanks and will update as soon as I hear more, watch received back this morning and they suggested around a week to turnaround so watch this space!

Master
    Well watch has been returned and timing is spot on however, call me paranoid, but having removed the bracelet to check on the condition of the identifying marks I am greeted by a perfectly visible model number and a totally obscured serial number (where it should be between the lugs)

Am I being overly paranoid or does something not seem quite right here?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452934420.998667.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452934431.230744.jpg

Need a better photo - can't see anything from that one.

Master
    Damn tapatalk, this should work better

https://flic.kr/p/CK6VKE

https://flic.kr/p/CK6VGU
    Last edited by nictry; 16th January 2016 at 11:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My guess is a hung up hairspring that might easily have happened in transit...
    It will be interesting if you get a proper report as to the issue.
    My thoughts too. I had a Sinn fall off my bedside table onto carpeted floor and it became a racing snake overnight.
    Took it to Tylden Reed and he smiled that knowing smile, tapped it on his hand and all back to normal... no charge either.
    Part of the learning curve that never ends.

I wouldn't be happy with an unreadable serial number though...

Odd, looks very pitted. Strange way to obscure number if deliberate.

Master

I don't disagree but maybe a better question would be would you be happy with a watch of this value with an obscured serial number even though I have an alleged matching certificate, how does one prove that this watch is the year of manufacture (1991) or x serial if there is no indicating marks on the watch?

Would there be anything inside the watch to confirm age/serial for example?

Grand Master
    Regardless of the serial number issue, I`d expect a proper explanation, detailing the exact nature of the fault and the remedial work carried out. I would want to be convinced that the watch is in good health; ideally some timing data and amplitude figures would confirm this. If the firm have their own repairer I can`t see why this info can`t be provided.

As I see it, the lack of serial number devalues the watch significantly and would be a problem should the OP wish to sell in the future. As far as I know, Rolex movements don`t have a corresponding serial number with the watch so there's no way to tie the watch up with the papers.

I`m assuming the serial number issue wasn`t disclosed when the watch was sold? If that's the case there's good grounds for a getting a refund and walking away from the watch.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th January 2016 at 12:11.

Banned
    Serial number has either worn away (which happens) or has been removed.

Removal only points to one thing...

I wouldn’t buy it from you.

Craftsman
    I guess these days all postage goes under x-ray check because of enforced security. So, this may be possible a cause: may be springs suffer this kind of inspections.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jambobbyb View Post
    That case doesn't look "finished" to me take a look at the thread from yesterday I think it's called a Rolex is born, I would be taking that back. If there isn't a serial number on it!
    Odd that the model number 'side' is perfect and engraved but the serial number 'side' is completely pitted/scraped?

a totally obscured serial number (where it should be between the lugs)
    There was a time when watches being sold on the grey market often had their serial numbers removed so that the manufacturer couldn't trace them back to the AD that had sold them on to the grey market. Unfortunately it is also possible that the number was removed because the watch had been stolen at some point in the past.

There are at least 3 problems that I suspect you will encounter with this watch:

1. You cannot be certain that the paperwork you have received belongs to this particular watch
    2. Rolex will almost certainly refuse to service it
    3. The resale value will be affected if/when you go to sell it

If it were me, I would return it to the seller and request a full refund, especially given the timing issues that you have already had with it.

Journeyman
    If this is a retailer i suspect they have checked serial against Rolex Stolen Registry that they have access to? What is their explanation about serial number?

Also in other words. Would you buy from me Rolex without clearly visible serial number but i said all was fine? I doubt and you will loose on resale in the future for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    If this is a retailer i suspect they have checked serial against Rolex Stolen Registry that they have access to?
    No, the Rolex Stolen/Lost Registry is only available to Rolex ADs, not to other retailers. And anyway, isn't the issue here that there is no (visible) serial number on the watch, so how could you check it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    No, the Rolex Stolen/Lost Registry is only available to Rolex ADs, not to other retailers. And anyway, isn't the issue here that there is no (visible) serial number on the watch, so how could you check it?
    I assumed it was Rolex AD (retailer). Maybe have missed it reading thread.

So how can a retailer sell a watch further without knowing its history?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Thought Haywood had access to this. Didn't think he was an AD or is his a different register?

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    So how can a retailer sell a watch further without knowing its history?
    In the same way that any other second-hand goods (televisions, cars, whatever) are sold by retailers without knowing their "history".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thought Haywood had access to this. Didn't think he was an AD or is his a different register?
    My understanding is that Haywood was instrumental in setting up the SaferGems register precisely because Rolex withdrew access to their register to anybody apart from their own ADs.

Master

Yep as mentioned I have a certificate but without the serial from the watch no proof they belong together so nothing to check even if the L&S register can be used

The watch was bought from a 'reputable' retailer (at least from the due diligence I did) but they are not an AD - the earlier reference was to an authorised Rolex technical/service person that does all their work

I have mailed them to be very clear how aggrieved I feel about the whole saga and that I see only a full return/refund is an option however more than that I want a full explanation as to how they could allow this watch to be sold with these issues apparant so will see on Monday what I hear back.

Master
    You've done the right thing. The response will be interesting.

Master
    Update - response once again profuse apologies and immediate offer to replace with a newer model however as I am looking for a specific year that wasn't an option, they have said they will source a replacement urgently with necessary model/year and box/papers and have confirmed this will be done asap but at any point can return existing watch for full refund

I guess that is the best option but knowing how difficult it will be for me as an individual to source a single year watch I will give them a couple of weeks to see what they can do and go from there

I am p***d off to be frank but am giving them a chance to rectify this catalog of errors first

Grand Master
    The best advice I can give is to return the watch and get your money back. Despite making the right noises this seller is best avoided IMO. Taking big money off someone for a watch that runs badly and has no serial number is out of order and there's NO excuse. Just walk away from these guys.

The next-best advice I can give (and you'll probably take no notice) is to FORGET the 'exact year' thing! Just buy a nice example from the era in question. You've probably been drawn to this one on the basis of the age, and it hasn`t turned out well. Take the exact year factor out of the equation and the whole process becomes simpler and more sensible.

The final piece of advice is this: Don`t buy without HANDLING the thing first. If that means a day off work and a ride on a train (with associated expense) it's worth it. I`m really not a fan of buying this type of watch based on pictures and adverts. Good examples are out there, but they take some finding.

As for the age thing, here's an example of the futility: I`m lucky to own a near-mint Datejust Bicolour sold to the original owner in mid-1987. He clamed to have worn it only around a dozen times and I believe him, it's that clean. I bought it, checked the serial number and it dates to 1986. That's fine for me, the year doesn`t matter, I love the watch and I enjoy it..........but if I`d been on the 'date /year quest' I would've been mightily pissed off because the watch isn`t a 1987 model, it's either 1985 or 86! This is a watch in near-mint condition and even if the year thing had been significant I would've been foolish to pass it by on the basis that it was a year or two out. That's the point I`m trying to make when people get so hung up on specific years.

Paul

Craftsman
    So you're returning the watch for a full refund? That is a good outcome here.

Post a WTB here, you never know someone may have exactly what you're looking for.

Not sure why p***d off OP.

Inconvenient, yes but things could have been a lot worse - seller played hardball, not discovered missing serial number until months/years later etc.