closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Range Rover versus Range Rover Sport?

Range Rover versus Range Rover Sport?

I am considering upgrading my everyday drive, currently shortlisted models are either one of Range Rover or Range Rover Sport plus Porsche Cayenne. Looking for loaded 2012 year L320/L322 models rather than forking out massive cash for the latest aluminium-bodied models. Prefer diesel engines, suppose the 4.4 version for the RR and 3.6 for the RRS. Read some stories about poor transmissions, would that still apply to 2012 models?

Anyone some smart input, preferably from experience? Opinions versus Cayenne also appreciated.

Thanks

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The full fat range rover beats the sport hand down
    Bigger more roomier much comfier
    Less drug dealer chav

I have worked on Range Rovers (and others) in the past and am currently looking to change my good lady's vehicle for a later L322 Range Rover.

If you are wanting the "real deal" do not buy a L320 Sport. It is not a Range Rover in the true sense as it is based on the Discovery. However, I suppose it depends on whether or not you are a Range Rover purist.

Depending on the mileage you are doing could influence the Diesel/Petrol choice. Personally I don't do a high mileage so a petrol 4.4 isn't a big deal fuel cost wise. (Depending how you drive it, the Supercharged 4.2 is thirstier). Also once you have driven a petrol Range Rover you'll see why those who can afford it don't buy the diesel.

If you do go the petrol route try to get the later (05 onwards) model with the Jaguer V8 and 6 speed box rather than the BMW V8 and 5 speed box. You can get some of the later versions which don't have the higher Vehicle Excise rate. (Buy one that was registered prior to 23 March 2006.) Quick way to distinguish between them is the BMW engined Range Rovers have headlamp washwipers and a straight top to the front bumper whereas the later ones have pressure jet headlamp wash and the centre of the front bumber is cut down.

Happy hunting.

Calling FFF...

I've had a 2007 3.6 TDV8 FF Vogue SE and more recently a 4.2 Supercharged RRS HSE.

I prefer the FF. The interior is a notch above that of the RRS. It is however noticeably bigger, especially when driving around town. The width is noticeable when parking up.

Had a few problems in the year I had my FF. Lower rear bushes needed doing and the alternator went.

Master
    I currently drive a 3.6 TDV8 VSE and prior to that I had a SC, both full fat. Would never consider a RRS, as it's not a patch on a Full Fat!

Craftsman
    Full Fat Range Rover

but...

The original (L320) RRS was briefly available with the V8 diesel, which was/is astounding.

Pay no heed to "not a proper..." http://youtu.be/n8Nfvr4iWeQ

L320 was on a ladder chassis, new FFRR and RRS are monocoque. Either way, nothing else touches them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am considering upgrading my everyday drive, currently shortlisted models are either one of Range Rover or Range Rover Sport plus Porsche Cayenne. Looking for loaded 2012 year L320/L322 models rather than forking out massive cash for the latest aluminium-bodied models. Prefer diesel engines, suppose the 4.4 version for the RR and 3.6 for the RRS. Read some stories about poor transmissions, would that still apply to 2012 models?

Anyone some smart input, preferably from experience? Opinions versus Cayenne also appreciated.

Thanks

Raffe
    I think tbh you need to work out which one of the LR's you want as they are very different vehicles. It's personal choice to be honest, one things for certain I would steer well clear of the 3.6TDV8 sport and go for a later 3.0 Tdv6, they made these up to mid 2013. One word of advise if you should get one make sure it comes with a CCP warranty!!

Pm me if you prefer or if you have any specific questions.

FFF.

Craftsman
    No experience of RR's but a couple of hundred thousand miles in four Cayennes over the last 12 years. Both V8 petrol and V6 turbo diesels. IMO terrific motors. Maybe not as luxurious as the FF but it is well built and I've had no major issues in any of them. Definitely worth a test drive to compare. I've been in enough RR's to know they are a very different proposition on the road. Not off road, of course, though my V8 on winter tyres was reasonably impressive on the muddy bits.

FFF - finally you arrived! Did you miss my bat call?

Master
    Had two sports and tested loads of full fats.

I'd always go with the sport.

Master
    Out of interest have you also looked at the big VW Touareg V10? Had one on loan for a few weeks last year and it pulled my socks off. Amazing machine and available for relative peanuts.

A thread from recent months, there are older ones

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=range+rover

My post on it:

Had a RR 4.4 V8 new in 2003, great car to drive/very capable BUT in its first year it was off the road for something like 17 days with issues, highlights being:

2 propshafts
    2 front diffs
    1 complete steering column
    2 tail-lights
    1 radiator (iirc)

Left me stranded three times (once at 4pm on Xmas Eve ffs) as the key wasn't talking to the car. Little issues I don't mind, but the biggies were really a ball-ache!

The prop/diff was a known design fault: shaft was not a UJ at the front end, under load it misaligned with the front diff and ate the shaft splines. They updated to a double end UJ around 2005 with the facelift.

Warranty work was over £8k in my ownership (until 2007).

Nightmare on a £55k new car, at £5k perhaps a different story if you like taking a risk.

Funnily enough, I've not bought another LR product

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    FFF - finally you arrived! Did you miss my bat call?
    Yeh it's a bit foggy around these parts tonight!

Craftsman

Smile

I work on the range rover model at JLR,so I would say range rover ,keep me in work .

Banned
    Of that generation FF.

Of the current, probably Sport.

Thanks all.

Anyone's got something to say about 2012 8-speed transmissions?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Thanks all.

Anyone's got something to say about 2012 8-speed transmissions?
    Nothing horrible that springs to mind, can't remember having any issues actually.

I've experienced the 8-speed ZF gearbox in several 5-series BMWs. It's an awesome gearbox.

As a result I bought an 8-speed LR Discovery recently. Very happy with it.

Thanks again, everybody. Let the hunt begin!

My Range Roving days are over: there's only so many times you want to drive across Europe in limp mode.

The last gen sport was awful, drove one (supercharged petrol) down to Italy for my boss last year. Haven't driven the latest version, but it can't be any worse.

Banned
    How did the hunt go for these expensive cars, did you ask for new tyres on them because they have been worn, maybe new seats eh, only you want a new strap for your Jerk wert.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    How did the hunt go for these expensive cars, did you ask for new tyres on them because they have been worn, maybe new seats eh, only you want a new strap for your Jerk wert.

Have you dug up this old thread and posted on it just for the sake of being rude to the OP?!

Banned
    Demanding a new strap on a watch because it MAY have been worn a few times is just ridiculous, I bet the shop are glad to see the back of him.

Just an opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Have you dug up this old thread and posted on it just for the sake of being rude to the OP?!
    Look at yourself your here again, jog on will you, assuming things it'll be your downfall.

Master
    Full Fat RR, it's the ultimate status 4X4.

the RRS is for girls and hairdressers
    the Porsche is fugly.

Banned

Range Rover versus Range Rover Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Full Fat RR, it's the ultimate status 4X4.
    As long as you don't mind waiting for the recovery truck, wear ear defenders for the noise, be able to put out the small fire from the electrical wiring, and when you hear the dreaded clunk from the gearbox pull over in less than 5 sec because the engines gone bang.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Pretty much
    Yeah, I wrote that before I saw the others

Fords has left the room.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

FFRR all the way. Here's mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

I know you've left the conversation - but if I was buying a new car with delivery mileage and the tyres looked like they had been doing donuts round the car park, then I'd either give it a miss or yes I'd ask for new tyres!
    It's just a matter of time...

I've had three Sports and now this 'Full Fat Westminster'....

Loved every one of them but the Vogue is far superior in every way IMO and just generally a much nicer place to sit, as well as being an all round better car.

Having said that I'm very much a 'point and squirt' driver so handling while whizzing round bends at 90mph doesn't concern me, although the superiority of the 4.4l V8 does.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise this was such an old thread and had been resurrected just for a 'dig' but nevertheless I'm still very much a full fat fan!!
    Last edited by spuds; 11th August 2017 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

Do passengers have to remove their shoes?

^ Nice.