closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Sports personality of the year..................

BBC Sports personality of the year..................

What a load of absolute boring dribble.

You have to pay these days to watch any decent live sport on TV -
    but at least the BBC are consistent in spending the license fee on such dross as Sports personality of the year.

Grand Master
    Now Now, Downton Abbey will be back before you know it
    RIAC

Master
    I'm watching it, dunno why as I never do. Maybe because it's in Belfast.

Froome would be my choice.

I'm making a point of ignoring it, and watching England winning the Ashes on Sky Sports 3 right now.

They're showing Edgbaston now. 15000 Englishmen sledging Mitchell Johnson. Which will be followed by Trent Bridge, and Stuart Broad helping himself to lots of Australian wickets, Ben Stokes taking the catch of the summer, and Australia all out for 60.

Happy days.

A TV show about which sports person has the best personality?
    It can only be a snooze fest, and TV companies love to drag these things out.

A strange competition for which no one competes! And about as interesting...

Master
    I'm baffled by the amount of people in attendance. At least I can turn the station over, those poor buggers there have to endure it.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Caught the end as I turned on for The Apprentice final. Andy Murray eh? I thought it was Sports Personality ​of the Year?

So, AM overtakes Henry Cooper and Damon Hill in the BBC SPotY league table...but Nigel Mansell stays top.

I stopped watching SPOTY a few years back. Overblown hype and garbage from the BBC as usual, shame they didn't put as much effort into covering actual sporting events.

Typical BBC rubbish...a corporation stuck in the 1970s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Caught the end as I turned on for The Apprentice final. Andy Murray eh? I thought it was Sports Personality ​of the Year?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxford dictionaries
    Personality: A celebrity or famous person: "an official opening by a famous personality"
    It's about achieving something special in your field not being life and soul of the party!

I think going from bottom of the pile to winning the Davis for the first time in 79 years pretty much single-handedly is some achievement IMHO.

I am a bit biased being a tennis fan however!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    It's about achieving something special in your field not being life and soul of the party!

I think going from bottom of the pile to winning the Davis for the first time in 79 years pretty much single-handedly is some achievement IMHO.

Indeed you may be.
    May I now suggest you use the same publication and look up irony.

I can't believe it wasn't the bloke with pimp hat and dogs. He's one crazy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I stopped watching SPOTY a few years back. Overblown hype and garbage from the BBC as usual, shame they didn't put as much effort into covering actual sporting events.
    Absolutely this!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Typical BBC rubbish...a corporation stuck in the 1970s.
    Yeah, right...link.

Master
    This thread is really helping in my decision to stop paying the license.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Kevin Sinfield should have won it.

Won the rugby league treble this season. Highest ever points scorer in super league. Captained his country. In one match against Warrington he was actually knocked unconscious twice and went on to win. Ambassador for the game, revered not only by his own teams fans, but the sport over.

Proud to say I know him personally!

Working class family lad, from Oldham. Never in any disciplinary trouble, never in the papers for the wrong reasons. A true team player!

He single handed kept Leeds in the race for the grand final with a 40/20 kick that made a try that beat St Helens (my team) and was applauded by both teams fans for s breathtaking piece of skill when they were (Leeds) dead on their feet!

But rugby league isn't fashionable.
    Last edited by RJM25R; 21st December 2015 at 00:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Kevin Sinfield should have won it.

Won the rugby league treble this season. Highest ever points scorer in super league. Captained his country. In one match against Warrington he was actually knocked unconscious twice and went on to win. Ambassador for the game, revered not only by his own teams fans, but the sport over.

Proud to say I know him personally!

Working class family lad, from Oldham. Never in any disciplinary trouble, never in the papers for the wrong reasons. A true team player!

He single handed kept Leeds in the race for the grand final with a 40/20 kick that made a try that beat St Helens (my team) and was applauded by both teams fans for s breathtaking piece of skill when they were (Leeds) dead on their feet!

But rugby league isn't fashionable.
    So no bias then

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    A good job you have such a quality taste in TV LOL
    Are you an American and voting Trump?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    ...But rugby league isn't fashionable.
    A bit like motorcycling then where we have two current world champions and neither even made the shortlist. If I was cynical I'd think that the BBC not having the rights to the sport was part of the reason for their oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    This thread is really helping in my decision to stop paying the license.
    I've been thinking of doing that-
    I trust it's easy enough to get away with if you tell them you never watch live TV?

anyone here stopped paying and had any future issues?

What? Not Tyson Fury?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    A TV show about which sports person has the best personality?
    It can only be a snooze fest, and TV companies love to drag these things out.
    Yeh I though that, and Murray won....he has no personality. He is a boring knob who can barely crack a smile.

Glad I missed it. I was out listening to a great band rehearsing in our studio.

On the same note, we had our Christmas party on Saturday night. I had several calls from folk due to attend who didn't, because they wanted to watch the Strictly Come Dancing final? Get a life!

Odd how people sit and watch something just to moan about it...

I was out last night.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Odd how people sit and watch something just to moan about it...

I was out last night.

M.
    I didn't watch it either..........but Murray is still a dour personality-free cretin!

So what?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Ha ha ha!! we won, were watching something on iplayer which finished in time for the final few minutes of Danny Boy and the grand reveal! Doesn't sound like we missed much.

So what?

M
    You don't have to watch something (like SPOTY) to comment on it............

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    You don't have to watch something (like SPOTY) to comment on it............
    Indeed, but I don't really see why a sports person is expected to be a witty, fun person.

The use of the word PERSONALITY here is to avoid the gender bias of SPORTSMAN (Perhaps Sportsperson of the year would be a better title).

Murray's (or anyone else's) achievement isn't enhanced or lessened by them being funny, clever or entertaining.

It seems to me that people are getting too hung up on the word 'Personality' and applying the wrong (in this context) meaning.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yeh I though that, and Murray won....he has no personality. He is a boring knob who can barely crack a smile.
    The Oxford Dictionary offers several definitions of personality, two of which are applicable to AM:

• The combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character
    • A celebrity or famous person

The first can also be used in reference to the various grouches on this forum as there is no stipulation that the combination of characteristics or qualities has to be pleasant or appealing.

Then, to pick up on the point made by snowman at post #31 above; the BBC's Terms and conditions for the award stipulate that the 'award goes to the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the public's imagination'. No mention of personality there, pleasant, pleasing, cantankerous or otherwise...
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st December 2015 at 11:56. Reason: insert T&Cs hyperlink

Personality-less people don't capture my imagination!!

Grand Master
    Indeed, but I don't really see why a sports person is expected to be a witty, fun person.

The use of the word PERSONALITY here is to avoid the gender bias of SPORTSMAN (Perhaps Sportsperson of the year would be a better title).

Murray's (or anyone else's) achievement isn't enhanced or lessened by them being funny, clever or entertaining.

It seems to me that people are getting too hung up on the word 'Personality' and applying the wrong (in this context) meaning.

M.
    +1.....my thoughts exactly. Murray isn't comfortable in interviews etc and he'll never come across as an engaging character on TV. Sports people should be judged on their achievements and Murray deserves the accolades for what he's done. He does seem a bit dour on TV.....so what?

As a Rugby League fan I would've been pleased to see Sinfield win. As Rick's pointed out, he certainly deserved it. He's another one who doesn't do much smiling for the cameras, but his achievements and his character speak volumes for the guy. Very highly regarded by everyone in the game.

Paul

They should've had Flouncer of the Year award for Sam Burgess.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    What? Not Tyson Fury?

I know, incredible isn't it?

First British heavyweight champion for donkeys years, should have been a shoo in.

If only he had kept his mouth shut.

The PC BBC wouldn't have let him win, I mean they even had a lady footballer (who achieved nothing) in the running and no Ashes record breaker Joe Root for cricket!!!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Perhaps Sportsperson of the year would be a better title.
    I see your point, but this would surely become even more complicated to compare?
    Some achieved things which have never been achieved before, however, maybe they were still more achievable than those done 79yrs ago?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

The [/I]award goes to the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the public's imagination'[/I].
    Surely this is what it is & Lewis is the demonstration of that?
    Very similar achievements to last year, but down from 1st to 4th or worse.

Blog Entries
    I always remember Murrays comment about the World Cup a few years ago, and it will haunt him forever:

"Anybody but England"

Typical Scottish small mindedness disguised as banter. (That's not to say all Jocks are small minded though)

Without doubt he's a great tennis player, and a positive ambassador for the sport but churlish and not deserving of the vote imho but as a rugby league fan, I am biased towards one of "our own"

I didn't watch it btw, I was in a bar but the lads at home texted me the result. I did record it to ffwd when I'm back lol!!!

I would have liked to have seen a joint award to Kevin Sinfield and Jamie Peacock true sportsmen and ambassadors for the game of Rugby League.
    Unfortunately due to the fact that Rugby League is a predominantly Northern game it would only attract a diminished number of voters which is such a shame as it is such an honest sport played by honest sportsmen who respect the officials footballers take note.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Greg View Post
    I would have liked to have seen a joint award to Kevin Sinfield and Jamie Peacock true sportsmen and ambassadors for the game of Rugby League.
    Unfortunately due to the fact that Rugby League is a predominantly Northern game it would only attract a diminished number of voters which is such a shame as it is such an honest sport played by honest sportsmen who respect the officials footballers take note.
    My dad said:

Football is played by men pretending to be injured
    League is played by men pretending NOT to be injured!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I've been thinking of doing that-
    I trust it's easy enough to get away with if you tell them you never watch live TV?

anyone here stopped paying and had any future issues?
    Not sure. Few people in work stopped paying earlier this year and the world is still spinning.

I did some work for the BBC earlier in the year and that's really what started me thinking about doing this. I've always thought the fact we had a nationally funded broadcasting corporation to be a good thing, until I gained first hand experience of the cogs within the machine. So much bureaucracy, poor levels of expertise in so many areas.... it just seemed like so much money was being flushed that I thought "why am i funding this?"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oxymoron

Even in his acceptance speech Andy Murray described himself as being "duller than a weekend in Worthing."

And no Danny Kent, first world champ in premier class racing since Barry Sheene. Nothing to do with the bbc losing the rights to MotoGP of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    And no Danny Kent, first world champ in premier class racing since Barry Sheene. Nothing to do with the bbc losing the rights to MotoGP of course!
    Barry Sheene, who had personality in bucket loads, had to win the senior (500 cc) class twice before being placed in BBC's SPotY...and then he came third. IMO. it's more to do with the great British public than any rights...and quite a bit to do with the BBC's selection criteria.

Didn't watch it, but surely it should have gone to our 3rd time world champion - the cockwomble.

When murray won it first time it was on the back of winning a Major. This time he won it on the back of some Mickey Mouse competition which the majority of top players do not even get involved in. The equivalent of the Dunhill Cup.

A waste of time, especially given the live sports coverage the BBC now actually carry.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

We've established that personality doesn't really come into it. How about effort? Let's compare two photo searches: LH and AM...notice any difference?

NB I don't doubt LH's ability or commitment to F1, but (IMO) he has was fortunate in how his move to Mercedes worked out. And good luck to him for doing it.

So did Andy Murry win the DC all by himself....Thought it was a team win.

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    So did Andy Murry win the DC all by himself....Thought it was a team win.
    Who said it wasn't...and do you give cognisance to their views?

I watched it just to see Tyson Fury as I wanted to see if he was as thick as shit as I had been led to believe.
    The give-away was the talking in the third person, a classic narcissistic trait to absolve himself from dealing with the fallout from opening his mouth and inflicting his archaic bigoted racist and patriarchal views on anyone who will listen.
    I guess the travelling community voted for him which bumped him up the table, it's a shame he wasn't DFL which befits a loser like him.

Murray will have to work hard to overcome the anti English sentiment but as a non-tennis fan I'm starting to warm to him as he does have a sense of humour (a very dry one)
    The real winners were Ennis and Rutherford who when pressed by an interviewer regarding TF refused to bite and said they were here to celebrate and enjoy the evening.