closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your wife interested in Watches ? Or do you just want her to wear something nice?

Is your wife interested in Watches ? Or do you just want her to wear something nice?

Strange title.

One of my best mates has just bought his other half a 36mm s/s DJ brand new with dia dial and w/g bezel.
    She tried a few on in the AD's and decided if she were to have another watch, that would be it.

He's just gone out and bought it as a surprise for Christmas. Now this watch retails at 6,600 quid retail, so not exactly a stocking filler impo.

Is it important for YOU what watch your wife is wearing ? Or is it her that has a genuine interest ?

My wife has had a few nice watches over the years, but she wouldn't really know one model from the other.

Not at all, i tried to buy her something nice for her birthday and i realised i was buying it for my benefit and not hers

She has no interest and i am fine with that

My mrs wears a breitling colt ocean 2 with white dial. I've bought her Rolex watches but prefers her breitling!

It's based purely on looks with her and she doesn't care about movement/brand history etc....

She is good at spotting watches on the TV and generally gets the brand and model correct.

That's ma girl ;)

Bit of both really.

Mine has just had a lesson on screw down crowns, the dangers of magnets and hacking seconds after I got her this last week.

She said "oh god you've got your autistic face on" when I was explaining everything to her.

She loves the watch and appreciates it's classic style as much as any WIS.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    As long as it's got diamonds on it, Mrs RJM would wear a piece of dog dirt on her wrist!

My better half was moaning about me spending too much money on watches. In a conversation, she mentioned that she had always loved her aunts Datejust, and had always wanted one. So, with the help of a forum member, she has a gorgeous watch that she had always wanted to open on Christmas Day.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys what she wears. It's just my evil plan to stop her ever moaning about my watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Not at all, i tried to buy her something nice for her birthday and i realised i was buying it for my benefit and not hers

She has no interest and i am fine with that
    Ditto

Bought my wife a Tag about 20 years ago, I've offered to replace it several times and she's not interested.

Journeyman
    Bit of both, my wife likes the nicer things in life but at the same time isn't in the slightest bit materialistic. She can afford and appreciates designer handbags etc but isn't interested in being flashy. She has a Raymond Weil Tango that she was bought before we met but in her own words she finds it too delicate and dainty. She tried on a Sub at the weekend as well as an Aqua Terra and much preferred both of them! She has actually offered to use the Tango as a part exchange when I pick up my GMT next week but with no box or papers I don't think they will be interested!

When I have the funds I would love to buy her a two tone Sub (obviously i would also buy the tools to add the spare links back so that I could borrow it occasionally!)

Master
    I have thought about buying my wife a decent watch but she has absolutley no interest at all. She has a tissot for work and a swatch for all other times. If I bought her one she would place no value in it so I am better spending the money on myself at the risk of another tut when she realises I have another watch.

Banned
    Wifey likes the fashion stuff to be honest, but I took a punt on a midsize Yachtmaster a couple of years ago and it works really well.

I like a bigger watch on a female wrist.

Last edited by burnsey66; 20th December 2015 at 18:39. Reason: Pic Added

My girlfriend doesn't care as long as she thinks it looks good. And the truth is that in terms of looks, there is always a less expensive alternative that looks similar to a haute horology brand.

Mine has 11 or 12. Excellent taste, everything from Hamilton, through Tudor, Smiths to Shinola. There's far more of interest in vintage ladies' watches than most "watch people" probably realise...

Her collection is actually quite cool: a vintage Longines from her grandmother had a broken balance staff, so sourced a donor movement from eBay. Got it repaired and cleaned and now runs well. A few Smiths, including 17 jewel manual wind DeLuxe, 15 jewel Everest and small 15 jewel ladies watches. Hamilton cocktail watch with a very pretty, very small movement. Similar-sized Tudor "rose" with 15 jewel manual wind movement and a matching Girard Perregaux. Plus modern watches, including the "classic" Gucci quartz and a "Bait Ball" watch by Mr Jones. All in all, 11 or 12 really good little things. Costs me a fortune to keep them all running...
    Last edited by Broussard; 25th December 2015 at 10:41.

The OH hasn't got a clue about watches, I can wear three different watches on the same day and she wouldn't blink an eyelid. She's happy with a Swatch. Perfect

Master
    Sounds like the same DJ that I bought my wife... She has an interest in bling rather than an interest in watches so the white gold fluted bezel and diamond hour markers fits the bill. She likes it, but has no interest in watches as such... to the point that she even asks me to wind/set it when it's not been worn for a while.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My girlfriend wears a Casio waveceptor which she's had and dived in for yonks. It's well battered and she has no interest in changing it.

She informed me todaythat she had put me on mute and went for a wee while I was enthusiastically telling her about the difference between trit and luminova yesterday.

My girlfriend has little interest in watches, but I bought her a vintage 1601 Rolex with diamond set dial. To start with she would only wear it on weekends, but now it's pretty much all the time. I bought it head only, as it has a gold bezel, put it on a generic tt jubilee, now she is pestering me to get a genuine tt jubilee.

Master

Me!!

Must admit it's me who has got my wife all her best watches!! She would literally go out and get a Citizen or something similar but with crystals on the bezel :-0
    I got her a diamond bezel and dial Tag Heuer when my son was born but when my daughter came along I got rid of it and then she had a few mini Tudor subs and some Rolex but genuinely if it was up to her she would go any make but just current colours etc to go with her clothes?!
    She has hinted about a Citizen Eco Drive rose gold plated with crystals on the bezel which would be one of her cheapest watches. So I think in answer to your question its me who likes and buys them however if we get to a stage where money isn't an issue I predict she would go for a Diamond Bezel Tag again as a daily wearer and a Diamond bezel Rolex as a special occasion watch!!

Chris

ps I have bought her the Citizen for Christmas which was a bargain 50% off at £125!!!!!! Yehhhhh!!!!

Only as jewellery, she has a couple of datejusts which have been modified to pave diamond dials, she tends to wear the Christopher Ward a corum as they look more like bracelets than watches.

My wife really likes watches and has a few very nice ones. She prefers gents vintage watches and she will borrow my watches if she likes them.

Blog Entries
    My wife wears this... She prefers bigger watches... I brought it with the intent of borrowing it occasionally, but, I never ever get the chance... It's a wonderful watch

She tolerates my passion for watches, but, doesn't really share it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    My girlfriend doesn't care as long as she thinks it looks good. And the truth is that in terms of looks, there is always a less expensive alternative that looks similar to a haute horology brand.
    Same here. As happy with a gold Michael Kors as she would be with an 18k day date.

Master

Cool

I've supplied my entire family with my castoffs,I mean watches.My wife has a nice gents Rotary Quartz ,my daughter a nice vintage Omega and my son a vintage Longines and Omega connie pie pan .Fortunately my wife is very understanding when new watch appears,though having got my pension ' lump sum ' this may be put to the test.

Master
    My bird is interested in watches because i am interested in them (which probably means i talk about them too much)

her tastes were always quite reserved and she had always wanted a gucci bangle which I duley bought her even though its not something i particularly like. Then i got her a beautiful longines and finally a swatch system 51 (so she could keep the longines for best).

we also went to the PP exhibition at the Saatchi gallery so now her tastes have changed somewhat and now she wants "one of them pateks with the enamal globe on the dial"

Id best get saving!

My other half switches between a PRS-18Q and a Seiko 7002 for work.

Occasionally she'll wear one of my watches on a weekend, so I'm planning on getting her a Lady Datejust or Cartier Tank as a gift for our wedding next year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Id best get saving!
    You'd best get winning the lotto!

Craftsman
    I'm the watch nut in the partnership and the better half isn't interested. Something strange happened last year when she told me she wanted a watch for her birthday. I tried to talk her into various watches but in the end she decided she wanted something Radley branded. The watch she picked is very good looking and suits her, despite being the most basic of quartz movements inside. But it suits her and she likes it, she wears it more than her other watches. No amount of suggestion will get a Longines Conquest on her wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    She informed me todaythat she had put me on mute and went for a wee while I was enthusiastically telling her about the difference between trit and luminova yesterday.
    My ex often used to do the same, sometimes while I was actually talking to her in person. I don't know why, as it was always something really interesting.

Grand Master
    Right at the beginning of my wis journey, i got the mrs a Ballantine skeleton auto with swarovski crystals in the bezel. It wasn't long before i realised it was a bit tat and i've offered to replace it many times but she loves it!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    The wee wifey has a Daniel Wellington, as does this lady

Last edited by J J Carter; 20th December 2015 at 20:26.

Mine likes decent jewellery but has no interest in watches.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very nice fit!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Wifey likes the fashion stuff to be honest, but I took a punt on a midsize Yachtmaster a couple of years ago and it works really well.

Master
    Yep, but not as bad as me. She has a few Cartier and then for her 50th I gave her the choice of a new watch or other bling. She decided upon a black J12 (38mm which is the automatic, with Diamond hour markers). Suits her and is quite a nice watch overall, even if not my thing.

She always looks out for watches that I might like and makes suggestions for potential purchases I might like.

Master
    My wife has 2 panerais, 3 Rolex and a Cartier. Yeah. She likes watches.

And she buys all mine.

Tom 'spoil brat' White ;)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    We're in Spain for xmas and Mrs RJM is wearing this:-

Her "best watch" is this but she left it in the safe at home...

72 wesselton diamonds are the reason she picked that one!!!

She likes her diamonds, the girl!!

Regarding the SEL, She saw one the same on one of our shopping expeditions in Manchester at a pawn shop window (with some wear to the gold) and said she really liked it (the two tone design particularly)

Fast forward 3 or 4 months, and our son told me she'd been looking for a Michael kors rose gold crystal thing. I asked her which she'd prefer and she chose the 2 tone Tag, and it didn't cost much more!! Bought off eBay from a guy going traveling for the princely sum of £200!

Well my wife was happy with her 10 year old Rotory until she realised she was missing out. So in the past few years she had almost as many as me. She sold her Tissot Powermatic recently so she's currently down to just the 2. She has a Diamond Tag F1 similar to the one in the pics below and an Oris Aquis which she wears all of the time.

Journeyman
    My wife has no particular interest in watches, but took a shine to a couple of Nomos' a few years ago (Tangente and Tetra). She rotates those with a few plastic Swatches. She enjoys the notion of a handwind watch and its historical roots. As her profession requires her hands to be mucking around the insides of other people's bodies most days, she tends to not wear the Nomos' at work.

As with many things, what she decides to wear on her wrist is her business. I've found it best to offer zero input, or at most nod and smile.

Master
    My wife has become interested in nice looking watches over the years we have been together. No interest in the watches movement, its all in the look of the piece.

So far she has 3 watches, 2 omega constellations and an Jaegar Reverso, she's on the lookout for another one but has such a narrow criteria for what consitutes the right one that I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

It does mean that she's very tolerant of my watch hobby / interest and knows that we will never walk past a watch shop without looking in the window.

Craftsman
    Rolex Day Date (36mm) Tridor...she said she always wanted a President so I got one for her a few years back.

My wife has zero interest in watches, except that it keeps decent time and looks "smart" on her wrist at corporate committee meetings. This quartz Michele fills the bill nicely!

I've managed to turn mine into a bit of a brand snob

Craftsman
    Seems my OH is not the only one with a man's Datejust. Just bought her one for Christmas from Watchfinder, so that I can reclaim the Pam 312 that she seems to have had on permanent loan (ever since the pink Toshi strap went on it). She loves her Ladies Datejust which is her daily wearer, and a Baume et Mercier dress watch she's had for ever. We visited a couple of watch makers in Switzerland and Germany this year which was fascinating (well at least I thought so) and she thought that was more interesting than the car factory we also looked round...

Master
    My Mrs has no interest in watches. I bought her a Thomas Sabo watch that she liked for her birthday earlier in the year which she wears on occasions. I asked if she wanted another watch for Xmas to which she replied "why the hell would I want another watch for Xmas when I've already got one!" ... Women eh!? lol

Journeyman
    No real interest from my wife but I bought her a 26mm Datejust for her 40th which she loves. The added bonus was it earned me enough brownie points to buy a Daytona for myself with minimal aggro.

My fiancé loves watches.
    She owns a midsize tt datejust and a porsche design beater
    She also "borrows" my watches.

Mrs Cornholio wanted a watch for her birthday last year. It was such a job to find one that she was happy with. Spent AGES looking, had three different ones at home.

In the end I had one engraved so that she couldn't send it back.

Thankfully, now she has one she likes she doesn't want another.

I've offered my wife loads of tasty watches over the years but she realised she doesn't like mechanical and just likes her Gucci's or this old bashed up Tag.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My wife has an Omega Constellation, Raymond Weil, and a Rolex Date, all bought for particularly special events. She has no particular interest in watches, I think it's just that I can't get my head around buying anything else for the special gifts. Having said that, she does wear them, but has yet to master setting the time and winding the Rolex herself. It has only been two and a half years though!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

my wife has the midsize two tone version of this....the ivory plops on the white face are fab. That replaced a 31mm oyster, which replaced an Ebel. She likes watches, has no interest in the detail, and has tended to be a one-watch person. I can see that changing though !!!

Master
    The Mrs has a mid size yacht master and a 14060M Sub ,the mid size YM looks really well on her .

She did have her sights on a TT Zenith Daytona that I had as well !!
    The eldest daughter (21 next year ) wants a Date just which I think is a good choice and a classic piece .

Journeyman
    My wife doesn't share my interest as such. However, she does appreciate a watch for its design elements - she's an architect and goes nuts for modernist, minimalist design. With all that in mind, I bought her a Junghans Max Bill for xmas last year, and she loves it:

She's not bothered about automatic or quartz movements or anything like that, but I think she'd appreciate and wear a Nomos if she had one. Maybe something for her 40th.