closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Local knowledge required Canterbury

Local knowledge required Canterbury

Hi Guys
    Looks like I need to attend a cremation at Barham on Friday 22nd January 2016. I will be returning from the crem unlike my late aunt.
    I will travel by train and stay Thurs & Fri nights.
    Anyone with knowledge of suitable accommodation? A pub would do fine (cask ale of course) and bargain basement prices for this poor pensioner.

If I find somewhere - would a suggestion of a flashmob GTG be worth a punt?

Journeyman
    I live locally (about 10 miles away) and know the area very well. You say you are travelling by train - I presume somebody will be able to give you a lift to Barham as it's out in the sticks with no train station etc?

Do you want to stay in Canterbury city centre, or a country pub/hotel nearby? If you let me know I'll come up with some suggestions for you. Strangely, there aren't that many hotels in Canterbury itself, and some are quite pricey, so an idea of the budget would help as well. If you're thinking country pub you might need to think about how you're going to get around - there are some lovely villages around Barham and Canterbury, but getting around could be an issue.

Simon

Cheers Simon. Checking revealed that the funeral buffet is in the Evenhill Hotel, Littlebourne. There are rooms there so I booked for Thurs & Fri nights. Not keen on Shepherd Neame, but no real chance of much else in the Canterbury area I suppose!

What do you think about trying to generate a flashmob GTG on the Thurs 21st? Do you chaps down there indulge in such practices?

Master
    I'd certainly be up for it. It would be my first ever GTG!
    Last edited by KurtKlaus; 20th December 2015 at 12:55.

Journeyman
    Hi Alec,

Firstly, thanks for the PM. I'd need to check my work diary (I often work i Newcastle) but I'd be happy to meet up if people want to.

I know where the Evenhill Hotel is, but I've never been in there myself. I'm sure it'll be fine though, it looks nice enough when I've driven past! And obviously it makes perfect sense to stay there when the buffet is being held there.

Enjoy your stay, and maybe I'll see you next month .

Simon