closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Netgear Arlo CCTV anyone?

I'm not overly impressed with mine nowadays -

The camera's had a FW update a few months ago and the sensitivity now seems all over the place! I have two camera's on my front porch, one facing across the door to the left of the drive and the other doing the same to the right, the idea with this is that I can park my car either side of the door and it is always "in view". Before, when someone used to walk past it would trigger, hell, sometimes even the sun coming from behind a cloud triggered it! Nowadays you need to be around 6 feet from the camera before it starts recording and sensitivity is on 100%.

It's the same in the back garden, I have one high up looking down on all the doors which access the rear of the property. Now, if you just walk past slowly, the camera only triggers when you are really close so you only get a snippet of your head as you walk past and not the "approach" like you used to.

It's a fair system but not what it used to be, I'm now looking at a proper system which (even with 3mp camera) will be circa £600 fully installed.

Master
    Can anyone advise - it seems that the cameras use the Camera base units own wifi rather than my wifi network.

The reason this is a problem is that I need to use range extenders to get the signal around the house and through the external walls.

How do I get the cameras to use my extended home wifi network and not the base units own weaker wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Can anyone advise - it seems that the cameras use the Camera base units own wifi rather than my wifi network.

The reason this is a problem is that I need to use range extenders to get the signal around the house and through the external walls.

How do I get the cameras to use my extended home wifi network and not the base units own weaker wifi?
    I could be wrong, but my understanding (from this link) is that the way to extend the overall range is to use two base stations. Is it likely that two bases could be positioned to cover your cameras and so that each can connect to your router?

Master
    Well I find that very surprising.

Back to Amazon it'll have to go!

Shame as it was easy to set up and seemed quite nifty.

PS thanks for the reply

Craftsman
    The wi-fi from the Arlo base station is proprietary, works in low power mode, which is what helps the battery life.

So the limitation of Arlo is really the range of the base station.

You can supplement the system with Arlo-Q cameras which work over your "regular" wi-fi network (or over ethernet) and integrate into the same system. Thats what I do to reach the extremes of my property.

Any ideas on a problem I've got?

Set my cameras up at the end of March. Batteries seemed to be doing well - yesterday one showing 73% the other 67%. However this morning I've received an alert saying the one showing 67% is low and has 6%. Logged on and it's down to 4%.

How reliable is the battery data via the app? However something has completely shot one of mine.

I've just bought a set - reading the thread im hoping there will be no buyers remorse ;)
    That being said a colleague mentioned he had had battery issues after about a year and had replaced with some third party ones which seemed much better. Not sure if you want to go down that route but if you do investigate your options carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Any ideas on a problem I've got?

Set my cameras up at the end of March. Batteries seemed to be doing well - yesterday one showing 73% the other 67%. However this morning I've received an alert saying the one showing 67% is low and has 6%. Logged on and it's down to 4%.

How reliable is the battery data via the app? However something has completely shot one of mine.
    I bought a kit a few weeks ago
    I had the same issue
    I re set the system and it seems to have sorted itself out. Both cameras showing 95+% now.

For those thinking of buying an arlo there is a know problem with the daytime camera firing the image pink /red this also happened to me, but a quick email to net gear resulted in a brand new camera arriving the next day.

I was initially rather disappointed with the system and these 2 issues but net gear customer service was first class and 4 weeks on it is working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I bought a kit a few weeks ago
    I had the same issue
    I re set the system and it seems to have sorted itself out. Both cameras showing 95+% now.

For those thinking of buying an arlo there is a know problem with the daytime camera firing the image pink /red this also happened to me, but a quick email to net gear resulted in a brand new camera arriving the next day.

I was initially rather disappointed with the system and these 2 issues but net gear customer service was first class and 4 weeks on it is working as intended.
    Thanks for the reply.

Was that a full system reset requiring setting up again? Or reset of each camera?

Thanks for the reply.

Was that a full system reset requiring setting up again? Or reset of each camera?
    I reset each camera and also re synced both.
    If it persists try their support, theybare good in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I reset each camera and also re synced both.
    If it persists try their support, theybare good in my experience.
    cheers, will get the ladders out when the rain stops

Craftsman
    You would be surprised how often you get the odd dodgy battery. I have had a few in the last couple of years. Each time I pull the batteries out and find out 2 or 3 are fine, like 75% full and 1 or 2 of the others have dropped way off.

You only need one out of the 4 to drop the voltage out of spec for the battery indicator algorithm in the Arlo camera to change. Then you end up with it jumping down quickly. Reality is it might sit on 14% for another month or two...you just dont know if the battery isnt putting out rated voltage any more.

Dont replace the battery until you get the message at 2% to get max life out of them....or upgrade to rechargeables, that may not last quite as long but at least you save money long term

Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    You would be surprised how often you get the odd dodgy battery. I have had a few in the last couple of years. Each time I pull the batteries out and find out 2 or 3 are fine, like 75% full and 1 or 2 of the others have dropped way off.

You only need one out of the 4 to drop the voltage out of spec for the battery indicator algorithm in the Arlo camera to change. Then you end up with it jumping down quickly. Reality is it might sit on 14% for another month or two...you just dont know if the battery isnt putting out rated voltage any more.

Dont replace the battery until you get the message at 2% to get max life out of them....or upgrade to rechargeables, that may not last quite as long but at least you save money long term
    Theres definitely something odd happening. The battery was showing at 4% so I took it down, took the batteries out and on putting back in its gone up to 12%. Seems to have sat at that since. I changed the camera to one I'd not fully set up yet 30hrs later that hasn't budged % wise.

Saying that, I read that if the camera is far from the base station, it can cause rapid battery drain. The one that has plummetted, I moved to a new location about 3 weeks ago and is pretty far away.

To be honest I'm debating going for a hard wired system. The arlo has been good up to now but since moving the camera I'm not so sure it meets my needs with the wifi.

Blog Entries
    The wi-fi from the Arlo base station is proprietary, works in low power mode, which is what helps the battery life.

So the limitation of Arlo is really the range of the base station.

You can supplement the system with Arlo-Q cameras which work over your "regular" wi-fi network (or over ethernet) and integrate into the same system. Thats what I do to reach the extremes of my property.
    Thats interesting, we're moving soon and this might be needed on our new property.
    Ian

Has anyone added the pro camera to the 1st Gen system?

I'm considering just getting the pro cam for the porch area for two reasons firstly it's the most used camera so the rechargeable battery will help and secondly the two way audio.

Everything else will still be the 1st Gen.

Anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post

I'm considering just getting the pro cam for the porch area for two reasons firstly it's the most used camera so the rechargeable battery will help and secondly the two way audio.

Anyone done this?
    Is this of any use: Do Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras work with my existing Arlo base station?

Craftsman

Anyone done this?
    Yes, I have a mix of original wire free, Pro, Q, and Go (4g) they all work fine together.

The key difference from the app perspective is that any cameras connected to a single base station can be controlled via that, the others appear as separate devices in the app i.e.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Has anyone purchased any rechargeable batteries for the Arlo HD cameras as mine are now showing signs of failing. I will also need a suitable charger as the ones Arlo recommended aren't available in the UK.

Read some battery reviews on Amazon only to find that they aren't compatible with the cameras despite stating that they are in the description.

Thanks

B

Thanks for the info.

I get they are interchangeable but forgetting the camera upgrades for now what benefits does the Arlo Pro base unit give over the previous gen (USB port is the only one I can find)

Also what would a 8 month old Arlo 5 camera set up be worth as I might just sell mine and get the Arlo pro kit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Has anyone purchased any rechargeable batteries for the Arlo HD cameras as mine are now showing signs of failing. I will also need a suitable charger as the ones Arlo recommended aren't available in the UK.

Read some battery reviews on Amazon only to find that they aren't compatible with the cameras despite stating that they are in the description.

Thanks

B
    Haven't used rechargeables in mine but tbh the batteries can be found for reasonable prices on eBay amazon etc so wouldn't bother. Mine last about 6 months so I just factor it in as a running cost.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info.

I get they are interchangeable but forgetting the camera upgrades for now what benefits does the Arlo Pro base unit give over the previous gen (USB port is the only one I can find)

Also what would a 8 month old Arlo 5 camera set up be worth as I might just sell mine and get the Arlo pro kit.
    Arlo pro base station is smaller, has USB and supports local storage as backup, also has a loud siren. Otherwise interchangeable.

You can use Arlo pro cameras with the "older" Arlo base station and mix n match as you wish.

The rechargeable or mains power option on the Arlo pro cameras, are the key upgrades on those (cameras are a bit better too)

Arlo pro base station is smaller, has USB and supports local storage as backup, also has a loud siren. Otherwise interchangeable.

You can use Arlo pro cameras with the "older" Arlo base station and mix n match as you wish.

The rechargeable or mains power option on the Arlo pro cameras, are the key upgrades on those (cameras are a bit better too)
    Yes I did originally think I'd swap a 2-3 of my cameras for the Pro's (only use 4 now) but then that's about £600 and the Arlo Pro 4 camera kit is £800ish so I thought maybe just sell my 5 camera set up and start again.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Haven't used rechargeables in mine but tbh the batteries can be found for reasonable prices on eBay amazon etc so wouldn't bother. Mine last about 6 months so I just factor it in as a running cost.
    Thanks, mine lasted around 3-4 months.
    Currently looking at buying the Nitecore L166 protected batteries as its been reported on Netgears site that these work with the Arlo HD's as many other rechargeable batteries don't.

B

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sadly, all the things I said about these seems to be coming true, new they are very efficient in battery usage, but as they age they seem to fail, again sadly, great idea but it will be a few years yet, before we can just pop these on the wall and let them do their thing.

POE and wired set ups are still the choice of pro's

on a side note, fitted a Ring doorbell today, on battery, with the plug in chime inside the house, as a doorbell fine, Ring to iphone after network was set up, and phone on 4G? over 4 seconds before any alert, and yes I know this is not everyone experience.

again great idea, but too dependent on home wifi strength and signal, customer (very pretty 24 year old single girl) was not impressed, on a plus side, we sat together on her double bed, for a long time and she smelled wonderful (router in bedroom)

she had jean shorts and crop top on, bending over a lot to restart router, and natural redhead into the bargain, just told the missus about it, all I got from her is 'you wish' and to be fair I did.

and no Cilla has not hijacked my log in lol
    Last edited by soundood; 3rd August 2017 at 21:57.

Blog Entries
    Anyone had a problem with a failing camera? Kept turning itself off so replaced batteries a couple of weeks ago and all fine but just checked and it's been offline for 5 days again! Other 2 cameras are fine but this one is really testing my patience

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Anyone had a problem with a failing camera? Kept turning itself off so replaced batteries a couple of weeks ago and all fine but just checked and it's been offline for 5 days again! Other 2 cameras are fine but this one is really testing my patience
    I've had this occur a couple of times to be honest. I'm thinking of going for a full wired system as whilst the arlo is a cracking bit of kit I find it is buggy at times.

All 3 of mine have failed (image went pink) but thankfully Amazon replaced for new a few weeks ago.

A good basic system but has its flaws, I may sell and get a proper install in September.

Master
    not arlo but we have been using a Canary camera for a few months now and so far so good, no problems at all..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    All 3 of mine have failed (image went pink) but thankfully Amazon replaced for new a few weeks ago.

A good basic system but has its flaws, I may sell and get a proper install in September.
    The one that failed had a pink hue to it, now it just won't stay on. I may email Arlo and see what they say, I've been very happy with the system up to now

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post

I'm having issues with mine and will be contacting Amazon too. Batteries are odd, sometimes I can't connect and freezes quite a bit.

Giving up myself - it's served a purpose but I'm going for an installed version too in the next few weeks.

Blog Entries
    Righto, it's packed in all together now. Won't sync, won't turn on at all. I've contacted Arlo so will see what happens but looks like a VERY common problem. Luckily I'd bought an extra so have taken down the front door camera to cover garage/car so fingers crossed no more failures

Blog Entries
    Quick update, a couple of emails to Arlo and they sent out a replacement so can't fault the customer service at all

Amazon fully replaced my system (I actually feel my issue was poor wifi at home). Likewise superb CS for this. I'm going hardwired with a hikvision system though and sold the arlo last week on here

One of my 3 cameras keeps discharging the battery far too quickly.
    Seems very very common and also seems to suffer with losing signal which is strange as it's the closest camera to the base unit.
    Losing patience with it

Craftsman
    Arlo is on offer today with Amazon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    One of my 3 cameras keeps discharging the battery far too quickly.
    Seems very very common and also seems to suffer with losing signal which is strange as it's the closest camera to the base unit.
    Losing patience with it
    CR123 batteries or the rechargeable Pro ?

I have had issues with my Arlo wire free on CR123, its surprising how variable they can be, even the "best" duracell, energizer etc. You only need 1 cell to drop its voltage in a few weeks and it takes down the overall voltage then the camera algorithm drops to 18% left. In reality they last another 3-4 months, just show 18% for a lot of the time.

Not usually an issue as customer dont notice such things when the batteries are in other consumer electronics...but in these cameras where you get battery warning messages at regular intervals, it can cause unnecessary concern......

Master
    If you've got an Arlo a quick reminder to check it periodically.

I'd not logged onto mine for a while when a neighbour came over to say their car had been stolen and wandering if my camera had picked anything up. Checked the cameras, all 3 dead. Quick Prime order for replacement batteries and all now up and running, but the system had been down for a few weeks and I hadn't noticed.

Still, maybe a deterrent if nothing else!

There have been a few break ins on my estate so I'm trying most things to make my house less attractive than my neighbours. Anti snap locks, lock on the back gate, Arlo camera system and I've just had 2 security lights fitted (I would recommend these, they Police believe thieves may have hid in my neighbours garden part of the evening to see where the keys were put, in my garden they would be well and truly lit up!)

CR123 batteries or the rechargeable Pro ?

I have had issues with my Arlo wire free on CR123, its surprising how variable they can be, even the "best" duracell, energizer etc. You only need 1 cell to drop its voltage in a few weeks and it takes down the overall voltage then the camera algorithm drops to 18% left. In reality they last another 3-4 months, just show 18% for a lot of the time.

Not usually an issue as customer dont notice such things when the batteries are in other consumer electronics...but in these cameras where you get battery warning messages at regular intervals, it can cause unnecessary concern......
    CR123.

I have removed one camera completely as it continues to burn through batteries too quickly.

As has been said - a wired system is a far better solution although when Arlo works, it does provide a little more peace of mind.

Craftsman
    I'm considering to buy 1 or 2 Arlo Go's (4G), would appreciate to hear all pro's and con's?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    CR123.

I have removed one camera completely as it continues to burn through batteries too quickly.

As has been said - a wired system is a far better solution although when Arlo works, it does provide a little more peace of mind.
    I had one like that, 3 sets of batteries it went through before I got a decent set in it. It surprising, the poor quality of the batteries you buy off the shelf. Ive tried a few brands now and gone back to duracell.

Pull the batteries out when it tells you they have gone too quick, test them and you will find them 80% charged or so, just the voltage output has dropped out of spec.

the biggest criticism of the original Arlo batteries (like we both have) was the batteries, hence the later Pro model, had its own spec rechargeable battery

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    I'm considering to buy 1 or 2 Arlo Go's (4G), would appreciate to hear all pro's and con's?
    I have an Arlo Go (4G) had it on beta trial. I have been using it at the bottom of the garden, and also tested it out as a live streaming camera on my motorbike. Its a bit bulky, and theres the 30min timeout on live streaming, otherwise works great. You can give someone the link and they can log in live to view the video stream.

It works the same as the other Arlo, larger battery as its got a 4G modem in it, needs more power, probably lasts me 4 weeks on avg. Works anywhere in mobile coverage range, so its really completely standalone security solution. If you put the solar panel on, you could leave it indefinitely in place for remote monitoring.

Vodafone are selling them now with a £4 a month unlimited data sim, best deal out there...noticed Vodafone spain had a black friday deal on them 189Euro . You would need a UK adapter to charge it, otherwise got to be the cheapest way to get your hands on one http://www.vodafone.es/c/particulare...os-conectados/

Craftsman
    Thanks Bogie; useful info for me.

Have to check on the solar-panel; 4 weeks battery life seems a bit short to me. But first need to contact Arlo; just noticed that they aren't offering Arlo Go in the Netherlands yet...

Jack

btw: 'beta trial' means that software is still in development status?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Thanks Bogie; useful info for me.

Have to check on the solar-panel; 4 weeks battery life seems a bit short to me. But first need to contact Arlo; just noticed that they aren't offering Arlo Go in the Netherlands yet...

Jack

btw: 'beta trial' means that software is still in development status?
    I got it when on beta trial of the hardware, which was about 6 months ago. Arlo has been around for a couple of years. It was the new Arlo GO mobile 4G camera that has since launched in USA and Europe. You can buy arlo Go online in Spain, Germany, UK, Italy from Vodafone. The Vodafone V-sim works worldwide on the Vodafone network so it does not matter where you are located geographically.

the battery life is usage dependent. With say 10 x 30min clips per day it may last 6 weeks on Arlo GO

Arlo wi-fi cameras battery last about 4-6 months in the same scenario

Craftsman
    You can buy arlo Go online in Spain, Germany, UK, Italy from Vodafone. The Vodafone V-sim works worldwide on the Vodafone network so it does not matter where you are located geographically.

the battery life is usage dependent. With say 10 x 30min clips per day it may last 6 weeks on Arlo GO

Arlo wi-fi cameras battery last about 4-6 months in the same scenario
    Again very useful info, thanks!

4 camera kit £299 on Amazon today if anyone interested.

Master
    4 camera kit £299 on Amazon today if anyone interested.
    Just had a look. The 4 camera pro kit is a whopping £770! and £203 for an additional pro camera. My USA bought 4 camera pro set up is still working fine. Much cheaper over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Just had a look. The 4 camera pro kit is a whopping £770! and £203 for an additional pro camera. My USA bought 4 camera pro set up is still working fine. Much cheaper over there.
    Try the Today's Deals of the Day: link. Current offer ends at midnight...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Try the Today's Deals of the Day: link. Current offer ends at midnight...
    Thanks. That does look like good value for the non-pro version.

Just purchased the 4 camera off amazon, thanks for the heads up / link ;)

Blog Entries
    At £299 for the 4 camera kit I am sold! Thank you gentlemen! (Fingers crossed it works ok)