closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rum

Master
    Blog Entries
    For the price it's hard to beat Havana Club as an everyday rum choice. The 3yr makes awesome Mojitos, the 7yr/Especial are perfect in Cuba Libras or straight.

If you want to settle down in front of the fire/TV with a glass however higher aged rums such as El Dorado, Diplomatico, Zacapa, Appleton, Flor de Cana etc are better choices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another big goslings fan here, i also have these in the collection.

Santiago de Cuba anjo
    Pampero annivarsario
    Morgan's spiced

Forgotten how good the 10 year from RL Searle is. I know I've a tendency towards Bajan rums at the expense of others, but it seems pretty good at the price... everything an aged rum should be.

Really enjoying the Kraken, pronounced vanilla taste and relatively sweet, pleasant nonetheless to sip

Master
    I'll second the recommendation for Flora de Cana, it is a great producer. The 7 and 12 yr old rums are fantastic.

The single best run I've ever had was Centenario Ron 30 yr old Limited Edition. It is expensive in Europe (135 Euros seems to be the going rate ) but if you happen to be in Costa Rica, a bottle is about $75US. Well worth the money for a very complex, slightly less-sweet than might be expected sipping rum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Nice. Big fan of Bajan rum.

Used to sit there on the porch drinking rum and lime over ice, listening to the sound of the turtles hatching...
    We're here at the moment. Our housekeeper bought a bottle of Mount Gay XO https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-...productReviews when I asked her to get us a 1ltr of mixing rum and I have to say it really isn't bad at all for a blended rum. its almost too good to mix but then equally is sublime mixed with Coke or juice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    mount gay rum is also superb with ginger beer.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    mount gay rum is also superb with ginger beer.
    Agreed. A nice dark and Stormy!!

Tried a couple of spiced rums, but found them pretty unpleasant really (the bottle of Captain Morgans was mostly used for cakes!).

Woods 100 is my favourite, but I've never tried any really expensive ones, I'll admit.

M.

Master
    I'm no expert on rum but I know when I have this at home it seems to somehow dissipate into thin air within a week, easily.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Agreed. A nice dark and Stormy!!
    I've met a few ladies over here that go by that description ;)

Craftsman
    Has anybody tried Pyrat XO as I saw it for sale in a bar in Whitby and was quite a bit more expensive than the others.

These days I only drink rum straight. I have a bottle of Goslings family reserve and also a bottle of 21 year old El Dorado. The El Dorado is smooth, sweet and has a great complex taste. An excellent rum to have with a Montecristo, I would recommend it at its price.

The goslings is nice, not sweet and slightly harsh, but nice in its on way, although I am sure there are better rums for the price.

edit: I revisited the goslings last night and it is better than I had thought. It has a unique taste which is very nice, coffee with notes of vanilla and caramel and it is less harsh than I imagined, possibly because the bottle has been open a few weeks?
    Last edited by studly; 3rd January 2016 at 13:31.

Heads up. Caribbean spiced Rum £10 at ASDA....................

http://groceries.asda.com/product/ru...m/910000044242

Tired some agricole from Guadeloupe last night, Rhum Vieux Bielle, distilled on Marie Galante (a small island off the coast) in 2006 and bottled in 2011. Woody, not sure if it was aged in new oak or bourbon casks, to be honest, but very nice. Seems to be about £40/50cl. Very unusual. As you know, agricole is made from sugar cane, rather than molasses. Would make an incredible Old Fashioned, i imagine. Might have to seek out a bit more of this...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Heads up. Caribbean spiced Rum £10 at ASDA....................

http://groceries.asda.com/product/ru...m/910000044242
    Good spot, might give it a go at that price (£10). The only problem is I will have to actually go to an ASDA. Would anyone be willing to go for me?

;-p

Master
    Amazon did a lightening deal on this £60ish to £40ish I think it was, and it arrived today :-)

It's the 15 year XO variant.

Master
    Do you drink that straight or with something in it? - My father was a devotee of rum (navy man)

Never tried it really - would like to

B

Craftsman
    Have you tried it yet? I picked up the standard Rumbullion in a similar deal (think it was down to 20-23 quid) but wasn't overly impressed with it. Think it will be OK in cocktails..or given to guests..!

I usually drink Appleton VX which is their standard golden rum. With coke and a big wedge of lime.

If you want to push the boat out, try Ron Zacapa

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Do you drink that straight or with something in it?
    Straight - I am absolutely not a connoisseur of rum, or indeed of alcohol at all, but I just find it more pleasing to drink these spiced rums straight

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Have you tried it yet? I picked up the standard Rumbullion in a similar deal (think it was down to 20-23 quid) but wasn't overly impressed with it. Think it will be OK in cocktails..or given to guests..!
    Haven't tried the "Professor Cornelius Ampleforth Rumbullion! XO 15 Years Old" (to give it it's full title, which is awesome!).

Reviews are good for this one over the "standard", and it looks right up my street. For me, a fantastic looking bottle somehow makes it taste better! Placebo?!

Of note, it's only a 500ml bottle, not your typical 750ml (which I didn't realise till it arrived, despite being in the title of the advert on Amazon - d'oh!) so it had better be good. In any case, the wax seal was a little damaged in transport, so Amazon said they'd send another one out free of charge, and I can keep the original... plus I did the gift card deal where I got a £7 credit for buying £30 of gift cards, so I ended up with £120 worth for £35! Will taste even better now!

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    Update: loving Kraken with ginger beer. Not as much as Mrs Stifflersmom though so will have to restock before New Year. I'll try Sailor Jerry next.
    That's how I drink Kracken, top tip, add a small pour of lime juice before adding the Kracken and ginger beer and finish off with a few matchstick size pieces of fresh ginger. Amazing combination and the lime juice just lifts it.

Craftsman
    So what would people recommend as a dark rum for say £20 - £25?

Master
    Dark rum or spiced rum?

The latter (spiced) - seems to be Kraken or Sailor Jerry (never ended up trying the latter myself)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Dark rum or spiced rum?
    Dark please. We drink Captain Morgan Spiced rum which is lovely (IMO) & we've almost gone through the Barcardi (white), but I'd like a dark rum again. The last I had was a bottle that I bought back from the Dominican years ago - it didn't last.

Master
    I'm afraid I've never had any dark rum - just the spiced Kraken! My experience of rum starts and ends there, until I try my Rumbullion!.

I am positive others will contribute though, if they havent already above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Have you tried it yet?
    (re: Rumbullion! XO 15 Year Aged)

OK, have tried it and I really dont like it!

It's not like the (lovely) Kraken at all!

Yeuck!

And I have a second bottle arriving from Amazon tomorrow! Wished I hadnt bothered - it tastes like a completely different type of drink to Kraken.

Might have to mix it with coke and drink it that way, which I suppose is anathema to most!

(re: Rumbullion! XO 15 Year Aged)

OK, have tried it and I really dont like it!

It's not like the (lovely) Kraken at all!

Yeuck!

And I have a second bottle arriving from Amazon tomorrow! Wished I hadnt bothered - it tastes like a completely different type of drink to Kraken.

Might have to mix it with coke and drink it that way, which I suppose is anathema to most!
    This really doesn't surprise me at all.

Kraken is to traditional spiced rum as Fireball is to whisky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    This really doesn't surprise me at all.

Kraken is to traditional spiced rum as Fireball is to whisky.
    Haha sorry I happily admit I am a heathen when it comes to rum and alcohol in general - as I keep saying I am not a connoisseur and other than a pre-Xmas blip am generally teetotal other than a single night cap, late on, once or twice a week (that's when I drink my Kraken).

Maybe I should stick to my fizzy water

Sorry. I should have been more helpful. Kraken is remarkably easy to drink. Vanilla, liquorice and molasses seem to be the predominant flavours that most identify, so perhaps best to go for something that has a similar flavour profile? The one you had was a 15yo. Kraken is 1/2 years old (from memory). The green spices in the Rumbullion are quite different to Kraken - hence wasn't really surprised you didn't like it...

Haha sorry I happily admit I am a heathen when it comes to rum and alcohol in general - as I keep saying I am not a connoisseur and other than a pre-Xmas blip am generally teetotal other than a single night cap, late on, once or twice a week (that's when I drink my Kraken).

Maybe I should stick to my fizzy water

Master
    Yes, I thought Rumbullion! XO was essentially the same as Kraken, but it really really isn't. Not for me, but you have to try new things!

This thread makes me want to drink!

Big fan of Flor de Cana! 10 Cane is also good. Can't go wrong with Morgan's Spiced with loads of fresh lime when out and about!

Master
    I have always been a "bourbon" man (I use the term loosely to encompass all those Kentucky / Sour Mash / Bourbony type drinks - I am not an expert, though I do enjoy it).

Anyway, bizarrely I saw a thread here on chilli-oil, where someone had made some and put in in a Kraken Rum bottle, which somehow ended up in me buying a bottle of Kraken Rum, despite having never drunk rum before (other than Bacardi and coke!). I just really liked the bottle!

Well, it was amazing, and is my new favourite drink! I think it's the "spiced" part that I particularly enjoy.

So, any rum experts here care to make any suggestions?

Arrrrrrrr!

A quick question if I may - are both those bottles of Kraken the same variant ??

or is the white bottle a special ?

Got myself a bottle of Flor de Cana recently, so this is my current selection. I think I'm still more fond of the Diplomatico, but it's still a very nice drink. I treated myself to a set of whiskey rocks too, so it was a good day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A quick question if I may - are both those bottles of Kraken the same variant ??

or is the white bottle a special ?
    Exactly the same contents, just the bottle itself was a special edition (it'sa ceramic "pot" type bottle).

As far as I can tell it isnt routinely available and is hard to buy - I just stumbled upon it on an Amazon deal-of-the-day offer over Christmas.

It is a pretty awesome thing!

Craftsman
    I use Appleton as a standard for making Rum & Coke. or cocktails in the summer.

Master
    Exactly the same contents, just the bottle itself was a special edition (it'sa ceramic "pot" type bottle).

As far as I can tell it isnt routinely available and is hard to buy - I just stumbled upon it on an Amazon deal-of-the-day offer over Christmas.

It is a pretty awesome thing!
    Many thanks for the answer - I noted that the Kraken is on offer in Morrisons for £19 - but all sold out when I was in on Friday.

Cheers !

B

Banned
    Goslings Black Seal

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

Often available in waitrose c£20
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but wanted to say a big thank you for the recommendations on this thread. I was looking for some rum as sipping drink, I have had Lambs in the past which I didn't like so was not looking for a spiced rum, and have had rum in cocktails (mojito and the like) went with above which is just beautiful, and have been drinking it for the last couple of nights. I got mine from Sainsbury's for £26 which was the full price rather than a special, I will definitely purchase again.

I'm a big rum drinker and tried most of the suggestions on this thread.

One that no-one has mentioned yet is Red Leg, very smooth due to vanilla and ginger infusions, but if you like Kraken (which I do) you should like Red Leg. I actually prefer it and it's now my rum of choice.

http://redlegrum.com/red-leg-rum/
    Last edited by Nuisance Value; 17th April 2016 at 00:46. Reason: website

Just spotted Havana Club Añejo 3 Años, 7 Años and Especial on sale in Tescos, 7 Años is a fantastic drop on the rocks with a lime wedge..

Journeyman
    Mount Gay XO is my 'go to' for sipping.

Green Island Spiced Rum is nice - not too sweet like Kraken and new style Sailor Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just spotted Havana Club Añejo 3 Años, 7 Años and Especial on sale in Tescos, 7 Años is a fantastic drop on the rocks with a lime wedge..
    About ten years ago i had a penchant for Añejo & Coke with a Montecristo no.2! The Añejo is pretty good for a rum you can buy anywhere, although i haven't had it straight.

Master
    Picked up 1.75l of Kraken black spiced rum today for under £20 ( I'm in Florida ).
    I've been drinking dark and stormys all evening and very nice too.

Craftsman
    Ron Zacapa 23 years. Try it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    Ron Zacapa 23 years. Try it

^^ what he said!

Craftsman
    It's a 23 years old rum from Guatemala

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Picked up 1.75l of Kraken black spiced rum today for under £20 ( I'm in Florida ).
    I've been drinking dark and stormys all evening and very nice too.
    I think an unspiced dark rum makes a much nicer D&S!