closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail Rant

Master

Royal Mail Rant

Last week I bought a lovely Explorer II head only from MattMoore. He very kindly sent it out with a couple of natos and a generic oyster bracelet so I could wear it straight away. Fantastic chap.

It was sent out RMSD pre 9am and I made sure I was in to receive it before I had to head out. It got to about 8.45 and I was listening for the door buzzer to go off. Nothing. I heard some footsteps coming up the communal stairwell and stop outside my door. I opened it just in case it was the postman and I caught him by surprise filling out an attempted delivery note. No attempt to ring the doorbell or knock on the door. Anyway I got the delivery, just.

Moving on, I bought a 78790 bracelet to replace the generic one and it was due to be delivered by RMSD pre 1pm today. I was in all morning waiting for this sneaky postman to deliver my package, knowing that he probably wouldn't knock or even attempt to deliver the package.

It gets to 1pm and lo and behold, no delivery or attempted delivery. I refresh the tracking number and it turns out that it had been signed for at about midday by someone else in my block. Obviously the signature is an illegible squiggle so I have no chance of trying to figure out who has it. I have asked my immediate neighbours but they are either out or say they do not have it.

I called up RM and explained the situation and to be fair they were pretty helpful and raised and 'internal investigation' and told me they will contact the local depot and speak to the individual and find out exactly where he delivered my package.

Very very frustrating and for the moment I have lost all faith in the RM and this particular incompetent postman.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Anyone experience anything similar?
    Yes. We've recently moved house, and whilst the property isn't immediately obvious from the nearby lane - it's not like no-one has ever lived here. So Royal Mail.... know where it is.

So far RM, and all the usual suspect couriers have been hopeless*. So, it being Christmas and me wanting to ensure deliveries arrive, I've reverted to getting things sent to the old place (which we still own) and my work address.

(* postman has been better since my wife explained the magic runes that indicate whether we're in or not...)
    Last edited by Tomw2000; 15th December 2015 at 17:37.

One of the things I love about DPD is that you can track the delivery van on a map as it gets closer to your house, so you know exactly when it arrives. If you're not there and somone else signs for it, you can see a photo of the front door on the website so you know exactly where it's gone.

Royal Mail will never be as good as that, but it's worth making friends with your regular postman, as you'll be seeing a lot of him!

I have in the past but in my experience it's the luck of the draw as to whether you have a good postie or a complete plank. Those unfortunate enough to live on a delivery route that's filled using overtime generally have posties that fall into the latter camp. My postie for the last 5 years is the regular one for my particular delivery and is absolutely brilliant so I make sure he gets a decent christmas tip this time of year.

My Postie is superb, but on Wednesdays (his day off) all the wheels come off! The stand-in is useless.

Same with couriers IMHO. It is usually down to the individual drivers attitude, although most seem to be tasked with ludicrous delivery times and targets. I have had good and bad experiences with all of them.

Master
    When I can, I choose DPD as the courier. My regular DPD driver, Dave, is a gent and always gets a good tip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    When I can, I choose DPD as the courier. My regular DPD driver, Dave, is a gent and always gets a good tip.
    DPD keep throwing parcels over our fence and leaving them in the rain. there'll be little in the way of tips for them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    One of the things I love about DPD is that you can track the delivery van on a map as it gets closer to your house, so you know exactly when it arrives. If you're not there and somone else signs for it, you can see a photo of the front door on the website so you know exactly where it's gone.

Royal Mail will never be as good as that, but it's worth making friends with your regular postman, as you'll be seeing a lot of him!

Yeah, DPD are very impressive (although I've no complaints about my postman).

I was at my parent's last week when I got a mail to say a parcel was being delivered in 30 minutes (a couple of days earlier than expected, so no-one was in).

I replied to the mail and requested it be left at the back of the house and, sure enough, around 30 minutes later I got a mail with a photo (may have been a link in the mail, I forget now) showing the parcel sitting outside my back door!

Really good quality service IMO.

M

THe sooner RM is sold off, stripped and made history the better. 50% of Xmas card received have been opened to check for cash this year..........

Employs useless, idle tossers...........people who run it are much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I have in the past but in my experience it's the luck of the draw as to whether you have a good postie or a complete plank. Those unfortunate enough to live on a delivery route that's filled using overtime generally have posties that fall into the latter camp. My postie for the last 5 years is the regular one for my particular delivery and is absolutely brilliant so I make sure he gets a decent christmas tip this time of year.
    Same here, the blokes great know him for years, always get him something for Christmas.

Master
    Update: a neighbour in a completely different building has just very kindly dropped it round.

I still think RM are mostly incompetent.

Master
    Funnily enough, I got a text from DPD once that said my driver, KHunt, would be delivering my parcel between 1019-1119.

Made me snigger anyway....

Craftsman
    My postie is excellent, hides parcels in my kayak if I'm out.

My Hermes dropped a laptop over a neighbours fence in the rain a week or so ago (left in a secure location).

Pot luck I'd say, with every company you get bad eggs.

DPD beat RMSD hands down.

Live tracking and ability to change delivery etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I have been having problems with Amazon deliveries done by Amazon Logistics lately.
    2 weeks ago, I was out when they attempted to deliver. They updated the tracking information to say it was left with 'John' at number 42 (I live at 34). They posted a card through my door saying they had actually left it in my dustbin out the front.
    Last week, I ordered something for same day delivery, it was marked as dispatched but never turned up, had to request a refund.
    Sunday, ordered something for next day delivery, it didn't arrive. Today, they tried to deliver it when I wasn't at home, this time it was left with 'Ket' at number 44. Except the CCTV I have covering my porch clearly captured the driver leaving it in the entrance to my porch, with a dustbin lid on it. I don't mind them leaving it in a safe place, but why lie about where they have put it?

Craftsman
    Amazon, for me, have good days and bad days, i signed up for prime just over two years ago. Due to their delays in getting prime deliveries to me on time I stil have over 3 months left before I have to renew, so £79 over 27 months has been good value for me. Our office is in a rural area and the latest 'amazon logistics' drivers seem to be having problems with, they are in the right place but their little handheld computer things tell them they are in the wrong place, leads to "it's for you but I'm in the wrong place so it won't let me deliver it"!!! the best one so far is they delivered an item, value over £300 but their computer says it is lost so they refunded even though I have confirmed delivery?!?

When the posty was filling out the no one in form on your step and you caught him, what did he have to say as you grabbed him by the scruff and asked him " WTF are you doing" ?
    Secondly I hope you mentioned this incident when you called them up about the signed for bracelet.
    Drop the lazy bar steward right in the shit 'cos clearly he's not doing his job correctly and needs removing from it.

Swine !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    When the posty was filling out the no one in form on your step and you caught him, what did he have to say as you grabbed him by the scruff and asked him " WTF are you doing" ?
    Secondly I hope you mentioned this incident when you called them up about the signed for bracelet.
    Drop the lazy bar steward right in the shit 'cos clearly he's not doing his job correctly and needs removing from it.

Swine !
    He just offered me the signing pad thing and didn't say anything. Mumbled something then toddled off.

From now on I'll be getting RMSD to the office.

Banned
    whatever blunder they make they only ever repay the postage,its a massive con.

is your letter box downstairs, where is your bell?

I can't see what benefit it would be for him to walk up your stairs, with the parcel and not knock at your door?

I would have asked what was going on, rather then guessing.

My current postman is excellent, and so was the one before the previous one. The last one I had though was terrible. Someone with an office next to the door in the building where I had an office once caught him posting a red card and legging it back into his van, he hadn't bothered knocking on the door. I took to sitting on the stairs in view of the door waiting for him when I knew I was getting a delivery. He's a complete idiot and a miserable one to boot, I'm very glad I no longer have him darkening my doorway.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post

I can't see what benefit it would be for him to walk up your stairs, with the parcel and not knock at your door?

These are my thoughts exactly - I work for Royal Mail and get about 2-3 complaints a day from people who say that the postman did not ring the bell- I always wonder why they think this surly it's easier to hand over a packet at the door than write out 2 sides of a card, endorse the packet then carry it around for the rest of the delivery- maybe they did not hear the bell ( not in the ops case)

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    These are my thoughts exactly - I work for Royal Mail and get about 2-3 complaints a day from people who say that the postman did not ring the bell- I always wonder why they think this surly it's easier to hand over a packet at the door than write out 2 sides of a card, endorse the packet then carry it around for the rest of the delivery- maybe they did not hear the bell ( not in the ops case)
    You get 2-3 complaints a day and your assumption is that the problem is with the end recipient and not the service or postie?

Quote Originally Posted by SockToy View Post
    You get 2-3 complaints a day and your assumption is that the problem is with the end recipient and not the service or postie?
    It might imply that the postie managed to get it right the other 300 deliveries they might have made that day?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    A few years ago when I lived in another part of Lincolnshire I caught the postie exactly as did the OP, just writing out a "While you were out" card. When I asked for my parcel, she said that she didn't have it with her! Further "discussion" revealed that it was quite usual to leave parcels at the sorting office as they took up too much room in her bike bag.

I must say that the service we receive at our current address is far better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magpie View Post
    A few years ago when I lived in another part of Lincolnshire I caught the postie exactly as did the OP, just writing out a "While you were out" card. When I asked for my parcel, she said that she didn't have it with her! Further "discussion" revealed that it was quite usual to leave parcels at the sorting office as they took up too much room in her bike bag.

I must say that the service we receive at our current address is far better.
    I have herd of this happening in some areas (and heads rolled)- We are a small town (approx 30k addresses) and todays packet couunt is somehere in the region on 8.5- 9k when I go at 3- all those packets will be out for delivery- try to get DPD to give you a one hour delivery slot with that kind of volume.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    THe sooner RM is sold off, stripped and made history the better. 50% of Xmas card received have been opened to check for cash this year..........

when it goes you'll get the level of service you deserve
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Mate, most romantic lyrics of all time. Well done.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

It has been mostly sold off, where have you been?

Having worked for Royal Mail in the past for 15 years, across all roles, I can assure you that your generalisation is incorrect.

When I left in 2004, Royal Mail was still handling more letters and packets in a day than the private sector was handling in a year.

Things are different now, packet volumes are up massively, as is the competition, but RM are still the only carrier that has by law to deliver a letter/parcel anywhere in the UK for a uniform price as part of its licence.

Competitiors have cherry picked the lucrative bits of the postal market, and can introduce any items it doesn't fancy delivering as there is no profit in them downstream to RM for them to do so.

RM is doing ok, no thanks to the govt/unions/regulator, but if it does eventually get broken up/go down, it will be a bad day for the UK.

If anybody gets poor service, complain, as every complaint is looked into and I know it will lead to discussions between your errant postie and his boss somewhere down the line.

Current state at the Guernsey sorting office....

Think i can see mine the Brown A4 Amazon one......

Master

I like in a block of flats and in this particular building there are six flats. There is an access door that one must buzz, speak to the occupier, and be buzzed in. Then there is a communal stairwell leading to the six flats. The buzzer that rings when one pushes the relevant button outside is rather loud and you can usually hear the buzzer in each of the other flats. I did not hear a peek at the time that the RMSD tracking info suggested it had been delivered.

The gentleman that took delivery of it was in a completely different number in a completely different building who kindly dropped it over last night.

That is about it!

Grand Master
    i have had to tell a postie (not my regular guy who is excellent) that the rmsd parcel he's trying to get me to sign for is not addressed to me, my address or even my street!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    The postie we have at work is brilliant.... He knows the time I go to a local cafe every morning and if he has anything for me to sign for he brings it to the cafe.... excellent.....

rgds

V

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It has been mostly sold off, where have you been?

Having worked for Royal Mail in the past for 15 years, across all roles, I can assure you that your generalisation is incorrect.

When I left in 2004, Royal Mail was still handling more letters and packets in a day than the private sector was handling in a year.

Things are different now, packet volumes are up massively, as is the competition, but RM are still the only carrier that has by law to deliver a letter/parcel anywhere in the UK for a uniform price as part of its licence.

Competitiors have cherry picked the lucrative bits of the postal market, and can introduce any items it doesn't fancy delivering as there is no profit in them downstream to RM for them to do so.

RM is doing ok, no thanks to the govt/unions/regulator, but if it does eventually get broken up/go down, it will be a bad day for the UK.

If anybody gets poor service, complain, as every complaint is looked into and I know it will lead to discussions between your errant postie and his boss somewhere down the line.
    'Mostly' is neither hear nor there. It still runs like a nationalised industry with the antiquated working practices, feckless workforce - resistant to any change, and is now staffed by thieves. I send and receive many parcels, letters etc in the course of my work and have NEVER received anything fromother than RM which has so obviously been opened to check if the contents are worth stealing. My own home mail is often for other house numbers in the street (and marked clearly as such) of for the same number as mine in a different street.

I did the 'aptitude test' for a temporary postie job a few years back................the level of intellect of most of those there was astounding, one couldn't even understand the test form where he was to write his name.........

I can't envisage how RM could get worse by being broken up so it won't be a bad day for anyone outside of its lazy, feckless self...........

'Mostly' is neither hear nor there. It still runs like a nationalised industry with the antiquated working practices, feckless workforce - resistant to any change, and is now staffed by thieves. I send and receive many parcels, letters etc in the course of my work and have NEVER received anything fromother than RM which has so obviously been opened to check if the contents are worth stealing. My own home mail is often for other house numbers in the street (and marked clearly as such) of for the same number as mine in a different street.

I did the 'aptitude test' for a temporary postie job a few years back................the level of intellect of most of those there was astounding, one couldn't even understand the test form where he was to write his name.........

I can't envisage how RM could get worse by being broken up so it won't be a bad day for anyone outside of its lazy, feckless self...........
    Probably staffed by foreigners.

Master

Well, as this isn't the bear pit, I'll just have to say that in my opinion you're wrong.

There are some amazing people who work for Royal Mail, and the vast majority work hard for their money. That workforce has collectively raised millions for charity over the years, and in the location I was based at funded, built and helped run a hospice for terminally ill children. Not bad for a bunch of lazy work shy buffoons eh?

Generalising about the intellect of a workforce based on a temporary job you applied for is laughably stupid isn't it?

I'm afraid you're an example of how the bear pit doesn't always work, as your idiotic and trolling comments spill over into other parts of the forum.

If you genuinely believe that half your Christmas cards are being opened, then complain to Royal Mail and if they don't do anything, tell the police.

Master
    I dont understand why a postman would write out a calling card and then leg it without knocking - surely it's less effort (or marginally more if you arent in) to just knock first??

Do they get some sort of benefit from doing a second delivery?? Overtime??

Anyway, my postie is excellent - the best I've ever had, so prompted by this thread I've just got him some 15yr single malt and a big box of chocolates. I feel ashamed that I have never got him anything before!

Master
    PS to the poster above who says half his Christmas cards arrive slit open - I have never had a Christmas card (or any other item of mail) slit open. Unless you are grossly exaggerating (I suspect so), this sounds very unusual to me - I'd definitely be escalating that (even if it only happened once).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    DPD beat RMSD hands down.
    My experience has been the exact opposite.

On the few occasions that I've had DPD deliver a package, it's gone through the "you are delivery no. X, the current delivery is no. Y" countdown, then a big gap, and then "returned to depot". Same thing next day. On the third or fourth day, it might eventually arrive. Telling them exactly where our house is, where to leave the package, etc, makes absolutely no difference. I would never choose to use them. (I do wonder what they expect of their drivers, though - I've seen days start off with "you are delivery no. 300 today").

With RMSD, I have never had a delayed delivery. My only slight frustration is that the post man will not leave anything without a signature (even though we have a parcel box), so I have to collect from the Sorting Office, but I can't blame him for doing his job correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Well, as this isn't the bear pit, I'll just have to say that in my opinion you're wrong.

There are some amazing people who work for Royal Mail, and the vast majority work hard for their money. That workforce has collectively raised millions for charity over the years, and in the location I was based at funded, built and helped run a hospice for terminally ill children. Not bad for a bunch of lazy work shy buffoons eh?

Generalising about the intellect of a workforce based on a temporary job you applied for is laughably stupid isn't it?

I'm afraid you're an example of how the bear pit doesn't always work, as your idiotic and trolling comments spill over into other parts of the forum.

If you genuinely believe that half your Christmas cards are being opened, then complain to Royal Mail and if they don't do anything, tell the police.
    Fair enough to have a different opinion. Sadly the BP brigade don'talways agree.
    There is no 100% criticism or complement for any large organisation so I don't doubt there aresome amazing people at RM (and everywhere else in Corporate life)
    My generalisation extended to include a litany of wrongly delivered mail due to a perceived ability to read (is there another reason?) or couldn't-care-less attitude? Myexperience at the selection process merely supported that, so not correct to cite that in isolation?
    Shame the usual personal insults have to spill out, but I'll not join you.
    I wouldn't waste my time, phone call or a stamp (!) contacting RM - closed ranks and excuses received in the past. Tell the Police? Reality check needed there..

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Probably staffed by foreigners.
    Racist bigot?

Master
    I have myself 'despatched' maybe 5 lightfingered members of staff during my time with RM- its not plesent and reminds me that theives are everywhere- i have also when I worked in a Mail Centre and removed quite a few casual staff at this time of year found opening cards etc
    Many cards and letter become damaged in machines as they pass from belt to belt and the not so eagle eyed, paranoid 'joe public' may interprit this as being attempted to be opened- I see 10's of cards a day shown to me by the guys also that have simply not been stuck down or folded inside- these really simply get caught in the machine and rip or the contents become seperated from the envelope.
    Dont just assume everyone is bent
    Im approaching 30 years and things are not what they used to be- I say to anyone if you think its easy have a go-
    Ive had 2 casuals(mid 20's) receintly who struggled with a walk - saying how tough it was - I reminded them that the regular postperson was a 60 year old lady who completes the round in good time every day

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Racist bigot?
    +Vile

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    +Vile
    You rang M'lud?.............

There is a £20 note waiting in the porch to be given to our regular postie as a seasonal thank you. He always manages to do the right thing including moving parcels, left by other carriers, from the front step to the 'safe place'.

Master
    We used to have a rubbish postie, he would deliver post where he felt it should go numbers and streets seemed irrelevant. I'm on first name terms with the chap in the street behind ours as we kept going around to one another's to swap post.
    He would drop the sorry you were out cards through the letterbox, without knocking I followed him down the road once and he admitted the parcel was at the post office but I couldn't collect it for 2 or 3 hours until he had finished his round.
    Several cards arrived opened.
    I put I'm several complaints and as soon as you said the village they would say his name straight away even though there are 2 posties that cover the village.
    Thankfully he has gone now, and the new postie is a lot better and we have had no issues we did have an opened card a while back but it was in a wrapper with a note to say it had been found damaged at the sorting office.

Now DPD I love 1 hour windows are great but our normal driver is helpful as well. In the event I'm out or my mate is out he will leave the parcel with the other one of us, my mate shares the same surname as me and Frank the DPD driver thinks were brothers which is fine as it makes life simple and I'd rather not leave a parcel with most of my neighbours.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Our current postie is superb (as was the previous lady). He is always cheerful and happy to chat. He is sensible about what parcels to leave in what locations eg in the electric meter cupboard,and makes every effort to leave mail requiring signatures with a neighbour. I once had a parcel delivered that had been ripped open,but it was just the once years ago and the resulting claim was paid quickly and without fuss. I have sent quite a lot in the mail over the years and the odd thing goes astray. Again though,I have always had the lost mail claim paid quickly and without issue.

Our local DPD is quite good as well to be fair,although the Yodel monkeys up the road are effin' useless (and that's being kind).

I personally think RM do a bloody good job

Master
    I've caught our post writing out a card instead of knocking the door a few times. Until recently there was never anyone in during the day so i suppose he's just got used to ticking the "safe place" box on the card and sticking it in the shed or the wendy house. All the other couriers seem to do the same.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My porter deals with parcels for me, however the RM postie we have is a great guy.

Grand Master
    I can appreciate the OP's frustrations, but in general I find the RMSD is an excellent service. I use it a lot, I`ve posted and received around 300 items in the last 3 years and the only problem I`ve ever had has been one late delivery (last week ironically) which can be partially excused by the high volume of mail at this time of year.

Postal staff in my area are excellent, can`t praise them enough.

Suggest the OP follows the complaints procedure and takes a broader view before completely condemning. sure, he's had a problem but that doesn`t mean the whole service is sick.

I receive stuff that's poorly addressed and (incredibly) sent with no senders details on the package......that's for watches with significant value!

Paul