closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do titanium watches darken after a while?

Do titanium watches darken after a while?

Do you know if all titanium watches tend to turn darker over time?
    Last edited by Toshk; 9th December 2015 at 21:01. Reason: Do titanium watches darken after a while?

Grand Master
    i think duratect lessens the effect, see also citizen's "super titanium"
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have a Citizen Duratect Titanium watch and nothing has darkened there, maybe with some others it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post
    I have a Citizen Duratect Titanium watch and nothing has darkened there, maybe with some others it does.
    Good to hear. Mine is a GS.
    How long have you had it for?

Blog Entries
    Have a Steinhart Proteus and it had darkened noticeably. But no special coatings/treatments like Citizen and Seiko.

Craftsman
    It also depends on the grade of titanium used. Specially coated and higher grade titanium would be less prone to scratches and fading or changing colour over time.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    If it's coated its about the coating not base material. All titanium is subject to surface oxidation which leads to dulling with cheaper, lower %s dulling more, then again it could depend on the other components in the alloy so ask for a spec sheet :-)

Apprentice
    I have a Citizen Titanium and it has not darkened at all, no scratches either, also the most comfortable watch i've ever owned.

I have a Tissot T-touch titanium and it's never darkened.

Cant quite remember but its a few years now and still looks as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Good to hear. Mine is a GS.
    How long have you had it for?

Master
    My Oris Pro Diver hasn't darkened at all. In fact the bracelet is as shiny as it was when new and I've had it more than 4 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I have a Van Nicholas sports bicycle made from Titanium & it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it 5 years ago
    For obvious reasons, it’ll not be bare metal – they’ll have anodised it, most likely.

Master
    Do you honestly think anyone here has ever owned a watch long enough to know?!

As for the multiple Aerospace's I have owned (at most 6 months I think), none seemed to darken.

Grand Master
    Titanium rapidly develops an oxide layer; the associated darkening happens v quickly and it'll already be in this state when it's purchased new. It's nigh-on impossible to produce a mirror finish unless working in an inert atmosphere. A very smooth finish can be produced but it'll dull overnight.......I speak from experience!

Titanium scratches easier than steel because it's softer, but owing to the rapid oxidation of the damaged surface it the marks don't show up as easily.

I've no urge to own one, but I can see the appeal. The lack of weight is odd; just finished work on a titanium Omega SMP and it feels strange, the mismatch between what your eyes say it should feel like and the way it actually feels is uncanny.

Paul

Journeyman
    yes, you'll get some surface oxidation which depends on the grade of Ti used. I actually think that the higher the grade the more likely it is to oxidise, unless the surface is treated.

My Titanium SM300 is not dark at all and the polished sections have a mirror finish. This may be because they use grade 5 titanium (whatever that is?).
    Cheers,
    Adam.

I have a highly polished Ti watch, which you would never guess had a Ti case. I've had many Ti Omega SMPs and none of them over changed colour.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    I worked on one titanium watch bracelet with polished sections; try as I might I couldn`t get anything like the same mirror finish as stainless steel, it wouldn`t 'take' the final polishing. In the end I put this down to oxidation of the freshly-revealed surface. Not saying it didn`t have a shine, just somewhat duller than steel. Possibly some polished titanium watches have a surface coating added?

One odd effect I`ve seen on heavily worn titanium cases is a 'ploughing up' effect on the surface of the metal. Hard to describe abd very strange. I polished it all out and redid the brushed finish starting afresh. The effect was confined to the top of the lugs, never did fully understand it. Could've been a result of previous attempts to rework it?.....I don`t know.

Personally I prefer straightforward stainless steel or gold, but some titanium watches do look nice........once you've got used to the colour.

Paul

Thanks for vast amount of facts gents. So much experience on this forum.

I no longer google watch related stuff. I just ask here :)

Grand Master
    You will get a noticeable change in the colour on titanium watches depending on their exposure to light/heat/moisture etc I really like the change which is unnoticeable as its very gradual but nice comparing old to new
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You will get a noticeable change in the colour on titanium watches depending on their exposure to light/heat/moisture etc I really like the change which is unnoticeable as its very gradual but nice comparing old to new
    Light will not effect it.

I love the effect heat has - I've had many Ti exhaust on my motorbikes change with the constant heat and cooling cycles.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Light will not effect it.
    Im no scientist! But shut in a box or safe over worn out and about it changes!
    RIAC

Im no scientist! But shut in a box or safe over worn out and about it changes!
    Not sure what you mean. It may look different in different light but it will not have changed due to exposure to light. Any changes will be due to surface oxidation by air or 'micro' scratches it picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thanks for that, interesting..always hoped mine would get darker with age..oh well

I think titanium is generally a darker metal anyway than others - possibly due to that oxidation process. It was like that on a Merlin titanium bike I used to have.