closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival, SDGZ013, almost a GS

Blog Entries

New arrival, SDGZ013, almost a GS

I recently sold my SBBN031 (new tuna) to fund this, mostly because it looks nice and is rare And holy watch lord I'm happy I did.

The SDGZ013 is a 500 pcs LE released 2014 to celebrate the 50th birthyear of SEIKOs first chronograph, the one pusher "chronostop".

Specs

41,9mm x 14,7mm Diashield titanium case
    Super clear AR coating (double sided, anti smudge)
    8R48 movement, not great specs but column wheel chronograph with 3 vertical clutches.

The case is thick on paper and generally I wouldn't buy a chrono @ this size but it actually wears great. On the wrist I don't mind the thickness at all and being titanium, it's light but not flimsy light. I wouldn't have guessed that it's titanium. This is my first titanium watch ever by the way. Bracelet looks and wears great.

What really sets this watch apart from many others is the dial. I can't praise it enough. It shifts from brushed steel to almost sparkly white depending on the light. It really is a wonder to behold and at this price point I honestly think the dial is insanely nice. Great choice by SEIKO making the hands black to further accentuate the dial.

This watch makes me wonder about a possible future release of a GS chronograph. Aside from the movement, how could they possibly make a better auto chronograph? My guess is a new GS mechanical chronograph movement would use the 8R as a base which means it would probably have to be as thick as the SDGZ013. Or do you think they would use the 6S as base? A titanium mechanical GS chrono would probably cost twice the prize and even if I look forward to it I just can't see how they could justify the difference after releasing this model.

Lovely. Case details are exquisite.

I really do like this one, love the dial.

Superb, by far the best Brightz chrono. In fact probably Seiko's finest chronograph. Excellent find.

Paul

A fair trade, very nice.

Master
    Very Nice

Not usually a fan of Chrono's but love the detail of the case and design of the bracelet - particular the contrast between brushed and polished surfaces.

It does look very thick though. How thick is the case and what is the Dia Shield coating you mentioned?

I saw a few dial photo's of this model online months ago and I was interested in buying one. I did a bit of searching and eventually found the specification. I was slightly disappointed to find that it was in titanium (as I always prefer the weight of steel) but the movement and dial are a great combination. I've always liked big pushers on a chronograph.

mate, that is swish bro. semi panda. only thing i dont like about it is the date window, reading it would be a bit like being on the bridge of the enterprise during a klingon attack with the shields down, or a particularly sharp meteor shower.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Very Nice

Not usually a fan of Chrono's but love the detail of the case and design of the bracelet - particular the contrast between brushed and polished surfaces.

It does look very thick though. How thick is the case and what is the Dia Shield coating you mentioned?

14,7mm thick. Very thing on paper but feels good on the wrist thanks to the angle on the underside of the case. Diashield: Scratch proofing coating.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    mate, that is swish bro. semi panda. only thing i dont like about it is the date window, reading it would be a bit like being on the bridge of the enterprise during a klingon attack with the shields down, or a particularly sharp meteor shower.
    That analogy makes no sense, she shields always come back up somehow. ;)

The date isn't exactly the most legible but it matches the sweep seconds dial perfectly.
    Last edited by yonsson; 7th December 2015 at 14:40.

Journeyman
    Ohta is surprised how much he likes the SDGZ013.
    Prefer it over the 'Speedy' even.

Master
    I think I prefer that to the GS chronos with their marmite oversized pushers TBH. It does look quite thick but so does the basic GS auto, and it seems to wear ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohta View Post
    Ohta is surprised how much he likes the SDGZ013.
    Prefer it over the 'Speedy' even.
    Aren't YOU Ohta?????

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think I prefer that to the GS chronos with their marmite oversized pushers TBH. It does look quite thick but so does the basic GS auto, and it seems to wear ok.
    So do I, by a landslide. The GS chronos are very very big and the pushers look ridiculous.

That is a beautiful watch. I'm green.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    This watch makes me wonder about a possible future release of a GS chronograph. Aside from the movement, how could they possibly make a better auto chronograph? My guess is a new GS mechanical chronograph movement would use the 8R as a base which means it would probably have to be as thick as the SDGZ013. Or do you think they would use the 6S as base?
    Unlikely to happen – GS chronograph will probably remain Spring Drive only, in the shape of the SBGC0xx with GNT or the SBGB001/003 without GMT and same style pushers as on the SDGZ.

Not sure what you’re getting at by saying that the SDGZ doesn’t have great specs – no-one else has vertical clutched the two chrono sub-dials for smooth transition between markings, but instead use the age-old method of jumping to the next time division indicator.
    Last edited by PJ S; 7th December 2015 at 19:00.

I really like that, even the date window. Please excuse my vulgarity in talking about price but if I'm correct and it's around £1400 then it's a bargain for what it is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Unlikely to happen – GS chronograph will probably remain Spring Drive only, in the shape of the SBGC0xx with GNT or the SBGB001/003 without GMT and same style pushers as on the SDGZ.

Not sure what you’re getting at by saying that the SDGZ doesn’t have great specs – no-one else has vertical clutched the two chrono sub-dials for smooth transition between markings, but instead use the age-old method of jumping to the next time division indicator.
    I mean timekeeping wise. As I understand it the 8R is a pretty basic movement, not like the 6S Credor uses. I actually think GS will release an auto chronograph pretty soon, and a hi beat mechanical diver as well. Time will tell I guess but that's pretty much all that's missing in the GS line up. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I really like that, even the date window. Please excuse my vulgarity in talking about price but if I'm correct and it's around £1400 then it's a bargain for what it is.
    yes, 260000 yen = £1400 (+VAT), very competitive. List price in EU is of course higher.

Woah! Supersex!
    Better than a big block eh?

So....

How about a lume shot then?

just popped in to revisit the thread. one of the few new watches I've seen on tz in the last few months to juice my pony .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Woah! Supersex!
    Better than a big block eh?

So....

How about a lume shot then?
    Let's just say I wouldn't buy it for the lume, but the dial gives of nice reflections in dim light as you can see above. :)

just popped in to revisit the thread. one of the few new watches I've seen on tz in the last few months to juice my pony .
    I just received my JLC chrono back from a quick regulation and when comparing them side by side it amazes me that the SEIKO only costs 1/6th of the JLC. It would be pretty comical if the SEIKO put the JLC in the watch box. :)

Never knew that Seiko has such great looking panda chronograph in automatic version.

Master
    I never thought I'd say this, but that is the closest I have ever coming to liking a Seiko! Who'd have thunk it! Very nice :-)

Craftsman
    Very nice. I like the red tipped seconds hand

Dave

Apprentice
    That is a great dial. Quintessential Seiko. Great watch.

Theoretically, reposition the running seconds and hours sub-dials and it could be even better.

In my opinion, semi-instant jumping minute is slightly preferred. How often does an elapsed time fall on x:59.50 - x:59.875? 0.8%. Instant jumping minutes is best, no drawback.

Blog Entries

The timegrapher made my point. -14/+2 seconds is about 3 times better than SEIKO specs but still not great considering my skx007 is -3/+6 according to the timegrapher. The SDGZ013: is running -10spd which is within specs but not within what I accept so I'll regulate it or let a watchmaker regulate it.
    Last edited by yonsson; 9th December 2015 at 22:16.

Craftsman
    Looks great, stunning dial and performance!

Seiko El Saisho :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    The timegrapher made my point. -14/+2 seconds is about 3 times better than SEIKO specs…
    In fact, the timegrapher destroyed your point!
    You postulated that the watch "doesn’t have great specs”, yet the measured results showed it performed “3 times better than the specs” suggested it would.

Before rushing to have the watch regulated, wear it for a few weeks first. Give it time to bed in and see what the offset is whilst worn – we know watches’ timekeeping is affected by temperature and position.
    Let us know how much it deviates at that stage.
    Last edited by PJ S; 11th December 2015 at 14:23.

Master
    Great find and no wonder you're pleased. Wasn't aware of that model, looks great.

But how would you know this unless you're actually a time traveller who has actually stood on the bridge of the Enterprise during a Kl....

Blog Entries
    In fact, the timegrapher destroyed your point!
    You postulated that the watch "doesn’t have great specs”, yet the measured results showed it performed “3 times better than the specs” suggested it would.

Before rushing to have the watch regulated, wear it for a few weeks first. Give it time to bed in and see what the offset is whilst worn – we know watches’ timekeeping is affected by temperature and position.
    Let us know how much it deviates at that stage.
    It's still about -10spd so still needs regulation to performe
    optimally. :)