closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manual Wind question.

Manual Wind question.

Can any damage be done to a movement if it's wound while the crown isn't fully 'seated'?

After changing the date, I pushed the crown in and the watch didn't run. I wound it but it only required about 10 turns to fully wind as it had plenty of reserve left. The second hand still didn't start so I pulled the crown out and pushed it back in and it then started.

I thought I had pushed the crown in fully from the beginning so not really sure why the second hand didn't start running.

Any ideas from the more knowledgeable members?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 1st December 2015 at 14:05.

Grand Master
    What's the watch?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What's the watch?

Paul
    Nomos Tangente sport. Alpha movement based on the peseux 7001. It has the non-quick set date which I had to go back and forward with for 31 days as I initially set it one day too much!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 1st December 2015 at 11:41.

Grand Master
    Just reassembled one of these (ETA non-date version)!

The setting lever and keyless work looked fairly robust to me (they usually are on hand-wound designs) so I very much doubt whether you'd be able to damage it.

I reckon it takes over 60 twists of the crown to wind one of these fully, just learned that yesterday..........not a lot of people know that

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just reassembled one of these (ETA non-date version)!

The setting lever and keyless work looked fairly robust to me (they usually are on hand-wound designs) so I very much doubt whether you'd be able to damage it.

I reckon it takes over 60 twists of the crown to wind one of these fully, just learned that yesterday..........not a lot of people know that

Paul
    Thanks Paul, It was just the fact that I wound it without the crown being fully pressed in (possibly). It allowed me to wind ok but the second hand wouldn't start up until I pulled the crown out and pushed it back in again. Strange one.