closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why hasn't this 14k Rolex strap made in Italy sold yet ?

Master

Why hasn't this 14k Rolex strap made in Italy sold yet ?

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/...ats-of-diamond

"This item comes with a insurance valuation (£10,500) Although we understand thats not the true value of the item, this way you have peace of mind that a professional has checked every inch of the item to ensure its authenticity."

H

Master
    Because it's fugly?

Journeyman
    Notoriously difficult conditions in the watches that don't tell the time sector?

Certainly isn't my cup of tea.

I'm not claiming to have the slightest knowledge of the pawnbroking, diamond or gold trade. But, just for fun, I put the stats into an online diamond/gold calculator.

It came up with £707 for the gold and £3588 for the diamonds (I was guessing the diamond stats). Judging from that it isn't the worst buy in the world, though I do appreciate gauging diamond prices is an expert field in itself.

I wasn't aware that Rolex manufactured in Italy but stand to be corrected.

Interested to hear the expert opinion.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 30th November 2015 at 16:48.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    "This item comes with a insurance valuation (£10,500) Although we understand thats not the true value of the item, this way you have peace of mind that a professional has checked every inch of the item to ensure its authenticity."
    <chortle> I am willing to believe that it's authentically Italian. Maybe.

I wonder what the diamonds are really like, too.

Hmmm, I would have expected the inside of the clasp to have a more detail not just 14kt Italy and however much I look at it I can't see that kind of money in it?

I suspect the answer to your question is that were it for sale in Dubai or Marbella it might sell at or near the asking price, cash converters Chorley hmmm not so sure.

GLWTS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hmmm, I would have expected the inside of the clasp to have a more detail not just 14kt Italy and however much I look at it I can't see that kind of money in it?

I suspect the answer to your question is that were it for sale in Dubai or Marbella it might sell at or near the asking price, cash converters Chorley hmmm not so sure.

GLWTS.
    GLWTS ?! Just to avoid any confusion : you would never, ever see me selling this!

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    GLWTS ?! Just to avoid any confusion : you would never, ever see me selling this!

H
    Sorry chum no offence intended.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry chum no offence intended.
    I guess they don't have Cash-Converters in Paris.

They are shall we say, a somewhat low rent but quite large high street Pawnbroker chain here in the UK. You can pawn anything from a cordless drill to your family jewels.

Master
    No worries, number2, but thankyou

Thanks also TimeOut, but just for the benefit of any readers interested I will clarify :

Pawnbroking - regulated loans provided under the Consumer Credit Act with enormous customer protection under the Financial Conduct Authority regime.

Buy-back - unregulated transactions (which I believe SHOULD properly be treated as loans, with all the requirements and customer protection that goes with that).

It is odd that two customers may enter a store, one asking to borrow £300 against his chain and one asking to borrow £50 against his Playstation. One will be given a pawnbroking agreement and the other a buy-back agreement. I have a problem with this.

H

Thanks for clarification, I knew there must be be some way for them to operate these unsecured "buy back" type loans. I can see why honest traditional Pawnbrokers wouldn't want to be tarred with the same brush.

I should also set the record straight and say Cashconverters actually have 6 stores in Paris!

Master
    You learn something new every day Milton ( your post two up). Thanks.

Just for interest, the pawnbroking industry in France is run by the government. No commercial pawnbrokers exist.

Spotted a few more of these today, does anyone know the history behind them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    I'm not claiming to have the slightest knowledge of the pawnbroking, diamond or gold trade. But, just for fun, I put the stats into an online diamond/gold calculator.

It came up with £707 for the gold and £3588 for the diamonds (I was guessing the diamond stats). Judging from that it isn't the worst buy in the world, though I do appreciate gauging diamond prices is an expert field in itself.

I wasn't aware that Rolex manufactured in Italy but stand to be corrected.

Interested to hear the expert opinion.
    Which calculator was that?

I have a little experience in this field. Bearing in mind the total carat weight of 5.15cts, both the round diamonds and baguettes look to be around 10pts. Even if the stones are top drawer they wouldn't fetch more than around £200pc second hand (less for the baguettes) meaning there is way less than £1K worth of stones in there. Add that to the £700 gold and you have something that scraps at around £1500 being sold for £4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Which calculator was that?

I have a little experience in this field. Bearing in mind the total carat weight of 5.15cts, both the round diamonds and baguettes look to be around 10pts. Even if the stones are top drawer they wouldn't fetch more than around £200pc second hand (less for the baguettes) meaning there is way less than £1K worth of stones in there. Add that to the £700 gold and you have something that scraps at around £1500 being sold for £4K.
    Cool just put the weights into an online calculator for fun and that's what came out.

http://goldvaluecalculator.com/diamond-calculator/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Cool just put the weights into an online calculator for fun and that's what came out.

http://goldvaluecalculator.com/diamond-calculator/
    Interesting! I can't seem to get it to work though unfortunately. I should imagine that this tool just lifts data straight from the Rap list which means that for smaller stones like those we are talking about here it will be woefully inaccurate since the Rap list is only really useful at third caraters and above.
    Last edited by Padders; 24th December 2015 at 19:07.