closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The 'Curta' Amphibia

The 'Curta' Amphibia

As a mechanical calculator enthusiast, I thought that it would be fun to try to create a personal 'homage' watch loosely based on the marvellous Curta calculating machine. Here's one of mine, a Mark I model from 1965:

The obvious starting point is the easily modified Vostok Amphibia, available in numerous case styles and dial patterns:

Curtas are circular when viewed from above, so the 420 Vostok case design which closely follows the circular shape of the bezel seems a good start.

And as these devices are all about numbers, a dial featuring Arabic numerals. Better have them in white on a black face. The 647 dial ticks those boxes, and I like the angular style of the numerals. The triangle at the 12 position reminds me of the triangle on top of the Curta operating handle if I squint a bit.

No date, so it will have the 2415 movement.

Hands next; Curtas feature arrows to indicate the positions of the carriage and reversing lever. The classic Amphibia arrow hour hand fits the bill, and the red second hand is reminiscent of the red subtraction band on the calculator.

Although all of these components are available separately, the 420647 model is already the sum of the parts. How useful, and not in any way contrived . When Velorum offered one on Sales Corner recently I snapped it up. Thanks Ian!

Next, the bezel and insert. Curtas have a black framed Results Register taking up about two-thirds of the dial and a silver framed Counting Register for the remainder. Dagaz produce a silver 'Pepsi' insert that looks perfect. A bezel from Mr Borysenko to pop it in completes the look.

I’m very fond of the grey sided Mark II Curta, so a nice thick weave grey Eulit perlon strap looks to be a suitable match.

So put them all together and there you have it. My 'Curta' Amphibia.

Thanks to everybody who has posted information about Vostok mods for the inspiration.

Matthew
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 5th December 2015 at 03:25. Reason: Minor correction

That looks great Matthew

Excellent photos too - I was quire unaware of these devices, fascinating

Ian

Good work Matthew, nice to get a detailed view of the inspiration for this

That looks really good well done Matthew .

Brilliant, love the inspiration and the result.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Fantastic! What a great idea to base an Amphibia mod on a mechanical calculator. The result is excellent.

I'd never hear of the Curta calculator before and have just read the Wikipedia entry. What a fascinating story.

-wotsch

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    That looks great Matthew

Excellent photos too - I was quire unaware of these devices, fascinating

Ian
    Thanks Ian, a lot of the information on where to obtain parts came from your posts. I'm indebted to you.
    The photographs were taken with an iPhone 5s, I'm very impressed with the quality for a smartphone camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Good work Matthew, nice to get a detailed view of the inspiration for this
    Cheers, Ed! Your Vostok mods have also been an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    That looks really good well done Matthew .
    Thanks, I'm very pleased that you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Brilliant, love the inspiration and the result.
    Thank you - to say that I'm obsessed with Curta Calculators would be an understatement!

Quote Originally Posted by wotsch View Post
    Fantastic! What a great idea to base an Amphibia mod on a mechanical calculator. The result is excellent.

I'd never hear of the Curta calculator before and have just read the Wikipedia entry. What a fascinating story.

-wotsch
    I'm extremely flattered to receive such comments from the undisputed master! You have made my day, sir!

The story Curt Herzstark's survival in Buchenwald whist designing his masterpiece, the eventual establishment of a manufacturing plant in Liechtenstein and his struggles with unscrupulous financial backers really is a fascinating and moving story.

Cheers, Matthew

That looks cool. I do like that Perlon. Expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    That looks cool. I do like that Perlon. Expensive?
    Cheers! ...and yes , I suppose it's down to the rarity factor. Despite the price I have come to the conclusion that it is worth paying the extra for the quality, I do like them an awful lot.

Craftsman
    Looks great and love that Perlon - another watch strap I now need to go searching for!

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Looks great and love that Perlon - another watch strap I now need to go searching for!
    Thank you. Occasionally the thick weave perlons pop up on eBay for a reasonable sum but as they become rarer, so the prices creep up.

I've just realised how pleasingly international this is. The watch was manufactured in Russia and reached me via the UK. The bezel came from Ukraine, the insert from Hong Kong and the strap was made in West Germany but obtained in the United States of America. All assembled by an Englishman living in Colombia.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thank you. Occasionally the thick weave perlons pop up on eBay for a reasonable sum but as they become rarer, so the prices creep up.

I've just realised how pleasingly international this is. The watch was manufactured in Russia and reached me via the UK. The bezel came from Ukraine, the insert from Hong Kong and the strap was made in West Germany but obtained in the United States of America. All assembled by an Englishman living in Colombia.
    I'll have to keep an eye on eBay for the Perlon - fancy trying one on my Vostok.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fascinating insight. Thanks for sharing Matthew and hope you're safe and well.

Have a great Christmas.

Jim

Thank you. I enjoyed your thread very much. I have not come across the Curta machines before and was also charmed by the international aspect of the modding process. The resultant watch is an attractive piece. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Fascinating insight. Thanks for sharing Matthew and hope you're safe and well.

Have a great Christmas.

Jim
    Cheers Jim, all good here. Wishing the same to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by halfscrew View Post
    Thank you. I enjoyed your thread very much. I have not come across the Curta machines before and was also charmed by the international aspect of the modding process. The resultant watch is an attractive piece. Congratulations.
    You are very welcome, and my thanks. What started out as a bit of fun has evolved into one of my favourite watches.

Very good looking, well done!

Excellent mod. The watch looks great

Journeyman
    That's definitely inspiring me to get some amphibia and try on

Bumping an older thread for those that missed it first time around a I did, and given the current interest in Vostok Amphibia.

Very cool, Mr Curta!

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Bumping an older thread for those that missed it first time around a I did, and given the current interest in Vostok Amphibia.

Very cool, Mr Curta!
    Thank you very much! For obvious reasons, it is my favourite Vostok Amphibia mod. I have since added a stainless steel crown from Meranom but it otherwise remains the same.

I've been trying out some alternative straps as the grey Perlon often finds itself redeployed to an electronic Tissot. I'm very pleased with the appearance of this dark grey salt & pepper tweed which is particularly in keeping with Type I and early Type II Curta models.

Sorry to drag this up from the depths but did/does this dial have lume? I've just ordered one for my 710se

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matelot View Post
    Sorry to drag this up from the depths but did/does this dial have lume? I've just ordered one for my 710se
    I don't have the watch to hand as it's currently on a different continent to me, but I believe that the hands and pips are produced with Vostok's proprietary glowing solution, LousyLumeTM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I don't have the watch to hand as it's currently on a different continent to me, but I believe that the hands and pips are produced with Vostok's proprietary glowing solution, LousyLumeTM
    When did they upgrade from CrappyLume?