closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nexus 6 phone what are they like build quality etc

Master

Nexus 6 phone what are they like build quality etc

Hi guys

I am really tempted to get the Nexus 6 which has just been given a big reduction by Motorola this weekend and I know I will be fine with it being a big monkey but what is it like in general with things like build quality etc as I have read about the backs coming away and if you break the screen it costs a fortune to replace so any advice and thoughts on the phone would be really appreciated as I fancy trying a new phone with a bigger screen but I don't want to go mad spending too much on one and the Nexus 6 at this price is so intriguing to me and I am weak when it comes to trying new phones.

So so does the phone stand up to everyday use ok as I wouldn't use a case or protector on it and most of all do you recommend it :)

Thanks

Best phone that I've owned - and it supports Qi charging, unlike the 6P. Lots of support for rooting (http://www.wugfresh.com/) and in general (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6).

Any large phone will be expensive if you break the screen, but there are rumours that Motorola will replace broken screens under warranty. Getting a tempered Glass screen protector is an issue (due to the slightly curved screen and manufacturing irregularities) but I've found the IntelliArmour one to be excellent (
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/accessories/tempered-glass-screen-protectors-t2922645).

I have a few cases, but the Spigen is (in my opinion) the best of them - transparent back and a "bumper" type surround, while not adding a lot to the size of the phone. I believe that the issue with the backs coming off was mostly limited to earlier phones, but it's covered under warranty if it does happen.

You're slightly limited for some peripherals (e.g. in-car Qi charger/mounts) due to the size of the phone, but they are out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Best phone that I've owned - and it supports Qi charging, unlike the 6P. Lots of support for rooting (http://www.wugfresh.com/) and in general (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6).

Any large phone will be expensive if you break the screen, but there are rumours that Motorola will replace broken screens under warranty. Getting a tempered Glass screen protector is an issue (due to the slightly curved screen and manufacturing irregularities) but I've found the IntelliArmour one to be excellent (
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/accessories/tempered-glass-screen-protectors-t2922645).

I have a few cases, but the Spigen is (in my opinion) the best of them - transparent back and a "bumper" type surround, while not adding a lot to the size of the phone. I believe that the issue with the backs coming off was mostly limited to earlier phones, but it's covered under warranty if it does happen.

You're slightly limited for some peripherals (e.g. in-car Qi charger/mounts) due to the size of the phone, but they are out there.
    Hi Philip have you still got yours? I wouldn't want to root it at all and as for in car chargers I would just use my normal usb charger and as I am a rep on the road I get plenty of time to charge in the car and as for wireless charging I don't have one so I wouldn't be using that feature but for this weekend I can get a 32gb Nexus 6 from Motorola UK for £225 which will save me just over £100 on buying the Style and over £200 on buying the Force!

Andy

Yes, still have mine - I can't think of any phone on the market that I could replace it with. It's quite a bargain at current prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Yes, still have mine - I can't think of any phone on the market that I could replace it with. It's quite a bargain at current prices.
    Philip I just sent you a PM but it does seem like a great deal to me at present, I like the Moto assist features of the Style and as much as I like the Style I do think the battery life won't be great so I might wait until they bring one out with a bigger battery or the X Force is reduced as I do think the Force is overpriced at present, and if I sold the Nexus 6 hopefully I wouldn't take too big a hit on price!

How owe good is the Nexus screen as I have read that the whites are a bit yellow and I am not sure about that :)
    Last edited by andy armitage; 28th November 2015 at 20:26.

Really put off the Nexus line recently. The 4 was the best phone I've ever owned. The 5 was better in every way, but had an issue with the inbuilt mic - it just sort of stopped, something about double noise cancelling. This was out of warranty but was given no support from Google even though I'd bought it directly from them. Replaced the hardware myself, no fix.

I'm now hearing stories about the same issue with the newest Nexus line, but apparently there is a software fix for this. Its really off putting though, for a flagship device. This is coming from an Android/Google loyalist.

Master
    I have until midnight today to buy the Nexus 6 at a pretty good price on the Motorola site and I just don't know whether to get it or get the Style or the Force but they are both a fair bit more than the Nexus!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have until midnight today to buy the Nexus 6 at a pretty good price on the Motorola site and I just don't know whether to get it or get the Style or the Force but they are both a fair bit more than the Nexus!
    Whichever you end up getting, you can't go wrong much. They are excellent phones. I currently have a Nexus 6, but I've got an X Style incoming. I chose to change it for 4 reasons (in order of importance to me):

1. I'm a phone 'flipper'. Seriously, I get bored of them after less than 6 months and just have to get another one (so far, this past year has been the worst : I've changed my phone 4 or 5 times).
    2. Bamboo back. I just like how it looks. A bit different from the usual plastic
    3. Slightly faster CPU : the N6 is no slouch, but sometimes it just needs that little bit of extra power, especially with the high res screen and if you do a lot of multitasking
    4. More manageable size-wise. OK, the N6 is certainly handle-able, but sometimes I just wish it had been a tad smaller. For example, if you like your selfies, forget about taking them with your N6 (I've only tried it once, out of 'necessity', and it did not go very well). Plus, I just love the X Style's slim bezels

Other than that, and to answer your question about build quality, it is and feels very solid. Sure, there have been some issues with expanding batteries/falling letters and so on, but these have pretty much been solved by now. I had to return my first one because the screen got burn in marks really easily, but I've waited a couple of months until the issues had been fixed and my second one has done very well so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Whichever you end up getting, you can't go wrong much. They are excellent phones. I currently have a Nexus 6, but I've got an X Style incoming. I chose to change it for 4 reasons (in order of importance to me):

1. I'm a phone 'flipper'. Seriously, I get bored of them after less than 6 months and just have to get another one (so far, this past year has been the worst : I've changed my phone 4 or 5 times).
    2. Bamboo back. I just like how it looks. A bit different from the usual plastic
    3. Slightly faster CPU : the N6 is no slouch, but sometimes it just needs that little bit of extra power, especially with the high res screen and if you do a lot of multitasking
    4. More manageable size-wise. OK, the N6 is certainly handle-able, but sometimes I just wish it had been a tad smaller. For example, if you like your selfies, forget about taking them with your N6 (I've only tried it once, out of 'necessity', and it did not go very well). Plus, I just love the X Style's slim bezels

Other than that, and to answer your question about build quality, it is and feels very solid. Sure, there have been some issues with expanding batteries/falling letters and so on, but these have pretty much been solved by now. I had to return my first one because the screen got burn in marks really easily, but I've waited a couple of months until the issues had been fixed and my second one has done very well so far.
    Thanks for that and really it should be the Style I get as I really love the look of it and the screen size will be great as I want a bigger screen than my Sony Z3 has but the only doubt I have is the battery life with the Style as from what I have read it will be very similar to the LG G3 I had and that battery was poor!

I also like the X Force with that great battery but I really don't want to spend £450 pn that phone as I can get the Style from Motorola UK for £332 which isn't too bad. The more I think about it the more I think the Nexus might just be a tad too big are you buying from the Moto UK site?

Oh and I am just like you I just love trying different Android phones as iPhones do absolutely nothing for me at all.
    Last edited by andy armitage; 30th November 2015 at 23:04.

Master
    Thanks for that and really it should be the Style I get as I really love the look of it and the screen size will be great as I want a bigger screen than my Sony Z3 has but the only doubt I have is the battery life with the Style as from what I have read it will be very similar to the LG G3 I had and that battery was poor!

I also like the X Force with that great battery but I really don't want to spend £450 pn that phone as I can get the Style from Motorola UK for £332 which isn't too bad. The more I think about it the more I think the Nexus might just be a tad too big are you buying from the Moto UK site?

Oh and I am just like you I just love trying different Android phones as iPhones do absolutely nothing for me at all.
    Yes, from Motomaker UK.

Well, to be fair to the X Style, the N6's battery is not that good either. Your mileage might vary, but, personally, I have to charge mine twice a day on most days (lately I've been listening to Spotify on my phone a lot), so I won't have a problem with the shorter battery life. I too have owned the G3 before the N6 and I would rate the Nexus as maybe 10-15% better battery-life wise. It is not a deal breaker for me, as I can charge it in the office whenever I want.

I haven't tried it on Marshmallow yet though, Doze should help with the stand-by power draw

What did you end up getting (if anything)?
    Last edited by asteclaru; 1st December 2015 at 10:04.

Master
    Yes, from Motomaker UK.

Well, to be fair to the X Style, the N6's battery is not that good either. Your mileage might vary, but, personally, I have to charge mine twice a day on most days (lately I've been listening to Spotify on my phone a lot), so I won't have a problem with the shorter battery life. I too have owned the G3 before the N6 and I would rate the Nexus as maybe 10-15% better battery-life wise. It is not a deal breaker for me, as I can charge it in the office whenever I want.

I haven't tried it on Marshmallow yet though, Doze should help with the stand-by power draw

What did you end up getting (if anything)?
    Still pondering :) the G3 I had really had a poor battery life and I assume the Style will be pretty similar and it sounds like the N6 will be similar (all crap) :)

I have been tempted by the Force and even with the 10% unidays it still comes out at £450 but the battery is big and will last but then the N6 is exactly half that price!!!!

Master
    Still pondering :) the G3 I had really had a poor battery life and I assume the Style will be pretty similar and it sounds like the N6 will be similar (all crap) :)

I have been tempted by the Force and even with the 10% unidays it still comes out at £450 but the battery is big and will last but then the N6 is exactly half that price!!!!
    I see. I think we are a bit alike in this regard, you and I

I too have decided that I will not spend more than I have to on mobile phones anymore. When the 6P came out and I saw the £500 price tag, I told myself 'There's no way I'm paying that much for a phone', even though just 1 year ago I wouldn't have given it too much thought. I've been hunting deals for the X Style since it came out, and I finally got one now, with these price reductions.

I guess I just have other hobbies and things to spend money on now, since I've joined this forum
    Last edited by asteclaru; 1st December 2015 at 23:16.

Master
    I see. I think we are a bit alike in this regard, you and I

I too have decided that I will not spend more than I have to on mobile phones anymore. When the 6P came out and I saw the £500 price tag, I told myself 'There's no way I'm paying that much for a phone', even though just 1 year ago I wouldn't have given it too much thought. I've been hunting deals for the X Style since it came out, and I finally got one now, with these price reductions.

I guess I just have other hobbies and things to spend money on now, since I've joined this forum
    We are very alike as same with me a year ago I wouldn't have had a problem spending £500 on a phone but my last few phones I have bought used from sc at good prices and as much as I like the Force I don't want to spend that much on it!

I have a unidays 10% discount code that I can use on Motorola UK site so it brings the price of the phones down to this

Nexus 6 £225
    Style £332
    Force £450

so the Nexus is exactly half the price of the Force and I know the Nexus is a bit older but it still has good specs doesn't it, I know the Style is probably the one to get but again the price difference to the Nexus is pretty big!

Decisions :) I just don't know which to go for, I am a bit of a phone flipper as I love Android phones and trying different ones as iPhones do absolutely nothing for me.

Master
    We are very alike as same with me a year ago I wouldn't have had a problem spending £500 on a phone but my last few phones I have bought used from sc at good prices and as much as I like the Force I don't want to spend that much on it!

I have a unidays 10% discount code that I can use on Motorola UK site so it brings the price of the phones down to this

Nexus 6 £225
    Style £332
    Force £450

so the Nexus is exactly half the price of the Force and I know the Nexus is a bit older but it still has good specs doesn't it, I know the Style is probably the one to get but again the price difference to the Nexus is pretty big!

Decisions :) I just don't know which to go for, I am a bit of a phone flipper as I love Android phones and trying different ones as iPhones do absolutely nothing for me.
    I know exactly what you're saying. If you don't mind the size, I'd say go for the Nexus 6. At this price it is an excellent choice and it is still a very good phone, performance wise. Besides, even if you sell it on in a couple of months, how much can you lose on it? At least you'll have tried it. I'm in a slightly worse situation, because I paid £500 for mine back in June, so now I'd rather either keep it as a spare phone or gift it than sell it for £100

Battery life : I'm currently at 27%, with 3 hours 55 minutes Screen on time (at around 50% brightness). It's not spectacular, but it's not too bad either. I reckon I could get to 4 hours if I tried. What I meant with 'charging twice a day' is that if I, for example, started at 100% in the morning, by 17:30 when I go home I'll have around 15% - 20% so I'd rather charge it again when I'm at my desk instead of having to do it at home, where I'm more likely to be using it and wouldn't want to be stuck next to the charger

Master
    I know exactly what you're saying. If you don't mind the size, I'd say go for the Nexus 6. At this price it is an excellent choice and it is still a very good phone, performance wise. Besides, even if you sell it on in a couple of months, how much can you lose on it? At least you'll have tried it. I'm in a slightly worse situation, because I paid £500 for mine back in June, so now I'd rather either keep it as a spare phone or gift it than sell it for £100

Battery life : I'm currently at 27%, with 3 hours 55 minutes Screen on time (at around 50% brightness). It's not spectacular, but it's not too bad either. I reckon I could get to 4 hours if I tried. What I meant with 'charging twice a day' is that if I, for example, started at 100% in the morning, by 17:30 when I go home I'll have around 15% - 20% so I'd rather charge it again when I'm at my desk instead of having to do it at home, where I'm more likely to be using it and wouldn't want to be stuck next to the charger
    Ahh ok.so.the battery is lasting around 4 hours sot that's not too bad is it and I am a rep out on the road so I can plug.it into the car to charge.

So if you paid £500 in June then £225 a few months later is a good deal isn't it.

You say you changed your phone 4/5 times this year! Wow I thought I was bad :) what did you have and did you like.them?

The Nexus does make sense at £225 and as you say if I don't get on with it I shouldn't lose too much on it.

Master
    Ahh ok.so.the battery is lasting around 4 hours sot that's not too bad is it and I am a rep out on the road so I can plug.it into the car to charge.

So if you paid £500 in June then £225 a few months later is a good deal isn't it.

You say you changed your phone 4/5 times this year! Wow I thought I was bad :) what did you have and did you like.them?

The Nexus does make sense at £225 and as you say if I don't get on with it I shouldn't lose too much on it.
    OK, so I started the year with a Note 3.

Got the Nexus 6 when it came out (it was not in stock from the beginning, so this would be around mid January), but had to send it back because of the burn in problem (so I did not exactly 'buy' it, so to speak).

Then, I thought I'd take a break from Android and try the Windows Mobile. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got a Lumia 930 and, although I liked the phone itself, the OS was way behind Android in terms of, well, pretty much everything.

Switched back to Android and got a G3 because at that moment the only other phone I would consider was the Note 4, and I promised myself that I would not get another Samsung (mainly because of Knox; I did almost buy one, though, because I was on holiday in Australia and, with the dollar being down + a massive sale at a shop there + the TRS it would have been around half the UK price).

Few months later I thought I'd try the Nexus 6 again and see if they fixed the burn in problem. Apparently they did, so I kept it.

And now the X Style.

So, not counting the Note 3 (since technically I did not buy it this year) or the first Nexus 6, this far the Style would be the fourth phone I buy this year. Hopefully, it will be the last as well

Master
    OK, so I started the year with a Note 3.

Got the Nexus 6 when it came out (it was not in stock from the beginning, so this would be around mid January), but had to send it back because of the burn in problem (so I did not exactly 'buy' it, so to speak).

Then, I thought I'd take a break from Android and try the Windows Mobile. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got a Lumia 930 and, although I liked the phone itself, the OS was way behind Android in terms of, well, pretty much everything.

Switched back to Android and got a G3 because at that moment the only other phone I would consider was the Note 4, and I promised myself that I would not get another Samsung (mainly because of Knox; I did almost buy one, though, because I was on holiday in Australia and, with the dollar being down + a massive sale at a shop there + the TRS it would have been around half the UK price).

Few months later I thought I'd try the Nexus 6 again and see if they fixed the burn in problem. Apparently they did, so I kept it.

And now the X Style.

So, not counting the Note 3 (since technically I did not buy it this year) or the first Nexus 6, this far the Style would be the fourth phone I buy this year. Hopefully, it will be the last as well
    heheh you have got it bad and let's hope the Style is the right one for you :)

I was just about to order the blue 32gm Nexus 6 and what do you know they have sold out of 32gb in both colours and just have 64gb left! So the price is now £310 less 10% discount with a unidays voucher which takes it to £279 and the Style 32gb would cost me £332 hmmmm!

I'm worse

From memory this year (probably missed a couple and a few I only had a day or two before selling on or returning)

1+1
    At least 1 Galaxy S5
    3 Nexus 6 (two with issues and one sold)
    2 Moto X 2014
    Note 4
    2 Samsung S6
    Moto X play
    Oneplus X
    iPhone 6+
    Alcatel idol 3 5.5
    2 LG G4 (still using one)

Now trying to talk myself out of a nexus 6P.

Gotta try them all

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I'm worse

From memory this year (probably missed a couple and a few I only had a day or two before selling on or returning)

1+1
    At least 1 Galaxy S5
    2 Moto X 2014
    Note 4
    2 Samsung S6
    Moto X play
    Oneplus X
    iPhone 6+
    Alcatel idol 3 5.5

Gotta try them all
    Hehehe what are you like Bob  I knew you were bad.
    I just went to order the blue nexus 6 32gb but they have sold out and only have the 64gb
    model the 64gb will cost me £279.

I am still toying with the X Style at £332

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I'm worse

1+1
    At least 1 Galaxy S5
    2 Moto X 2014
    Note 4
    2 Samsung S6
    Moto X play
    Oneplus X
    iPhone 6+
    Alcatel idol 3 5.5

Gotta try them all
    Oh yes, I forgot about the 1+1. I had one of those too. Couldn't live with the yellow band at the bottom

Hehehe what are you like Bob  I knew you were bad.
    I just went to order the blue nexus 6 32gb but they have sold out and only have the 64gb
    model the 64gb will cost me £279.

I am still toying with the X Style at £332
    Sorry to hear that Andy
    Last edited by asteclaru; 2nd December 2015 at 19:45.