closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex D-Blue

Journeyman

Rolex D-Blue

OK, here goes, as a newbie not sure how this will go down but have had ridicule on (non-watch) forum elsewhere from (supposed) watch 'afficianado's'...

I like the Rolex D-Blue, there I've said it

Now given I have a GMT, a black Sub' and Hulk Sub' that isn't too much of a shock I guess but, hell's bell's it seems to divide opinion.

I tried one on at Jewellers at a Rolex evening (where I almost bought a 'bruiser' to add to my collection) and I actually have one 'on hold' for me if I decide to take the jump.....

However, in the flesh, the blue to black faded dial is just not bright/obvious/changeable enough for me so I have paused for thought on it. The cost is also a consideration (I don't have the cash stuffed behind the sofa as such that I should just blow on this) BUT I know I would get my money back, if not more, if I changed my mind soon'ish after purchase (and I am not in this to flip it for a quick buck).

On the flip side of that thought I have an Omega and a Bremont on my wish list, both available for less cash (and this isn't a "one Vs two watch?" question).

Just wondered what opinion was and interested to see if as divisive (having read a few comments on Daytona, and I have my own view there too...) as 'other watch people' elsewhere

Blog Entries
    wat?

Journeyman
    ?????

Journeyman
    and your point is what exactly, I ask Google to give me an opinion not a watch forum and it's membership???

It's your call. Seems crazy to buy one just to sell, don't let the chaps around here hear you using the P word. If you got one at RRP chances are you would get your money back or a little bit more, but why bother - just decide what you want and go for it.

The point is if you bother to look it has been discussed plenty of times before- over here.
    Just because you joined recently doesn't mean the forum didn't exist before.

Journeyman
    pardon me for not doing a search and just asking a question......

So before I ask a question, series of question, start a debate, have an opinion I have to thread search and then if there is the merest mention of it leave it there?

Hmmmmmmm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuilder View Post
    and your point is what exactly, I ask Google to give me an opinion not a watch forum and it's membership???
    The first result in the search is a thread ON THIS FORUM.

I think the linker is suggesting you use the search function and you'll see the subject has already been discussed here. Many times.

Master

So before I ask a question, series of question, start a debate, have an opinion I have to thread search and then if there is the merest mention of it leave it there?

Hmmmmmmm
    It certainly faster to search and see if a matter has been discussed already, yes.

Journeyman
    Really, that's how this forum 'works'???

Stats say 3.6m posts so pretty sure most things 'already been covered' but being told "if you bother to look".....hmmmm. Never been told on a forum to check all the history before you decide to 'have a chat', but hey ho maybe Google is the right place for me then.

I'll take the advice on board and try and be a better member in future.........

Hmmmmmmm
    You can post your opinion on one of those threads that fits the best and the post will automatically come to the top and get noticed-
    Serves the double purpose of seeing what others have said about this before as well as registering your opinion and if people want, prompt further debate. I would think it is considerate to do it this way.
    Although,, someone might tell you off for resurrecting an old thread
    Hard to be a newbie here😄😄

Journeyman
    Yep, forums all work different I'm finding - old post resurrection a 'crime' on some

Okay OP, you are taking a bit of a kicking here, so lets try and decide. In the flesh you are not as convinced as presumably you were when looking at pictures of it. You also admit that financially it will not be easy, unless you can remember which couch you stuffed all those notes down. That is two straight negatives against no positives. Therefore not buying the watch wins 2-0. Easy peesie.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Hard to be a newbie here
    Actually it's not that hard. Plenty of people manage it without getting angry, injured, and defensive. One or two newbies just seem to come in with an attitude that the forum should adapt itself to them, not the other way round, and that's bound to put people's backs up.

It's like when you join a group of people chatting in the pub, you don't just barge in and say "Shut up and listen to me!" and start reeling off your opinions. You listen more than you talk, make polite contributions when you can, and you figure out how the group works before you start complaining about it. At least, you do if you've got manners.

Journeyman
    I don't think I came in with an attitude at all, shouting the odds "shut up and listen to me" (not sure how that works as poster of the OP but.....), just a simple posting that is pretty normal in my experience of forums, yep I'll get defensive and ansty when taken to task if I feel its a bit OTT or whatever but after less than 24 hours membership and comments seemingly coming from seniors/experts, or whatever tag long-standing membership gets you after apprenticeship....... then slinging it about 'people with manners' and such like.

OK, I've had my wrist well and truly slapped, didn't 'get' the implied 'rules' and getting a feel for how some senior members want it to work so I'll have a think on that and see how I feel but as I said I'll try and be a better member hereon if I post any more stuff

Master
    Hi carbuilder,
    I'm new here too. May I just suggest that you put this behind you? So far this forum has been very gracious and helpful to a newbie like me and I'm sure they'll do the same for you.
    Don't be afraid of posting anything, given the very low moderation many users will post plenty of tongue in cheek comments, but mostly are just that, tongue in cheek comments. Don't take it too seriously and enjoy the forum.
    Take care,
    Gab

You're not a troll, you try and consider all angles to a scenario, you've got good taste in watches and you like cars. You'll be reet!

The google search link thingy must have made you chuckle a bit no?

I've traded a few watches and learnt a lot so far, enjoying it. There are members here who have had more watches, know more about watches and generally live and breathe the hobby of watch collecting more than you or I ever will. All good in the hood
    Last edited by TimeOut; 26th November 2015 at 18:33. Reason: Speeling

My feeling is that, if you are having doubts about the DSSD Blue, then it isn't what you are after. There are a miriad of watches out there, so take the time to look around and see what really speaks to you if you fancy adding to your great collection. In light of this, £8,250 for something you are having doubts about is imho not the way to go for you at the moment.

I really like the Deep Blue, and would love to own one by the way. The fact that the colour transition on the dial isn't very obvious is to me part of its appeal to me - different, more rare, but subtle (and indeed would probably only be noticed/remarked on by all but a few) - ditto the colour of the word DeepSea. Same applies to a white gold Sub, but that's another story/debate/budget!

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully another member's viewpoint to throw into your considerations .....

Journeyman
    That pretty much sums it up I think Mantaray for my personal position (but will need the "I wonder if I should" feeling to subside somewhat, if it's still there a year from now I'll probably be paying over the odds to get one....) but part of the OP (obviously discussed to death previously I now know so I will search it out) was about opinion on it in general as the topic on a car forum was really divisive over it, strong opinions all round for and against (including Rolex fans/owners), makes the for/against Daytona/date window/whatever words I've read on here so far seem like a PC kids party........

If if I were in your shoes I'd hope they were the right size.

If in doubt don't. It's a lot of money.

On on the other hand... Buy it. Live with it. Love it, keep it. Hate it, sell it.

I hope this helps.
    Gray

Journeyman
    Gray, that's helped. A lot. I think. I'm not sure. Hmmmmm. Damn.......

Blog Entries
    That pretty much sums it up I think Mantaray for my personal position (but will need the "I wonder if I should" feeling to subside somewhat, if it's still there a year from now I'll probably be paying over the odds to get one....) but part of the OP (obviously discussed to death previously I now know so I will search it out) was about opinion on it in general as the topic on a car forum was really divisive over it, strong opinions all round for and against (including Rolex fans/owners), makes the for/against Daytona/date window/whatever words I've read on here so far seem like a PC kids party........
    Could you stick a full stop in there somewhere and avoid the parenthesis? I am quite old, seriously, and cannot understand what you are typing. What is a PC kids party? M
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th November 2015 at 18:23.

Although discussed many times and putting that to one side, consider what the deep blue is. After Rolex stopped making the SD in 2008/09'ish and brought out the deep sea - not everyone was convinced. Some liked it, but the values of the old and by now out of production SDs started to rise. People wanted them with stickers on to lock away in a safe for years etc.

Sales of the deep sea, I understand, were not as good as Rolex had hoped for, all the ADs had them, the grey dealers had them and there were plenty for sale second hand from the people who bought them and didn't like them.

Rolex found a golden opportunity to sort of relaunch the deep sea after the Cameron dive and give it a distictive blue into black dial with the word deep sea in green - a sort of commemorative watch - not a limited edition, but an attempt to shift stock. They also relaunched a new updated SD with a new ceramic insert.

At this time, stocks are shorter than demand - SS Daytona syndrome if you will. But if I was Mystic meg, I can see a point in time in the future when the initial demand has been satisfied, ADs, greys and the second hand dealers all have them in stock and people start to flip, that prices will generally fall.

If you love the watch for what it is, great, but don't buy for any other reason than that.

Hope this helps.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Could you stick a full stop in there somewhere and avoid the parenthesis? I am quite old, seriously, and cannot understand what you are typing. What is a PC kids party? M
    Full stops not necessary in that string and paretheseis follows convention, but it is 'busy' I'll grant you that. Sorry you can't understand. If you read a bit and then hit 'return' every time you come to a pause point I am sure it will make more sense. I've ensured I use full-stops in this as much as possible

PC (Politically Correct) kids party was an attempt at a slightly dubious analogy of how a 'heated debate' here paled in significance when related to another topical debate elsewhere.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Although discussed many times and putting that to one side, consider what the deep blue is. After Rolex stopped making the SD in 2008/09'ish and brought out the deep sea - not everyone was convinced. Some liked it, but the values of the old and by now out of production SDs started to rise. People wanted them with stickers on to lock away in a safe for years etc.

Sales of the deep sea, I understand, were not as good as Rolex had hoped for, all the ADs had them, the grey dealers had them and there were plenty for sale second hand from the people who bought them and didn't like them.

Rolex found a golden opportunity to sort of relaunch the deep sea after the Cameron dive and give it a distictive blue into black dial with the word deep sea in green - a sort of commemorative watch - not a limited edition, but an attempt to shift stock. They also relaunched a new updated SD with a new ceramic insert.

At this time, stocks are shorter than demand - SS Daytona syndrome if you will. But if I was Mystic meg, I can see a point in time in the future when the initial demand has been satisfied, ADs, greys and the second hand dealers all have them in stock and people start to flip, that prices will generally fall.

If you love the watch for what it is, great, but don't buy for any other reason than that.

Hope this helps.
    A few people have said similar that sales will soften pretty soon in their opinions. It isn't about holding value and such-like for me, it's if I like it enough and I think there are other watches maybe creeping ahead in the wish list really. I think I'm slightly underwhelmed by it and that is a disappointment itself really. Think I've decided to pass it by this time and hope not regretful a year on - thanks

A few people have said similar that sales will soften pretty soon in their opinions. It isn't about holding value and such-like for me, it's if I like it enough and I think there are other watches maybe creeping ahead in the wish list really. I think I'm slightly underwhelmed by it and that is a disappointment itself really. Think I've decided to pass it by this time and hope not regretful a year on - thanks
    Spending that kind of money, why not go vintage - you could get a SD 1665 Great White or a Submariner 1680 red for that sort of money - a watch to be proud of !!

Journeyman
    I've struggled on vintage watches. Said this elsewhere but been looking for a Pepsi GMT for 2-3 years now and, for me, it has to be 'mint' (I've seen some awful, overpriced, tat along the way). Even the 'best' one I saw had me stop and pause slightly in that my 2012 ceramic bezel GMT was just 'better' in so many ways and change is done to improve not just give the advertisors something to write about sometimes.

Closest analogy I have on that is like trying to compare an old car (and I'm not on about classic vintage here), say a 1984 Austin Maestro with a 2012 Ford Focus....

smug:

PC (Politically Correct) kids party was an attempt at a slightly dubious analogy of how a 'heated debate' here paled in significance when related to another topical debate elsewhere.
    Yes but did they have a debate for 2 weeks about whether to call it a D-Blue, DSSDDB or DSSDJCDB?

Rolex say D-Blue so you're good I think.

Vintage Rolex are obviously not as well made as new ones but some people still seem to want them, whereas no one wants an 84 Maestro.

Can't see the attraction myself, I just see the dents - sorry character - the age-damaged plots / hands, the crappy bracelets, the cheap bezels and huge prices and wonder 'why?'.

I don't think I came in with an attitude at all
    Full stops not necessary in that string and paretheseis follows convention, but it is 'busy' I'll grant you that. Sorry you can't understand.
    That's the kind of attitude I meant. Being new doesn't excuse you for being rude and obstreperous.

Journeyman
    For gods sake how the hell do you apologise on this site - I answered your question and even tried to inject a bit of humour in it FFS......

I actually give up, already,.....it's like being in a hierachical club and I'll be smacked down by 'better' people.

Thanks anyway

- - - Updated - - -

For gods sake how the hell do you apologise on this site - I answered your question and even tried to inject a bit of humour in it FFS......

I actually give up, already,.....it's like being in a hierachical club and I'll be smacked down by 'better' people.

Thanks anyway

FWIW
    the blue to black faded dial is just not bright/obvious/changeable enough for me
    I can understand this point, it does seem to lack a little bit to my eyes too. But only you can decide if it’s a deal-breaker.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    I think if I didn't have a GMT and subs already I may have been a bit more likely but as it is......

Blog Entries
    OP - If you don't like it in the flesh (it seems that you are not really smitten by it from what you have commented in the first post) don't buy it.... simples

(i'm sure you'll get used to the banter here eventually - maybe come along to a GTG sometime and share a pint - written words often get confusing - they do for me anyway!)

Blog Entries
    carbuilder;

As a long standing member I feel it is reasonable for you to strike up a new thread regardless of if it has been discussed. It helps spark up your confidence and banter with like minded individuals..

If folk want to add constructive replies and assist great stuff, if not then I cannot understand why the need is felt to berate you.

I do hope this experience has not put you off enjoying this great place.

Paul

Craftsman
    If you don't like the watch, you don't like the watch. Done. Not sure why there needs to be a chin wag about it, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Vintage Rolex are obviously not as well made as new ones but some people still seem to want them, whereas no one wants an 84 Maestro.

Can't see the attraction myself, I just see the dents - sorry character - the age-damaged plots / hands, the crappy bracelets, the cheap bezels and huge prices and wonder 'why?'.
    Or indeed as big and heavy, and for what its worth a 1000ft was the same 30 years ago as it is today.

Oh and OP, starting a new thread is all well and good, but when the subject has been covered before it just suggests a lack of forethought, anyhow its good to have you aboard, enjoy the journey.

At 8 or so grand there is so much more out there. At 5 grand used for a standard black dial Deepsea, they are an engineering marvel and not large compared to Breitling, Omega, Blancpain, AP or any of their perceived rivals.

If you don't see the value in the blue dial, that's fair enough, it's a gimmick making a tough-seller fly out the door at full price, hopefully creating a halo effect for the standard watch. But Rolex do very few gimmicks and if the past repeats itself, this could hold its value well.

For me, a Fifty Fathoms or AP Diver are more interesting for the money.

The D-blue is on my wishlist; I wish I'd cine across one at an airport duty free sometime.

I think the bit about googling before asking is plain b-s. If a thread holds little interest for you, move on.

Master
    Now that we are all calmer, can I ask how do you get that "let me google this for you" thing?
    I thought was hilarious :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Now that we are all calmer, can I ask how do you get that "let me google this for you" thing?
    http://bit.ly/1jkc5K9

Master
    I should have seen that coming a mile away...
    Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I should have seen that coming a mile away...
    Brilliant

Hahaha!
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

Rolex D-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You can post your opinion on one of those threads that fits the best and the post will automatically come to the top and get noticed-
    Serves the double purpose of seeing what others have said about this before as well as registering your opinion and if people want, prompt further debate. I would think it is considerate to do it this way.
    Although,, someone might tell you off for resurrecting an old thread
    Hard to be a newbie here
    Deleted....didn't read the response properly
    Last edited by jimmer42; 27th November 2015 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by psikat View Post
    The D-blue is on my wishlist; I wish I'd cine across one at an airport duty free sometime.

I think the bit about googling before asking is plain b-s. If a thread holds little interest for you, move on.
    You've been here a while, its not about doing a search through Google, rather using the forum search function for example, I want to ask a particular question regarding a popular Rolex model, I go to the advanced search, enter my question and hey the threads appear like magic, then as Rajen says you add to the thread that reflects what you want to say.

Carbuilder- what kind of bumba ras claat thread have you started?

If you're not keen on the graduated dial on a certain watch, don't buy the cocking thing!

I think you and internet watch questions don't go well.

Get yourself to the boys room and look at the gif thread, you'll see the forum as it really is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You've been here a while, its not about doing a search through Google, rather using the forum search function for example, I want to ask a particular question regarding a popular Rolex model, I go to the advanced search, enter my question and hey the threads appear like magic, then as Rajen says you add to the thread that reflects what you want to say.
    But would you then be accused of restarting an old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    But would you then be accused of restarting an old thread?
    Oh god Baldrick!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I think you and internet watch questions don't go well.
    He hinted that he has parted company with a number of other forums (I can't think why), and he now appears to have retired, hurt, from this one.