closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Induction Hobs

Master

Induction Hobs

I'm about to replace my ageing halogen hob with an induction one. Not after anything too fancy - 4 rings, touch control and max power available (I think that is 7.2kw)

Has anyone got any suggestions brand wise, I generally go for Bosch kitchen appliances but am willing to give something else a whirl.

Master
    I've no idea, but also in the market & interested in views.

Master
    Went through the same thing earlier in the year and ended up going for a Siemens model - mainly as the design fitted in with the rest of the kitchen.

I wanted a flexi zone (or at least I think I do, haven't really used it yet). But there are decent models from Neff, Bosch etc out there. I would go to a decent kitchen showroom and take a look and see what you like the look of - for example, Neff do these magnetic control knobs that I just couldn't get on with so that ruled them out.

Cheers

A Whirlpool comes out top of Which?'s reviews..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Went through the same thing earlier in the year and ended up going for a Siemens model - mainly as the design fitted in with the rest of the kitchen.

I wanted a flexi zone (or at least I think I do, haven't really used it yet). But there are decent models from Neff, Bosch etc out there. I would go to a decent kitchen showroom and take a look and see what you like the look of - for example, Neff do these magnetic control knobs that I just couldn't get on with so that ruled them out.

Cheers
    Got a Siemans one about 3-4 years ago. I wouldn't go for Siemans again. Induction is good but our Siemans is a pain :-( Tried three different sets of induction pans and they all give issues. Basically the hob comes up with an error indicating there's no pan there! We have two expensive frying pans that work but any of the other pans it's hit and miss :-( Luckily we very rarely cook on a hob anyway (oven and microwave mainly) so it's not a big issue. ISTR the hob was fine for the first 2 years when it was still under warranty.

Journeyman
    We have a Neff , one of the simple four pan models, the power output is programmable when you install it depending on the supply. I installed it over three years ago, we don't have gas but I don't think we would go back now anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Got a Siemans one about 3-4 years ago. I wouldn't go for Siemans again. Induction is good but our Siemans is a pain :-( Tried three different sets of induction pans and they all give issues. Basically the hob comes up with an error indicating there's no pan there! We have two expensive frying pans that work but any of the other pans it's hit and miss :-( Luckily we very rarely cook on a hob anyway (oven and microwave mainly) so it's not a big issue. ISTR the hob was fine for the first 2 years when it was still under warranty.
    Thats Sieimens off the list then!

We use a Siemans.... had it 2 years now and it's been great. Hasn't been a problem with any pan (as long as you can stick a magnet to the base of the pan) of ours. Saves a lot of electricity.. cooks very quick and easy to wipe clean. I notice they use induction on Master Chef now.
    Go for it they are excellent!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    We use a Siemans.... had it 2 years now and it's been great. Hasn't been a problem with any pan (as long as you can stick a magnet to the base of the pan) of ours. Saves a lot of electricity.. cooks very quick and easy to wipe clean. I notice they use induction on Master Chef now.
    Go for it they are excellent!
    And back on the list!

Master
    We've recently been getting used to the Miele one in our new place.
    Obviously not the cheapest. But very pleased with it. Easy to use etc.
    And works a dream with battered old le creuset (cast iron) pans :)

We've had a Neff one for about 4 years- it's been brilliant. Previously had gas and wouldn't go back.

Master
    I installed this AEG Which recommended hob in April http://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-hk65420...-black/p569577 The good thing is that it has separate controls for each ring which some do not.

I've got a Neff 800mm wide induction and it's amazing...even has a magnetic button which you can take off! I'd highly recommend- lightning quick heating up, especially with Pulse function. They do it in 600mm as well.
    Had to have thicker electric cable, so bear that in mind

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    I'm about to replace my ageing halogen hob with an induction one. Not after anything too fancy - 4 rings, touch control and max power available (I think that is 7.2kw)

Has anyone got any suggestions brand wise, I generally go for Bosch kitchen appliances but am willing to give something else a whirl.

Remember Neff, Bosch and Siemens will all share the same underpinnings.
    We've had 3 induction hobs in 9 years. 1st one was Neff that stopped working after 4 years. 2nd was an Ikea (made by Whirlpool I think) which smashed when a pot was dropped on it. Latest is a Beko!
    It's been 100% reliable in the three and half years we have had it, just as powerful as the others, and very kind on the wallet.

Master
    Another vote for Siemens! 5 years excellent service. Put it on boost and it is FAST

PS If you go Siemens and go 'side by side' eg induction and gas, and need a 'separator strip' let me know!

Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I installed this AEG Which recommended hob in April http://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-hk65420...-black/p569577 The good thing is that it has separate controls for each ring which some do not.
    This one seems to get good reviews with both Which and Good House Keeping. 10% off at Currys and £150 cash back via AEG over the Black Friday weekend, so seems like a no brainer.

Craftsman
    Neff now do a couple of hobs that can just be plugged in so no need for a costly dedicated supply. So would just be a straight swap for your halogen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    Neff now do a couple of hobs that can just be plugged in so no need for a costly dedicated supply. So would just be a straight swap for your halogen.
    They tend to be lower powered but I am already lucky enough have a dedicated supply so no worries there, my Dad is a spark......

We have an Aga one - huge, and requires an upgraded 32amp supply.

Pretty awesome though. Very powerful, very fast, and dead easy to clean.

Induction is definitely the way to go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Pretty awesome though. Very powerful, very fast, and dead easy to clean.

Induction is definitely the way to go.
    Love anything Aga - used to work fo them.

Blog Entries
    I've an AEG one... A domino hob... Works a treat although they wer massive dicks when I had an issue...

My set up is 3 domino hiobs - one induction, one gas and one indoor barbecue... All pretty useful!

Inductions are great for controlled cooking - slow or hot and brilliant for quickly reducing sauces

Also get rid of your kettle as we find the induction kettle on out hob boils quicker than any kettle

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That's what puts me off getting one. How do electricians manage to get a supply to a kitchen (with a tiled floor) without massive disruption?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That's what puts me off getting one. How do electricians manage to get a supply to a kitchen (with a tiled floor) without massive disruption?
    As I said up thread the Neff unit I have can have either a 20 amp or 13 amp supply and the hob is programmable to the supply. I would imagine a hob requiring a 32 amp supply is larger than most homes would need or is an older design. The latest units have some clever power sharing electronic so even with all the rings in use the demand never exceeds the supply.

Induction is great but touch control is major pain in the rear end; stay away from if possible.