closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DS Solutions UK

DS Solutions UK

Hello all.

There is a new source of Phoenix G10 NATO straps from DS Solutions UK http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/produc...roducts_id=289 at a reasonable price.

I've dealt with John before. He is very knowledgeable (ex British Army armourer) and he gives excellent service. Highly recommended.

Regards

Could be confusing.

Nominally the straps are listed as 20mm wide, the actual width is 18mm.
    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

He is also not selling Phoenix straps.
    Those straps pictured in that link have springbar buckles, not solid ones.
    Phoenix straps (in fact all true NATO straps) do not have springbar buckles, it totally defeats the safety of not having to rely on a springbar.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    He is also not selling Phoenix straps.
    Those straps pictured in that link have springbar buckles, not solid ones.
    Phoenix straps (in fact all true NATO straps) do not have springbar buckles, it totally defeats the safety of not having to rely on a springbar.
    D
    dave on MWR is of the opinion that: "I do think they are the real deal, and less than half the price of the others on ebay.
    probably NOS prior to the introduction of the current one piece stainless steel laser etched buckle. recently acquired 4 of these in 18mm exactly the same as those shown in the OP link".

Yes, the straps ARE genuine Phoenix straps made by Mike Steward. The straps that John at DS Solutions UK is selling are identical to a strap that I bought from Mike off eBay in September 2011. Mike told me at the time that the straps being sold were excess to an order supplied to the MoD in 2008-2009. I have attached the screen capture I did of the eBay page and a blow up of the photo on that page where you can just see the hole in the buckle for the spring bar. I have also attached photos posted here (or MWR) at some time in the past that I downloaded showing a comparison between a Phoenix strap (with buckle spring bar!) and a Maratac strap.

I guess the choice between a solid buckle and a spring bar buckle is a personal one, but I for one am happy with what John has supplied.

We are really lucky out here in the watch collecting community to have great suppliers like Eddie, Mike and now John.

Regards to all

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...pscl8xmkfq.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psohdjduqe.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psy1xon2x0.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psgvqct0zv.jpg

That's very interesting, thanks for the reply.
    I have several Phoenix NATOs, ones that I have bought direct from them up to 5 years ago, even including one of their woven perlon ones before they were unable to continue to make them. All have solid buckles without springbars. The ones they sent me 2 weeks ago definitely do.
    However, I look now on their Ebay page and I do see some springbar buckles, primarily on the more decorative colour straps.

I do have one welded NATO that has a springbar buckle, but I have no idea where that came from, it arrived on a watch.

I know that buckle springbars are significantly shorter and therefore less prone to failure than lug springbars. But I would still maintain that it is a weak point and an unusual choice for a NATO.

But it seems that I was wrong in my assertions and I apologise as it seems they could very well be Phoenix straps, and well priced too.

Sorry for casting any doubt on them.

Dave

This is a NATO strap I have in different several sizes up to 22mm, all came from Silvermans in Mile End about 18 months ago.

I notice Eddie's NATO straps are available with either one-piece buckles or spring-bar type buckles. Perhaps Pheonix offer a similar choice with theirs.

My NATO straps are not, and never have been, supplied with springbar buckles and I sold Phoenix NATO straps from 1999 until 2005 and never had a springbar buckle from them either.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Got it.

It looked like the one that came with my PRS-18 had a spring bar but it must be a fixed bar of some sort in that case.

Thanks for clarification.