closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival - who has a watch with a smooth sweeping second hand?

New arrival - who has a watch with a smooth sweeping second hand?

I guess most of you could answer "I do" to that question. How about a watch with a smooth sweeping second hand that you don't have to wind? Again, if you've got an automatic and you wear it a lot, you've got that nailed too. How about a watch with a smooth sweeping second hand that you can take off and let sit for weeks on end and then pick up to find that it's still running, close to spot on with atomic time, and still has that sweeping second hand thing?

Not as many people? I just got a watch like that - it has Bulova's UHF (ultra high frequency) quartz movement. Extra bonus points to Bulova for using classic design cues rather than making it look horrendous, like so many modern low price watches, I picked it up on Amazon (Amazon UK has 'em too) for the equivalent of £160.

Master
    Well I do ;-) And I used to have a couple more.

I guess the Bulovas, the hummers and the spring drives are the only ones that qualify. There's definitely something hypnotic about a genuinely smooth second hand.

Ahhh, yes - I have a buddy with a pretty extensive vintage Omega collection that includes a few of the hummers. Beautiful things they are, too. I knew I'd never be able to work one into the budget without selling off a sizable chunk of the collection I have.

Me!

M

Well, a sweeping sub-second hand. I love a hummer.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Ahhh, yes - I have a buddy with a pretty extensive vintage Omega collection that includes a few of the hummers. Beautiful things they are, too. I knew I'd never be able to work one into the budget without selling off a sizable chunk of the collection I have.
    With the exception of a couple of models, most hummers are arguably underpriced and very good value relative to their quality...

Master
    On a TV programme a while back, someone who probably had no idea what he was talking about, claimed that the way to tell a real Rolex from a fake was that on a real one, the second hand swept smoothly. Is that based on any fact however vaguely, or is it pure nonsense?? I don't have a Rolex handy (real or fake) to check!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    With the exception of a couple of models, most hummers are arguably underpriced and very good value relative to their quality...
    I have never priced them, but probably just made an assumption based on perceived rarity. Are they expensive to maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    On a TV programme a while back, someone who probably had no idea what he was talking about, claimed that the way to tell a real Rolex from a fake was that on a real one, the second hand swept smoothly. Is that based on any fact however vaguely, or is it pure nonsense?? I don't have a Rolex handy (real or fake) to check!
    Other than the Oysterquartz model, there are no Rolexes that feature a quartz movement... so that rule of thumb has always been a pretty good yardstick for separating the real deal from the fakes. Of course, that may change with the introduction of cheap high frequency quartz movements into the market. Yikes! hadn't thought about that. How long before we see the first fake Rolexes with these movements?

Master
    Other than the Oysterquartz model, there are no Rolexes that feature a quartz movement... so that rule of thumb has always been a pretty good yardstick for separating the real deal from the fakes. Of course, that may change with the introduction of cheap high frequency quartz movements into the market. Yikes! hadn't thought about that. How long before we see the first fake Rolexes with these movements?
    The mischievous side of me can't help thinking that a fake Rolex with decent quartz movement would actually be more accurate than the real (mechanical) thing!!

The mischievous side of me can't help thinking that a fake Rolex with decent quartz movement would actually be more accurate than the real (mechanical) thing!!
    Well, I don't want to stoke that fire, but my 14060M gains fifteen seconds per day. This Bulova is spot on with atomic time after a week. But I'd still keep the real Rolex over the Bulova!

Apprentice
    Probably right, but it is a lot about the soul as well

Quote Originally Posted by mruhr View Post
    Ah, soul.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by mruhr View Post
    Does a machine have one?

Does a machine have one?
    The question at the heart of Isaac Asimov's entire body of work.

Apprentice
    Does a machine have one?
    If it is well crafted yes, you can perceive the craftsmanship put into it. It is still something analogue which may behave differently under different conditions so some traits of soul

I believe that my f300 dreams of electric sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I believe that my f300 dreams of electric sheep.
    You are Rick Deckard and I claim my £5.00.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I have !

IWC electronic, Omega f300, Bulova Accutrons...

They are adorable !!
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 26th November 2015 at 04:59. Reason: speeling orrers

Err.... and no-one could possibly make a fake with a cheap mechanical movement, presumably...?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Err.... and no-one could possibly make a fake with a cheap mechanical movement, presumably...?

M
    Well, sure - but my point being that the sweep of the second hand on the UHF movement is a LOT more likely to be mistaken for a high quality mechanical (although at that point I suppose the proof in the pudding would be holding the watch up to your ear - do you hear it ticking or not?). I can spot the jittery sweep of a cheap mechanical from a mile away.
    Last edited by TakesALickin; 26th November 2015 at 17:09.

Well, sure - but my point being that the sweep of the second hand on the UHF movement is a LOT more like to be mistaken for a high quality mechanical (although at that point I suppose the proof in the pudding would be holding the watch up to your ear - do you hear it ticking or not?). I can spot the jittery sweep of a cheap mechanical from a mile away.
    Fair enough, although I find I can spot the jittery sweep of a Precisionist quite easily (although the recent, cheaper UHF Bulovas seem smoother to me...).

A fake Rolex doesn't have to have a really cheap mechanical movement. A semi decent ETA (or clone) will be pretty smooth.

M

Master
    I bought this as an impulse buy when the Precisionist first came out, the novelty soon wore off as it is a big ugly beast, yours looks a lot nicer.

Master
    Talking of smooth vs jumping hands, I've recently bought a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Whilst the second hand goes in 1 second steps, I was rather surprised that - unlike every other watch I've ever owned - the minute hand doesn't sweep smoothly, but progresses in steps every 15 secs. I thought I was seeing things at first!

Talking of smooth vs jumping hands, I've recently bought a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Whilst the second hand goes in 1 second steps, I was rather surprised that - unlike every other watch I've ever owned - the minute hand doesn't sweep smoothly, but progresses in steps every 15 secs. I thought I was seeing things at first!
    Mmm - my Eco-Drives have never done that, but my Breitling B-1's minute hand steps every 30 seconds.

M.

Blog Entries
    Just checked and the Eco Drive that I am currently wearing also steps every 15 seconds.

Craftsman
    Meeeeee

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mmm - my Eco-Drives have never done that, but my Breitling B-1's minute hand steps every 30 seconds.

M.
    Phew. I thought for one moment that I was going potty, or there was a problem! (though the former may be true anyway!). Mine is the E820 calibre movement (perpetual calendar) - its a complex piece of machinery!