closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How should I look after my dad's old 1950's Omega Seamaster?

Apprentice

How should I look after my dad's old 1950's Omega Seamaster?

It has some staining on the dial.
    Can it (should it) be cleaned?
    Who should I send it to?
    The expanding bracelet links say SPEIDEL PAT 2.689.450

IMG_3028.jpg

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GARRYW View Post
    It has some staining on the dial.
    Can it (should it) be cleaned?
    Who should I send it to?
    The expanding bracelet links say SPEIDEL PAT 2.689.450

IMG_3028.jpg
    There ae some hints for looking after your watch on my website:

http://webwatchmaker.com/watchcare.htm

Grand Master
    It might be as well to post pics. If the staining isn't that extensive you would maybe be better value wise to leave as is and just have it serviced, I can recommend the above poster, webwatchmaker who has done good work for me in the past, and also walkerwek1958 if he's taking work on is an excellent guy too. He rebuilt a total basket case of a tissot for me and had it looking like a new watch...see thread below.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ot+restoration

I should never have sold this, i wonder where it is now??
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 25th November 2015 at 00:57.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    It might be as well to post pics. If the staining isn't that extensive you would maybe be better value wise to leave as is and just have it serviced, I can recommend the above poster, webwatchmaker who has done good work for me in the past, and also walkerwek1958 if he's taking work on is an excellent guy too. He rebuilt a total basket case of a tissot for me and had it looking like a new watch...see thread below.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ot+restoration

I should never have sold this, i wonder where it is now??
    Thanks for the advice.
    I did post a pic it came up as this IMG_3028.jpg
    at the foot of the post. Did I do that wrong?
    regards

Grand Master
    Thanks for the advice.
    I did post a pic it came up as this IMG_3028.jpg
    at the foot of the post. Did I do that wrong?
    regards
    seen it now, unless it drives you mad i'd leave the dial as is and just get it serviced and repolished.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    seen it now, unless it drives you mad i'd leave the dial as is and just get it serviced and repolished.
    I agree.
    Dial restorations can look great especially on old chronographs but I think it would devalue a classic like yours.
    It wouldn't look original.
    It can always be done later.

Banned
    I'd be happy to service your Omega for you.

2-3 weeks.

£100 plus parts.

Master
    In case anyone wants to see the pic:

Id get the dial checked out if there intent to wear on a daily basis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    In case anyone wants to see the pic:

I have a spare dial similar to yours.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I have a spare dial similar to yours.
    Thanks Guys

I have asked walkerwek1958 to have a look at it.
    I was so impressed with his Tissot restoration post.
    Many thanks for your offer webwatchmaker. And your helpful advice.
    Paul and I will post the progress.

Regards

GARRYW

Going with either of those guys puts you on a winner - they know their stuff and their posts on here consistently show this.

To what extent is Paul going to work on the watch?

Banned
    Thanks Guys

I have asked walkerwek1958 to have a look at it.
    I was so impressed with his Tissot restoration post.
    Many thanks for your offer webwatchmaker. And your helpful advice.
    Paul and I will post the progress.

Regards

GARRYW
    Glad to help and absolutely delighted for Paul.

You always have a choice when using independents !

Brendan.

Journeyman
    I'd get it restored (or do it myself). What a lovely watch :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Going with either of those guys puts you on a winner - they know their stuff and their posts on here consistently show this.

To what extent is Paul going to work on the watch?
    Paul to advise after he sees the extent of work and possibilities.

Journeyman
    Oh yes, and you should wear it!

That's a nice original watch and an heirloom.

Personally I'd leave the dial as it is otherwise it will no longer be your Dad's watch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Personally I'd leave the dial as it is otherwise it will no longer be your Dad's watch.
    Fair comment Neil, and a fact I`m aware of. The watch owner and I will have that discussion again before it gets refinished. There is an element of 'stripping away the history' when refinishing a watch dial or case. With jobs like this I present the options and point out the pros and cons; the right answer for one owner isn`t the same for another.

Much as I like sharp restored watches, I`m not sure what I`d do if this watch had belonged to my father. I`d probably get it running properly, wear it a while, then decide to refinish it....but that's me.

I have my dad's gold-plated rotary quartz on my bench, it doesn`t get worn but I use it as a timer for checking mechanicals, so it's still getting used and it's a nice momento. He had a 1950s Roamer for many years but unfortunately lost it in the late 70s.....would've loved to own that now.

Paul

Nice watch OP.

My one is currently with Webwatchmaker for some tlc. I've been debating whether to do some restoration on the dial or leave it. I'm still in two minds. One thing I do know is that if my watch belonged to my Dad, it would be staying as original as possible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    walkerwek1958 did a great job of my granddad's watch ...

Case was replated ... removed Granddad's wear & tear but gave me back the watch that he wore if that makes sense.

Hands and dial were not replaced or refinished.

Well, it will wont it? Just cleaned up a bit, looking like it and its owner, in their prime. The core of the watch will be comprised of the same atoms as it always has! ;)

I understand the thinking behind that comment, don't get me wrong, but one could counter by asking if one was left a vintage car by ones father and it was a rustbucket, would restoring it be the wrong thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    walkerwek1958 did a great job of my granddad's watch ...

Case was replated ... removed Granddad's wear & tear but gave me back the watch that he wore if that makes sense.

Hands and dial were not replaced or refinished.

Thats beautiful!

I have my Grandads RAF watch, had it serviced a long while back, but left it as is regarding the dial, case etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    I have my Grandads RAF watch, had it serviced a long while back, but left it as is regarding the dial, case etc.

To me that looks perfect as it is.

Especially the original blued steel hands.

Restoring the case would make it look 'new' and restoring the dial would lose it's secret history.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    To me that looks perfect as it is.

Especially the original blued steel hands.

Restoring the case would make it look 'new' and restoring the dial would lose it's secret history.
    Exactly right Brendan.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Well, it will wont it? Just cleaned up a bit, looking like it and its owner, in their prime. The core of the watch will be comprised of the same atoms as it always has! ;)

I understand the thinking behind that comment, don't get me wrong, but one could counter by asking if one was left a vintage car by ones father and it was a rustbucket, would restoring it be the wrong thing to do?

Why go off on a straw man car tangent?

We are talking about a specific watch that belonged to a member's Father. The OP asked for input and I gave mine, that's all.

If you think it should be polished up and the dial repainted to look "new", say so.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Why go off on a straw man car tangent?

We are talking about a specific watch that belonged to a member's Father. The OP asked for input and I gave mine, that's all.

If you think it should be polished up and the dial repainted to look "new", say so.
    Hardly a tangent - just adding perspective. Perspective often helps.
    As for what I think - well, its not my watch, so that hardly matters but I certainly don't think that either course of action would take anything away from the watch.
    Regardless of what one does to the OPs watch - short of replacing all the parts - it will always remain his fathers watch.

Out of curiosity - what would you advise in the fathers car scenario?

I have a 1950s bumper that on the face of it looks almost identical to the OP's. The dial is the original finish but showing some sign of its age (nicely though). Plain screw back case and calibre 351. The case on this one has had some sympathetic refinishing but I'm happy with the result. Photos in case they're useful for reference:

Last edited by colin t; 28th November 2015 at 16:32.

Grand Master
    Thanks for showing that Colin, nice one!

The OP's watch arrived with me today. It's a cal 354 with a snap-back case. Strange that Omega produced both snap-back and screw-back cases during the same era; I suspect they were made in different parts of the world, this was a time when watches attracted high import taxes and it was commonplace to produce cases locally to avoid taxes etc. I have late 50s gold Seamaster with a similar snap-back case that was sold originally in Italy. How times change!

Sympathetic restoration is the watchword (pardon the pun) with the OP's watch. I`m optimistic about cleaning the dial successfully now I`ve seen it, and that would be the ideal outcome because it keeps the originality but improves the aesthetic appeal.

Much as I`m a fan of these 50s Seamasters, and fortunate to own 3, I don`t own a steel one. I have a restoration project in the drawer that was originally bought to fix up and sell on........I think that plan might be changing!

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks for showing that Colin, nice one!

The OP's watch arrived with me today. It's a cal 354 with a snap-back case. Strange that Omega produced both snap-back and screw-back cases during the same era; I suspect they were made in different parts of the world, this was a time when watches attracted high import taxes and it was commonplace to produce cases locally to avoid taxes etc. I have late 50s gold Seamaster with a similar snap-back case that was sold originally in Italy. How times change!

Sympathetic restoration is the watchword (pardon the pun) with the OP's watch. I`m optimistic about cleaning the dial successfully now I`ve seen it, and that would be the ideal outcome because it keeps the originality but improves the aesthetic appeal.

Much as I`m a fan of these 50s Seamasters, and fortunate to own 3, I don`t own a steel one. I have a restoration project in the drawer that was originally bought to fix up and sell on........I think that plan might be changing!

Paul
    For me the watch will always be my dad's whether clean or tarnished.
    As a meticulous aircraft engineer I think he would have like it to be as good as new.
    It hasn't aged well since he passed away over 30 years ago.

This was an early encounter with me him and that brand new Omega watch.

Dad Watch.jpg

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I have a 1950s bumper that on the face of it looks almost identical to the OP's. The dial is the original finish but showing some sign of its age (nicely though). Plain screw back case and calibre 351. The case on this one has had some sympathetic refinishing but I'm happy with the result. Photos in case they're useful for reference:

Wow very pretty Colin. Serial nos would make it 1950/51?

Wow very pretty Colin. Serial nos would make it 1950/51?
    Thanks Garry, and yes 1950/51 seems to be the date of manufacture.

There's been talk of repainting or replacing the dial, but is just cleaning it an option?

I, personally, would like it brighter and cleaner, but I wouldn't want to repaint or replace the dial on a watch my father/grandfather owned (I don't have either, though) unless it was really beyond use.

M.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There's been talk of repainting or replacing the dial, but is just cleaning it an option?

I, personally, would like it brighter and cleaner, but I wouldn't want to repaint or replace the dial on a watch my father/grandfather owned (I don't have either, though) unless it was really beyond use.

M.
    Ideally, that would be the case. However, if a dial has become very stained and discoloured it often isn`t successful. More importantly, if the lacquer has started lifting there's no chance of getting it to look right.

A dial that's refinished to a high standard replicates the original very closely; that recreates the appeal the watch had when the original owner received (or bought) it from new.

I`m all in favour of preserving mild patina, but when a dial's gone from silver to dirty brown it's completely changed it's appearance. Whether that should be retained, or the original appearance recreated, is a moot point. It's ended up looking like it was never intended to look.

With all due respect to those who advocate originality at all costs, how many of you have had the experience of owning a properly restored vintage watch that looks, feels and runs like it did on the day it was bought? I`ve got a few in this this category (one of which is genuine new-old stock from the 60s) and I`ve restored several to the same standard.

Looking at Colin t's watch, that's an ideal example of a lightly aged dial that's still got it's original colour. The one I'm working with has turned very brown and spotty and it's looking like it won`t clean to an acceptable standard.

Paul